Video Anyone used 'Android on Stick' to convert normal LCD TV to Smart TV ?

raksrules

Elite
I was checking engadget and found about a small USB pen drive sized mini computer sort of which runs android and can be connected to a TV with HDMI port. The small android stick connects to internet through wifi and can in some cases out 1080p video too. It is essentially for people like most of us who might be owning a LCD TV but it is not a smart TV / Google TV.
Anyone have any experience with any such device ?
Lots of these are available for 50-150$ on aliexpress (chinese) website.

Even I was thinking of getting it. I did read somewhere that it hasn't got android market of any sorts. I'm not sure whether you can install apk's.
But in the video below, I did see google play in the players interface.

Also many of them advised against it citing the lack of codec support compared to regular media players. But for my usage I find it perfect. Still waiting for a direct user input to go ahead :p

Also the 1GB DDR3 version is not out yet. All the models I found were 512MB DDR3.

MK802 Android 4.0 Micro-PC « Android « Gadgetchip.com – Brings the latest news updates from gadget and tech world

But the one from VIA looks promising >>

Bought one from deal extreme for 76$.Its called minix plus not sure I will get the 1 gb model.read that we can run full blown Linux and xbmc on this.

anyone doing a GO on this?

I think if someone is ordering from DX or focal price etc, it will be better to do it individually as bulk orders will attract customs attention. Also there might be a good chance that this can be taken as USB pen drive or something if it comes individually.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Bought one from deal extreme for 76$.Its called minix plus not sure I will get the 1 gb model.read that we can run full blown Linux and xbmc on this.

Link Please and do let us know how it is. I am guessing you will have to wait for a month or so before it arrives.

How about using a Raspberry Pi to do all these things. XBMC runs on it. And as far as I know, ICS has been ported to it sucessfully.
Also full fledged Linux can be run by it too.

Note: By the looks of recent comments, it seems that production of the RPi is in full swing and people in the US are getting their products within 1week of placing orders. The backlog has been cleared it seems.

How about using a Raspberry Pi to do all these things. XBMC runs on it. And as far as I know, ICS has been ported to it sucessfully.
Also full fledged Linux can be run by it too.

Note: By the looks of recent comments, it seems that production of the RPi is in full swing and people in the US are getting their products within 1week of placing orders. The backlog has been cleared it seems.

I am also in confusion whether to go for Pi or this MK802 or something else. Also i have ZERO information about Pi so will have to look for what it has to offer. In terms of hardware, which is better ? Also it looks like Pi will have better developer support which sort of ensures that future android releases will be ported to Pi as well.

I am also in confusion whether to go for Pi or this MK802 or something else. Also i have ZERO information about Pi so will have to look for what it has to offer. In terms of hardware, which is better ? Also it looks like Pi will have better developer support which sort of ensures that future android releases will be ported to Pi as well.

While Pi is underpowered compered to the MK802, Pi will have more developer support, and the MK802 is not open as Pi, it just looks like a media player with android, while Pi can be customized much more, and I have not heard Pi running android, it is mostly targeted for running Linux distros

yea , the heat in the v1 was not good i suppose , atleast 2 units melted when kept working at night ,
i guess v2 has the shut down function and better temp control

Back