Airtel Xstream Fiber Experience (Direct Cities)

Bridge mode is barely having any advantage now with Airtel Fiber (unless you have a static IP) since it's behind a CGNAT anyway.
Not all Airtel users are behind CGNAT. Don't know about @prime but few of us including me still get a public IP.
You can just connect both routers LAN to LAN port (have your IP of TP-Link set to in the same subnet as that of Airtel) and disable DHCP server of Airtel router and enable the same in TP-Link router. Make sure to set the Gateway IP in TP-Link to that of Airtel Router and configure DNS as you want and then restart both routers.

It's a quick and dirty way without bridge mode and has no disadvantages.
This has a major disadvantage. It will put him behind a double NAT.

You should be able to set custom DNS in your TPLink router DHCP server settings and all clients will pick it up.

Bridge mode is barely having any advantage

Not all Airtel users are behind CGNAT.
Thank you guys.

So, they have enabled the option to edit DNS servers and I can add/edit DNS servers. (There is option to add DNS1, DNS2 and DNS3).

Also, they have enabled the bridge mode from their end. Please see the screenshots and confirm.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1303).png
    Screenshot (1303).png
    33 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot (1304).png
    Screenshot (1304).png
    2.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
My Amazon Prime subscription is valid till October, 2023, will it be extended for one year?

So did you try claiming the amazon prime subscription from airtel? I want to know if that gets extended or whether we have to wait till prime subscription expires.

They have finally gone ahead and registered a complaint with a resolution date of today, i.e. 07/03. Let's see how they respond, otherwise I will be drafting an email to TRAI.

Looks like we are not going to get broadcaster packs. Still no such packs on the app.

So did you try claiming the amazon prime subscription from airtel? I want to know if that gets extended or whether we have to wait till prime subscription expires.
No, I didn't claim. Will claim when my current subscription expires in Oct/Nov. I read somewhere it is not valid for existing subscribers. So, no point (and benefit) in taking chance.

From reading this thread, I could understand that Airtel will put their device (Nokia ONT + Router combo in my case) in bridge mode when requested to CC. Does anyone know if we can use it as switch? I would like to setup a mesh network with wired backhaul and would require a switch.

Ya, I've just checked that info in faq section. Let's hope they won't remove the offer before we try to claim.
They don't.
From reading this thread, I could understand that Airtel will put their device (Nokia ONT + Router combo in my case) in bridge mode when requested to CC. Does anyone know if we can use it as switch? I would like to setup a mesh network with wired backhaul and would require a switch.
A router already works as a switch without you doing anything but if it's in bridge mode then no.

but if it's in bridge mode then no
This is what I wanted to know. So now Airtel device as bridge mode + a Switch + 3 units of mesh routers.

How easy/straightforward/time-consuming is asking CC to put it in bridge mode? Also once done, is there anything specific of which I need to take care of before setting up Switch and then mesh routers?

How easy/straightforward/time-consuming is asking CC to put it in bridge mode? Also once done, is there anything specific of which I need to take care of before setting up Switch and then mesh routers?
Very easy, although depends on local technician. Should take less than 15 mins once the technician arrives at home. Some routers allow access to admin dashboard remotely (can't remember that feature name, it is mentioned in this thread for sure) but one guy will visit and other guy will make changes in that case).
They will, depending on router, set it to specific port. Remember that port!
If you have static IP, remember to note down the IP, gateway and DNS, VLAN ID, Priority for future reference (so that you can configure same on your router).
Which mesh routers are you using? At least one of them has to be set up as a router, right? You can connect rest to it I guess
I use 1x Asus AC68U and 2x AC59U. The two 59Us were earlier connected to LAN ports of AC68U. (before I 'switch' ed)

Very easy, although depends on local technician. Should take less than 15 mins once the technician arrives at home. Some routers allow access to admin dashboard remotely (can't remember that feature name, it is mentioned in this thread for sure) but one guy will visit and other guy will make changes in that case).
In my case I have a Huawei router and the options in the router's settings were blocked by a simple HTML "disabled" attribute. I edited the HTML in browser, changed the settings and saved it. Didn't have to involve airtel at all.
Yes, the settings are still disabled to this date and I can't change it back without editing the HTML again but I can do it anytime if needed.

That remote config feature is TR-069. I've disabled that again by editing the HTML and saving the config. It's a backdoor and I don't like having it.

Looks like we are not going to get broadcaster packs. Still no such packs on the app.
Yep, I haven't had any luck getting through to their nodal officer. They just outright deny having any such plans, even though it is in contravention to the TRAI guidelines and R&R.

Anyone got given PMG5617-R20B router by airtel? How do I configure it optimally? Torrent upload speeds are extremely low compared to my previous isp hathway. And wifi performance is sluggish also.

Anyone got given PMG5617-R20B router by airtel? How do I configure it optimally? Torrent upload speeds are extremely low compared to my previous isp hathway. And wifi performance is sluggish also.
i have this.
You cannot configure anyting apart from some basic functions like WiFi etc.
Most of the advanced features are locked out.

i have this.
You cannot configure anyting apart from some basic functions like WiFi etc.
Most of the advanced features are locked out.
For wifi did you change anything? I'm on default settings. There's not even a setting to update firmware anywhere! Never heard of this zyxel company before, although on the back of the router it reads some TEC branding.
@napstersquest pls tell me what this inspect element trick is. I have no clue about these networking terms.
Should i disable the ipv6 thing btw? Does it make things sluggish? Especially regarding online gaming, and upload speeds?

Back