Amazon India - Feedback Thread

So I saw a nice upgrade from my Strix X470-F, allowing me to get the full benefit of my new SSDs and 4070Ti-S:

Took 4 days to get here, which is about average.

This is what arrived:

Zero packaging. Like zero. Just a strip of tape on top of the product box with an envelope and the invoice. No protection at all. Board would have been battered around like mad. Box shows signs of careless handling. Better than the last time, that looked like someone had sat on it. Still, not much help. No local dealer was willing to procure this board (or any X570S with 3+NvME ) for me.

Pretty sure board will boot up but will not get warranty. Fitting it into the case is also going to be a bit tricky with the IO shield like that, and it's a one piece with the heatsink. Had stopped buying motherboards from Amazon for this very reason, last one had also arrived like this. But this mobo isn't available anywhere else at the moment, and the price was much better than other shops where it was available. Maybe clearing damaged stuff? Anyway.

Trying to see if I can get a replacement and only if they pack it properly. I take 10x the effort to pack stuff for selling on the marketplace here, these guys don't want to even spend 20 rupees on packaging. I feel the resolution will take some time. They did issue me a refund the last time, but that board was half the price.
They have mentioned it will be shipped in "product packing".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240617-150031_Opera.png
    Screenshot_20240617-150031_Opera.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 63
these guys don't want to even spend 20 rupees on packaging. I feel the resolution will take some time. They did issue me a refund the last time, but that board was half the price.
20 bucks x thousands or millions of orders per year adds up to a lot

Remember when McD and Pizza Hut decided to charge Re 1 per ketchup packet? Even road side eateries wouldn't charge for extra chutney/sambhar/whatever.

Chasing ever increasing profits always leads to screwing the customer over.

Yeah but now they're possibly 27k down. I don't understand how their brains work, if that.

That is how insurance works. You pay a small amount upfront to protect yourself later. They said they 'test' the product to see if it can ship safely in that packaging. I can guarantee that the manufacturer of that motherboard will not agree, which is why they use outer cartons. If this goes south, I'll ask MSI to contribute their bit to the discussion and try and figure out what tests Amazon conducts. Local shipping within the same city, sure. In a large city to city shipment with hundreds of other products, not a chance. If it was a lighter motherboard this was probably OK. The front IO section is extremely heavy. You don't send heavy products in a way that you can induce movement.

I get that they want to reduce packaging. But they send my Mum's 400 rupee peanut butter in a huge cardboard box, and expensive products with a piece of cellotape. I'll post back if they resolve the situation - Amazon customer support is usually pretty good in these instances. But we'll see.

Last edited:
Amazon is penny pinching to the extreme.
Last year i bought a charger, a xiaomi pen and a mouse.
All of those came in their og packing without any protection.
Luckily these were small items, so the chance of damage was minimal.

Yeah but now they're possibly 27k down. I don't understand how their brains work, if that.

That is how insurance works. You pay a small amount upfront to protect yourself later. They said they 'test' the product to see if it can ship safely in that packaging. I can guarantee that the manufacturer of that motherboard will not agree, which is why they use outer cartons. If this goes south, I'll ask MSI to contribute their bit to the discussion and try and figure out what tests Amazon conducts. Local shipping within the same city, sure. In a large city to city shipment with hundreds of other products, not a chance. If it was a lighter motherboard this was probably OK. The front IO section is extremely heavy. You don't send heavy products in a way that you can induce movement.

I get that they want to reduce packaging. But they send my Mum's 400 rupee peanut butter in a huge cardboard box, and expensive products with a piece of cellotape. I'll post back if they resolve the situation - Amazon customer support is usually pretty good in these instances. But we'll see.
It's all about maximizing profits + statistical probability: even insurance companies wouldn't exist if it weren't profitable. i.e. not all their customers will actually end up claiming.

E.g. If you have 1 car, it makes sense to pay for insurance. But if you have a fleet of 20 cars, it makes sense to not buy insurance (legality aside) from others, but to have your own fund for damage repairs. The statistical likelihood of all 20 vehicles meeting with an accident is way more improbable than one or two getting into an accident in a given year.

Now, if you consider how many orders Amazon fulfills per day, saving on packaging on all of them can more than offset the loss from the occasional damage, which might have happened inspite of being in an extra box.

Is it good for Amazon? Yes
Is it good for the environment? Yes
Is it good for you? Nope

Attachments

• IMG_20240617_182850.jpg
    IMG_20240617_182850.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
No local dealer was willing to procure this board (or any X570S with 3+NvME ) for me.
Never really understood the need for 3 M.2 NVMe slots when all x570/good b550 mobos have 2 such ports & at least one pcie x1 slot in which one can use a 600 rupees pcie NVME adapter card (currently using one).

Pretty sure board will boot up but will not get warranty.
Yeah that board is not getting any warranty.

Trying to see if I can get a replacement and only if they pack it properly.
You should give up here because amazon isn't going to send you a replacement with exclusive/special packaging just for you. Their product page itself mention "Ships in product packaging" so you will get that only for every order of this product.

For the past 3 days Amazon is not delivering the products and updating delivery attempted. All these products are one day Prime delivery. Their CS updated that there is a shortage of manpower to deliver products during the past couple of weeks.

So I saw a nice upgrade from my Strix X470-F, allowing me to get the full benefit of my new SSDs and 4070Ti-S:

Took 4 days to get here, which is about average.

This is what arrived:

Zero packaging. Like zero. Just a strip of tape on top of the product box with an envelope and the invoice. No protection at all. Board would have been battered around like mad. Box shows signs of careless handling. Better than the last time, that looked like someone had sat on it. Still, not much help. No local dealer was willing to procure this board (or any X570S with 3+NvME ) for me.

Pretty sure board will boot up but will not get warranty. Fitting it into the case is also going to be a bit tricky with the IO shield like that, and it's a one piece with the heatsink. Had stopped buying motherboards from Amazon for this very reason, last one had also arrived like this. But this mobo isn't available anywhere else at the moment, and the price was much better than other shops where it was available. Maybe clearing damaged stuff? Anyway.

Trying to see if I can get a replacement and only if they pack it properly. I take 10x the effort to pack stuff for selling on the marketplace here, these guys don't want to even spend 20 rupees on packaging. I feel the resolution will take some time. They did issue me a refund the last time, but that board was half the price.

This is unfortunately getting incredibly common. My Xbox arrived without any outer carton, so did a bunch of items. Even books nowadays have started arriving without any outer box - had a couple of books with labels slapped on them - like WTF Amazon ?
My strike rate with Legos, including super expensive ones, on Amazon is nearly zero. Every single item arrived without a carton, and the box was broken in 20 places, and packed via tape ! Refused all Legos over years, and some delivery guys have to audacity to even ask what’s wrong with this ? Like WTF dude - do you have eyes and a brain ?
OTOH, if you order some cheap Chinese stuff, it’ll come in a carton 10 times its size. Amazon’s packing is a mess. I can’t believe I’m saying this - but I’m slowly moving to Flipkart with open box OTP items and CoD - even if it means losing some discount.
Can’t believe Amazon has become so pathetic.

Never really understood the need for 3 M.2 NVMe slots

There are use cases beyond what you have experienced, maybe some folks need different things? Is that okay?

My total NVME stock is 15 drives across a total of 6 PCs and 3 laptops, not including the ones that came with the laptops. I'd say at least 6 of these are really old and really slow, the rest are fairly up to date. As I sell through much of my old hardware, I will need to move data to larger and faster drives. I also do not like to fill drives beyond about 60% because of how it affects write speed and endurance. As a result, I end up needing quite a lot of drive space.

Cheap adapters are cheap and finicky, and fail often. I did buy an x4 unit, which turned out to be limited to PCIe 2.0 and a total scam. x1 slots are same as SATA speed, which isn't horrible but I'd still like to get what I paid for.

Let's not get too far off topic.

Never really understood the need for 3 M.2 NVMe slots when all x570/good b550 mobos have 2 such ports & at least one pcie x1 slot in which one can use a 600 rupees pcie NVME adapter card (currently using one).
I have all 3 M.2 NVME slots populated on my B650 Tomahawk (one for OS, two as game drives) + 1 HDD and 1 SATA SSD for mass storage and older retro games. Adapters may become finicky, and you can never have enough fast storage :playful:

OTOH, if you order some cheap Chinese stuff, it’ll come in a carton 10 times its size. Amazon’s packing is a mess. I can’t believe I’m saying this - but I’m slowly moving to Flipkart with open box OTP items and CoD - even if it means losing some discount.
Can’t believe Amazon has become so pathetic.
Last heard they are going green and reducing waste etc. and hence no more boxes.
Even I got pissed off with loose packing in fact zero packing yet carefully sticking the invoice in a brown paper on the product pack thats it! They take utmost care ensuring the paper invoice is properly tapped into a brown paper but the main item been ignored.
When I asked they said thats how the sellers ship and not amazon. I didn't bothered as far as the item inside is mint

And recently I placed an order for some petty stuff and they arrived in bullet proof boxes! Its like shipping a Maruti inside a container while hand delivering a Bugatti.

Last heard they are going green and reducing waste etc. and hence no more boxes.
They're going green penny pinching.

FTFY.
I don't care if it's like, a mop or something that they ship in product packaging. I don't need to hide from the neighbours i bought a mop. But expensive, sensitive stuff like motherboards and electronics? EFf right off with your bean counting, penny pinching shit. It's just another reason to avoid Amazon for those kinda orders.

They're going green penny pinching.
But expensive, sensitive stuff like motherboards and electronics? EFf right off with your bean counting, penny pinching shit. It's just another reason to avoid Amazon for those kinda orders.
Exactly, this is corporate greed, nothing to do with protecting the environment.

Compare this to a physical store, where they offer to open the package and check for damage or bent pins, and will provide a replacement right away. Now that's customer satisfaction!

Meanwhile Amazon tries to find new ways of screwing the customer, with stuff like Non Returnable, Service Centre replacement only, etc.

It could be corporate greed — or an ill-thought out idea by some recently promoted employee who wanted to show better numbers than his predecessor.

If you've worked in Indian IT, then you're probably familiar with office politics. That same drama is everywhere, where individualistic ideas serve to inflate someone's sense of importance rather than what's actually useful/helpful for the company/customer.

If it is that, then it's only a short term goal by whoever came up with the idea. One or two quarters of reports would show the increased number of returns/complaints and then one or two more quarters later they'll probably revert this decision.

Amazon is wiling to lose money on this though, they've shown that in the past. If enough orders make it through without damages, they'll probably chalk up the issues as anomalies.

Compare this to a physical store, where they offer to open the package and check for damage or bent pins, and will provide a replacement right away.
Which city/stores are those? In Nehru place Delhi at least, many big shops will take payment first & then only deliver/open the box on counter.

Cheap adapters are cheap and finicky, and fail often. I did buy an x4 unit, which turned out to be limited to PCIe 2.0 and a total scam. x1 slots are same as SATA speed, which isn't horrible but I'd still like to get what I paid for.
Adapters may become finicky, and you can never have enough fast storage :playful:
pcie 4.0 x1 speed is 2GB/s which is more than enough for any typical task for a typical user incl gamers. You are not going to see more than that speed anyway outside of real world scenario of sequential data transfer of large sized files between two such similar NVMe drives. I am using a typical 600 rupees pcie 4.0 x1 nvme adapter (verilux brand) for more than a year with zero issues after ironically the same ssd was having issues once a month in my mobo's NVMe slot.

Which city/stores are those? In Nehru place Delhi at least, many big shops will take payment first & then only deliver/open the box on counter
Oh I meant after payment only. Pretty much every shop in SP Road, Bangalore should offer this.

I've even returned one of four single RAM sticks purchased there, since one was from a different batch and wasn't playing nice with the other three. But generally speaking, you can't unbox and return for no reason.

Az is not only more expensive, but lacks basic goodwill when it comes to PC parts.

Back