Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metalspree said:
Dont use advanced task killer as it is the culprit and eats all the memory ,go to market and get task manager .It has a widget as well which shows how much memory is remaining .Its by rythm software.Its an awesome app way far better than stupid advanced task manager.
Thank you for this info, I had a weird problem with adv task killer, every time I open a game and then kill it, the memory reduces to whatever it was earlier minus 5,

for eg before playing a game, its about 150, I play the game, kill it, the memory reduces to 145, and the next time to 140 and then 135 and so on, I really don't understand what happens to the RAM or is the software actually messing up the amount of free RAM.

Got the Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S for T mobile USA) a couple of days back and its a stunning phone! The display is just awesome you have to see it to believe it!

I bought the Wildfire like 2-3 weeks ago and still haven't found enough time to fiddle around..so suggest me some apps that I could try out.

I've only installed a couple of basic apps like Rockplayer, Advanced Task Killer, AK notepad, ASTRO file manager, Handcent SMS, Opera and some stupid soccer game... but I'm sure there are many more good and important ones that are around on the market... so I'd like to try out some of those..

red_devil said:
I bought the Wildfire like 2-3 weeks ago and still haven't found enough time to fiddle around..so suggest me some apps that I could try out.

I've only installed a couple of basic apps like Rockplayer, Advanced Task Killer, AK notepad, ASTRO file manager, Handcent SMS, Opera and some stupid soccer game... but I'm sure there are many more good and important ones that are around on the market... so I'd like to try out some of those..
appbrain.com

awesome site to find great apps. also check 101 Best Android Apps

^^ I have used my Galaxy S initially without a Task Manager and later for a couple of weeks with a Task manager as well and I have to say that it does make a difference. It is true that Android does not need a Task manager as it can automatically manage the tasks, but the problem is that by default it allows too much RAM to be used by apps before it starts killing processes and retrieve RAM and if the RAM falls too low it seems to drastically affect the performance. For instance my Galaxy S ceases to be responsive when the free RAM goes below 70MB and barely usable when it goes near the 50MB Mark. This is where the Task Manager comes into the picture. You can manually kill apps and get back some memory so that the Free RAM stays above the level where your phone operates responsively.

So essentially Android does not need a Memory Manager, but the default thresholds used by the OS are not good enough. Currently I don't use a Task Manager at all and don't have any problems regardless of how heavily I use the apps on the phone. What I did was to install an app called Auto Killer (Name is misleading. It does not kill tasks at all). What this tool does is to allow the user to change the default OS thresholds to more reasonable values. (It has presets to quickly change the values). This app requires the phone to be rooted and you need to run the app only once and change the thresholds and reboot the phone. After that you don't need to use a task manager (nor Auto Killer) at all. The inbuilt manager automatically does a great job with the new thresholds.

pinga123 said:
Suggest me a android phone with divx support,5mp ,wify within 15000 bucks.
if you are okay with tiny screen and old OS, check X10 mini. But I would suggest you to try out Samsung Wave and Nokia C6 and X6.

Found an awesome app to use PC Kyeboard on Android via wifi .Not sure whether this has been posted or not .

Share Keyboard Free

Install the app--> go to KB settings enable it -->open messaging app and select share keyboard as input method --->at the bottom it will display the http://address -->punch it in browser and start using PC keyboard with android .

Make sure Firewall allows the connection.

Which android with qwerty should be preferred ? HTC Desire Z versus Motorola Milestone 2 ? I found Motorola to be the choice in theory as it is smaller in size, thinner and has a faster CPU. May as well discuss this in MM2 thread.

hi guys, is galaxy 3 plays only MP4 format. because i am not able to play avi files through existing video player, is there any other player .

hi here are some Android codes i got form some web site :)

DISCLAIMER: This information is intended for experienced users. It is not intended for basic users, hackers, or mobile thieves. Please do not try any of following methods if you are not familiar with mobile phones. We'll not be responsible for the use or misuse of this information, including loss of data or hardware damage. So use it at your own risk.

*#*#4636#*#*

This code can be used to get some interesting information about your phone and battery. It shows following 4 menus on screen:

* Phone information

* Battery information

* Battery history

* Usage statistics

*#*#7780#*#*

This code can be used for a factory data reset. It'll remove following things:

* Google account settings stored in your phone

* System and application data and settings

* Downloaded applications

It'll NOT remove:

* Current system software and bundled applications

* SD card files e.g. photos, music files, etc.

PS: Once you give this code, you get a prompt screen asking you to click on "Reset phone" button. So you get a chance to cancel your operation.

*2767*3855#

Think before you give this code. This code is used for factory format. It'll remove all files and settings including the internal memory storage. It'll also reinstall the phone firmware.

PS: Once you give this code, there is no way to cancel the operation unless you remove the battery from the phone. So think twice before giving this code.

*#*#34971539#*#*

This code is used to get information about phone camera. It shows following 4 menus:

* Update camera firmware in image (Don't try this option)

* Update camera firmware in SD card

* Get camera firmware version

* Get firmware update count

WARNING: Never use the first option otherwise your phone camera will stop working and you'll need to take your phone to service center to reinstall camera firmware.

*#*#7594#*#*

This one is favorite one. This code can be used to change the "End Call / Power" button action in your phone. Be default, if you long press the button, it shows a screen asking you to select any option from Silent mode, Airplane mode and Power off.

You can change this action using this code. You can enable direct power off on this button so you don't need to waste your time in selecting the option.

*#*#273283*255*663282*#*#*

This code opens a File copy screen where you can backup your media files e.g. Images, Sound, Video and Voice memo.

*#*#197328640#*#*

This code can be used to enter into Service mode. You can run various tests and change settings in the service mode.

WLAN, GPS and Bluetooth Test Codes:

*#*#232339#*#* OR *#*#526#*#* OR *#*#528#*#* - WLAN test (Use "Menu" button to start various tests)

*#*#232338#*#* - Shows WiFi MAC address

*#*#1472365#*#* - GPS test

*#*#1575#*#* - Another GPS test

*#*#232331#*#* - Bluetooth test

*#*#232337#*# - Shows Bluetooth device address

*#*#8255#*#*

This code can be used to launch GTalk Service Monitor.

Codes to get Firmware version information:

*#*#4986*2650468#*#* - PDA, Phone, H/W, RFCallDate

*#*#1234#*#* - PDA and Phone

*#*#1111#*#* - FTA SW Version

*#*#2222#*#* - FTA HW Version

*#*#44336#*#* - PDA, Phone, CSC, Build Time, Changelist number

Codes to launch various Factory Tests:

*#*#0283#*#* - Packet Loopback

*#*#0*#*#* - LCD test

*#*#0673#*#* OR *#*#0289#*#* - Melody test

*#*#0842#*#* - Device test (Vibration test and BackLight test)

*#*#2663#*#* - Touch screen version

*#*#2664#*#* - Touch screen test

*#*#0588#*#* - Proximity sensor test

*#*#3264#*#* - RAM version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back