Video 40-42" 1080p HDTV with low input lag for gaming

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Patron
I've been on the look out for a good 37-42" LCD since the past 2 weeks, unable to find a 37" I had my eyes set on the Samsung 40LAC550 and 40LAC650.

Now I'm yet to audition the C650 but from what I've read on the net, I'm quite impressed. But I've also read that it suffers from horrendous input lag.
Samsung LE40C650/ LE40C652/ LE40C654/ LE40C630 Review
This response time issue has put me in a tough spot, cuz I used to game a lot but now with work and all I don't get to game so much, but whenever I do game I want it to be glitch free.

I had initially ruled out plasma's because of their burn in issue and the effort required in preventing the same, but they're back into the mix since I hear they've got fantastic PQ + Great viewing angles + 0 input lag.

SO what I'm looking for in a TV is..
-A not so fat bezel
-Low input lag
-DLNA/RJ45 (preferred)
-Good PQ

Guys, please suggest something, or do you think C550/C650 is good enough for gaming?

Well samsung apprears to use different image processing in different models,besides the input lag also varies depending on the panel one gets.

Many game in samsung/sony lcds the input lag isn't an issue for the most.
You can see the co-editor of HDTVtest himself bought a samsung C5xx.

In the lcd camp the tvs with Sharp lcd panel have a lower input lag such as the Sony EX700 and upward series,they also have excellent contrast with deep blacks and also have a wide viewing angles,from what i have seen the edge out the SPVA based EX500 and samsung C6xx in viewing angle.

Lastly for gaming i like the lcd look.

Okay so Samsung C650 is definitely out. I can't find any solid info on the C550 refresh rates, but a few on AVSForum are of the opinion that even C550 suffers from bad input lag.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18739581#post18739581

I hate sony's fat a$$ bezel, but the 40NX500 looks quite beautiful, unfortunately it neither has divx/mkv playback nor a RJ45 jack.

Also, I saw LG 40LD650 today in the evening and it was MUCH better than the LD460, but I'm not quite sure of its response time although it's advertised as 2ms but that's a little hard to believe.
..and LG apparently doesn't support DTS audio, now this is going to be a problem as most of my mkv's have DTS audio.

So as of now its between Samsung 40C550, LG 42LD460 and 42LD650(Only if I'm able to find a jugardh in LG to get it cheap).
Guys, any suggestions for plasma's?

Apparently, even 42LD650 suffers from quite a lag, See post by one 'pedderb' in the link below
http://translate.google.co.in/trans...ag&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-in:IE-SearchBox

Well those 2ms times etc are grey to grey time after overdrive.Its native response time is still above 10ms.
Between the LG and samsung ,i would go with the C550. The NX500 is a mirror.

Alright.
Everything is shut today, will go and check out the Panasonic P42V20 whenever I get time, has got quite rave reviews.

Avoid the NX500 like plague - the damn TV reflects anything in front of it like a mirror irrespective of the lighting conditions. I am waiting for medpal to finalise his decision - it is either the C630 or the EX500. The EX500 is a good 10k expensive and Sony wouldn't budge a bit w.r.t pricing. They are bundling some wireless headphones as a part of the Diwali offer duh! :|

Plasma TVs and gaming don't go well together or do they?

BTW i found out why Sony doesn't allow the dealers to price below MRP ,because all dealers have to comply with Sony SURE policy(Sony Unified Retail Execution) ,to prevent competition from dealers and huge retails chains.So even if the dealers wanted to sell it for a cheaper price they can't.
One of the reason why Amazon don't stock many Sony products.
Luckily we have the grey market in India.

As far as plasmas not all have a low input lag,it depends on the image processing.So .But when i game in a lcd its like you are in the game,in a plasma you just don't get the lcd look.

@gannu
Are you sure its Sony diwali offer,which is still a month away.

I'm not even considering sony because of its ugly looking bezel.
Also I see a general dislike for LG, why is that?

I would also like to know why plasma TV's are not being considered? Is it because some games have a static HUD which may cause a burn-in? I am myself going to buy a plasma soon and knowing myself, I will definitely be gaming on it too.

m0h1t said:
I'm not even considering sony because of its ugly looking bezel.
Also I see a general dislike for LG, why is that?
Lg have poor contrast and its image processing isn't the best.
While the IPS panel for the monitors are good,its not the same with TVs atleast not the low/mid end ones.
Its trumotion is a joke.

^I disregard LG LCD TVs for the same reason. In comparison with a Philips 42PFL5609 which has an IPS panel 60Hz display, I could not feel the 200Hz TruMotion difference on the LG panel. So much for the 200Hz tech. :|

adder said:
@gannu

Are you sure its Sony diwali offer,which is still a month away.
Yes Arun. The guys at Croma told me and medpal the same. Diwali may be a good one month+ away but the offers being clubbed with Navratri celebrations turns up a month before.

Ok, now I have to disagree here, not because i own an LG tv but because i chose it after a lot of research.

One thing abt LG most of the series are aesthetically superb. Sony's some of them look horrendous.

Secondly, the panel is not bad at all, the IPS display gives an awesome viewing angle, If you are putting it in your hall, nothing beats it. I have a sofa lined up at 150-175degrees and the display is crystal clear.

The colors are very good, previously the most basic series was a downer in terms of picture quality. but in recent ones the screens on the basic models are also awesome.the shops generally dont have them calibrated. I have a LG shop in my city and the guy sits and calibrates each tv, thats where i was converted into an lg fan, the difference is HUGE.

They show u a calibrated c530 from Samsung and an uncalibrated LG and say dont even compare with LG, the only difference is abt a 4-5% difference in black levels.

As for the image processing, Its the best i've seen among Sony Samsung and LG. The dth from Tata sky looks awesome on my lg 42lh60yr.

What the members above are talking about are the colour tones, sony is known for its natural tones, and samsung somewhere between lg and sony. But, frankly i've been shown a sony and lg side by side, and changed the settings to make LG pic quality almost as natural as sony.Its just the way they portray lg. they will max out the cntrast and the red apples will hurt your eyes while the same apple looks so yum on the samsung or sony. Its a gimmic most times.

And the service, LG hands down is the best. New fridge comes with a teensy dent, and they readily replace the door in 10days.

Desecrator said:
^I disregard LG LCD TVs for the same reason. In comparison with a Philips 42PFL5609 which has an IPS panel 60Hz display, I could not feel the 200Hz TruMotion difference on the LG panel. So much for the 200Hz tech. :|

Exactly! To really see what an IPS LCD can do, you need to go to Philips or Hitachi. LG doesn't do justice to its panels. Philips 50Hz looks better than LG's so called 200Hz.

Chaos said:
Exactly! To really see what an IPS LCD can do, you need to go to Philips or Hitachi. LG doesn't do justice to its panels. Philips 50Hz looks better than LG's so called 200Hz.

Wonder why i cud never see the difference between 50hz on and off.. I mean, even on the same tv, demoed with all sorts of scenes, i cud never see the difference. Maybe i just dont have the eye for it, or maybe this whole motion plus feature is load of crap. :p

Desecrator said:
Avoid the NX500 like plague - the damn TV reflects anything in front of it like a mirror irrespective of the lighting conditions. I am waiting for medpal to finalise his decision - it is either the C630 or the EX500. The EX500 is a good 10k expensive and Sony wouldn't budge a bit w.r.t pricing. They are bundling some wireless headphones as a part of the Diwali offer duh! :|

Plasma TVs and gaming don't go well together or do they?
Was just wondering. Since the Sony NX500 comes with a tilt stand, won't tilting it by a couple of degrees get rid of the glare? Also, how is the sound on the Samsung TVs? I'll be buying a new LCD during Diwali within a budget of around 60k and was deciding between the Sony and the Samsung? I won't be connecting a home theater system to the TV so the sound system should be good if not great...

I currently own a Sony 37S400 and if it matches the sound quality of that model then it should be fine...

Also, could you specify the model number of the wireless headphones? Is it a Sony model or some crappy local brand?

baccilus said:
I would also like to know why plasma TV's are not being considered? Is it because some games have a static HUD which may cause a burn-in? I am myself going to buy a plasma soon and knowing myself, I will definitely be gaming on it too.
Plasmas are excellent for gaming.. the latest ones are very resistant to IR,and even then, they come with an "orbiter" function to remove static IR.

Check out the plasma reviews on HDTV Reviews – LCD TV & Plasma Television Display Rating -> they have gaming tests there as well.

Fahrenheit said:
Was just wondering. Since the Sony NX500 comes with a tilt stand, won't tilting it by a couple of degrees get rid of the glare? Also, how is the sound on the Samsung TVs? I'll be buying a new LCD during Diwali within a budget of around 60k and was deciding between the Sony and the Samsung? I won't be connecting a home theater system to the TV so the sound system should be good if not great...

I currently own a Sony 37S400 and if it matches the sound quality of that model then it should be fine...

Also, could you specify the model number of the wireless headphones? Is it a Sony model or some crappy local brand?

Well in 40" size is still large. tilting isn't enough to defeat the glare from the entire screen,however since its a lcd its has bucket loads of brightness which can defeat the glare,but doing so at night times will cause blacks to look more like grey.

The 2010 models won't match the sound quality of 2008 BE2 models which had the best sound compared to other low and mid range tvs of 2008 and all 2010 models of sony and samsung.Lg is better in sound.

Since this is a Sony offer its will surely be a Sony headphone.

Sony has a good deal in 3d tvs like the HX800 1.20lakh with free 19k 3d capable blue ray player,9 blue ray movies and a virtual 5.1 worth 19k,making it far cheaper compared to samsung 3d model even without freebies.

Would have been nice if they bundled a 9.9k worth blu ray player for a 60k product as they are bundling a 19k blue ray player and a whole lot more for a product priced at 1.20lakh.

Last year Sony diwali offer didn't come close to what samsung gave.So the only place to get diwali type deals throughout the year is in grey market,where Sony lcds still work out to be the cheapest in india.

Other wise best to wait for Diwali and see what samsung offers.

Party Monger said:
And the service, LG hands down is the best. New fridge comes with a teensy dent, and they readily replace the door in 10days.
When they should have ideally replaced it the same day! And you call that the best service lol.

On topic, the new V20 series Plasmas have been in the news for sometime now. It's an awesome display and ever since Pioneer has shut down it's plasma tv business, Panasonic is the way to go now. :p

Back