ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

raksrules said:
^^Since you are in UK, you do have the privilege to get it RMA/replaced. In that scenario, you should do that. :)

I raised a RMA request yesterday and got the refurbished one today :)

The LCD Information says

IC: TL2796

Glass: SAMSUNG

Resolution: 480*800

Build - OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

Does this mean its an OLED? :)

^^ Congrats its an AMOLED :D

Also to confirm look on the edges of the screen....there wont be any back-light unlike LCD screens

Awesome dude !!

tell me one thing, did the replacement one have a screen protector?

Yeah its looks very nice. Black is like pitch black...For the first time i am liking that Orange logo on boot :)

However, now the bad part. The old back cover doesn't seem to fit the new phone...Without battery it fits, with battery, it doesn't.

Also, tried to watch some videos i had on the SD card. They just amazed me but then random reboots (3 since evening) during video watching or just browsing are making me worried.

Is it the stock ROM or do u think it may be a problem with the hardware! The fun part has to get over and looks like i am not that lucky :(

Have done a Factory Reset now just in case. Will see tomorrow what happens.

Julian, yeah it had the screen protector on but a crap one. I removed it as soon as i got it :p

Hi, I have bought a new Dell XCD 35 from letsbuy. I got it with eclair (android 2.1) with 512 mb ram. Its a gen 1 device according to "ask mr pig fish". As you know-Dell is giving free update to froyo through their service centers. Am not planning to mod it and thereby void the 1 year warranty provided by dell. Maybe after 1 year i will mod it. My question is should i upgrade to froyo or not. ?

haritr said:
Hi, I have bought a new Dell XCD 35 from letsbuy. I got it with eclair (android 2.1) with 512 mb ram. Its a gen 1 device according to "ask mr pig fish". As you know-Dell is giving free update to froyo through their service centers. Am not planning to mod it and thereby void the 1 year warranty provided by dell. Maybe after 1 year i will mod it. My question is should i upgrade to froyo or not. ?
Are you sure that you got 512MB RAM? Since the eclair based gen1 xcd35 had software lock thereby making only 256MB available

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

raksrules said:
Are you sure that you got 512MB RAM? Since the eclair based gen1 xcd35 had software lock thereby making only 256MB available

Even i received an xcd35 from letsbuy which was on android 2.1 but still it came with 512MB ram.

I suddenly started showing interest in XCD35 since i came to know it has 512 MB RAM and a nice display resolution. and because it is available at a price less than 9K

But leaving all custom mod friendly apart, where does it stand with stock(2.2 version) ROM ??

My primary requirements are

1. watching Videos(Divx,Xvid etc)

2. not much of a gamer but do play occasional games

3. Browsing & email(i dont need flash support as it eats up bandwidth anyway)

4. battery backup(1-1.5 days)

I dont want to ruin any warranty, but then after a year, would love to explore custom ROMs for 2.3 2.4!! etc

Yea, i will be updating it to froyo tomorrow, There is post by someone in dell india facebook page about gingerbread update, they may give gingerbread update as well, as Zte confirmed the update . :)

saidu said:
A quick question !

On my Nokia e63 and as well as on my friends Nexus one, if I plug in a ear phones without a mic, it uses the earphone for "audio out" and uses the mic of the handset for "Audio in". Where as if plug in a ear phone + mic hands free, it uses handsfree for both "Audio In and Audio out".

Now if I connect an earphone without mic (such as ep630) to my blade, some how it recognises the ear phone as earphone + mic. So it enables only audio out and NO audio in. In a nut shell, you can listen to call, nut cannot speak. Any one has noticed this and any solutions ?

Wow, this means that the circuitry on those phones actually detects whether a simple headphone or a handsfree is plugged into the TRRS jack. I didn't even know that was possible till now. The Blade probably doesn't have this feature. Not sure if it can be done in software. Anyone have more info on this?

clown_abhi said:
Julian, yeah it had the screen protector on but a crap one. I removed it as soon as i got it :p

Reason I asked is because i thought only a new phone would come with a screen protector, not a refurbished one. How are you sure it's a refurb?

Julian said:
Reason I asked is because i thought only a new phone would come with a screen protector, not a refurbished one. How are you sure it's a refurb?
Well, i dnt know but it was written on the box as replacement. The restarts have now stopped after the factory reset. :) And found a difference with the OLED model than TFT. The viewing angles are perfect in OLED whereas the TFT was impossible at even the slightest turn :) But the TFTs are much sharper (Wonder how at the same resolution!).

Does anybody have an idea about the cover not fitting at the right hand corner?

I am on SS RLS5 ROM and it does not seem to be detecting that I am in roaming. Whenever I came to Mumbai on weekends i never bothered to check but currently I am in Gujarat and here too I don't get R over the network bar. Even GPRS works even if I have unchecked the "data in roaming" but I can still use data in roaming.

My brother has blade with SS RLS4 with Airtel (same as mine) and he gets R Symbol.

clown_abhi said:
Well, i dnt know but it was written on the box as replacement. The restarts have now stopped after the factory reset. :) And found a difference with the OLED model than TFT. The viewing angles are perfect in OLED whereas the TFT was impossible at even the slightest turn :) But the TFTs are much sharper (Wonder how at the same resolution!).

Does anybody have an idea about the cover not fitting at the right hand corner?

I've found the viewing angles pretty ok on my tft. dunno, maybe as anu0512 said in the other thread, there are different lcds in tft itself (truly) and maybe some are better than others.

Check the latches on the cover and the detents on the body. See if there's any molding errors.

raksrules said:
I am on SS RLS5 ROM and it does not seem to be detecting that I am in roaming. Whenever I came to Mumbai on weekends i never bothered to check but currently I am in Gujarat and here too I don't get R over the network bar. Even GPRS works even if I have unchecked the "data in roaming" but I can still use data in roaming.

My brother has blade with SS RLS4 with Airtel (same as mine) and he gets R Symbol.

Maybe something to do with the sim? i never believed it at first, but newer sims sometimes make a lot of changes.

^I just tried using my BSNL card and it showed me roaming properly but when again I put Airtel card it did not show any roaming sign :S

The 256MB RAM unlock - I tried looking but couldnt find what exactly the mod/ROM does to unlock the extra memory. Can someone post the details? Any reason this unlock isnt available for other MSM7227 phones, like the Spice Mi-300 for instance?

Guys...I just received my XCD 35.
Sadly its in 2.1:( so I need to take it to dell service center and get it flashed with 2.2

Also, i am struggling with this phone since the last 2 hours. have not been able to install anything or any app in it. went to applanet from the phone and laptop but no use:(

BTW: how do i root my phone and take a backup? is the below enough?
1. Root your phone.
2. take backup using Recovery Manager

You need some massive android education my friend! :)

Look first thing download apps from the android market.

Second thing go to modaco and read through all the n00bs guides they have there. It helps a lot.

I went through the modaco but could not see a noob guide there:( and so my post

didn't get what u trying so say here? I went to android mkt was having some diffuculty as it wants an email to download the app and when I enter the email it says 'no android phone associated with this account':(

JT_daniel said:
Look first thing download apps from the android market.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys...how do I check the ram?
raksrules said:

Back