Graphic Cards AMD Catalyst & nVidia Forceware driver updates

Re: Recently released ATi Catalyst & nVidia Forceware drivers

Desecrator said:
Damn, when is the Catalyst 10.7 releasing? :mad:

It has an update for VLC to do GPU decoding.
Would be a treat if this is incorporated. But we need a stable driver. It seems every 3rd-4th Radeon driver is decent, middle builds are totally cr$$.

wOOt here comes Catalyst 10.7! :eek:hyeah:

GPU decoding through VLC 1.1.1 now possible! :D

Peeps please install and post back the results. :p

ATI said:
New Windows Features

Highlights of the ATI CatalystTM 10.7 release for Microsoft Windows include:

ATI Eyefinity Technology - Enhancements for HydraVisionTM

Maximizing a window across multiple displays will now take user defined bezel compensation into account

Automatically adjusts window position when dragging and dropping windows to ensure title bar visibility

Proper dialog box placement - dialogs do not cross displays, are not hidden behind bezels, and can be designated to be shown on the users “preferred” display

Enhanced Pull-down detection

The Pull-down detection algorithm has been enhanced for higher visual quality on certain types of video content

Supported on the ATI RadeonTM HD 5000 Series of GPUs

ATI CrossFireXTM technology - support for rotated displays

This release of ATI CatalystTM enables end users running supported ATI CrossFireXTM configurations to rotate their displays (single or ATI Eyefinity display configurations) and still enjoy the performance benefits of ATI CrossFireXTM technology

ATI RadeonTM GPU acceleration of VLC 1.1.1 Media Player

Enables GPU acceleration of h.264 video content when using the VLC 1.1.1 Media Player - enabling a better user experience by consuming less system resources

Supported on the ATI RadeonTM HD 5000 and ATI RadeonTM HD 4000 Series of GPU products

Requires VLC version 1.1.1 and later

Highlights of the ATI CatalystTM driver for Linux 10.7 release include:

Support for new Linux operating systems

This release of ATI CatalystTM driver for Linux introduces support for the following new operating systems:

- Ubuntu 10.04 production support

ATI Eyefinity support

ATI CatalystTM driver for Linux 10.7 provides support for ATI Eyefinity technology under all supported Linux distributions

Just tried out the 10.7 driver.Gpu decoding in 10.7 drivers works.Tried this with my onboard graphics[hd 4200] and with my HD 4770,both work nicely.

Driver is stable and decent for single cards. Totally broken for Xfire.

no driver since 10.3 works for my card,dont know why,it just does not detect my card,had to do a system restore again :(

10.7 doesn't work? :S

There seems to be some problem otherwise.

Does work for me, dunno why not for u, im on 10.7 now, but only 2 more days :p

Best and stable are 10.4 and 10.7(10.4 better), and since there isn't really performance improvements, u can stick to 10.4. Home 10.8 succeeds this one.

The 10.8s are out along with the respective profiles.

Too scared to try 'em or recommend them. Totally broken for the HD4xxx series (apparently ATI has forgotten this legacy refresh). AA/AF are still not great for SC 2, broken in Kane and Lynch. BC2 issue are prevalent.

Basically XfireX users are howling and HD48xx users are screaming. Sad. HD5xxx users will see benefits, but broken AA/AF -- even if forced using CCC. Best.

^ Yeah... downloading 10.8... will post how it goes, although my game library is pretty limited and includes barely any latest games.

BSOD on rebooting the PC after installing the 10.8 drivers. Mass Effect 2 runs choppy. Havent tried Bad Company 2 yet. Am reverting back to 10.5s. Most stable driver for my 4850.
I wouldnt mind Ati taking more time in releasing new drivers but atleast make something that works. Any new driver that promises to fix some issue,screws up something that was previously working fine. And it's a good thing I am not on Crossfire setup. You guys are completely :cens2:

A new set of Application Profiles have been released -- 10.8a. Most benefiting for dual GPUs, but singular users can try them out too. Optimization and further fixes (still..??) for AVP2 and BC2.

Link to HardOCP review and CAP 10.8a.

Also an interesting read. It is closer than we think....! Read on.

Is 10.8 better optimized than 10.7. On 10.7 games like split second were playing choppy with explosions around.
Never happened like this on previous versions. So reverted back to 10.6
Mostly want the newer drivers for gpu acceleration for vlc. :s

^^

Really difficult to say which version is currently optimized. It is make or break these days for ATI. It also highly depends on the game and the GPU version (4xxx or 5xxx) and multi GPU sub system some one is running.

Regarding GPU acceleration. I think 10.7 onwards you can accelerate on VLC. Though I am able to manage it using 10.4a on MPC. If you really want to accelerate HD content on the GPU give MPC a try. It is quite easy.

Back