80 - 1 Lakh System for 3D- / Image Editing

The system you have selected is capable enough to handle all your needs and beyond. The notable weaklinks seem to be your power supply and ram. With the kind of budget you have, mushkin blackline series should fit in quite well. As for PSU, any 750 watts kit from a reputed brand namely corsair,coolermaster etc will serve you well.

okay , go get yourself a 1090t because its better value than a i7 950 at stock and by the time you will overclock you would have used it for a year .... ( i hope this is not spamming :p )

Um guys I think our TC Erratic has forgotten about 'er own thread ....

By the way, I recommend the Core i7 950 option too. I've recently become an AMD fanboy but with this kinda budget you can't deny the performance of it over the 1090T. The question is when will the i7 950 price come down here ....

@Zhopu: I think the decision I would make would be based on profitability. 10% of a 40-hour week is 4 hours a week, or 16 hours a month. Depending on what I charge my clients and the amount of work I get done, the additional hardware cost could be nullified in a few days' time, let alone months or years. Personally, manpower cost is the highest in any professional setup. Since the TS does not have to pay any - and assume the saving is just 1% because of single operator and inability to parallel-process, the cost differential is the cost of the margin on a single freelance project. I don't see sense in cutting corners in professional and workstation environments unless the saving is extremely large in capital costs (say 100-200 operators).

RD274 said:
Um guys I think our TC Erratic has forgotten about 'er own thread ....

By the way, I recommend the Core i7 950 option too. I've recently become an AMD fanboy but with this kinda budget you can't deny the performance of it over the 1090T. The question is when will the i7 950 price come down here ....
It is already down to 14,300 here in India. Most of the stores revised the price this wednesday.

Just checking if my posts appear instantly now...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

(Pasting an updated reply from few posts up)

Update as of 10/9/10 -- 3.15 PM

After further research I unfortunately found out that the ATI cards I was considering wont work as some of my programs (MMORPG) are using OpenGL and does not render the visuals properly (this is confirmed information).

Hence I have to opt for nVidia.. so based on your recommendations I will now rather go for an Intel/nVidia combo.

(I am aware that AMD works with nVidia GPU's, but I prefer Intel)

So now the configuration has changed dramatically

What I have come up with the help of Cranky is :

CPU : Intel Core i7-930

Ofcourse a 950 would be great as well, if it fits in the budget and where I can buy it.

To clarify, I don't plan to overclock.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard

GPU : I am looking at the GTX 460 for this

MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC

Zotac GTX460 AMP! is a consideration as well but cant find it.

PSU : Corsair HX650W

RAM : Is a problem as of now... the current motherboard is a tri-channel. As I would 8GB or more, i have an option of either going with 4 x 2GB or 3 x 2GB.

I would have REALLY liked to opt for 2 x 4GB or 3 x 4GB however I am not able to find any dealer who has a kit of 4GB bars. They only stock single bars of 4GB I don't know if that is advisable to put together....

UPDATE:

Based on the approved list of RAM on the Gigabyte motherboard I am unable to find any RAM at all. I would PM Phoenix specifically but as of now its worrisome...

HDD : WD Black 1TB (FAEX) for OS (currently I saw it only on ebay india, but i am sure I can get this one on lammy somewhere...) and

WD Green 1TB(EARS) for storage.

CASE : Was thinking of the Nzxt TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series .

I was recommended the CoolerMaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Cabinet because of 'excellent' cooling abilities or the Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62

DVD : Was looking for LG GH22LS50 but I could only find LG GH22NS50

MONITOR : Dell UltraSharp U2311H, 23"

TY! looking fwd to the replies

hmm ok

1. Buy the i7 950 as it's for 14,500 not the 930(don't get fooled by the dealer and buy it).

2. Triple channel has a huge advantage over dual channel, so go for 3 x 4gb or ram(recommended). Or 6 x 2gb, the one which is cheaper.

3. I have the HAF922 and it's the case with most efficient cooling at this price tag. So go for 922 See this Cooler Master HAF 922 Review Check out the temps at cpu full load.

4. You're buying the GTX460. you need a psu with at least 4 6pin power connectors so that you'll have future scope for SLi. Buy the cooler master GX750. It's cheap and good enough for your needs.

5. It's good you're buying the WDs and saving a lot compared to SSDs

That's pretty much it.

i would just like to clear something here about amd & intel recommendation that is going on. i really cant believe what some people are posting that intel i7 is superior to the x6 in rendering. this is absolutely wrong.

running at the same clock speeds i7 930 or 920 (with giga ud5) vs amd x6 1050t or 1090t (with giga ud3), there is zero performance difference. some instances amd is performing faster by 1 - 1.5% compared to the i7's.

this is just my honest opinion as i am using both of those currently.

also the 5870 seems to be a little overkill imo. i would suggest you stick to any good card for under 15k. you can go for the msi hawk 460 1gb. i just picked it up today for 14k from prime.

tempest evo is a very nice & well built case. currently using 2 of these without any problems.

if you have the budget get a ssd hdd for the os & softwares. makes a big difference.

hope this helps

the final decision is upto you.

they wont listen , its an intel fanboy fest going on :p , oh well now the OP will only go to intel so its a bit pointless

the i7 950's are giving conflicting benchmarks , will see where that is going

kippu said:
they wont listen , its an intel fanboy fest going on :p , oh well now the OP will only go to intel so its a bit pointless

the i7 950's are giving conflicting benchmarks , will see where that is going
its not a problem what erratic buys, that is completely upto him.

I was just surprised to see people saying that the i7's are faster than x6's in rendering which is just giving the wrong information to erratic.

if you compare a cpu it always has to be clock to clock.

stormblast said:
its not a problem what erratic buys, that is completely upto him.

I was just surprised to see people saying that the i7's are faster than x6's in rendering which is just giving the wrong information to erratic.

if you compare a cpu it always has to be clock to clock.
i7 is the cpu for her coz the differences are minimal in 3d rendering(stock). She's also interested in a bit of gaming and in gaming don't you say anything about the i7 950. An AMD x6, stock can't beat even the 965BE hahahahaha!!

and in gaming,

even 965be vc i7 950 is like comparing a Maruti 800 with Volkswagen :p

and any AMD vs overclocked i7(4Ghz) is like Maruti 800 vs Roll-Royce hahahaah!

And Bro, it's "her".

abhigupta said:
i7 is the cpu for her coz the differences are minimal in 3d rendering(stock) and she's also interested in a bit of gaming and in gaming don't you say anything about the i7 950. an x6 at stock can't beat even the 965BE hahhhahahaahah

and in gaming,

even 965be vc i7 950 is like comparing a Maruti Suzuki with Volkswagen :p

and any AMD vs overclocked i7(4Ghz) is like Maruti Suzuki vs Roll-Royce hahahaah

and bro it's "her"
Dude just coz the so called her budget allows an Intel it does not mean she has to buy Intel and Intel only and + if you want to know the advantage of triple channel over dual channel it is just 10% at peak rates want to see,

Dual-channel architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Triple-channel architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gather data first man and don't be biased to any one brand, remember in 2004 ~ 05 the situation was the reverse and Intel's initial Pentium D's were cr@p against then AMD Athlon True 64-bit proccys. So support your comments with reliable data, agreed the Intel i7 950 is better than the Thuban 1090T but at the similar price point the AMD offers better upgradibility options DECENT performance and is cheaper to set up. + you get USB 3 and SATA 3 compatiblity support to boot at CHEAPER rates.
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News neck to neck in most situations

hash said:
You're views are highly degraded and spread wrong information. You can gtfo now. Thank you.
Should be again spammed for abusing on this website

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

An Intel system will only cost somewhat 5-10k more.

And I think that's worth it overall. Considering everything.

But still if you people think that buying a 1090t for 14k is better than buying a i7 950 for 14.5k then I'll not debate on this anymore.
hmm2.gif

If you'll are debating whether to take the 1090T then you're better of taking the 1055T and OC'ing to 3.4Ghz @ 1.2v (voltage is below stock). As Erratic herself said shes willing to OC, this wouldn't be a bad idea!

You'll get - 1090T Performance and decent temperatures with Stock Cooler (Never crosses 55c).

PS - My vote is still for the i7 950 :p

RD274 said:
If you'll are debating whether to take the 1090T then you're better of taking the 1055T and OC'ing to 3.4Ghz @ 1.2v (voltage is below stock). As Erratic herself said shes willing to OC, this wouldn't be a bad idea!

You'll get - 1090T Performance and decent temperatures with Stock Cooler (Never crosses 55c).

PS - My vote is still for the i7 950 :p

Same here. It can be considered but my vote still goes for the i7 950.

abhigupta said:
hmm ok

1.Buy the i7 950 as it's for 14,500 not the 930(don't get fooled by the dealer and buy it)

2. triple channel has a huge advantage over dual channel...so go for 3 x 4gb or ram(recommended)....or 6 x 2gb...the one which is cheaper

3.I have the HAF922 and it's the case with most efficient cooling at this price tag....so go for 922

see these benches....Cooler Master HAF 922 Review check out the temps at cpu full load

4.You're buying the GTX460...you need a psu with at least 4 6pin power connectors so that you'll have future scope for SLi...Buy the cooler master GX750....it's good enough for your needs....

5.It's good you're buying the WDs and saving a lot compared to SSDs

so...that's pretty much it...
Dont recomment CM GX750. Its not a good PSU. Check these reviews from two of the best PSU review sites.

Cooler Master GX 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Cooler Master GX 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Conclusions

Cooler Master GX 750 W looks like a good option for users looking for a mainstream 750 W power supply, however it has a major flaw that prevents us from recommending it: noise level at +3.3 V and +5VSB outputs were above the maximum allowed when we pulled 600 W and above from this unit. High noise levels overload and can even damage components on your computer.

Coolermaster GX-750 750W Review

Summary

Coolermaster has a decent 600 watt unit here. The unit does pretty well for stability and efficiency, doesn't get very loud, and... what? It's a 750 watt unit?

Facepalm.

Past Coolermaster units have done pretty well here in the lab, and I'm puzzled that this one has done so poorly. I hope that next time, if there is a next time, we'll have something worth getting excited about.

The Bad:

cannot handle heat at 750 watts

ripple issues on the 3.3V rail

questionable capacitor quality

The Mediocre:

voltage regulation

If SLI setup is required its better to go with the Corsair TX750~7k/ HX650 ~ 7.5k(Has 4*6+2 PCI-E connectos)/ HX750~8.6k

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/corsair-smps-rams-prices-updated-2nd-158277.html

abhigupta said:
Same here....It can be considered but my vote still goes for the i7 950.
How exactly did you figure that erratic is a she? :S

@erratic,

stormblast runs a firm that creates 3d models for architects while afaik, kippu is into 3D as well. I would value their opinion a lot more highly as compared to a lot of the others here.

Back