Budget 31-40k 27 inch 1440p 144hz+ IPS Monitor Suggestions

I shot a mail to LG India and USA to know when we will see the release of new monitors 27GP850 or 27GP83B-B. I think they should be launched in May, 2021. But with the COVID BS you can't be sure of anything anymore.
1) 144Hz is more than enough. After that frame time latency is not that noticeable unless someone is into e-sports and wants the best for competitive edge. But those guys settle for fast 24" TN Panels anyways since bigger screens actually are a hindrance for them.
  • Frametimes on 60 = 16.6ms
  • Frametimes on 144 = 6.9ms
  • Frametimes on 165 = 6.1ms
  • Frametimes on 240 = 4.2ms
  • Frametimes on 300 = 3.3ms
As you can see, the biggest leap is from 60-144. And getting those consistent frames are also case by case\settings\hardware dependent and really pointless over 120fps.

And yes, TN>IPS switch is astounding and you would welcome it. Also the G-Sync sticker is mainly given by NVIDIA when certain brands pay them or something to get approved in their list. I think Steve from GamersNexus talked about it couple of years ago. ASUS & GB M27Q work fine in G-Sync mode despite not certified by NVIDIA.

All in all go for LG but modify your purchasing schedule if there's a confirmation from LG for newer model launch in India. :)

Also the G-Sync sticker is mainly given by NVIDIA when certain brands pay them or something to get approved in their list. I think Steve from GamersNexus talked about it couple of years ago. ASUS & GB M27Q work fine in G-Sync mode despite not certified by NVIDIA.
Haha.... Yes, I do know it's mostly a gimmick but a most welcome one to irritate a few people I know. Yeah all 3 work great with GSYNC but I'm mostly on the LG side for peace of mind when it comes to aftersales warranty. Sadly true GSYNC module monitors are too pricey for me.
I shot a mail to LG India and USA to know when we will see the release of new monitors 27GP850 or 27GP83B-B. I think they should be launched in May, 2021. But with the COVID BS you can't be sure of anything anymore.
All in all go for LG but modify your purchasing schedule if there's a confirmation from LG for newer model launch in India. :)
Bruh, this is big news and not something I liked to listen after finally making my mind about the decision. Haha :banghead:

Yeah definitely! Either I'll buy the GL850 at the start of next month or just wait it out till May and early June if any major news comes up this month.

Wait is worth it if it's not too much. Only buy GL850 if around 33-35K. Otherwise go for newer model.

I have a feeling once OLED makes an entry on 27-32" inch models, LCD monitors would be history. OLED are the future that will either end the IPS/VA market or make it really more affordable like TN panels.

HDR content is going to dominate gaming and movies in the near future. And I have tested Auto-HDR that windows 10 will bring in the upcoming patch (insiders program). Older games do look amazing with it. And OLED really shine at HDR content. I played Tomb Raider on it and it was really something. Unfortunately, can't punch my cousin and take his TV despite him being a console peasant. :p

Wait is worth it if it's not too much. Only buy GL850 if around 33-35K. Otherwise go for newer model.

I have a feeling once OLED makes an entry on 27-32" inch models, LCD monitors would be history. OLED are the future that will either end the IPS/VA market or make it really more affordable like TN panels.

HDR content is going to dominate gaming and movies in the near future. And I have tested Auto-HDR that windows 10 will bring in the upcoming patch (insiders program). Older games do look amazing with it. And OLED really shine at HDR content. I played Tomb Raider on it and it was really something. Unfortunately, can't punch my cousin and take his TV despite him being a console peasant. :p
There is still a long time before OLED panels hit monitors with reasonable price points.

Yes. But thr bigger issue is right now screen size. Top IPS monitors are already 50K+. And if someone is buying that then he would rather pay more to get OLED for that size because IPS don't stand a chance against OLEDs.

But no one seems to be venturing into this right now.

@Sumi Have you gone through PC Monitors forum (I'll link to this shortly if you can't find)? That guy does very comprehensive reviews and M27Q is still pulling me for some reason. My only concern is IPS bleed/glow but that seems to come down to lottery and is apparently not particularly high with GB though Reddit seems to highlight this negative more. I'm not able to find the link but I came across a thread on some forum that discussed Dell, LG and (probably even) GB, but the point is bleed/glow can be an issue even with LG and Dell and people have returned their monitors. GB QC might not actually be as bad as people make it out to be. But yeah RMA could be an issue and won't match LG.

I'm curious to see how PC Monitors reviews the GP850 though he has already shared some insights in a few threads.
If this new LG is above 40k I probably won't go for it, not sure if the upgrade is that significant.

@Sumi Have you gone through PC Monitors forum (I'll link to this shortly if you can't find)? That guy does very comprehensive reviews and M27Q is still pulling me for some reason. My only concern is IPS bleed/glow but that seems to come down to lottery and is apparently not particularly high with GB though Reddit seems to highlight this negative more. I'm not able to find the link but I came across a thread on some forum that discussed Dell, LG and (probably even) GB, but the point is bleed/glow can be an issue even with LG and Dell and people have returned their monitors. GB QC might not actually be as bad as people make it out to be. But yeah RMA could be an issue and won't match LG.

I'm curious to see how PC Monitors reviews the GP850 though he has already shared some insights in a few threads.
If this new LG is above 40k I probably won't go for it, not sure if the upgrade is that significant.
I believe you are referring to this forum https://forum.pcmonitors.info/main/display-discussion/

Checked it out and I see why you are leaning towards the M27Q.

Yeah, I'll be ordering from Amazon due to their hasslefree exchanges. I have a pretty good rep for my amazon account so it will probably be a smooth experience incase I get a bad panel. My main concern with Gigabyte is mostly about their aftersales service, I live in a tier2 city and it's not possible for me to go through hoops for warranty claims. The newer model will probably be 40K+ at launch considering the same was for the GL850.

Yep. I can understand the problem with after sales service. I have about 2 months to decide, let's see if something changes.
Does Amazon exchange monitors no questions asked for panel issues (minor to them?) such as these? Or do they first evaluate it before arriving at a resolution, which can go either way?

There's some comment on the GP850 in this post: https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic...-ips-with-wide-color-gamut/page/2/#post-64463

Does Amazon exchange monitors no questions asked for pannel issues (minor to them?) such as these? Or do they first evaluate it before arriving at a resolution, which can go either way?
I have never had to do any exchanges personally but amazon has a pretty good rep when it comes to such problems. You'll probably need to chat with the CCR and showcase them the problem. Intense backlight bleed and IPS glow is definitely covered under exchanges. If you have a LG store near you, it's even easier.

Yeah read it, except it being 180hz there seems to be a little edge compared to the GL850.

1620572400212.png

I was just checking the g sync compatible site and found that the GP850 supports HDR with G sync turned on as the GL850 doesn't. Wanted to know if that's a deal breaker?

1620654252743.png

1620653951608.png

Also the GL850 doesnt support HDR via freesync as it doesnt have free sync premium pro

1620653867064.png

HDR is meaningless for these monitors as they're HDR 400 nits, except some movie content that is in HDR format. HDR1000 is where you would say the magic starts, not even HDR600. This is one place where VA monitors shine with their 3000:1 contrast ratio.

So, you wouldn't be missing much.

I can vouch for the acer nitro 27 inch 2k 144 hz monitor. Been using it for 4 months now. Theres freesync premium, gsync, IPS panel, no backlight bleeding, deep blacks. Amazing for play, amazing for productivity. I use it for both gaming and office purposes and this has become the best monitor I have ever purchased.

I can vouch for the acer nitro 27 inch 2k 144 hz monitor. Been using it for 4 months now. Theres freesync premium, gsync, IPS panel, no backlight bleeding, deep blacks. Amazing for play, amazing for productivity. I use it for both gaming and office purposes and this has become the best monitor I have ever purchased.
But will it be able to best the LG 950, that is my question. Though the price difference is there, I remember that was getting a deal for the XB3 for 47K and LG 950 is for 59999. Maybe during the Diwali sale, will upgrade to a better monitor. I am also keen on the LG 38 inch or 34 inch if we even get them in India.

I dunno about that LG monitor brother. However, I would still give you my feedback about the Acer nitro. Before this, I was using Samsung 1080p 144 hz as my primary monitor which has a VA panel. It was also very good as a primary monitor, but it had a very low LFC range (70 to 144 Hz). Plus, I needed to upgrade. So, I bought the Acer nitro for 28k back in Jan from Amazon. (I always buy monitors from Amazon because, they always exchange them very quickly for any issues. I know because, I had exchanged at least three LG ultra gears in the past year). Anyhoo, back on the topic, you would think that the Acer nitro being an IPS monitor would be slower and have less deeper blacks and would have backlight bleeding. I am using that samsung monitor as the second display. Its amazing. But Acer takes the cake. Dude, this IPS monitor doesnt have IPS defects, plus, its faster, and therefore has NO blur, AND has deeper blacks than the VA panel. When I bought this, I was prepared to see bleeding, blurring, and lower contrast on this monitor. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised to find thats not the case with this one.

This monitor has narrow bezels, inbuilt speakers (decent, very good for Youtube at night), comes color calibrated from factory, has a very good stand, is Vesa compatible, AND has 4 USB 3 ports. Even has HDR400, but its USELESS. Any monitor that has HDR specs less than HDR 1000 is useless. Plus, LFC is 40 to 144, which is a boon for a 2k monitor. And, because it supports gsync also officially, its a big plus.

That LG 950 is a 4k 144 hz monitor. I dunno why we are comparing these two. They are in different leagues. But, you may have your reasons. If you finalize Acer and have any last minute questions, feel free to PM me. All the best.

@Sumi Just wondering if the thought of moving into 4K crossed your mind? I noticed a couple of 4K 144Hz monitors (Acer Predator) in the 50K range; 60Hz are cheaper though.

I personally believe 4K needs to be either widescreen or at least 32"inch. Now few months back, before settling for 1440p, I easily had the budget to upgrade PC on 4K resolution but the problem is supporting hardware and upgrades that it would require to maintain 4K future gaming would've been extremely unfeasible for me. I mean, on a GPU, I won't spend more than 50-65K. But we all know what's happening in the GPU market right now. :(

Which is why I settled for 2K monitor with my current 1080 Ti.

Yeah, it was just a fleeting thought, if I was going to spend 45K then might as well go for 4K - an Acer is going for 48K on Amazon now. But I won't since I'm going to stick to 30K-35K, lol. OP has a pretty capable 30 series card If I remember correctly, maybe he can consider.

My monitor upgrade is for the future since it'll last a few upgrade cycles. Laughably, I'll only be getting a 1440p capable GPU next year or when the market normalizes so I'm OK with not being able to use the monitor to it's fullest in the immediate future. Maybe, stick to 1440p for now and move to 5K next.
Talking of 4K, the GP950 should also be releasing in India I think, probably along with the other GP monitors like you mentioned.

Back