Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may help regarding 18-55IS vs 18-55 issues. (quote from dpreview)

"The EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 looks destined to carry the flag as the kit lens sold with virtually every Canon dSLR over the next few years (and that counts as an awful lot of lenses), so it really needs to perform well in the face of some impressive competition. Fortunately for them, Canon have indeed upped the ante with this new lens; it's much better than its predecessor, especially in terms of sharpness in the corners and at wider apertures, and with reduced chromatic aberrations to boot. Indeed overall it's an extremely well-behaved little lens, with very few nasty surprises for the user, and a remarkably good image stabilisation unit; indeed Canon's main concern may ultimately become whether users have as much incentive to upgrade to more expensive optics as they did before.

Of course this is still fundamentally a relatively cheap kit lens, so all is not a bed of roses, and the test numbers don't quite tell the whole story. Local constrast is still lower than more expensive lenses, and flare can be a real problem, both likely predicated by reflections of stray light from the inside of the lens barrel, which is much less shielded than on more expensive lenses. The manual focus ring and lens hood are both nearly worse than useless, and while Canon aren't alone in cutting corners here, both Pentax and Olympus have shown that these simple features can be implemented well on a kit lens without bankrupting the company. So whilst this lens is indeed very good, if not exceptional for the price, and certainly very much better than its unstabilized predecessor, surprisingly enough it still can't quite match the more expensive lenses in the range.

In summary, this lens is a very welcome addition to Canon's range, and gives new dSLR owners a level of optical quality in the basic kit lens which was previously lacking; the addition of IS also goes a long way to increasing its flexibility. It makes an ideal lightweight general purpose-starter lens, and as such can only be recommended."

Hi. I have great interest in photography and am looking forward to buying a decent dslr. My main interests would be macro as well as distant objects. It should suffice for general photography (nature,landscape) as well. Please suggest any good cameras. My budget will be between 35 - 45k.

Also suggest if there are any which are below that range as well. Thanks.

Looking to buy a dSLR and have my eyes set on the Nikon D3000. Getting it off eBay - eBay India: Nikon D3000 DSLR + 18-55mm Lens + 2 Yrs Mfr Warranty (item 150445561091 end time 18-Jun-2010 11:41:02 IST)

As per that link, it comes with the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 VR lens (which is the equivalent of an IS lens ?). Looked up that lens on DPReview and it does look good (As per me :p) - Nikon DX 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 VR Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Brendon and Joseph - Help !! :p Let me know if this choice is right over the Canon 1000D with an IS lens which will cost me 1k more than this. Video recording is not a concern as I dont shoot video with my cam :p

This is regarding post #461 by me. I researched a bit and shortlisted the Canon 450D. I've never handled a dslr before and I dunno what functions and features I am to look for. All I know is that more megapixel isn't the basis to decide on a cam. Please advice. Any other cameras which can provide competition to this one while maintaining the same 35k budget?

blueren said:
This is regarding post #461 by me. I researched a bit and shortlisted the Canon 450D. I've never handled a dslr before and I dunno what functions and features I am to look for. All I know is that more megapixel isn't the basis to decide on a cam. Please advice. Any other cameras which can provide competition to this one while maintaining the same 35k budget?

The canon 450D is EOL.

For 45K, you can get the latest 550D from canon. It comes with the IS kit lens. The 18-55 is not a do-it-all lens, mind you. You will need a macro lens or a tele (from what I read in your earlier post), so you will need to figure in the cost factor for that. If you're willing to go in for the 500D, which costs about 34K now, you will have money left to purchase an 55-250IS lens, which will cover your telephoto needs. You will need to purchase a separate macro lens for dedicated macro work, OR, you could get one of the 70-300 lens with macro (its 1:2 though) . However, buying the 450D right now does not make much sense (unless you're getting it very cheap, of course).

@Freaky: The Nikon D5000. Stretch a tad, and get it. Simple.

The D3000 is wayyy too basic, with no Liveview as well and an ooold sensor which has been around since the days of the D40x/D80/D200.

So please, get that D5000. And enjoy.

If you want only Canon, then the 500D is a much better bet.

If not Canon, then the Nikon D5000 is a great option as well - cheaper to boot.

Just to add to the mix, the Nikon D90 is also available for about 32k. Add an extra 16k for the 18-55mm VR lens and 55-200mm VR lens.

AK3D said:
The canon 450D is EOL.
For 45K, you can get the latest 550D from canon. It comes with the IS kit lens. The 18-55 is not a do-it-all lens, mind you. You will need a macro lens or a tele (from what I read in your earlier post), so you will need to figure in the cost factor for that. If you're willing to go in for the 500D, which costs about 34K now, you will have money left to purchase an 55-250IS lens, which will cover your telephoto needs. You will need to purchase a separate macro lens for dedicated macro work, OR, you could get one of the 70-300 lens with macro (its 1:2 though) . However, buying the 450D right now does not make much sense (unless you're getting it very cheap, of course).
Thanks for that. But its my dad who's getting me one. I'm in no position to buy one on my own unfortunately. So I'll be sticking to the stock lens for now.. At least for the next couple of years. And how come the 500D and the 550D are so cheap? 34K? Grey? My dad won't agree on that sorta stuff. Is it worthwhile buying at a canon store itself? What would be its rough estimate?

The 550 is for 42K grey market. With canon India warranty, its 45-46K

The 500D is 34K with bill and 2 year canon warranty.

blueren said:
Thanks for that. But its my dad who's getting me one. I'm in no position to buy one on my own unfortunately. So I'll be sticking to the stock lens for now.. At least for the next couple of years. And how come the 500D and the 550D are so cheap? 34K? Grey? My dad won't agree on that sorta stuff. Is it worthwhile buying at a canon store itself? What would be its rough estimate?

-D.Payne- said:
@Freaky: The Nikon D5000. Stretch a tad, and get it. Simple.

The D3000 is wayyy too basic, with no Liveview as well and an ooold sensor which has been around since the days of the D40x/D80/D200.

So please, get that D5000. And enjoy.
Aargghhh... That's almost 11k more :cry:

My PC upgrade is down the drain then :p

EDIT: Is this a Prime - http://smartshoppers.in/product/af-nikkor-50mm-f18d/ ? Do I need to get this as well ?

Mahesh: you might wanna look at Canon options too, Nikon's lack of AF mechanism on the body of the D3000 and D5000 would make lens upgrade options very expensive. Alternatively look at Nikon D90, I had used Yogi's and simply fell in love the camera, Brendan said its for 32k for the body, you will save in the lens upgrade later on...

The major con of Canon, in the form of grip is negated if you have never used any DSLR before. 1000D is my 1st DSLR, and have no gripe on the ergonomics. Ofcourse the D90 felt more solid... In addition the AF system in Canon (atleast on 1000D) is less robust than Nikon, but not a big issue IMO atleast on the kit lenses.

Was checking the D90 - The lowest I see anywhere is 38k for the body only. Brendon, your source for 32k ? :S

The 500D with 18-55 IS lens is 38.5k which is pushing my already stretched budget :cry:

Looks like I'm gonna end up with the 1000D :p My only concern was regarding the grip but if its not a problem for first time users, I might go with it.

Or get the D5000 with the 18-55 VR lens and a Prime and settle for now. Bother about upgrades later :p

As all you know that mansoon is near by and every one is eager to capture this beatiful season. I never used DSLR in this season, so i need some tips to handle DSLR during mansoon. It is very important to keep it dry, so please share your tips with other. BTW dont suggest not to use it during this time :p

Freaky said:
Was checking the D90 - The lowest I see anywhere is 38k for the body only. Brendon, your source for 32k ? :S

The 500D with 18-55 IS lens is 38.5k which is pushing my already stretched budget :cry:

Looks like I'm gonna end up with the 1000D :p My only concern was regarding the grip but if its not a problem for first time users, I might go with it.

Or get the D5000 with the 18-55 VR lens and a Prime and settle for now. Bother about upgrades later :p
32k is the grey market price. :)

Well yes I too would suggest the 1000D. Cheaper and you can use a nice cheap lens like the 50mm f1.8

Hi guys. I checked up with gkvale and theses are their price quotes.

Canon 500D - 37825 after some discount offer

Canon 550D - 46k

Nikon D5000 - 36.8K

If I meet them in person and finalize, then I can bargain for a lesser price.

I'm leaning towards the 500D. 550 overshoots my budget.

I checked out the specs of all these three but I'm not able to figure out what is what and which has better features/vfm. I'm still a n00b at this. I mostly will be finalizing on one of these three in a couple of weeks time. I don't wanna hurriedly end up buying something I dunno fully about as this is quite a costly investment. I'm hoping that this one buy will suffice for the years to come without any added investment.

Could someone assist me with the features, plus points and drawbacks of these 3 models? All I own now is a Sony Cybershot T77 and to be frank I've never held a dslr before.

Thanks.

blueren said:
Hi guys. I checked up with gkvale and theses are their price quotes.

Canon 500D - 37825 after some discount offer

Canon 550D - 46k

Nikon D5000 - 36.8K

If I meet them in person and finalize, then I can bargain for a lesser price.

I'm leaning towards the 500D. 550 overshoots my budget.

I checked out the specs of all these three but I'm not able to figure out what is what and which has better features/vfm. I'm still a n00b at this. I mostly will be finalizing on one of these three in a couple of weeks time. I don't wanna hurriedly end up buying something I dunno fully about as this is quite a costly investment. I'm hoping that this one buy will suffice for the years to come without any added investment.

Could someone assist me with the features, plus points and drawbacks of these 3 models? All I own now is a Sony Cybershot T77 and to be frank I've never held a dslr before.

Thanks.
Being frank, you wont go wrong with any of the three..

My personal preference would had been Canon 550D > Nikon D5000 > Canon 500D

budget is the deciding factor..

Also make sure, if you are going with Nikon D5000 you dont have any problem with the manual focusing.. coz it lacks with the focusing motor in the body..

Well, most of the lenses out today (and the one you will buy) are AF-S i.e. AF motor in the lens.. but if some day you start suffering with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and get some old lens, you need to opt with manual focusing...

most people get attracted and addicted towards Manual focusing, some seriously hate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back