Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueren said:
Why that order? What makes the nikon better than 500D?
its sensor performance, the 11point AF system, better ergonomics etc.

now if i may add to this debate, :)

go for the D90 over the D5000, now that i'm looking at lens options... one of the first that you would look for, a prime..

the AF 50mm prime (which wont AF on the d5000) costs under 6k

the AF-S 35mm prime (which will AF on the d5000) costs 12k

NOTE :: all of these will AF on the d90

so thats a huge saving, on 1 lens alone... when you get the d90 over the d5000

I'm kinda zeroing in on the Canon 500D. Should I go in for the stock lens it comes with or should I buy the body alone and invest on a better lens? Which would work out cheaper and betteR?

Hmm.. Its a 50mm right? I'm just trying out all the options at hand before settling for one. Its quite an investment for me. Is there any lens out there that can outdo the kit lens? Also, if I'm buying only the body, how much cheaper would it be?

Brendon, where the heck is the D90 available for 32k! That's a kickass deal!
It is now my #1 reco'ed entry-level DSLR. Of course, calling a D90 "entry-level" almost sounds funny. It is such a brilliant camera which is leagues ahead of all the other entry-level DSLRs floating around!

blueren said:
Hmm.. Its a 50mm right? I'm just trying out all the options at hand before settling for one. Its quite an investment for me. Is there any lens out there that can outdo the kit lens? Also, if I'm buying only the body, how much cheaper would it be?
The kit lens is decent lens for startup... yes the 50mm lens is a good lens, but it will limit you to specific use (with bigger aperture)... however, kit lens give you opportunity to roam from wide to bit tele focal length... good for general purpose it the beginning... better to buy kit lens now and then spending on specific lenses meeting your interest (if your interest is still not defined.)

i personally doubt that the D90 - body only is available for 32k in the grey market. 32k is much lower than the price in US or Hong Kong, which reminds me, my friend is shopping for a new lens for me in Hong Kong right now! Will reveal the details once I have it in hand, which should be saturday. Cant wait!!

I confirmed the price of D90 last saturday from Jayesh, and he gave me a price of 35k grey and 39k with Nikon warranty.

^^ Hmm those are awesome prices, no reason to go for a Nikon D5000 now... Damn if I had waited for 3-4 months, I would have got a D90 in lieu of a 1000D..

^which's true with almost every other gadget as well! :D

The more you wait, the more you save and splurge later on - of course there's always something better in the horizon which you may or may not be able to afford by then. :p

Once you have completely mastered the D1000, it's time to move on for something better and try better lenses. :)

The thing is I doubt I will be moving to the Nikon camp now, as will be buying Canon lenses. Am happy with 1000D, am far from mastering it yet so I guess will last me 1.5 years more...

im a d90 user. i picked up the kit from hong kong last year for 56-58k. at that time, the mrp in india for the kit was 85k. however, recently, the mrp has come down to 59k and can be bought with bill for a much cheaper price. this price is only a little more than the US price. infact, shops are retailing it with bill for prices lower than B&h and amazon. the same can be seen with the cheaper nikon dslrs. the prices have drastically come down in india.

my new lens has reached delhi. i need to buy a 77mm uv filter for protection. i use a hoya pro 1d on my other lens. any recommendations? it should be slim, under 5mm.

Ok a stupid question, I have a cheapo UV filter fitted on my kit lenses by the dealer? Do i need something better for protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back