Apple Event — September 14, 2021

Even though i dont shoot many videos, but oh boy is the video quality good.
If video and image quality is your concern then Sony zv1 is just 55k and it can outperform iPhone 13, 14 and 15 pro max ultra super. :) Some big advantages of a dedicated camera are, a large sensor, optical zoom and Inexpensive battery and easy battery swap on the go. Replacing a battery also takes away the heat. I know a smartphone is still convenient for home videos and the video quality is pretty good but the price tag is also something which people completely forget when it comes to phones. One lakh for a phone for video recordings is excessive because a 50-60k small camera can outperform it on auto and destroy it on manual. If a person is serious about images and videos then zv1 is better than an iPhone 13 pro max even in USA.
Exynos 990 is a massive con tbh. Also, i agree it is sad that apple has these ridiculous policies like the repair discouragement, charger removal, closed ecosystem etc but one cant argue that products are quite good. I dont want to give any money to apple because of the shit treatment by the service centers, poor ux, no customisation etc. However, I am a value seeker and find it hard to justify spending on the current Android flagships. The OP9 pro launched for a laughable 62k with such poor cameras and heating issues. Now it will be available for less than 49k in diwali sale. Feel for those who had got it for around 62k just a few months ago. Android midrangers’ 20-30k range is amazing though.

Anyway, please watch Techchaps video that is shot on the iphone 13 pro. It is something else.
You can find a lot of cinematic videos shot from all phones ranging from Galaxy s20, s21 ultra and iPhone 12, 13 etc. They all look good. Do watch sony zv1 cinematic too. If you are talking about background blur then please don't use it, it looks awful, because background blur does not look good on phone focal lengths. Even a 20k camera with 10x zoom can produce better cinematic effect than that. Rack focus is awesome though and I applaud Apple for doing real innovation here. But rack focus is useful only if you want to shoot cinematic storytelling videos not for vlogging or home videos. As far as value is concerned, latest flagship smartphones are never a good value for money. Real value lies in a bit older phones. I have no idea about the problems of Exynos 990 but I have used Note 10 and I never noticed any lag in day to day tasks even on power saving mode. Note 20 ultra is also 50-60k less expensive than an iPhone 13 pro. It may not be a big deal for a person in Apple ecosystem but for someone who is okay with Android, the price difference is outrageous IMHO.
BUT if you can get it from USA I see no reason not to buy it. ;)

I think you are exaggerating a lot. Note 20 Ultra pros
-One of the best display tech.
-S pen, which is far better than an Apple pencil in writing experience. It feels like writing on paper without any expensive 'paper like' non sense. S pen has hover mode, battery free and comes bundled with Note.
-Camera is pretty good. Both Samsung and Apple are neck to neck in image quality.
-Multiple log in methods like under display touch, face etc. Feels futuristic unlike Apple.
-Call recordings.
-Dex Mode.
-An ability to install apps from outside.
-About 10-30k less expense on repairs. Has pick up and drop facility too.
-40k less price in comparison to a iPhone 13 pro.

Cons
Exynos ?

Completely demolish is an exaggeration. The blur you are talking about is called "motion blur" and it literally gives videos a cinematic look. Also a general rule of videography is, your shutter speed should be twice that of your frame rate. For still photography, fast shutter speed make things less blurrier but dark while slow speed makes things brighter but blurrier so, the shutter speed should depend on the scene. There is no faster is better here.

S21 Ultra has a 515 ppi display. It is about 50 ppi higher than that of Apple's 13 pro max. I have no idea why are you calling youtubers stupid? Most youtubers these days compare cameras side by side while mounted on a same tripod. It is the best way to do a fair and unbiased comparison. I agree that most youtubers have no idea about high end dedicated tech like displays, cameras, sound etc but phone is designed to be used by everyone so even a kid knows what he is talking.

Also, don't be a fanboy. Recently Apple has made 'new arrangements' in iphone 13. Now, any 3rd part screen repair would disable the face id even if the replaced screen is taken from an another iphone. It was camera which used to get disabled before and now it is face id.
Nah mate. I'm not one bit exaggerating.
S Pen is a niche use product, not everybody needs it. Personally had a note phone and very rarely used the pen. But yeah agree S pen is a great tool for those who need it. Better than apple pencil imo. have used both.

Sorry to say brother, but camera is utter shit. S21 Ultra is the only Samsung I'd take close to recent iPhones (and in some ways better than the iphone (until 12) in daylight. Have used the note 20 ultra camera and I can confidently say the camera sucks ass specially if lighting conditions are less than perfect. low light video is close to unusable to compared to iPhones.

Completely demolish is NOT and exaggeration. I'm not even talking about the 20 ultra, that's what I said about the S21 ultra. Previous phones don't even stand a chance. If you refuse to believe me, just watch camera comparisons between 13 pro and s21 ultra in the video department. When I get the time I'll post the video links here.

and what? Motion blur? Dude I used to be someone who was behind a dslr every minute when I was younger. When I mean something as simple as blurry picture i mean just that. No need to complicate things. A picture of a moving object/subject gets blurry because of 'slower' shutter speed. motion blur is a completely different thing.

S21 Ultra has a 515 ppi display and I'm well aware of it. There's no doubt it's a better panel for nearly everything and I myself can distinguish text sharpeness/crispness between a full 2k android phone and an iphone. This is a trade off i've accepted to let go because the difference is minuscule and the battery gains are obvious! Also 99% of the people won't notice a single difference. I bet my whole money on this.
However, if you read my post again, you can see that what I meant is, these stupid youtubers put the s21 ultra in 1080p mode which actually looks CRAP in real world as opposed to their full 2k setting. What this means is that, all their battery comparisons are dogshit. Let them put the phone in 2k mode and we'll talk. Again I'm sure this is where the new iphone pulls so FAR ahead.

And yeah, I'm a full fanboy because:
They have perfected the core components of a phone and what I look forward to in a "phone". I need something that works perfectly. I don't need new features every year that you forget after a couple of weeks.

also I don't buy iphones at Indian prices. there is simply no value in that.

3rd party repairs were always troublesome with apple but the chinese have always found a way to bypass all the bullshit :)
Samsungs are even more difficult to repair fyi.

I'm all up for right to repair and I wish something positive comes out of it.

Initially the Amazon creative said Snapdragon 865+ Note 20 version. That would have made sense. It may not be very powerful but doesnt heat up much. Now the listing has been changed to exynos 990. Wouldn’t pay 30k for that.

The A12 is generally good but the A14 had a heating issue. 888 is worse. I dont need much performance gains, and performance at the cost of heat doesnt make sense for me. Overall quite happy with the XS apart from the battery and slow charging.

While I was undecided which one to buy, techchap channel posted a video on youtube shot from the iphone 13 pro. Even though i dont shoot many videos, but oh boy is the video quality good.
Most likely will wait for a friend to visit US.

Exynos 990 is a massive con tbh. Also, i agree it is sad that apple has these ridiculous policies like the repair discouragement, charger removal, closed ecosystem etc but one cant argue that products are quite good. I dont want to give any money to apple because of the shit treatment by the service centers, poor ux, no customisation etc. However, I am a value seeker and find it hard to justify spending on the current Android flagships. The OP9 pro launched for a laughable 62k with such poor cameras and heating issues. Now it will be available for less than 49k in diwali sale. Feel for those who had got it for around 62k just a few months ago. Android midrangers’ 20-30k range is amazing though.

Anyway, please watch Techchaps video that is shot on the iphone 13 pro. It is something else.
Yep I saw the techchap video and I was super impressed! but other videos were just about okay.
A snapdragon 865+ for 70k is still bad value in the world of androids imo. 12 Pro max 256gb is around 82k abroad which is much much more vfm. Just the hassle of finding someone who's coming from the UAE or somewhere.

If video and image quality is your concern then Sony zv1 is just 55k and it can outperform iPhone 13, 14 and 15 pro max ultra super. :) Some big advantages of a dedicated camera are
Already discussed the point of having a good smartphone camera in the thread. There is no logic to this comparison.

Last edited:
Nah mate. I'm not one bit exaggerating.
S Pen is a niche use product, not everybody needs it. Personally had a note phone and very rarely used the pen. But yeah agree S pen is a great tool for those who need it. Better than apple pencil imo. have used both. Sorry to say brother, but camera is utter shit. S21 Ultra is the only Samsung I'd take close to recent iPhones (and in some ways better than the iphone (until 12) in daylight. Have used the note 20 ultra camera and I can confidently say the camera sucks ass specially if lighting conditions are less than perfect. low light video is close to unusable to compared to iPhones.
Yup, S pen a niche product. Also my comparison holds true only for a person who is about to buy in India. At US prices, an iPhone 13 pro is obviously better than a Note 20 Ultra.
I agree that the camera in low light videos is bad, but do you know why? Because phone cams are bad in low light videos. iPhone is already bad in low light videos. Samsung is even worse. Even a APSC cam is not that good in low light. Only full frame cameras can do a good job in low light.

As far as iPhone 13 vs Galaxy s21 ultra is concerned, yes, iPhone has noticeably better videos and if a person is to spend one lakh on a phone for videos then iPhone is better IMO. I was comparing 13 pro with Note 20 Ultra in India. The price difference is outrageous for a bit better videos.

and what? Motion blur? Dude I used to be someone who was behind a dslr every minute when I was younger. When I mean something as simple as blurry picture i mean just that. No need to complicate things. A picture of a moving object/subject gets blurry because of 'slower' shutter speed. motion blur is a completely different thing.
Motion blur is same in both videos and images. It is a blur caused by motion of the subject. Galaxy s7 has about 1/24000 shutter speed. Even a full frame camera Sony A73 has 1/8000 shutter speed. They use about 1/1000 in sports photography. There is no reason why an iPhone has better/faster shutter speeds or less blur.

these stupid youtubers put the s21 ultra in 1080p mode which actually looks CRAP in real world as opposed to their full 2k setting. What this means is that, all their battery comparisons are dogshit. Let them put the phone in 2k mode and we'll talk. Again I'm sure this is where the new iphone pulls so FAR ahead.
Interesting. If this is the case then it is definitely an unfair comparison.

And yeah, I'm a full fanboy because:
also I don't buy iphones at Indian prices. there is simply no value in that.
I'm all up for right to repair and I wish something positive comes out of it.
I don't think you are a fanboy. You refused to justify outrageous prices and bad repair practices. I have seen fanboys comparing a headphone jack to a floppy drive. You seems more like a person who prefers a phone for his use case which is totally fine.

Already discussed the point of having a good smartphone camera in the thread. There is no logic to this comparison.
Logic depends on a person's own understanding and needs. I never said a dedicated camera has anything to do with a good smartphone camera. Even a mid range phone has a good enough camera. ;)

Just a quick update. I’m not really liking the 13 pro max camera to the fullest. Indoor pics are horribly over sharpened to the point there are halos around the edges. Reminds me of my old Samsung. To say i’m disappointed would be an understatement. My XS max takes better pics indoors (not low light). Also pics are too contrasty for my tastes and gives a dead giveaway that they are shot on a phone. The reason I always loved iphone camera was for its softer natural look.
Video, stabilisation, cinematic mode, portrait photos are top notch and just brilliant. but normal pics indoors and 3x outdoors look downright horrible.

This is why I always said youtubers are stupid. I’m yet to see anybody who has mentioned this issue.

the phone otherwise is superb in every way. i’m just sad most people prefer oversharpening.

Just a quick update. I’m not really liking the 13 pro max camera to the fullest. Indoor pics are horribly over sharpened to the point there are halos around the edges. Reminds me of my old Samsung. To say i’m disappointed would be an understatement. My XS max takes better pics indoors (not low light). Also pics are too contrasty for my tastes and gives a dead giveaway that they are shot on a phone. The reason I always loved iphone camera was for its softer natural look.
Video, stabilisation, cinematic mode, portrait photos are top notch and just brilliant. but normal pics indoors and 3x outdoors look downright horrible.

This is why I always said youtubers are stupid. I’m yet to see anybody who has mentioned this issue.

the phone otherwise is superb in every way. i’m just sad most people prefer oversharpening.
Then thats a problem for a person like me. 90% of my shots are of my kid indoors. Absolutely love the daytime indoor pics from the xs. The skintone is natural unlike the artificial jaundiced whiteness of samsung. Love the gcam skin tone too on androids btw.

A question- if you ignore the low light, is it a noticeable upgrade over your xs max camera.

Then thats a problem for a person like me. 90% of my shots are of my kid indoors. Absolutely love the daytime indoor pics from the xs. The skintone is natural unlike the artificial jaundiced whiteness of samsung. Love the gcam skin tone too on androids btw.

A question- if you ignore the low light, is it a noticeable upgrade over your xs max camera.
Colours are actually more true to life than xs max but oversharpening absolutely destroys the overall feel of the image.

I’ll upload comparisons as soon as possible. you can decide for yourselves. Other than that, yeah it’s definitely a big upgrade! portraits and videos are so damn good.

Almost 3 months since I got this phone and my camera disappointment still stays. Knowing Apple they won't ever release a fix for this.
Add to it video calls actually look much worse in indoor lighting than XS Max. Baffles my mind.

I have to manually edit - reduce contrast and slightly increase shadows to almost every pic I take (except portraits). Even for videos. I have no idea why Apple went the Android way of processing this year.
In indoor lighting, what you see on the viewfinder is not what you get. A heavy layer of overprocessing applies on top of the image after 1.5 sec of taking the shot. It's sad and I'm extremely disappointed to say the least.

Battery life is kickass though!!!! Easy 2 day battery for me unless I go out and take a lot of pics n videos. If they kept the Xs or 11 pro way of processing, this would have been literally the perfect no nonsense phone to ever exist.

Back