Apple announces lossless Apple Music is coming in June at no added cost

Yep got it on both iOS and Mac, testing it as of now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.13.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 11.13.50 PM.png
    975.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 4B152096-6C9D-4B8F-BFB1-AB4E6FD0809B_1_102_o.jpeg
    4B152096-6C9D-4B8F-BFB1-AB4E6FD0809B_1_102_o.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 113
Its out for Android app too!
Edit : it's working fine, nice to finally have good options. Cancelled Amazon, tidal already, hope apple doesn't increase price and add a separate pack for lossless.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210719-235039.png
    Screenshot_20210719-235039.png
    738.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20210720-000018.png
    Screenshot_20210720-000018.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Can you guys tell me what audio device you are using from iPhone or Mac?
1) Apple TV -> AVR
2) Direct headphone to Macbook
3) Direct headphone to ipad

Yet to try on phone - will have to try with the lightning to 3.5mm dongle although not 100% sure if that conversion is high res

Its out for Android app too!
Edit : it's working fine, nice to finally have good options. Cancelled Amazon, tidal already, hope apple doesn't increase price and add a separate pack for lossless.

Did apple music android app able to detect external DAC ?

Are you using LG Phone ?

Did apple music android app able to detect external DAC ?

Are you using LG Phone ?
I'm using LG so not using any external DAC or have any to try but I guess it shouldn't matter as it should play lossless by default when you enable it. At least it works that way in my mobile so not sure.

Got it on my iphone, ipad and mac.

What I have tried so far
1. Lightning to 3.5 on iphone
2. Direct and lightning to 3.5 on ipad
3. Direct and apple usb c to 3.5 on mac

I am assuming the lightning and usb c have the same internals(usbc to 3.5 supports upto 24bit/48khz)
Using cheapo sony xb450, not exactly ideal to test hi res. So take my initial impressions with that in mind. Will test with ath m50x when I can get it from my friend.

Saw 16bit/44.1khz, 24/44.1 and 24/48 on iphone. Even on mac, saw 24/48 highest, maybe needs dedicated dac to detect 24/192. Saw some videos with people using lightning to usb on ipad to get 24/192 from apple music to their dacs.

Dolby atmos only showed up when set to always on, on iphone. Confused between atmos and spatial, maybe needs airpods for that.
For me dolby made the tracks a bit ?reverby?echoey?, like in a massive hall. Not sure if thats spatial or atmos doing it(most tracks had spatial and atmos both)

Felt a bit of difference between high quality (256 aac) and lossless (alac 24/48), but with atmos off. Atmos made them sound equally echoey, couldn't tell the difference between quality settings. Again, not sure if its spatial or atmos issue.
With atmos forced on, it doesn't show lossless tag under music, just atmos. Don't know if all atmos tracks are strictly lossless or if there are non hi res atmos tracks too.

Which adapter is recommended?
The official lightning to 3.5mm adapter from apple? Or is there any alternative?
I don't want to end up buying something cheap and lose on quality.

Guys, but what wired earphones/headphones are you guys using to experience lossless the way it should be experienced? Suggest a good one with DAC if needed for me. Something that's very good for money. thanks

1) Apple TV -> AVR
2) Direct headphone to Macbook
3) Direct headphone to ipad

Yet to try on phone - will have to try with the lightning to 3.5mm dongle although not 100% sure if that conversion is high res
Thats correct. The apple lightning to 3.5 will support lossless but wont support hi res. I read it in an official apple statement
Just thought maybe I should warn him a little before it gets too late :p
Hahaha…Dude people like you who own andromeda’s are the ones who are normalising spending lacs on audio. Aap hi barbaad karoge sabko. I can already see you and your ilk have led thecoolerplayer down this dangerous path. He went from loving his new amp-dac to finding it underpowered in no tome at all. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Thats correct. The apple lightning to 3.5 will support lossless but wont support hi res. I read it in an official apple statement

Hahaha…Dude people like you who own andromeda’s are the ones who are normalising spending lacs on audio. Aap hi barbaad karoge sabko. I can already see you and your ilk have led thecoolerplayer down this dangerous path. He went from loving his new amp-dac to finding it underpowered in no tome at all. :tearsofjoy:
I am Ok with 44.1 sampling rate actually
The only thing IMO which (slightly) improves upon the existing (and good) HBR AAC streams is lossless .

I could be wrong but most studio masters are at 24 bit 44.1 khz anyway

Ahaha, I am thinking of buying speakers and taking off from portable world seriously. Just that I have some space constraints in my room that needs time to figure out.

Haha to be fair I was happy with my Tempotec till the time I started playing with parametric eqs, and after applying preamps southwards of - 10dB, it started feeling underpowered. So I thought I might as well get a good amp and complete the setup. The Tempotec is still splendid for portable use, and most movies/shows since I prefer to use no eq at all for those. It's basically only (Hi-res and lossless) music and music production in which I use eq for, and basically everything else I prefer the HE400i's natural sound :)

Back