The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then even a 500/600 watter is more than enough...better get a good modular one with lower wattage, like the Seasonic X Gold.

V1 is no slouch but the V2 costs just Rs.100 more and is better. V2 is a much better choice! If no dual GPU or mid range dual GPU connection then one can also consider the S12II 620w ~ 4.6k.

Good to know the Seasonic X series 560w is available here. A bit pricey, but I saw it on ebay for 7150.

Are the 400/460w variants easily available locally too?

mav2000 said:
I saw the V1 for 5.9k there...the V1 is no slouch either. But tell me quix, are you running a dual GPU setup?

Not at the moment, but I don't want a borderline case. Plus 750TX @ 6K looks like a really good deal and keeps my option of an SLI/Hybrid open.

Eventually the plan is to get i5 'k'. But at the moment it is "khayali pulao".

yeah its always better to buy a higher wattage PSU for future upgrades... Have a look at my signature and gannu's... :p I hardly think that our system consumes more than 350 to 400 watts at full load... :p But we have PSU's which are future ready :p

^Not only are they future ready, but they work at their best efficiencies. On an average, most PSUs work at their efficient best when they are loaded to approx. 50% of their rated wattage. I think i've said that a dozen times in the forum! :p

But yeah spending on an AX1200 is blasphemy! :lol:

Gannu said:
^Not only are they future ready, but they work at their best efficiencies. On an average, most PSUs work at their efficient best when they are loaded to approx. 50% of their rated wattage. I think i've said that a dozen times in the forum! :p

But yeah spending on an AX1200 is blasphemy! :lol:

While that is completely true, isn't the power that you're counting the peak wattage? So though the PSU is working at it's best when the PC is running at full load, however, practically the PC doesn't run on full load 24x7. It's only while gaming or other intensive tasks that the PC runs on full load. So most of the time it's idle or running 30-60% load. Suppose you buy a 800w PSU considering your peak wattage is 400w and PSUs run with best efficiency at 50%. But since the PC would be running at say 50% load most of the time, which would be 200w in this case, that would be 25% of the total rated power of PSU. Efficiency of PSUs tend to be low for 25% or less of the total power of PSU. So isn't it better to have a good balance and get a good 550-600w PSU in this case? It would be efficient for all loads, including idle and full load.

I believe choosing a PSU is not just about getting quality ones but also choosing the right power so that it is efficient for all scenarios. Choosing a very high power PSU will result in more energy losses for a relatively low powered rig when sitting idle.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Soyab0007 said:
reuired psu for dual core config and gt 240 ddr5 card

budget Rs2000

Add a couple of hundred bucks and get the Corsair CX430w V2.

slickdeals.net/permadeal/58432/newegg-corsair-cx430-v2-430w-power-supply

how to get this psu shipped to india...
will it come with global warranty..
and what is rebate?

viralbug said:
While that is completely true, isn't the power that you're counting the peak wattage?

Yes. And my PC runs at full load when I decide to power it on. i.e. when I game. Not to mention my processor and the GPU (which btw has been soft modded to the HD6970 with the unlocked shaders) both have been overclocked to their best and safe limits. I can safely say the power consumption peaks more than 400W on my system when it is switched on. ;)

May not be the case with the rest of them though.

I guess I made a good deal on Corsair TX650 V2. Would be good for the 6950 I plan to buy (or the 7xxx series whichever is best under 15K). Considering the power, I think I'll be able to go CFX later, if need be. Right ?

Yeah, I wasn't specifically talking about your case, or even for those who use their PC 24x7 for crunching or who do heavy rendering for extended period of time. It makes sense to get a high powered PSU for them.

But for most users, PC stays below 50-60% load most of the time.

Advice on an HTPC - powersupply requirements

Hi Guys,

Was thinking of the following configuration for an HTPC im planning to build. Need some advise on the powersupply as I plan to use a micro atx/itx box. Most of the boxes ship with powersupplies between the range of 150 to 250Watts.

What is the lowest wattage power supply that would work fine with the components below:

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3
AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB Single Stick 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
500 GB SATA HDD
Liteon/LG DVD writer.

Thanks For your help.

What PSU wattage should I go in for if these are my specs - Kindly suggest Brand/Model also if possible.

Mid-Tower Cabinet
AMD A8-3850 Fusion proc
Mobo: ASUS F1A75-M Pro with HDMI
RAM 8 GB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum PCI card [reuse from my old rig]
May add a Graphics Card later [no SLI]
Storage 1+1 TB [later may add 2 more TB]
Monitor : 20-22" LED Full HD
- I am NOT into gaming; will use it for batch rendering of RAW images; weekend 24x7 downloads; Blu-Ray ripping; occassional 720p editing

mrcool63 said:
^^
seasonic s12ii 520 would suffice man

for future updates

Seasonic s12II 620w-4.9k
Corsair 650tx-5.4k

Appreciate the response ....BUT whoaa [I never thot of spending more than 1.5-2.5K for my PSU]. Now I still need a few answers ..... and I will not Crib if convinced
1] Would a 460/480/500/520 W suffice my needs ?
2] What about Electricity Consumption - Is it true that as one goes Higher-Up on the wattage your Bill's get proportionately higher ?
3] My Cabinet will be between "Thermaltake" or "Coolermaster" - so is it necessary then to go for the same brand of PSU & Fans too ?

Thanks

seasonic s12ii 520w-3.6k would be sufficient for your rig,you can add gpu like ati hd6870 or 6950,it doesn't matter if your psu is as similar as your case,you can add any psu you want,as for fans your case company such as you mentioned cooler master or thermaltake produces it's separate fans as it would be better to buy those.the PS only pulls what it needs inrelation to what the components need.If the components need 200 watts, any power supply will power that, no more, hopefully no less.If you are low on budget and you are not going to install gpu like 6850 or more then seasonic s12ii 430w-2.6k/corsair cx430 v2-2.2k would be enough,choose according your future additions.

I have the following config

AMD phenom II X2 550be unlocked to X4

Asus m4a78-em/1394

2GB ddr2

WD caviar green 500GB HDD

3X 80mm LEd fans

single 120mm LED fan

Hard disk cooler

XFX Ati radeon 5770

PSU- Cooler master extreme power plus 460W
IS my system adequately powered?

thegatekeeper said:
seasonic s12ii 520w-3.6k would be sufficient for your rig,you can add gpu like ati hd6870 or 6950,it doesn't matter if your psu is as similar as your case,you can add any psu you want,as for fans your case company such as you mentioned cooler master or thermaltake produces it's separate fans as it would be better to buy those.the PS only pulls what it needs inrelation to what the components need.If the components need 200 watts, any power supply will power that, no more, hopefully no less.If you are low on budget and you are not going to install gpu like 6850 or more then seasonic s12ii 430w-2.6k/corsair cx430 v2-2.2k would be enough,choose according your future additions.

What about Electricity Consumption - Is it true that as one goes Higher-Up on the wattage your Bill's [monthly electricity/Reliance Energy Mumbai] get proportionately higher ?
- Ultimately I am looking at just the right PSU for my need's which need's to be
Stable
Energy Efficient
Low Power Consumption
- And I am willing to spend more for the precise Brand/Model that is upto 520W - If that is necessary

P.S: Sea Sonic has incorporated Energy Star 5.0 specification; Are there any other brand's that are also Energy Efficient ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back