Alan Wake - Discussion Thread

Re: The Official Alan Wake Discussion Thread!

Alan Wake Street Date Broken in North America

Midwestern Wal-mart competitor Meijer has broken the Alan Wake street date and started selling copies of the game early, according to reports from Xbox Live user Buzzsawgr81.

If you live in Kalamazoo, Michigan and can’t wait to start playing (there are still two more weeks until the official release date) now’s your chance. Hit up your local Meijer and have some fun.

Source: Worthplaying | 'Alan Wake' (X360) Street Date Broken in North America

ac3953.jpg

sud have the game by tomorrow. Just dyin to play it. If its really gud wont even goto office. :D
also Lost Planet 2
:D

Phew! Sorry I couldn't post a hands on impression last night. I guess I got too immersed into playing this game.

So now that we finally get to play the game that had been in development for 5 "f*ckin" years, it's time to asses if it's worth the wait or not. I am merely posting my initial impression from the first episode of the game. Let's get down to the spooky stuff now, shall we?

Most of us probably know the story of what Alan Wake is all about, or at least have a rough idea about it. In a nutshell, it's centred around Alan Wake, an popular writer who visits a small town called "Bright Falls" with his wife, Alice, for a vacation. Alan hasn't written a book in the last 2 years and to get rid of this "writer's block" issue, his wife recommends that he take this trip. Shortly after arriving at their Cabin near Claudron Lake, Alice disappears without a trace. Alan now has to find out where she is and what exactly happened. This is not the only concern which Alan has to deal with, but some mysterious things keep happening on the way. Alan starts seeing these dark mysterious shadow like people who are apparently, a part of his unwritten book. Now Alan has 2 things on his hand; his wife's disappearance and these mysterious shadow like people.

The story doesn't really begin this way. The game is more like a jigsaw puzzle which has been scattered throughout and various bits and pieces are branched together in each episode. So you'll be confused on many occasions as to what the hell is going on and where is the story actually going. It's like playing a TV series based game. It could very well be a TV show too. You get to see the recap of previous episode at the beginning of a new episode.

The gameplay is very straight forward. You already known it's tag-line, "Light reveals the truth". So yes, light is a major element of the gameplay out here. Most of the action (and horror) happens during the night time. You'll have a flash light which you can aim at oncoming foes to blind them and then shoot with your pistol. This is as far as offensive moves are concerned. In the defensive corner, we can only duck and dodge. So if the heat is on, just haul ass off. You also get a shotgun and a Flare Gun. You health regenerates normally, but you can also revive yourself by standing near a light source. You don't have an abundant health supply, so take 2-3 hits from those axe wielding maniacs and you're dead. A slo-mo occurs on the last hit that every enemy takes.

Graphics are stunning. No doubt Remedy had a huge burden on them to deliver a great looking game on the 360, thankfully, it has turned out to be the best looking game on the 360. The daytime reflects the best possible time of the game to get a good look at Bright Falls. Night has made brilliant use of dynamic lighting effect and soft shadows. The environment adds a great deal of spooky feeling and it's successfully delivered. The play with lights is absolutely brilliant. You can even witness the foggy weather conditions and even when the wind just starts gushing all the dust across. Downsides would include lack of AA, minor tearing issues, rare frame rate issues and colour shimmering issues off characters when camera is rotated at high speed. Motion blur has been added to perpetually mask the slow frame rates.

Now for something which I found extremely kick ass about this game; the audio. OMG! This game just begs to be played in a surround sound environment. I feel like kicking myself in the nuts for not getting a 5.1 channel speakers. Any fan of the survival horror/psychological thriller genre, would vouch for the fact that sound is a major part of it. This game is absolutely brilliant when it comes to delivering those chilling pieces of sound. You can clearly hear those crickets, wind rustling the trees, the sound of sickle that the enemies throw at you and even the owl sounds at night. The soundtrack is fantastic. You get to hear a melodious track at the completion of each episode.

Additional collectible items include coffee Thermoses and manuscripts of Alan's (unwritten) book. I'm taking my own sweet time with this game and collecting all these items along the way. So each episode is turning out to be quite a long ride. This is just a brief impression of my game, so it's still a long way to go before we can come to final conclusions. So far, the game has lived up to it's hype and expectation. One major advice for anyone and everyone playing this game, PLEASE PLAY IT ONLY AT NIGHT. ;)

Completed the game on normal mode a few days ago. Absolutely brilliant. As far as story is concerned, it got me confused towards the end. There are a lot of gaps which needs to be filled and guesswork or theories won't help here. Hope they get a sequel or a DLC which explains more about the stories gaps.

Overall, I think it was a really good game, may not be a GOTY material, but still a title with high level of immersion. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, especially the songs that play towards the end of each episode. Definitely a must have for all Xbox owners. ;)

Tick tick tick!

Began the game today afternoon and it is indeed an awesome experience needless to say. It seems Remedy Entertainment has got the game right on track with the environments, graphics, episodic format for the progression, sounds and the storyline (although it does get a bit confusing midway through!).

Product placements deserve a mention here as well. For a long time, I haven't seen games using real-life brands for the products strewn around the several levels that the player may or may not interact with. Alan Wake seemed to have taken a different approach here. One can find Lincoln and Ford automobiles, Verizon branded cellphones, Energizer batteries etc. Adds a lot of realism to the game and this thing feels like a darn movie to me!

Completed the second episode a while back. Looking forward to complete the third before I call it a day. And while I am at it, I am playing it real slow - collecting the manuscripts and the coffee thermoses. Although there is one thing I don't understand - does the coffee thermos really serve a purpose? Like boosting his stamina or something? :ashamed:

I'm really thinking of replaying the game ...

dinjo said:
I'm really thinking of replaying the game ...
But does it offer any re-playability value? Knowing the consequences of the actions which would happen. Have you played the 2 DLCs yet?

I've got to watch the miniseries prequel once I am done with the game. And to read the manuscripts. Collected some 50+ manuscripts after the completion of the third episode.

ram_dante said:
This is the game I mostly loved playing on the xbox!
Same here! Loving it as it progresses - gameplay and mojo wise, much better than GeOW 2 IMO although the 2 genres are completely different.

Do a game really have to offer re-play value to play it again ? I played AC II for 3 times , MGS 4 for 14 times.

I rather play a game which offer better gameplay than new games just to get gameplay variety

dinjo said:
MGS 4 for 14 times.
Wow! Now that sure is an achievement indeed! :O

dinjo said:
Do a game really have to offer re-play value to play it again ?

This is something that would vary from individual to individual. I for one wouldn't give a second playthrough unless it offers me something substantially better over the previous playthrough. Improved weapons, unlocked useables such as videos, trophies, arms, suits etc. to name a few.

Perhaps immersive storylines are the reason that made you play those games again? MGS 4 14 times lulwut?

^ Yes with storylines which attach yourself to the game main character.

Its 14 times but still haven't been able to beat on Big Boss difficulty.

Completed the game yesterday. So it seems Remedy has yet another winner. Well, as long as they have Sam Lake scripting the storylines, it shouldn't be a concern. It was Maxpayne 1 & 2, now Alan Wake. It was one helluva experience nonetheless. I'll sum it up as follows:

The Good:

- Storyline - immersive and an emotional plot. Feels like a darn movie.

- Voice acting - all the characters did fairly well here.

- References to real-life objects and people - lends that extra touch of realism to the game.

- Alan Wake engine - nicely optimised for the X360. Absolutely no hiccups, no frame-drops, no major screen-tearing issues.

- OSTs - Petri Alanko has done an impressive composition for the game. The soundtracks after the conclusion of each episode was definitely worth a listen. The in-game sounds were true to the genre of the game.

- Gameplay mechanics - usage of light as a significant role in the combat.

- Level design - Right from the farms to pine-tree laden forests to the dam - all the levels were designed pretty neatly and it doesn't feel repetitive at any point in the game.

The Bad:

- Complex storyline - although nothing like the Assassin's Creed series, at the end of the game I'm left with more questions than answers! Maybe the prequel mini-series and the DLCs will resolve them.

- Length - felt a wee bit short. The game lasted less than 8 hours with all the exploration on Normal difficulty and with the plot it had, it could have easily lasted a bit more. The DLCs may however add to the total length.

- Limited enemy varieties - 'The Taken' were limited in numbers and they are all males with sickles, machetes and chainsaws! We wanted moar and from the fair seks!

- Lack of co-op gameplay - I felt Barry could have had a small role rather than being an NPC. There was a companion during some episodes.

- Would have loved some gore here. 'The Taken' weren't physical manifestations so this wasn't possible but could definitely be considered? Horror/Thriller + Gore = epic win!

Final verdict:

9/10

I'm a bit flummoxed with the points you have listed in the 'Bad' aspect. Help me understand them in a better way.

Gannu said:
- Complex storyline - although nothing like the Assassin's Creed series, at the end of the game I'm left with more questions than answers! Maybe the prequel mini-series and the DLCs will resolve them.
How does a complex storyline equate into a bad point? The game's ending was very ambiguous and hence, was left open to interpretation. Remember the final words "It's not a lake; it's an ocean", so the story runs much deeper than this. Sam Lake had promised to shed more light on the storyline through DLC's. When I finished the game last year, I had endless questions too, but that never went in the game's negative aspect. I knew the story wasn't finished and so would play the DLC's and wait for a sequel. Did you gather all manuscript pages from Wake's novel?

Gannu said:
- Length - felt a wee bit short. The game lasted less than 8 hours with all the exploration on Normal difficulty and with the plot it had, it could have easily lasted a bit more. The DLCs may however add to the total length.
8 hours, IMO, is a pretty decent length, by today's standards, for a psychological thriller based game. Considering, how major games these days are trimming down the game length, it's a miracle this game wasn't as short as 4 hours. I do express some amount of disappointment to it's length, since it took ages for the game's development. Perhaps, Remedy wanted to give us a game, which would leave us asking for more. So more would mean waiting for DLC (which we have) and/or a sequel.

Gannu said:
- Limited enemy varieties - 'The Taken' were limited in numbers and they are all males with sickles, machetes and chainsaws! We wanted moar and from the fair seks!
Taking into account the game's Forrest location, you'll mostly find these lumberjack folks, which I doubt would have female recruits (due to the nature of their work), hence would pre-dominantly have males. Besides, I don't see how a female enemy being included would boost the variation. There were enough female NPC's who did their part pretty well. So the "fair seks" have been given a fair chance. ;)

Gannu said:
- Lack of co-op gameplay - I felt Barry could have had a small role rather than being an NPC. There was a companion during some episodes.
How do you propose this would work? I didn't see him performing any major tasks. Sheriff Sarah aided Alan more in terms of combat. But none of these were major roles to be included as a co-op characters. The whole plot revolved around Alan and his quest to find Alice. So co-op in this game, would merely be a distraction.

Gannu said:
- Would have loved some gore here. 'The Taken' weren't physical manifestations so this wasn't possible but could definitely be considered? Horror/Thriller + Gore = epic win!
Images of Splatterhouse still fresh in your mind? :p Except for the Taken & the Ravens, every other enemies were in-animate objects being possessed by the "dark force". Being a gore-hound myself, I don't think this game really required gore to bring in any form of shock factor. Remedy were very subtle in expressing the death parts and do note that it's a psychological thriller game, so it's not a compulsion to use gore to scare the audience. They could, however, have implemented more scary and intimidating enemies.

^They were just my take on the game Allwyn. Different people have different opinions - maybe you should just leave it at that rather than justifying them. :)

Manuscripts - not all since many were restricted to the Nightmare difficulty. Besides that, I think I left a couple but collected the rest.

A sequel is in the works I suppose. I hope that game has to offer a lot more compared to what Alan Wake did. I think this game could possibly be the best title which released for the console. TBH I did not have much of a mojo playing GeOW 2, as much as I had for this one. Maybe GeOW 3 will change all that. :)

It's the bloody hype which had raised the bar for this game to become some sort of savior for the 360's "ever-so-small" exclusive library. It was really good in terms of story telling and rendering a beautiful (and terrifying) atmosphere to set the mood. I remember back in May last year, I was so pumped to play this and Red Dead Redemption, that the wait was just agonizing. I hope they retain the same episodic narration style for the sequel as well. Just like a TV series, this game could have a Season 2. Come to think of it, We could have a whole new TV show based on the game.

Back