Aliexpress.com - Feedback Thread

Anyone looking to buy stuff from China should try Ebay. The catalogue is not great like Ali but it is better than nothing. I have recently purchased an item from Ebay and it reached me in 45 days but the delay was from China post. Once it arrived in India, it took 10 days to reach my place, custom clearance was done in 2 days. All information on the packet was written in Chinese and English both and country of Origin was mentioned as China so it is clear that our customs are not holding parcels originating from China. A few sellers may not be willing to ship to India but most do. Ask a seller before you order, sellers are very responsive on Ebay. Even Items with batteries are okay.

Is this eBay.com? It has Chinese sellers as well? I somehow thought it had only US sellers.

Is this eBay.com? It has Chinese sellers as well? I somehow thought it had only US sellers.
Also, eBay (PayPal and international cards) stopped working with Indian cards sometime in Feb and last time I checked last month, they had still not resolved it. Apparently eBay has migrated to a new opt-in payment system whereas nearly all the Chinese sellers are still using the old system which doesn't work with non-US cards any more. So, don't be surprised if your payment keeps failing.

Also, eBay (PayPal and international cards) stopped working with Indian cards sometime in Feb and last time I checked last month, they had still not resolved it. Apparently eBay has migrated to a new opt-in payment system whereas nearly all the Chinese sellers are still using the old system which doesn't work with non-US cards any more. So, don't be surprised if your payment keeps failing.
No issues with HDFC and SBI credit cards when buying from eaby.com using paypal

Got a package ordered in oct 20, a week back and it was shipped via untracked china post. Package size was 10x8x3 inches was a battery charger, customs did open it despite going through xray, but no duties. Payed via paypal not aliexpress.

Last edited:
Payment on Ebay does not work via CC, the payment mode has to be Paypal in most cases otherwise the gateway gives weird errors. So we have to pay a PAYPAL tax for every purchase unlike Ali where currency conversions were perfect.

Payment on Ebay does not work via CC, the payment mode has to be Paypal in most cases otherwise the gateway gives weird errors. So we have to pay a PAYPAL tax for every purchase unlike Ali where currency conversions were perfect.
What PayPal tax are you talking about here?
PayPal charges the seller, their transaction fees and not the buyer.

What PayPal tax are you talking about here?
PayPal charges the seller, their transaction fees and not the buyer.
Paypal conversion rates are horrible so a buyer end up paying some 2-3 RS extra for every dollar spent. It is a minor tax but it adds up if the payment is big. There is no such tax if you use your own cc on any website be it Amazon, AliExpress or Ebay.

Paypal conversion rates are horrible so a buyer end up paying some 2-3 RS extra for every dollar spent. It is a minor tax but it adds up if the payment is big. There is no such tax if you use your own cc on any website be it Amazon, AliExpress or Ebay.
You know that you have the option to change the conversion agent right. You can choose to use your bank's conversion rates instead. Basically you'll pay in dollars instead.
And those conversion rate and 2-3%conversion charges are charged everywhere, even on Aliexpress and the other sites you mentioned. It comes listed separately in your credit card statement.

You know that you have the option to change the conversion agent right. You can choose to use your bank's conversion rates instead. Basically you'll pay in dollars instead.
And those conversion rate and 2-3%conversion charges are charged everywhere, even on Aliexpress and the other sites you mentioned. It comes listed separately in your credit card statement.
right

My bad. I mean there is no hidden tax. CC charges are clear from the beginning and CC do not charge sellers. Paypal charges sellers for its service and still indirectly charge us by offering a horrible conversion rate. I think it eats up nearly 10% if one wants to receive money in dollars.

No issues with HDFC and SBI credit cards when buying from eaby.com using paypal

I faced this issue with at least 4-5 bank cards including HDFC and SBI, so not sure when it comes in to effect. At least for the items I wanted to purchase, I couldn't complete payment for any of them and got stuck in the payments loop after entering the OTP.

Usually prefer using my 0% markup card as there are no conversion charges, but I tried Paypal's conversion as well with the same effect. It last worked for me in Jan or early Feb, so have given up on using eBay for now.

I faced this issue with at least 4-5 bank cards including HDFC and SBI, so not sure when it comes in to effect. At least for the items I wanted to purchase, I couldn't complete payment for any of them and got stuck in the payments loop after entering the OTP.

Usually prefer using my 0% markup card as there are no conversion charges, but I tried Paypal's conversion as well with the same effect. It last worked for me in Jan or early Feb, so have given up on using eBay for now.
Today also purchased from ebay using paypal, no issues for me

Today also purchased from ebay using paypal, no issues for me
Direct card payment didn't work as it was stuck in the OTP loop but payment through PayPal using card issuer conversion worked this time.

For reference, the PayPal INR conversion was 5.6% higher compared to the INR value charged on my card.

Direct card payment didn't work as it was stuck in the OTP loop but payment through PayPal using card issuer conversion worked this time.

For reference, the PayPal INR conversion was 5.6% higher compared to the INR value charged on my card.
Yes , I have been using my credit card conversion rate on paypal

The item that you bought, is it going to be shipped from China?
Is there any specific filter on Ebay.com, using which I can find sellers specifically from China? (US/Canada sellers have huge shipping fee)

Placed an order with AE seller thru his eBay store for some NFC tags worth around $10 around 15th April - It was surprisingly delivered in Mumbai yesterday within 3 weeks. Some of the AE sellers also operate eBay stores so it can be good to ask.

I am seeing a lot more options thru ebay over the last few weeks. A fair amount of the best selling items from AE are available on eBay for similar prices (Though the catalog is much smaller) .
Protip: Browsing on ebay.co.uk gives a lot more options for some reason.

Back