Anybody experienced 5G network?

Airtel 5G. Chennai.
Screenshot_2022-10-15-21-40-47-173_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Wouldn't wifi calling be a better option in such cases than moving around the house to maintain a call?
Definitely but then I don't have a record of what was said. Usually its not important but at times it can be.
Wifi calling is twitchy, with both Jio and Airtel.
I usually use it with landline wifi and its fine. Never used it on mobile data.
Can you try the LTE app and tell us which band airtel is using for 5G in Chennai

Which phone do you have btw ?

Last edited:
Samsung m53 5g
You will have to wait for 5G unlock update from Samsung. They must be having some timeline as to by when they would be pushing this update.
Don't count me on this because I am assuming Samsung would probably do the same like what Apple, Pixel, Motorola is doing i.e. a timeline based update. Rest, you will need to check their website for the time period.

You will have to wait for 5G unlock update from Samsung. They must be having some timeline as to by when they would be pushing this update.
Don't count me on this because I am assuming Samsung would probably do the same like what Apple, Pixel, Motorola is doing i.e. a timeline based update. Rest, you will need to check their website for the time period.
M53 5g is already showing on Airtel' s list as ready to go.
...today I stepped out. No 5G logo.

M53 5g is already showing on Airtel' s list as ready to go.
...today I stepped out. No 5G logo.
Maybe the nearby tower has not been upgraded to 5G??
Either ways, as mentioned by Tintin, give the telcos some time. I would say ~6 months as with time more areas will get covered.

Given how this rollout has began, one thing is very much clear. Neither the telcos, not the phone manufacturers were prepared for this launch and roll out. The lack of communication between them was clearly visible and Modi had to personally intervene to fast track this launch.

Here it is. Phone is Mi11x.
Cool. The app shows the 5G is NSA. And that explains how mobile is using VoLTE despite being on 5G.

I wonder what's voice over 5G called? And do current 5G mobiles support that?

I remember,
first generation 4G mobiles never supported VoLTE.
first 2 generations 4G mobiles never supported VoWiFi and 4G+ aggregation.

VoLTE is a very crucial part of 4G. For me, it was more important than the speed benefit that 4G brought. It meant one could still use the internet while still on the call.

Here it is. Phone is Mi11x
Very good

Your 5G is on band B3 which is 1,800 Mhz. Airtel is using B3 for 5G :wideyed: Oh Happy days :happy:

Course, nothing like a 3-digit frequency but can't have that just yet.

Your 4G is on band B40 which is the regular 2,300 Mhz

You will get better signal strength indoors on 5G than 4G, which means faster speed if available. Even if it isn't you get better penetration on B3 than on B40.

Now, using a lower frequency should translate into battery savings but due to the NSA the phone has to switch between two frequencies instead of sticking to just one.

So the battery will go down faster if you use voice on 5G compared to VoLTE on 4G otherwise just data on 5G will be better than 4G.

Why don't you test it? Record the battery % at the start, then leave the phone alone for at least 6 hours on 5G and how much battery went down. No touching.

Do the same with the phone on 4G only.

What is the difference? without voice, I think 5G will do better. But with voice 4G will be more efficient.
Cool. The app shows the 5G is NSA. And that explains how mobile is using VoLTE despite being on 5G.
There is a fallback to 4G for voice, now that 4G can support voice as they used to fallback to 3G when 4G came out.

I anticipate a battery hit due to NSA with voice on 5G but not with 4G provided itis VoLTE which most phones from the last 3-4 years are these days.

I remember,
first generation 4G mobiles never supported VoLTE.
first 2 generations 4G mobiles never supported VoWiFi and 4G+ aggregation.
I guess something similar will happen with 5G
VoLTE is a very crucial part of 4G. For me, it was more important than the speed benefit that 4G brought. It meant one could still use the internet while still on the call.
Did you notice an improvement in voice quality with VoLTE compared to say 2G?

I could not detect any. Same field radio quality.
Will be testing Airtel 5G extensively from Tuesday onwards
Can you do a screen shot of LTE discovery for your airtel in Delhi ?

Last edited:
Back