Airtel Xstream Fiber Experience (Direct Cities)

@sibot No, they must have meant providing both xstream box(dth) and fiber services(internet) while providing a new connection. If you are an Airtel cellular subscriber you get access to their tv shows, but no live TV.
Trust me, I would be the first person to jump on this bandwagon the day they launch IPTV.

@sibot No, they must have meant providing both xstream box(dth) and fiber services(internet) while providing a new connection. If you are an Airtel cellular subscriber you get access to their tv shows, but no live TV.
Trust me, I would be the first person to jump on this bandwagon the day they launch IPTV.
Yep! That’s what they meant. A broadband, TV and landline.

Those who are happy with airtel, have good latency and all, do you use their default DNS or something else? I took their connection yesterday (although LCO type) and the pings are very poor, compared to my old Hathway connection.

Those who are happy with airtel, have good latency and all, do you use their default DNS or something else? I took their connection yesterday (although LCO type) and the pings are very poor, compared to my old Hathway connection.
they have worst routing to international servers (Europe) compared to ACT & Hathway..

they have worst routing to international servers (Europe) compared to ACT & Hathway..
You are the first person to say this. All I have heard is airtel's low-latency praises over the years! But the experience couldn't be more to the contrary! In fact I am not sure whether I have seen any worse pings than I have for past 2 days with airtel!

You are the first person to say this. All I have heard is airtel's low-latency praises over the years! But the experience couldn't be more to the contrary! In fact I am not sure whether I have seen any worse pings than I have for past 2 days with airtel!
Its all about my bad experience with online multiplayer games, with streaming or downloading you wont notice any difference with any service providers!!!

I doubt a visit from the technical team can do anything about routing and high pings.
Rather mail them traceroutes.
It wont help, they told its done automatically by choosing the best route (by AI) ....give a try & post some ticket as well.

Raised a complaint through twitter yesterday and the same was disposed today, citing resolved. The pings remain the same if not slightly worse today. A connection which works good works good from the first day, no matter how many complaints you lodge, or technical visits undertaken it never improves, that's my personal experience. All servers perform worse, if it were one or two then I would not mind, be it within India or outside, they all have higher to significantly higher latency compared to Hathway!

I will use it for a fortnight and then place request for connection closure. Time to switch back to my sweet hathway, or maybe I could try Jio, not sure.

Attachments

• Lol ping.PNG
    Lol ping.PNG
    42.4 KB · Views: 171
  • InkedHathway 4_LI.jpg
    InkedHathway 4_LI.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Tracert airtel.PNG
    Tracert airtel.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 156
  • InkedHathway TR_LI.jpg
    InkedHathway TR_LI.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 170
Which city are you from?
Hyderabad.

How has your experience been with Airtel Xstream Fiber?
Good.

How long have you been using it?
Two weeks.

Are you satisfied?
I am content.

What differences did you feel after using Airtel over your previous ISP?
Fiber remains active during power outtages.
Responsive & transparent customer service.

Any cons of using Airtel?
Speed can vary greatly, I've seen it drop to 150Mbps and I'm on a 300Mbps plan.
More filtering and blocking than my previous ISP, even with custom DNS.
All plans have the same FUP limit of 3.3TB.

What made you switch to Airtel?
Previous ISP had no intention of maintaining connection during power outtages.

If this is your first ISP, then why did you go for it?
Not my first, was with Excel Media for 19 years.

Which ONT cum router has been provided to you? Ko
Huawei HG8145V5

Any specific issues you're facing with it?
Bridge WAN mode is no longer supported.

You can post speed tests, tracerts, pings to game servers, in game pings.
View attachment 107035

Also have the latency issues been solved for direct cities?
I have not tested this.

- - -

Overall, it's been a nice experience. I feel like I'm living in the future. The last time I felt like this was with a 128Kbps connection in 2000. Installation was completed within 12 hours of requesting a new connection from their website even with a curfew & lockdown. They had to run the fiber cable three times because the first two runs weren't good. I'm planning on getting one or two more connections since the FUP limit is non-negotiable, unlike with my previous ISP. With Excel Media, I could just ask them to reset the FUP limit and pay the monthly bill on that day. People have suggested contacting Airtel to enable Bridge WAN mode, I'll give that a try sometime.
Hey I'm planning on taking Airtel FTH, I'm mainly concerned about 2 things:

1) Torrent sites and speeds, is this manageable or is it sporadic? Torrenting is a big chunk of my usage
2) How did you manage to max out 3.3TB a month? :p

Any other suggestions/warnings are welcome.

1. Which city are you from?
Earlier Madurai, currently Chennai

2. How has your experience been with Airtel Xstream Fiber? - Good
How long have you been using it? - Close to 10+ years
Are you satisfied? - Yes

3. What differences did you feel after using Airtel over your previous ISP? - Occasionally I've used Hathway, Jio etc, Airtel's speed remains stable, infact, more that they claim (Ex: 120Mbps in speed test for a 100Mbps plan)
Any cons of using Airtel? - You can expect down-time during un-expected times (Like, during cyclone/flood they used to work fine; but expect downtime during a normal day)
What made you switch to Airtel? - Good customer support

4. Which ONT cum router has been provided to you? Any specific issues you're facing with it? - No name one, no issues. Does the job.

1) Torrent sites and speeds, is this manageable or is it sporadic? Torrenting is a big chunk of my usage

It's good, I've downgraded from the 300Mbps plan to the 200Mbps since the FUP is the same, and the benefits are the same across both plans. I still need to get a second connection, today I have 700GB remaining out of 3.3TB and billing happens on the 2nd of the month.

2) How did you manage to max out 3.3TB a month? :p

I live with my parents in an extended family home, we are 6 adults with a few dozen devices on wifi not counting any smart switches, averaging about 1TB of data consumed per week. Life's good, haha.

It's good, I've downgraded from the 300Mbps plan to the 200Mbps since the FUP is the same, and the benefits are the same across both plans. I still need to get a second connection, today I have 700GB remaining out of 3.3TB and billing happens on the 2nd of the month.

I live with my parents in an extended family home, we are 6 adults with a few dozen devices on wifi not counting any smart switches, averaging about 1TB of data consumed per week. Life's good, haha.
Thanks for your reply, mate!

1TB per week ? any issues from ISP ?
any websites proxies torrents blocked ?
unfortunately, airtel isn't available in my locality hence I am going for JIO.

1TB per week ? any issues from ISP ?
any websites proxies torrents blocked ?
unfortunately, airtel isn't available in my locality hence I am going for JIO.
I got my Airtel FTH yesterday, got a dual band ZTE router. Torrent sites don't appear to be working. My PC hasn't been setup yet so haven't really started downloading, trying VPN or DNS hacks. Service seems good in the last 24hrs

I got my Airtel FTH yesterday, got a dual band ZTE router. Torrent sites don't appear to be working. My PC hasn't been setup yet so haven't really started downloading, trying VPN or DNS hacks. Service seems good in the last 24hrs
great, do update once you setup your PC also torrents won't be a problem with Airtel. It's just JIO blocking sites, I've heard stories but I've to take it unfortunately. booked right now.

Back