Graphic Cards AMD Catalyst & nVidia Forceware driver updates

Re: Recently released ATi Catalyst & nVidia Forceware drivers

asingh said:
^^

Really difficult to say which version is currently optimized. It is make or break these days for ATI. It also highly depends on the game and the GPU version (4xxx or 5xxx) and multi GPU sub system some one is running.

Regarding GPU acceleration. I think 10.7 onwards you can accelerate on VLC. Though I am able to manage it using 10.4a on MPC. If you really want to accelerate HD content on the GPU give MPC a try. It is quite easy.
ya i know hardware acceleration is available for MPC but some files (mainly upscaled hindi rips) look better on vlc(second to cyberlink Power DVD). so wanted if overall 10.8 is stable and better tweaked :S

^^

Gaming wise no. Not read any negative about for HD content acceleration. Give it a try if you want.

Tried 10.8.
Gameplay was choppy more than 10.7. So uninstalled it.
Was trying to revert to 10.4 but after reboot the screen became grainy and unresponsive. So uninstalled that and installed 10.5 but in the info dialog the driver version was shown as 10.6 . So do i need to completely format the drive or as some of them had mentioned remove the drivers by some other software?

Well the latest Radeon drivers are out along with the CrossFireX Application profiles. Apparently a hotfix is also out. Again nothing great for the HD48xx users, but HD5xxx users can expect performance boost, specially in SC2. BC2 still remains broken.

Links are below.

10.9a official

CrossFireX Application profiles

10.9a Hotfix

Also 10.9a onwards, Radeon drivers can be updated via STEAM too.

^^^I've installed catalyst 10.10...Very stable driver and I'm seeing slight performance improvements in lots of games,just like AMD promised.Haven't tried the hotfix version AFAIK it only adds Morphological anti-aliasing and some performance improvements for HD 6000 series.

Another happy user with 10.10 (APP/OCL) drivers. Not sure how much game improvement I'm getting as my current installed games are very few, but overall the drivers are very stable. Did notice slight improvement in Mirror's Edge, although it's few frames extra only. Same with 2D performance, no improvements since past few drivers, but it's staying in the house of 1600 points in Tom's 2D bench (can't believe my 5770 still can't beat my 3870 in 2D performance).

Suggest me a stable driver version for XFX Nvidia 8500GT. Need to clean install a cousin's PC and so want to install the latest stable driver for this card.

^^

I guess you can start with the latest Forceware available for that series. Else let me know, will research out the next best for you. Best of luck..!

asingh said:
^^
I guess you can start with the latest Forceware available for that series. Else let me know, will research out the next best for you. Best of luck..!
Thanks. will do some searching and post back if i am unable to find suitable one. So the latest driver 260.99 WHQL seems to support 8500GT.

8500gt Windows 7 x86 Startup Hangs - NVIDIA Forums

But the 260.89/260.99 drivers has some issues with 8500GT. 8xxx series owners, can someone suggest me a stable driver version for this series?

Radeon Drivers 10.12

ATI Page Download link

Again nothing great here. New skin. Working good for HD5xxx users and above for CoD:BO.

Release notes:

Highlights of the AMD Catalystâ„¢ 10.12 Windows release includes:

New Features:

* Support for DivX on the AMD Radeon 6800 Series

o With DivX® software installed on an AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 Series and later GPU and the DivX Accelerated™ solution, consumers can enjoy an improved DivX video playback experience by lowering CPU load, extending computer battery life on notebooks, reducing noise on home theater PCs and improving overall computer operation.

o Grab the DivX Accelerated download from here (will be available Dec 15) DivX Accelerated | DivX.com

* Support for OpenGL 4.1

o New features introduced in OpenGL 4.1

o Full compatibility with OpenGL ES 2.0 APIs for easier porting between mobile and desktop platforms

o The ability to query and load a binary for shader program objects to save re-compilation time

o The capability to bind programs individually to programmable stages for programming flexibility

o 64-bit floating-point component vertex shader inputs for higher geometric precision

o Multiple viewports for a rendering surface for increased rendering flexibility

o New ARB extensions introduced with OpenGL 4.1

o Linking OpenGL sync objects to OpenCL event objects for enhanced OpenCL interoperability

o The ability to set stencil values in a fragment shader for enhanced rendering flexibility

o Features to improve robustness, for example when running WebGL applications

o Callback mechanisms to receive enhanced errors and warning messages

* AMD Stream 2.3 SDK release

o Performance improvements for AMD’s OpenCL toolset

o Support UVD video hardware component through OpenCL driver (Windows 7 only)

o Support for the Stream Profiler on Linux (command line version)

o Support added for AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series and AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

o Support for FFT and BLAS-3 libraries

o Stream Profiler enhancements (including timeline visualization)

o Resolves a number of bug fixes from the Stream SDK 2.2 release

catalyst 10.12 gave me a bsod today... the very first bsod on my computer :D

can someone comment should i wait and watch a few days or should i just downgrade to 10.10 or 10.11??

If Catalyst 10.12 isn't working properly for you, stick to 10.10e... 10.10e are absolutely brilliant drivers, not only 10.11 add nothing new to table, they are step back from 10.10e. 10.12 drivers are actual successor to 10.10e.

Otherwise you can try downloading Catalyst 10.12a Hotfix drivers or try out Catalyst 10.12 APP (OCL) drivers. I've been using 10.12 APP (OCL) drivers and haven't had any problem so far. Although I upgraded to 10.12a hotfix today just to check out.

I don't like the new Catalyst Control Center. In fact, I HATE it. It's designed using two extreme experiences, Basic and Advanced. You get only either of it, unlike the current CCC, where you can easily access basic settings with previews or you have option to go in "All Settings" tab and tinker everything at your hearts content. I like it cause for some settings I don't really need to go in Advanced/All Settings mode and for some I do. Now, either you get cumbersome-multi-click-drill-down basic menus or you get complete advanced control.

I reverted back to original Catalyst Control Center for now and sticking to it till the new Catalyst becomes mandatory.

Back