Anybody experienced 5G network?

What I found amusing was that Jio mentioned that their network is SA, but also said that it will work with existing SIM cards, which is technically not possible. They have implemented a combo core, so the network will be using the 4G network control signaling (aka NSA) till they start issuing dedicated 5G SIM cards.

Also, I read somewhere that the minimum launch speed has been set at 100 Mbps (which will reduce with users), so 5G will be as ridiculous as 4G LTE was in India.
The thing is if 5g is going to be cheap like 4g was made then forget the advertised speeds or any benefits that can be derived from it.

What I found amusing was that Jio mentioned that their network is SA, but also said that it will work with existing SIM cards, which is technically not possible. They have implemented a combo core, so the network will be using the 4G network control signaling (aka NSA) till they start issuing dedicated 5G SIM cards.

Also, I read somewhere that the minimum launch speed has been set at 100 Mbps (which will reduce with users), so 5G will be as ridiculous as 4G LTE was in India.
I did raise this point earlier :)

I tested the Airtel 5G today at their Global NOC and it was max 40Mbps at certain point in office otherwise it was 10-15Mbps max.
I tested the Airtel 5G today at their Global NOC and it was max 40Mbps at certain point in office otherwise it was 10-15Mbps max.
I still want to test it some more at multiple locations in office.....maybe next week.
Will keep posted everyone here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-06-20-08-59-45_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-06-20-08-59-45_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Received message from Airtel about their 5G+ network. It has a section in airtel thanks app. Clicking on it and it asks you to download airtel thanks app. :banghead:

5G+ means its non stand alone. Whatever happened to all the hoopla about stand alone 5G?

First it was supposed to be launched on 15th Aug.
Then they said it'll start functioning by Aug end.
Then they said 5G used here is designed in India.
Then they said 5G will use 4G infra as a back bone.
Then they said it won't need any sim change.
Then they said 5G will be launched on Oct 1st.
Then they said some 8 cities will start 5G from Oct 1st itself.
Then they said 5G is going to bestest in the world.
Then they said 5G will be standalone.
Then they said you'll need to change the SIM card.
Then they said 5G will use 4G infa as a back bone...

The train continues...

I'm going to read Rakhi Sawant Tweets for some sanity.

Last edited:
Received message from Airtel about their 5G+ network. It has a section in airtel thanks app. Clicking on it and it asks you to download airtel thanks app. :banghead:

5G+ means its non stand alone. Whatever happened to all the hoopla about stand alone 5G?

They they said 5G will use 4G infa as a back bone...

The train continues...

What i got was 5G not 5G+ but i guess due to number of users at that location speed was not what it should be. Also it was showing 5G inside the building only not outside.

What i got was 5G not 5G+ but i guess due to number of users at that location speed was not what it should be. Also it was showing 5G inside the building only not outside.
Whichever you got, the mobile is still going to show you 5G. It's not programmed to show 5G+, I guess.

I think in US, AT&T also did 'non-stand alone' 5G but then they had to reprogram the handsets to show 5G+.

Also it was showing 5G inside the building only not outside.
That's odd. I'd have expected the opposite. 4G inside and 5G outside because 5G does not penetrate indoors as well. Is that it ?

The way to verify 4G/5G is if you can figure out what frequency it is on. On Samsung phones, there is a service screen that shows that info with some dial code.

Other phones will require a separate app.

Mention the band number it displays under the signals tab. better still post a screenshot with the info.

Last edited:

Then they said 5G will use 4G infa as a back bone...

The train continues...

Sounds like Airtel 5G might just be a scam to raise tarriffs. They will club 4G/5G plans and raise the tarriffs in the name of 5G. 1% of the users who have a 5G phone and live near 5G towers will enjoy while the 99% just cope with higher bills for the same old 2mbps LTE signal .

Whichever you got, the mobile is still going to show you 5G. It's not programmed to show 5G+, I guess.

I think in US, AT&T also did 'non-stand alone' 5G but then they had to reprogram the handsets to show 5G+.
AT&T displayed 5G E in the status bar. 5g E is to 5G what 4G LTE was to 4G i.e. an evolution of the previous standard that has nothing to do with the newer standard.

Note that 5G E didn't exist and was invented by AT&T for marketing, the phone just displayed the icon used by AT&T for their 4G network.

Only way to check is to go to mobile network settings and toggle between 4G/5G and see which icon is displayed.

Received message from Airtel about their 5G+ network. It has a section in airtel thanks app.
Their app is quite helpful as it lists which phones have it, do not and are yet to get the necessary software update from the manufacturer.

My S20FE 5G falls into the last category :depressed:
But i'm not sure my phone is supporting the band used by Airtel.
Which phone do you have ?

Last edited:
Their app is quite helpful as it lists which phones have it, do not and are yet to get the necessary software update from the manufacturer.

My S20FE 5G falls into the last category :depressed:

Which phone do you have ?
In delhi ncr it supports the airtel band which is 3300Mhz....but haven't been able to get the speed....might check again next week.

Back