ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

v.Na5h

Skilled
Nov 20, 2009
Mumbai
RD274 said:
Yes I have as hes long since given up on getting one for himself. Most likely I am getting a white E72 silicon cover locally or else I'll buy one cheap off ebay.

Get locally u get it fore 40bucks...i got one for my 5230

BTW which scratch guard to get for this phone...i mean which mobile's screen(pref samsung or nokia) is similar to this phone

setonfire

Disciple
Jan 10, 2010
Nagpur
Need some help with installing CyanogenMod on my Gen2 Dell XCD35

I have read through this thread and forums at XDA and Modaco.

The following is the procedure that I intend to follow. To the expert modders out there, please verify -

1. Root the phone with z4root

2. Install ROM Manager

3. Use Nandroid (included with ROM Manager?) to backup current ROM

4. Place CyanogenMod and Google apps on the root of the SD card

5. Select CM and Google apps on ROM Manager

6. Flash the CM and Google apps

A few queries -

a. Is it possible to unroot the phone?

b. When I restore my current stock ROM via Nandroid, the phone will still be rooted, right?

c. Which version of CM would give me improved battery life?

d. Do I need to enter some India-specific settings after CM installation?

Waiting patiently,

As soon as I get a go, I am diving in :)

Thanks

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@v.Na5h

I ordered my screen guard from Scratchgard's India website for Rs.300.

Supposedly laser cut 'precision' screen guard :)

Onemufc

Skilled
Apr 16, 2011
a. Is it possible to unroot the phone?

Yes Z4root has an option to unroot

b. When I restore my current stock ROM via Nandroid, the phone will still be rooted, right?

You restore your stock rom then you follow step 1

c. Which version of CM would give me improved battery life?

Cm7.1 is good for batter life. The stable one.

d. Do I need to enter some India-specific settings after CM installation?

Nope.

setonfire

Disciple
Jan 10, 2010
Nagpur
@xtremevicky

How do I take a backup of my current ROM without rooting?

(If I root and then take a backup of the Stock ROM, reverting/restoring back to the Stock ROM backup later will give me rooted Stock ROM, right?)

Onemufc

Skilled
Apr 16, 2011
Install Z4root and back up your stock rom.

If you want to go back restore your stock rom and unroot your phone.

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
I bought an e72 hard gel cover. Will see how fits in tomorrow.

As for screen guard, I bought a HTC desire screen guard for it. Will comment wrt that also tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Onemufc

Skilled
Apr 16, 2011
Running low on space.

I have these softwares which move apps to SD but still running low . Any suggestions ?

Xavier

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
Pune
^ Partition your card and use Link2SD to move apps (completely) to the partition. I have 128 user apps and 50MB free space on internal memory. I only have essential apps such as keyboard (SwiftKey X), launcher (Launcher Pro Plus), Honeycomb CM7 theme, etc. on my internal memory. Also, see post #1775 on this thread, a very informative post by Blugene on how to go about partitioning your memory card without losing any data.

Reactions: 1 person
N

NotMyRealName

I would suggest sticking to a 160mb system if re-partitioning. heard that smaller sizes sometimes are too small for cm7 and gapps etc.

I'm not sure but i think that all apps have a component which remains in the internal memory even if moved to sd. i'm talking about the built-in sd mover, not links2sd. also, every update that's installed also seems to keep the previous version, for a later rollback if required. guess this is what eats up space even when moved to sd.

Xavier

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
Pune
Yeah, some apps like Whatsapp and Google Maps keep 5-6MB on internal memory even after using the traditional 'Move to SD' option. Also, widgets are usually large in size cannot be moved to SD card using this method as they stop functioning. This is where Link2SD kicks in and saves a lot of space.

N

NotMyRealName

I've never used it because i thought it was the same thing as the default mover. This sounds like another awesome way to keep the blade running on and on!

Xavier

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
Pune
Julian said:
I've never used it because i thought it was the same thing as the default mover. This sounds like another awesome way to keep the blade running on and on!

I had the exact same doubts but decided to give it a shot because of blugene's post. I'm glad I did.

@ Vicky

Just follow the instructions on that link and it should work fine. I used a card reader while partitioning the memory card and it took over 30 min owing to my old ass PC and slow card.

I would like to add that I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition to create a 512MB EXT2 partition on my 8GB micro SD card without losing any data as I had 1GB free space. However, do take a backup of important stuff on the card in case something goes wrong.

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Apr 7, 2006
Jaipur
www.gaurishsharma.com
:bump:

Anyone?

Gaurish said:
Battery on my San Francisco which I brought from UK in Jan seems to be giving up. I get about 1hour backup:| so was thinking of buying a new battery. requirements

1) Good quality: I can't take the risk of using low-quality Chinese batteries
2) Performance should equivalent to stock battery or better.
Now,
there are 2 options:
1) Get it from Dell: advantage is the surety that's its an original one. But don't know about price & its availability.
2) Import it via Ebay[1][2] [3][4], Dealextreme or other such sites: this is where its gets confusing. there are TON of batteries available with price range $1-$50USD. Nothing can be said about quality or performance.
Guys,
I am quite confused & need your suggestions.

Onemufc

Skilled
Apr 16, 2011
pageisgod85 said:
I had the exact same doubts but decided to give it a shot because of blugene's post. I'm glad I did.

@ Vicky

Just follow the instructions on that link and it should work fine. I used a card reader while partitioning the memory card and it took over 30 min owing to my old ass PC and slow card.

I would like to add that I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition to create a 512MB EXT2 partition on my 8GB micro SD card without losing any data as I had 1GB free space. However, do take a backup of important stuff on the card in case something goes wrong.

Thanks mate. You have been helpful . I will do this over the weekend. I got a 16Gb card so I have lots of space on that so using this method makes sense .

rocker123

Adept
Nov 4, 2009
Delhi
was updating App2SD app on my phone today.

The phone instantly rebooted, and since then it cannot detect my mem card.

What could have gone wrong ??

Also, the memory card is fine as it gets detected on my PC.

Any settings goof up or is my mem card slot gone ?

any suggestions

ReVo_007

#techie
ex-Mod
Apr 28, 2010
Kolkata
the link2SD works with GEN3 Official GB :) Using that only now :) just the official release lacked data space for installing apps :) now its stable and fast :) .

Gaurish said:
:bump:

Anyone?
original battery will cost 2k odd mate :) a friend bought it . AFAIK you need a bill of a dell xcd35 to get a battery [they have a wierd issue with supporting other zte blades ] . But firstly check with another battery maybe that your phone is broken like it happened with my friend .