Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
rahul30 said:
Thanks for the information. One of my friends recommended me something called gorilla kits . Can you suggest which will be better between an ordinary tripod and the gorilla kit ?

Gorilla pod is a nice addition if you want to shoot in awkward positions :) but remember its useful only with small lenses, say if you put a 70-300 then it will be a problem, think of this as a secondary tripod,:)

Listen man, these two kit lenses look as if they are same except for the IS functionality but its not like that, like i said before IS version fo the lens is optically superior.

And the difference of prices in lens is because jayesh will offer you 2 yrs canon warranty and the ebay seller who is charging you 2k extra is giving you his 1 year warranty (if i'm reading correctly) which is a nice addition. These lenses are built with highest standard so its very very rare that you will see a problem, so IMO pay 2k and take the lens.

Checking this thread very late but hope it will help you in someway:hap2:

keep us posted..!

@Parv: Have you made the great decision yet? :D I read through all your posts, and man you're confusing yourself no end about 2 simple things:

1. Get the IS lens. Don't ask too many questions when you yourself are in doubt. A lot of the photog oldies here have said it, trust blindly. :)

2. Save money, wherever you can. You're getting warranty on the body, warranty on the lens is not that important. Simple.

I hope you're now capturing photographs and not deciding about the lens still. :p

Cheers!
Payne

thetechmind said:
n00b question : how/is the 1000D better than the D3000 ?

Who is saying it is better?;)
In fact I have used both of them, the major advantage of 1000D is its CMOS sensor and the way canon treats images in low light.

canon retain details with a little noise in the image in low light whereas nikon tries to remove more noise from the image and in that process removes some of the details but don't worry much about that unless you are shooting in low light and planning to blow the image off to 100%.
The live view mode is nice but unusable most of the time, it's a new addition and maybe will take time to develop so if you're saying 1000D is better for this function then it's not correct.

The major major advantage nikon is having is its kit lens which is having VR and optically superior to the lens supplied with canon and another advantage is its 11 point AF system as compared to 7 point AF canon has.

Also note that canon has greater presence in india in terms of distribution/after sales.

So it all comes down to your personal preference, which one you want to go with. I have a canon and I totally love it but I have also used nikon and it's equally awesome.

Finally, both these are just tools to capture, it's you who is responsible how the image is made using these tools. so don't worry about them too much.:cool2::cheers:

-D.Payne- said:
@Parv: Have you made the great decision yet
:rofl:

zhopudey said:
I ordered the 1000d from ebay yesterday, and paid 2k extra for the IS lens. I'll get a 50mm prime as well soon. Now I'm searching for an affordable bag.
BTW, the "1000d for Dummies" book is just awesome. Highly recommended. :hap2: Follow that with Scott Kelby's books on digital photography.

I'm also looking for a good bag. This time before these Foto Guru's kill me for my noob queries, I've almost decided on Kata DR-467.

Only problem is this is quite costly and might be an overkill for just a laptop and a 1000D kit.

@Parv

I recently bought Kata DR-467 from ebay. It is a nice bag and if you can try smartshoppers.in and they sell it for 4.2k. I get it for 3.7K from ebay with Rs. 1000 discount with Citi Card but i find the bag is not very useful if you have more than 2 zoom lens.

Well, the DR-467 can fit camera with 1 zoom, 1 more zoom lens, 2 small primes and 1 flash easily if you remove the bag's built-in raincoat.

Apart from that, it's a great daily-use bag - not really for the serious photographer on an assignment type. Daily use because you can fit the laptop, its charger, diary/book, and lots more in the compartments without reducing camera space.

For most of the "enthusiasts" who own a DSLR + 18-55 kitlens + 55-250 + 50mm prime + 1 flash, it'll easily suffice. I've used with a Sony A300, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, 50mm f1.7, Sony 18-250, and a Sony HVL-F42 flash all stored in the camera compartment. The charger + laptop + laptop charger + batteries + filters used to go in the other places.

I feel the complete camera bags with a full array of dividers etc for the camera are mostly underutilized 'cuz most camera users do not have such a big range of lenses. :)

Cheers!
Payne

^^ Honestly? I wouldn't know. :)

1. The Kata DR-467 is amazingly weatherproof, I've drenched it in Goan monsoons and my camera has been bone dry. I've dropped it here, there and everywhere and nothing happened to my kit. Its travelled ALL across India, from national parks to mountain treks (ok one one of those! :p) to the daily grind of being used 365 days as a work-bag, and never disappointed me. :)

2. Lower end Laptop+SLR bags do not give you the usability of the DR-467. As I said before, this is a 50% camera, 50% regular use bag - not a 100% camera bag.

I have NO idea about cheaper bags - I own another Kata 3-n-1 20 for a 100% photo trip, and now am getting a ThinkTank Take-Off for the big trips. :D

Oh btw, I used to use the usual Samsonite laptop bag (2.4k) before I got the Kata. :)

Cheers!
Payne

@ Payne

Well, I dont have much ideas of bag, but how about Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 as a backpack over Kata DR-467...??

specially when budget is an issue, coz micro trekker 200 is around 3.3K.

Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 & Kata DR-467 are totally different bags. So probably they can't be compared.

Either of them has to be bought depending on particular need.

Parv said:
Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 & Kata DR-467 are totally different bags. So probably they can't be compared.

Either of them has to be bought depending on particular need.

But Micro Trekker 200 provides more space for cam gears than Kata DR-467

^^ Can you put a laptop in Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 :tongue:

That's why I said both are different bags and can't be compared.

Parv said:
Thinking of buying this,

eBay India: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Lens New (item 390181290445 end time 17-Apr-2010 22:22:26 IST)

Are there any variants of 50mm F1.8, asking because I thought there is only one 50mm F1.8 II, while this is just 50mm F1.8 (though the picture is 50mm F1.8 II) :S

Also I have just starting using the DSLR with 18-55 IS kit lens, So is it too early to buy a prime?

Probably the older generation one, though the model number seems to be that of 50mm F1.8 II especially at such a low price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back