Airtel Xstream Fiber Experience (Direct Cities)

Guys, I am getting this Airtel Fiber installed today, opted for 200mbps plan.
Already using Jio (150mbps) since last 2 months, jio subscription is valid till 28th Jan.
I'll be comparing both side by side, specially latency.
Let me know if anyone wants anything specific which can be compared as I'll using both Airtel and Jio this month.
Compare pings from clouding.info and in game pings if you game

Compare the router performance of both, if you can. I am assuming that they will give you a local branded router which is similar to what Jio provides. But if you get a Nokia or a Huawei then no point comparing. Both of the latter models clearly have an upper hand over Jio routers.
They gave me a local device -

Untitled.jpg

With external antennas it's much better in range when compared with Jio.

Excluding all the installation, service and customer support here's a little performance only comparison between both.

I tried downloading same video file from google drive at near about same time, one by one.
Jio 's 150mbps is like raw bandwidth, see it's nearly a straight line (see pic below). It's not only a single time performance but since last 2 months it's always like this irrespective of what and from where you are downloading. (Excluding torrents)
Downloading on Airtel's 200 mbps is kind of fluctuating between 150mbps to 250mbps, mostly below 200mbps and sometimes even 100 or 90mbps. Graph doesn't looks stable like Jio (always like this only, tried many times since yesterday) but at the same time they 're providing 200mbps for same price.
So here we get an average download speed of approx. 170-180mbps, somewhat faster end result than Jio.
For direct downloads airtel is a winner only by a little margin.

Jio Dowload.jpgAirtel download.jpg

Tried downloading multiple torrents files at the same time. Result - Jio reaches 150mbps as claimed and is somewhat faster , airtel is lagging here only reaches 130-150mbps.

Pinged different amazon locations (IP address differs but it's just to get an idea)

both.jpg

@MadAxe I tried but it failed with Jio

Untitl111ed.jpg

Finally I tried speed test on Fast.com it's OK both ISP's shows 150 and 250mbps respectively.
Then tested on ookla speedtest.net, first server location was Dehradun (chosen automatically by ISP), then I tried various other location servers from Bangalore to Germany, Japan, Russia etc,
see this -

bothtest.jpg

I don't know what to conclude but I'll be using Airtel for 3 months as I paid advance.
Using Jio since last 2 months whereas Airtel is installed yesterday only, so its too early to judge.
Over all I think Airtel has better latency and speed but Jio's raw bandwidth is absolutely true like a straight line.

Some times Airtel connects with nearby Noida server and provides fake results like this -

333.jpg

Last edited:
They gave me a local device -

View attachment 123336

With external antennas it's much better in range when compared with Jio.

Excluding all the installation, service and customer support here's a little performance only comparison between both.

I tried downloading same video file from google drive at near about same time, one by one.
Jio 's 150mbps is like raw bandwidth, see it's nearly a straight line (see pic below). It's not only a single time performance but since last 2 months it's always like this irrespective of what and from where you are downloading. (Excluding torrents)
Downloading on Airtel's 200 mbps is kind of fluctuating between 150mbps to 250mbps, mostly below 200mbps and sometimes even 100 or 90mbps. Graph doesn't looks stable like Jio (always like this only, tried many times since yesterday) but at the same time they 're providing 200mbps for same price.
So here we get an average download speed of approx. 170-180mbps, somewhat faster end result than Jio.
For direct downloads airtel is a winner only by a little margin.

View attachment 123341View attachment 123340

Tried downloading multiple torrents files at the same time. Result - Jio reaches 150mbps as claimed and is somewhat faster , airtel is lagging here only reaches 130-150mbps.

Pinged different amazon locations (IP address differs but it's just to get an idea)

View attachment 123346

@MadAxe I tried but it failed with Jio

View attachment 123343

Finally I tried speed test on Fast.com it's OK both ISP's shows 150 and 250mbps respectively.
Then tested on ookla speedtest.net, first server location was Dehradun (chosen automatically by ISP), then I tried various other location servers from Bangalore to Germany, Japan, Russia etc,
see this -

View attachment 123344

I don't know what to conclude but I'll be using Airtel for 3 months as I paid advance.
Using Jio since last 2 months whereas Airtel is installed yesterday only, so its too early to judge.
Over all I think Airtel has better latency and speed but Jio's raw bandwidth is absolutely true like a straight line.

Some times Airtel connects with nearby Noida server and provides fake results like this -

View attachment 123350
Thanks for the review.

Could you do a ping test to a few cloud providers and their regions? Will give a general idea of their routing and ping.
AWS, Gcp and azure should be more than enough. Let it run like 10pings to get good readings. Should take hardly 5 minutes per connection. Please try these on ethernet.
Thanks!

@Synth-Pop thanks for the review. Even torrents in my case fluctuates when I download a single file. But if I put a group of files it goes to 120mbps on Airtel(100 Mbps line). Nevertheless, still happy with Airtel given its reliability.
And lol, they literally copied Nokia 2425G-A, even the display panel, but just one difference. They moved the antennas to the rear rather than the side-mounted for Nokia. I was happy when the image I saw it was Nokia, then I read "local branded".
Another thing is on speed test most users get 20% additional bandwidth. I get 120 on 100 Mbps. Yours should be hovering around 240-250 Mbps range.

As requested @D C

All wired connection with no background n/w activity.
Earlier speedtest were also wired from router to Lan port. I assume you got confused with speedtest results wifi icon.:)

View attachment 123353View attachment 123352

View attachment 123354View attachment 123355
View attachment 123356View attachment 123357

For better resolution pics download here - Download
Thank you so much for this!
Seems like airtel has noticably better pings and routing to international servers (I just looked at eu and singapore mostly)

@Synth-Pop thanks for the review. Even torrents in my case fluctuates when I download a single file. But if I put a group of files it goes to 120mbps on Airtel(100 Mbps line). Nevertheless, still happy with Airtel given its reliability.
And lol, they literally copied Nokia 2425G-A, even the display panel, but just one difference. They moved the antennas to the rear rather than the side-mounted for Nokia. I was happy when the image I saw it was Nokia, then I read "local branded".
Another thing is on speed test most users get 20% additional bandwidth. I get 120 on 100 Mbps. Yours should be hovering around 240-250 Mbps range.
Yes speedtest shows 240-250 Mbps for Airtel but i don't trust this ookla very much hence sometimes I use fast.com
As you said you are getting 10 to 20% more even with torrents. I think I should try torrents for a few days and if I get 150 MBPS on torrents for a 200 MBPS plan then there must be something wrong
here.
Thank you so much for this!
Seems like airtel has noticably better pings and routing to international servers (I just looked at eu and singapore mostly)
Yes I can see more green boxes for Airtel lol.

Yes speedtest shows 240-250 Mbps for Airtel but i don't trust this ookla very much hence sometimes I use fast.com
As you said you are getting 10 to 20% more even with torrents. I think I should try torrents for a few days and if I get 150 MBPS on torrents for a 200 MBPS plan then there must be something wrong
here.

Yes I can see more green boxes for Airtel lol.
Nearly every isp has dedicated server and lines for speedtest.net(and at various locations too).

Use speedtests from third party speed testers to get real world speeds. (If using google, fb, microsoft services, they are peered anyway, will get full speeds mostly)

As you said you are getting 10 to 20% more even with torrents.
I never got upto 15MBps when downloading torrents, max would be upto 14MBps but that too rarely for a few seconds (may be due to wifi). Even if I get 12-13 MBps, I am satisfied coz that reflects my real speed. The only complain is, it fluctuates.

I never got upto 15MBps when downloading torrents, max would be upto 14MBps but that too rarely for a few seconds (may be due to wifi). Even if I get 12-13 MBps, I am satisfied coz that reflects my real speed. The only complain is, it fluctuates.
I am getting 15 -16 MB per second max for torrents. But this fluctuating speed even for a direct download is not the best service in my opinion. Jio latency may be poor but download is like constant at 150 mbps.
Pros and cons are for every ISP. But in my opinion it's better for me to stick with Airtel, do it fluctuates but still download finishes first on Airtel. Average download speed or end result is better for Airtel.

I tried some torrents today morning - Both Airtel and Jio , I was getting 10-13MB/s
Just now 40 mins back, once again I tried downloading same video file from google drive & used stopwatch.
like before Jio 's graph was stable at 150mbps but this time airtel's graph was also stable at 250Mbps.
I knew it, airtel is better but initially it was a disappointment but I feel happy now :) this is the performance I was expecting from Airtel, I hope it remains stable & it's not a fluke.

Cat 8 cable was used to establish direct connection between router and Lan port on motherboard. All other network activities were stopped, no background N/W activity.
Stop watch timings -
Jio - 08:31:54
Airtel - 05:00:44

Human error margin +- 1or2 secs. but it's irrelevant now, see pics -

083154.jpg050044.jpg

Despite all this network performance I am still a bit disappointed with Airtel. I've not received a single email till date regarding my plan details, activation status, payment receipt or any kind of acknowledgement. I am getting regular sms updates though but Jio 's email response is prompt.
I also tried login to Airtel selfcare to check my plan details and data usage etc. but it's also blank. I guess It may take some time to update, so I'll try later.
I even checked the email address I provided on application form and it was correct, also confirmed with the local technician.
Let's see if it gets updated or I 'll call the support.
It's not only with broadband but earlier I've noticed this with my airtel DTH too whereas Tata Sky was prompt in updating everything like Jio.

I recently moved to a different place of residence within Bangalore. In the new area - Airtel responded quickly for new connection and set me up with Airtel Fiber within a day!
Though speeds are great for my requirements I'm facing a peculiar problem : Internet WiFi gets disconnected on my laptop if left idle for few minutes - WiFi says 'Connected/No Internet' and after few seconds of activity on laptop it reconnects to internet. I face same issue on my personal laptop and on Smart TV as well. On TV, if I exit the Amazon prime app completely and try open it back after few minutes, I get a message that there is no network and after few seconds of 'refersh' it reconnects. I've never faced this issue earlier with ACT or any other provider.

I've logged complaint with Airtel but I don't think they will be able to help. One of the tech support guy visited premises but based on his responses I don't think they were able to identify the issue and I'm still facing disconnections.

Has anybody else faced this issue. Google search brought up only generic issues with laptop connectivity. In my case, all devices are facing this issue. Is there any setting on the modem/router that can set this right?

@all4music see if there is any wifi settings in the airtel router related to power saving or wmm wireless multimedia, or qos etc, toggle those?

If it doesn't work then you could ask airtel to set their device in bridge mode and you can add a wifi router of your choice.

@all4music yes there's a setting you can try -
login to your airtel router - 192.168.1.1 (assumed)
Click WAN tab, under PPP there's a setting called Type:
make sure it's set to continuous.
I hope it will resolve your issue.

1.jpg2.jpg

Guys, I am getting this Airtel Fiber installed today, opted for 200mbps plan.
Already using Jio (150mbps) since last 2 months, jio subscription is valid till 28th Jan.
I'll be comparing both side by side, specially latency.
Let me know if anyone wants anything specific which can be compared as I'll using both Airtel and Jio this month.

Hi, you are from Meerut right? Can you please tell from which area if that's fine with you.
I am from Meerut as well and looking to get Airtel Xstream fiber but I asked them and they say we are not available at your area currently.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, you are from Meerut right? Can you please tell from which area if that's fine with you.
I am from Meerut as well and looking to get Airtel Xstream fiber but I asked them and they say we are not available at your area currently.
Thanks.
Yes, I am Near Ansals Courtyard, Modipuram. I was trying for this since years and just 10-12 days back it started it my area.

@all4music yes there's a setting you can try -
login to your airtel router - 192.168.1.1 (assumed)
Click WAN tab, under PPP there's a setting called Type:
make sure it's set to continuous.
I hope it will resolve your issue.
Hi @Synth-Pop
Thanks for your help! But my network has a different interface.
And this is the closest I could get to PPP stuff. Unable to figure out the settings similar to what you've indicated. :(
Airtel technician visited again today - tomorrow they are going to replace the modem/router. Hopefully that should resolve it.
InkedScreenshot 2022-01-12 181424_LI.jpg

Back