Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Photography Thread !

Guys,

how is NIKON's D3000?any other recommendations in its segment?(<40k)

the D3000+18-55mm kit lens is around 36K inc.BAG+4GB card+AF70-300 Tamron Lens+STEINER 8x200 Binocular

and which DSLR below 40K has the best Video capturing capability?

Thank you

D3000 doesn't record video.

With a budget of 40k You can look at 500D and D5000, both of them record video, though the autofocus during recording is very sluggish.

Dslrs, always have some issues with video. the nikon d5000, doesnot autofocus during video, so you have to do that manually, while in the canon, you have to press the AF button, each time the object loses focus, to get the camera to focus again.

Hi Guys,

I just got the nikon D5000 with 18-55 mm VR lens. Got a killer deal @ Rs. 25,000 (converted from Japanese Yen) bought from Japan on a sale.

Need suggestions on a tripod and the price range . Anyone ?

OK contacted the seller for 1000D deal of the week item:

eBay India: Canon EOS-1000D + 18-55mm Lens + 2 Years Mfr Warranty (item 150428748574 end time 07-Apr-2010 09:30:00 IST)

I asked him if he can replace the Kit lens with IS kit lens, and list it again (with additional cost involved), and he said, yes IS Kit lens will cost another 2000/- (It'll be with 1 year dealer warranty) but he can't list it. I buy the 1000D from the link given. Then he'll mail me his bank detail, I'd transfer 2000/- outside eBay, and he replaces and sends the IS kit lens.

So What I want to know is

1. how much better is the IS kit lens over non-IS?
2. Is it good to do transaction outside eBay?

Need help quickly, because I don't think the listing will last for long.

Parv said:

I have not bought anything from ebay till now so can't tell but about the lens i can tell you that apart from IS advantage, the optics of 18-55 IS superior than that of a non IS version.:beer:

And if you are getting it after paying 2k then its well worth it.:hap2:

rahul30 said:
Hi Guys,

I just got the nikon D5000 with 18-55 mm VR lens. Got a killer deal @ Rs. 25,000 (converted from Japanese Yen) bought from Japan on a sale.

Need suggestions on a tripod and the price range . Anyone ?

If you are not going to BIG/heavy lens then you can get something in the range of 3k very easily.

If you want something rugged then go for manfrotto, they start from 7k AFAIR.They have models made from carbon fiber and all.

Another suggestion, whatever tripod you buy, try to get one which is having a metal head and a ball joint.:cool2:

sh@sh! said:
If you are not going to BIG/heavy lens then you can get something in the range of 3k very easily.

If you want something rugged then go for manfrotto, they start from 7k AFAIR.They have models made from carbon fiber and all.

Another suggestion, whatever tripod you buy, try to get one which is having a metal head and a ball joint.:cool2:

Thanks for the information. One of my friends recommended me something called gorilla kits . Can you suggest which will be better between an ordinary tripod and the gorilla kit ?

Also in local shops here in Kolkata , I am not being able to find class-6 SDHC cards. Which online shop sells it other than ebay ?

Parv said:
OK contacted the seller for 1000D deal of the week item:
So What I want to know is

Need help quickly, because I don't think the listing will last for long.

Answer 1: Its the definite way to go for IS lens as it makes a big difference to your photos. Allows you to go 2 f stops higher or faster shutter speeds, you should definitely go for it.

Answer 2 :
IIRC the dealer in question is Solar Digicam.
Eventhough I have not dealt with them, From read reviews they seem to be quite trustworthy and reputed.

The deals of weeks are seleted by Ebay and they combine with selected dealers to provide special price plus waive off shipping charges. the deal in question will last till next tuesday 11.59 midnight.

Now out side ebay transaction will be little risky but the amount is small compared to paisapay amount so if you are not satisfied than you can raise the dispute at Ebay.

From my gut feelings I would say, If I were at your place I would have taken the plunge.
And lastly also look at Nikon D5000 deal from same segment less than 31k with VR lens in deal included, worth considering.

^^ Helpful post.

Dealer is Customer-Store and they are also quite reputed. Just thought of taking other's opinions.

I'm going for 1000D with Canon India warranty as I'm beginner in DSLR and I can save 8K comparing to D5000.

Update:

Yesterday I asked Jayesh to give quotes for the price of D90 body only and 1000D with IS kit lens with and without warranty.

Today when I had already ordered 1000D on eBay, he sent message 49k for D90 and 21k for 1000D with regular kit +4k for IS kit instead of regular (All price with bill and warranty).

Tomorrow I'll be calling the eBay seller for the IS kit deal.

1. He's asking 2k for IS kit lens but it'll be with 1 year dealer warranty.

2. Jayesh quoted 4k for the Canon India warranty (Can someone confirm if it's 2 year or just one year for the lens).

3. I go with regular kit without paying anything extra. Just saw few results like this one on Flickr - Photo Sharing!.

I'm just looking for opinions, though I know most of the recommendation will be for IS kit.

4. If IS is must, so which one 2k with dealer warranty or 4k with canon warranty (I'll ask the eBay seller for the same)?

Please reply quickly guys as I'll have to fix the deal for IS lens tomorrow.

Any help on my above said query. :S

I've to talk to the seller this afternoon regarding the same.

Though IS lens has better IQ than non-IS part but you won't notice much improvement unless you enlarge those pics or shoot at low-light conditions. I must say kit lens is pretty weak in low-light performance but you can't expect much from those cheap lenses. If you mostly shoot in low-light then this lens is not for you.

If you are going to shoot mostly during day time get non-IS kit and use it until you know your preference of shooting or style of shooting.

@Parv:

the deal you are talking about is made like this : 2 years canon warranty on body and 1 year dealer warranty on lens (the replacement IS lens).

iirc : may be wrong every manufacturer gives one year warranty on lenses. Only body gets more warranty.

BTW zhopudey already ordered from same deal with IS lens, pm him and get more info.

impo you must go for IS lens specially if this is your first foray in DSLR field. you will enjoy your photography more.

my first stint with a friends Pentax DSLR was mixed, my another stint with a cousins Sony Alpha 350 was horrible.

so go for IS lens you will not regret.

Dude, its not about the IS in the Canon 18-55mm IS lens in comparison with no IS 18-55..

the major thing is that, 18-55 IS lens has the better optics that the 18-55 non IS...

so for 2K more, you get better optics, that is better IQ plus IS...

this is the reason why 18-55mm IS is recommended...

So plz dont think that you are getting 18-55mm IS just because it has IS over non IS 18-55 lens...

^^ He is right. Optics win over IS or anything else. The older non IS kit lens was panned as being one of the all time worst kit lenses. Even with my A200 kit lens I used to get disappointed a lot as I would get soft images most of the time. It was only after I got a replacement lens that I came to value a sharp lens.

Get the IS lens with warranty. 2k is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

However in future when you get better lenses then buy in grey only as the price difference increases a lot (between white and grey).

@ medpal: Thanks I'll contact zhopudey.

@ Darky, BF1983, ashvarybabul: I think I'll go for IS lens as you all are suggesting.

But my forth question still remain unanswered !! So I'll put it again.

4. If IS is must, so which one 2k with dealer warranty or 4k with canon warranty (I'll ask the eBay seller for the same)?

@ BF1983: 2k is for grey and It's 4k for the white :huh:

Get a grey one, spending double on kit lens is not worth imo.

Or get a non-IS one and get better lens like Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 after selling it later on.

^^ If you are referring to Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC, That's around 35K. Or it's something else.

I thought of getting regular kit lens and then sell it and get a better, but I don't think any reasonably good 17-55 is priced below 20k, so I thought of going for IS lens.

^ Its a VC(Vibration Compensation) lens which is similar to IS in canon terms.

Non-VC would cost you around 18k and has much better sharpness and IQ than canon kit lens. For 17-50 focal length IS is desirable but not essential unless you shoot in very low light conditions.

I know about VC.

I was asking which lens you were referring, VC or non-VC?

VC is quite pricey for me ATM.

Parv said:
^^ If you are referring to Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC, That's around 35K. Or it's something else.
I thought of getting regular kit lens and then sell it and get a better, but I don't think any reasonably good 17-55 is priced below 20k, so I thought of going for IS lens.
I don't think the kit lens, with IS or without, with get you much on resale compared to the cost of any good lens. :p Better to just keep it.
I ordered the 1000d from ebay yesterday, and paid 2k extra for the IS lens. I'll get a 50mm prime as well soon. Now I'm searching for an affordable bag.
BTW, the "1000d for Dummies" book is just awesome. Highly recommended. :hap2: Follow that with Scott Kelby's books on digital photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back