Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested, the new deal of the week on ebay has the following with 0% emi options using icici credit cards (3 and 6 months)-

Canon EOS 1000D DSLR + 18-55mm Lens + 2Yrs Mfr Warranty @ Rs. 20790/-

Nikon D3000 DSLR + 18-55mm Lens + 2 Yrs Mfr Warranty @ Rs. 22100/-

Both are sold by customer.shop

There is also an option for D5000 @ Rs. 27800/- but that doesn't have manufacturer warranty.

vb86 said:
For those interested, the new deal of the week on ebay has the following with 0% emi options using icici credit cards (3 and 6 months)-

Canon EOS 1000D DSLR + 18-55mm Lens + 2Yrs Mfr Warranty @ Rs. 20790/-

Nikon D3000 DSLR + 18-55mm Lens + 2 Yrs Mfr Warranty @ Rs. 22100/-

Both are sold by customer.shop

There is also an option for D5000 @ Rs. 27800/- but that doesn't have manufacturer warranty.

this is so awsome....thanks for the headsup.....*runs to check cc credit*

Edit : Can discount coupons be used on deals ?

srsriharsha said:
I am interested if i can get it for 4.2k :)

Parv, sell the lens u bought n go buy a new one :p

:rofl: :rofl:

I used ICICI net banking for ICICI 20% coupon, which has already expired.

BTW I had posted it on this thread that I was going for 50mm for 4.2k, I guess you guys missed it :p

i am not gettin the is lens deal on canon100d but the r providing some efs lens.. wats the difference.. i kno is is for image stabilization..but wat is the efs for.. wat r the disadvantages of takin the efs lens..

Practically no disadvantage....

one issue is that you wont be able to use them in bodies which only have EF mount (and not EF-S)

however, the non EF-S bodies are generally higher end ones like 1D 1Ds 5D etc series... an once you get these higher end bodies you dont use cheap 10k lens on them...

wat i hav understood is.. ther r two types of mount ef and efs.. all lens cant be mount on ef but can be mount on efs.. now the question is.. wat type of lens is IS lens.. i wanna get the 18-55 IS lens.. but in the pack it wasnt written anything abt IS lens..it was only written 18-55 efs lens.. so is it a bad deal.. if i but tat can i mount IS lens later..

^^ Well you are nearly right...

EF-S mount was made for making cheaper lenses to attract low end entry level DSLR users..

about IS - IS stands for image stabilization.. it could be elaborated widely with technical talks.. but in short it cut down the movement in the photo caused due to motion of hand and camera.... thus it gives a more stabilized beam of light to sensor, which reduces the possibility of blur when shooting at slow shutter speed...

hence IS offers you two shoot photos in low light with slow shutter without much blur in it...

generally as said my manufacturers IS gives you 1-2 stops increment.....

Whether you need IS on a particular lens or not is a very conflicting topic and out of scope of this post...

talking specifically for canon 18-55mm lens.. the IS version is worth a buy over the non IS lens...

coz the IS version not only have the IS function in it but canon made the changes in optics too which resulted in better photo quality of 18-55mm IS lens over non IS version...

^^ Err, not really. In EF-S lenses, S stands for short flange which means it will not cover the entire circle of a 35mm sensor. They are made exclusively for APS-C size sensor DSLRs like the 1000D, 550D, 7D etc. If it were possible to use these lenses on a 35mm camera like the Canon IDs Mark III then you will get severe vignetting where the outer portion of the image will be cropped off.

Some APS-C designed lenses though can fit and work on a FF camera as well.

For instance the Sigma 10-20mm ultrawide lens can work on a FF camera at 15mm i.e. you will not experience any dark corners at the 15mm setting on a FF camera.

See both Canon kit lenses (18-55mm) are EF-S lenses. However you should choose the 18-55mm EF-S IS lens. The IS lens in addition to giving you IS is also much sharper and better than the non IS version.

this was the answer tat i was lookin for.. :)
thanx everybody for the knowledge.. now i can brag in front of my photography intrested frnds.. :p

BF1983 said:
^^ Err, not really. In EF-S lenses, S stands for short flange which means it will not cover the entire circle of a 35mm sensor. They are made exclusively for APS-C size sensor DSLRs like the 1000D, 550D, 7D etc.
Thanxx for elaborating it... I certainly missed it...

However I did mentioned in the earlier post that a cam with EF-S mount can use both EF and EF-S lens.. however you can not use EF-S lens on only EF mount bodies...

I request every senior member, that when talked about Canon 18-55mm IS and non IS lens here in thread, plz dont just mention that get IS one coz you get IS in it....

This creates a wrong understanding in beginners that IS lens is better and hence only IS ones should be preferred...

The main reason for preferring Canon 18-55mm IS over non IS is that IS one has way better optics in it than non IS one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back