AMD Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) processors Official launch | Where Gaming begins. (October 8, 9:30 PM)

Ryzen 7 5700G review is up as well. As expected, it is another dud for most of us. iGPU performance is roughly 0-7% higher compared to a Ryzen 5 5600G (8 vs 7 CUs). Productivity wise it fares better than the 5600G which was roughly on par with a 3600. 5700G however is mostly faster than a 3700X & but nowhere close to a 5800X & is basically on par with Intel 8 core parts. In gaming with a discrete GPU it roughly matches a 11400 whereas the 5600G was slightly slower than that.

Overall as stated before, for folks interested in gaming with a discrete GPU, both these parts are not at all exciting & you are better off with a 11400/F, specially if you are building a new system for gaming right now. Although folks in need of a relatively powerful CPU with an inbuilt GPU & for those who want to do some light gaming, 5700G & 5600G are respectively very compelling products.

Source:

There is talk of an XT refresh of the AM4 line on the 5xxx series but nothing has been confirmed as yet AFAIK. AM5 will require a new socket, that is guaranteed.

You can go in for a premium X570 motherboard if your work requires it. Or else if your planning to hold onto your AM4 build for the next 5 years. But if you are going for an X570, there is a X570S line of boards coming out next month. They are going to have better VRM's and features and will probably be more expensive than the current X570's by a bit. These are going to be fanless boards though so no fan on the chipset like the B550.

Personally, what I would suggest and what I am going to be doing most probably is go for a medium high end board with a 5900 next month and then wait for a few years for the AM5, DDR5 and PCIE5 to mature before upgrading my system again. Hopefully by then the silicon shortage would have ended and the mining boom would make it easier to get a top tier graphics card.

Just my 2c

if you want to go for am4 ,than make sure you get at least 8c upwards ,no point of getting 6 cores , the next gen am5 is more or less with Big little concept ,few power full cores supported by little cores

These days it is smart to get an 8-core but the price of 5800X is making me think a lot. Having them extra cores is nice but 5800X doesn't really offer anything over 5600X in a lot of games. If only the pricing was a little more competitive. Intel has 10th Gen 10-core processors that are cheaper than 5800X.
But I expect Zen 3 cores to age well and last a long time so a 5600X should be good for the next 4 years minimum. With a 5800X I might be set for the next 5+ years and possibly even longer with a 5900X lol.

Last edited:
another thing about this processor is cooling it needs; you need the best to handle it because of the nature of the design this chip has; Check Reddit or OC.net.

Its overall good chip but will open up a separate project for cooling only and once it is done - it will be beast.

On side note, anyone here would like to comment on Threadripper. if it can be made available as slice of its processing power (through VM), it could make the perfect beast for all round performance.

There is talk of an XT refresh of the AM4 line on the 5xxx series but nothing has been confirmed as yet AFAIK. AM5 will require a new socket, that is guaranteed.

You can go in for a premium X570 motherboard if your work requires it. Or else if your planning to hold onto your AM4 build for the next 5 years. But if you are going for an X570, there is a X570S line of boards coming out next month. They are going to have better VRM's and features and will probably be more expensive than the current X570's by a bit. These are going to be fanless boards though so no fan on the chipset like the B550.

Personally, what I would suggest and what I am going to be doing most probably is go for a medium high end board with a 5900 next month and then wait for a few years for the AM5, DDR5 and PCIE5 to mature before upgrading my system again. Hopefully by then the silicon shortage would have ended and the mining boom would make it easier to get a top tier graphics card.

Just my 2c
A X570S line for an outgoing platform? Weird! If this means a reduction in existing X570 boards then I'm all in for it but I doubt that'll happen given the current scenario.

I'm also thinking getting a B550 board might just be the better option at this point. Fortunately I don't require any of the X570 features per se especially when B550 boards have closed the gap quite a bit now.
if you want to go for am4 ,than make sure you get at least 8c upwards ,no point of getting 6 cores , the next gen am5 is more or less with Big little concept ,few power full cores supported by little cores
Hmm why do you say that? Aren't the 6 cores powerful enough to throw anything at them for now or the near future? Especially for gaming.

A X570S line for an outgoing platform? Weird! If this means a reduction in existing X570 boards then I'm all in for it but I doubt that'll happen given the current scenario.

I'm also thinking getting a B550 board might just be the better option at this point. Fortunately I don't require any of the X570 features per se especially when B550 boards have closed the gap quite a bit now.
A B550 board will suffice for nearly 90% of the people looking for a new board. The use cases where an X570 or the upcoming X570S makes sense is so niche that one might as well not bother. Either that or another use case is street cred. Just keep an eye out on the VRM's and you can go for any of the B550's on the market. With the AM5, nearly everything is going to change PCIE5, DDR5 so it makes no sense in investing in a super expensive board just for a nearly dead line of processors. Might as well pick up a decent board and chip, coast on for the next 3-4 years and then look at an upgrade if required, Though I agree with @roofrider 's last post about having a 5800 and above would suffice for the next 5 years or so. Unless something dramatically changes.

Also with the upcoming Am5 / Alder Lake and above, I am hearing a upgrade to W11 would be needed to handle the new processor type and other hardware upgrades. Heard about it on some You Tube Tech Channel, can't recall which one off hand. Considering how (un)stable Win10 was at launch and during the early years, one might even put off W11 upgrade for a year or so or until Service Pack 1 come's out.

Hmm why do you say that? Aren't the 6 cores powerful enough to throw anything at them for now or the near future? Especially for gaming.

Primarily because you need to have some processor cores/ threads available for any background tasks that you have running on your pc. A lot of AAA games end up being a hog in terms of resources required. A 6 core is powerful enough but for a better user experience, look at 8 cores and above AFAIK.

You're correct. There's no point in spending for X570 board if you're not going to make use of PCI-E 4.0. B550 is more than enough for most of the Ryzen buyers.

PCI-E 4.0 is available on B550 as well. It only lacks some additional lanes for extended IO use cases AFAIK.
Yes, that's what I meant. X570 is only for niche use cases.
AMD was cunning with MoBo launches. They took almost year to launch 'mid-range' and entry level boards.

Yes, that's what I meant. X570 is only for niche use cases.
AMD was cunning with MoBo launches. They took almost year to launch 'mid-range' and entry level boards.
Just like how they're still holding off on non x processors. :(

I guess now we just have to hope Intel to cater to the budget focussed customers until they come on top again after which the roles will get reversed again!

I have a funny feeling in my bones that AMD is getting a refresh on its 5xxx series of processors just around the time Alder Lake launches. Maybe it will have the non X series and/ or the XT series. But they are definitely going to keep the pressure on Intel. Thats probably the only reason companies are coming out with the X570S boards. Especially in the July/ August time.

Isn't the 3D cache tech confirmed to be released by the end of this year? Perhaps it will be numbered like 5900XT or whatever?

This is all just speculation right now. The only thing confirmed for now is 5600/5700G launch in August as well as some variants of Zen 3 with 3D cache by the end of this year or starting next year. Now whether that would be Zen 3+ or not is totally unknown at this point. Regarding availability of non x parts, I don't think they are coming any time soon & this is based upon two things:
  1. AMD is after higher margin parts right now due to limited production capacity & higher demand. Their 7nm yields also seem to be very good, due to the maturity of TSMC 7mn process as well as their chiplet approach, which is why there are not many lower quality chips to make up the non x parts. If there was, AMD would have launched that line by now. If AMD does get threatened by Intel in the future they will simply lower the prices of these chips, they have already milked these parts with high margins till now.
  2. Despite having good competition from Intel 11th gen i5 parts, which are very good value right now compared to anything AMD has in sub $250 price point, AMD is planning launching anything to counter it. This just confirms the first point.
My prediction, I think AMD will launch the Zen 3/+(7nm & not 6nm as per me, no point in moving to a new node just for one launch when Zen 4 would most probably be 5nm) parts with 3D cache on AM4 platform by end of this year, with actual availability in first quarter of 2022. This will be accompanied by a price cut in the current Zen 3 parts. Both of these combined should be enough to counter anything that Intel has to offer at that point of time. Zen 4 will launch with AM5 platform by the end of next year & not before that. Intel Alder lake chips would support both DDR4 & DDR5 in the first iteration, so AMD will not be in any hurry to catch on the DDR5 bandwagon.

If Alder Lake is competitive wouldn't it make sense for AMD to release XT versions rather than non-X versions? Depends on how Alder Lake is priced maybe. But XT versions aren't really good value at launch prices I believe. 3D Cache is probably AMD's secret weapon against Intel's release, but yeah no idea if it'll spill down to 6/8 core parts. Even if it does, doubt it will be competitively priced since AMD is essentially trying to prove that they offer superior performance over Intel and that's why they command a higher price now. Will be surprising if we see any other Zen 3 chip this year, no clear signs indicate this. 3D Cache is going to out early next year unless something changed from the last time I checked.

If Alder Lake is competitive wouldn't it make sense for AMD to release XT versions rather than non-X versions? Depends on how Alder Lake is priced maybe. But XT versions aren't really good value at launch prices I believe. 3D Cache is probably AMD's secret weapon against Intel's release, but yeah no idea if it'll spill down to 6/8 core parts. Even if it does, doubt it will be competitively priced since AMD is essentially trying to prove that they offer superior performance over Intel and that's why they command a higher price now. Will be surprising if we see any other Zen 3 chip this year, no clear signs indicate this. 3D Cache is going to out early next year unless something changed from the last time I checked.
If Intel have a strong budget offering then it might provoke AMD to reveal the non x versions! Fingers crossed.

Just like how they're still holding off on non x processors. :(
Oh long how I've waited. I don't think it's going to come anytime soon.
I'm looking for ways to import the i5 11400f. I want to get it before the pricing situation gets worse. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, sure but I'm not seeing it.
If Intel have a strong budget offering then it might provoke AMD to reveal the non x versions! Fingers crossed.
You don't think the 11400f is good enough? The 10th gen and 11th gen i5's are slaying the Ryzen 5 3600/5600X in international markets. That's how good and vfm they are.

Back