80 - 1 Lakh System for 3D- / Image Editing

DarkAngel said:
Dont recomment CM GX750. Its not a good PSU. Check these reviews from two of the best PSU review sites.

Cooler Master GX 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Cooler Master GX 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Coolermaster GX-750 750W Review

If SLI setup is required its better to go with the Corsair TX750~7k/ HX650 ~ 7.5k(Has 4*6+2 PCI-E connectos)/ HX750~8.6k

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/corsair-smps-rams-prices-updated-2nd-158277.html
As you say. Buy the corsair. It's very good too.

I've used gx750 and didn't find any noise even when 2 5870s were sucking power full on. And cpu was also at full load.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

[quote name='stalker']How exactly did you figure that erratic is a she? :S

:rofl:Bro check out her profile page! :rofl:

stormblast said:
I was just surprised to see people saying that the i7's are faster than x6's in rendering which is just giving the wrong information to erratic.
if you compare a cpu it always has to be clock to clock.
That can happen only if one is overclocking. If not, we'll have to compare at stock, so cost is the only deciding factor. We get X amount of performance for 28K (intel), and 0.9X performance for 15K(amd). So we decided to go for amd.

@cranky, since ours is an inhouse 3D team, we don't work on an hourly basis. Also, the performance diff is only seen during the final rendering, so we can't equate a 10% diff to 4 hours per week.

@zhopu - I'm just looking at the AT render graph here: AMD's Six-Core Phenom II X6 1090T & 1055T Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News and I see the 1090T fall behind the 920 (let alone the 930 under discussion) by a healthy 16% so I don't know what the preceding heated argument is about. Agreed this is the render speed only but the i7 multitasking performance is much better too (though I can't seem to dig up a benchmark, hopefully some smart soul will be able to find one), so overall throughput from the Intel machines is going to be higher no matter what you do. Memory bandwidth and core utilisation on the Intels is quite a bit better too.

Your cost vs. performance analogy is correct and I also agree all performance has to be apples to apples and that is the reason all my personal systems are AMD, but when there is a distinct application opportunity and the balance works out in favour of a competing product it's not wise to deny it. Would it save 4 hours a week? Maybe not. Would it save an hour a week? Half an hour? How much is the additional realisation (not performance) we can expect out of the greater investment ? When we buy 1 workstation the decision is based on very different parameters than when we buy 5.

The one thing that would sway the decision towards AMD is if you had lots of multi-threaded applications (video encoders, archiving utilities), the additional cores make up for the lower IPC of the AMD architecture and the lower memory bandwidth. Those who already run units professionally will probably have to balance out a bunch of factors including space, cost and upgrade cycle and frequency into consideration before making a decision.

Finally Zhopu, the cost of the 1090T alone is ~15K so I'm not sure total cost is what you said it was. Where AMD retains its advantage is the lower cost of motherboards, a 770 or 870 chipset motherboard can be purchased for under 7K (getting the cost up to the 22K mark) and the lower cost of memory (4 vs. 6GB or 8 vs. 12GB) brings the total investment to a very reasonable level. That advantage will then have to be balanced out against the build goals. Finally, the decision rests with the TS but the research is all here.

I do hope some of the posters will grow up. I would look at the complete picture before name-calling (not @ you z :)). This thread is degenerating rapidly.

Hey guys!

Thank you for all your responses! I have almost arrived at a final configuration and just awaiting for prices and availability status. I should hopefully post in a couple of days. Meanwhile to answer some questions I saw floating around...

- I don't plan to overclock... at least not for the next 2 years.

- I am not pro-Intel or pro-AMD. I initially preferred an AMD system with an ATI card, which was recommended and was value-for money.

unfortunately I found out that one of my essential MMORPG progs has major glitches with ATI cards (I have seen this for myself with the card I was considering, the ATI 5870). Hence I dropped the ATI for nVidia. I know that AMD can work with nVidia, and looked at some combinations (with both AMD and Intel), and finally settled with Intel i7 930. Again I am not anti i7 950 if its decently priced and am finding out prices for the same.

- Over the gender confusion, yes I am female^^

Thank you for all your help, I am learning a lot :)

erratic

erratic said:
Hey guys!

Thank you for all your responses! I have almost arrived at a final configuration and just awaiting for prices and availability status. I should hopefully post in a couple of days. Meanwhile to answer some questions I saw floating around...

- I don't plan to overclock... at least not for the next 2 years.

- I am not pro-Intel or pro-AMD. I initially preferred an AMD system with an ATI card, which was recommended and was value-for money.

unfortunately I found out that one of my essential MMORPG progs has major glitches with ATI cards (I have seen this for myself with the card I was considering, the ATI 5870). Hence I dropped the ATI for nVidia. I know that AMD can work with nVidia, and looked at some combinations (with both AMD and Intel), and finally settled with Intel i7 930. Again I am not anti i7 950 if its decently priced and am finding out prices for the same.

- Over the gender confusion, yes I am female^^

Thank you for all your help, I am learning a lot :)

erratic
http://www.deltapage.com/

The i-7 930 has dropped to the 15k mark in most places. There is Less than 1k difference between the i-7 930 and i-7 950. So better grab a i-7 950. As u dont plan to O.C the ~10% more stock clock over the i-7 930 should come in handy. :)

cranky said:
Finally Zhopu, the cost of the 1090T alone is ~15K so I'm not sure total cost is what you said it was.

Yup. But I was comparing against a 1055T.
zhopudey said:
The 1055T is just 10% slower than the i7 930 while rendering in 3DS Max. However, we have opted for gigabyte 880g boards in our office, which give us a cost diff of 13k compared to i7 930 + intel WX58BP. With a 1090T+ 890FX, performance diff would be even lesser, but so would be the cost diff. Think about it.

With the i7 950 coming down in cost, it would probably make more sense to go for intel. (@stormy, I'm considering everything at stock speeds).

Another point, (which will not matter for a single machine) - the 1055T goes to 50C at load, and the i7 930 touches 80C. (stock coolers). We currently have 14 machines for 3D in our office. If all were i7s, the extra 30C during rendering would make the A/Cs work harder, leading to more electricity bills. :p

zhopudey said:
Yup. But I was comparing against a 1055T.

With the i7 950 coming down in cost, it would probably make more sense to go for intel. (@stormy, I'm considering everything at stock speeds).

Another point, (which will not matter for a single machine) - the 1055T goes to 50C at load, and the i7 930 touches 80C. (stock coolers). We currently have 14 machines for 3D in our office. If all were i7s, the extra 30C during rendering would make the A/Cs work harder, leading to more electricity bills. :p
Now you people are getting what I meant. So late, but not to too late. At least you agreed. :clap:

Heya everyone posting the (aaalmost) FINAL config:

CPU

Intel Core i7 950 (Rs. 14500)

Mainboard

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rs. 13000)

GPU

MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC (Rs. 13200)

RAM (will be ordered/ imported from newegg)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL (Rs. approx. 13500)

HDD(s)

WD Black 1TB (FAEX) (Rs. 5275)

WD Green 1TB(EARS) (Rs. 3000)

DVD

LG GH22NS5053 (Rs. 950)

Power Supplies

Corsair HX850W (Rs. 9500)

OR

SEASONIC 850W from THEITWARES

Case

Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 (Rs. 5700)

OR

Nzxt TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series (Rs. 6900)

Monitor

Dell UltraSharp U2311H, 23", 1920x1080, VGA, DVI, DisplayPort (Rs. 17550)

Thank u all once again for your continuous support!!!

Im currently finding out about the best prices so if u know about any good deals on the above please let me know :D

erratic

May I suggest you to change WD Green 1TB(EARS) (Rs. 3000) to Seagate 1 Tb 7200.12

WD Green is failing a lot these days...

erratic said:
GPU

MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC (Rs. 13200)

RAM (will be ordered/ imported from newegg)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL (Rs. approx. 13500)

HDD(s)

WD Black 1TB (FAEX) (Rs. 5275)

WD Green 1TB(EARS) (Rs. 3000)

Power Supplies

Corsair HX850W (Rs. 9500)

OR

SEASONIC 850W from THEITWARES

Case

Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 (Rs. 5700)

OR

Nzxt TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series (Rs. 6900)
gpu = why not get the msi gtx 460 hawk. it costs 14k, i got it last week from prime. it has higher clocks, better cooler & very silent compared to the cyclone.

ram = ripjaws are very good, but incase you plan to get heatsink like true or noctua later for the i7 it will be a problem to install them with ripjaws. mushkins available locally are also very good

hdd = the new seagate barracuda Lt is also quite nice and runs much cooler than the wd green. think about a ssd for boot os & softwares if you have the budget.

psu = go for corsair

case = both the cases are equally good. 1 advantage for the tempest is that you can install more hdds, it comes with all fans preinstallaed & its an eatx cabinet so fitting a big gfx card in the future wont be an issue.

Erratic, why don't you invest s little more and get 2WD Blacks which are very reliable. Or go for WD RE3 or RE4 1TB as they are server class drives and are EXTREMELY reliable. Also faster. If you want, go raid with the drives. It'll give you good space and much much better performance.

And one more thing. Why are you spending so much on PSU??

Get the corsair tx750 which is for 7k. You can save 2.5 here. 850 would just be an overkill for your configuration.

750 has 4 8pin for gpu,a 12V rail, 24 pin as usual. I mean it's more that enough. Don't waste 2.5k here. Rather put in on your drives and shift from blacks and greens to WD RE3. Trust me you won't regret this decision.

abhigupta said:

i too think 850 is a little overkill, but if you have the budget its not a bad investment as the psu would last you really long even when you change the rig.

both hx & tx are extremely good psu's but my vote goes for the hx because of the better effeciency & there isnt much price difference in the 2.

TheITWares said:
Better buy TX 850 only Price difference is negligible - 300/- bucks
What's the price of HX850 and HX750??

I suppose I read it TX850. Also what's the price of TX 850 and 750??

Is it worth investing on a modular one?? I've never used one...

Back