Apple Event — September 14, 2021

I already planned not to upgrade but this was like purana mal with new rapper. its better not to upgrade for at least next year or may be 2 more after that.

Looks like a good update from the 12 pro max for those who didn't buy the 12pm. ifykwim. Many subtle changes result in significant improvements. Most people just fail to understand that. 12 pro to 13 pro is even better of an upgrade because of the significant camera changes. this is like the x-xs max upgrade but better.
Awesome upgrade from xs max and older devices.

120hz
much better battery life (as per apple, should wait for reviews). this is the biggest plus imo.
much better camera all around (halide app dev says this is huge)
probably more efficient cpu (have heard the 12 series heats up more than the 11 series). also evident from the battery gains.

disappointments:
the new color looks dull. the leaked sunset gold looked damn beautiful
no aod.
no touch id.

p.s: iphone fan boy.

12 pro max
Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 2.34.37 PM.png

13 pro max
Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 2.32.52 PM.png

12 pro to 13 pro is even better of an upgrade
hXXps://i.imgur.com/3qLPz9b.mp4

^^ logic

hXXps://i.imgur.com/3qLPz9b.mp4

^^ logic
mate I've used the 12 pro as well as the max. the 12 pro has similar camera as the 11 pro while the max has a larger different sensor with a different OIS mechanism (which is clearly noticeable). now the 13 pro has the same camera as the 13 pm which is even better than 12 pm. hope you get it now. you don't have to read generic website comparisons to know such things.

edit: like I said for those who already has a 12 pro max this is 100% a 'meh' upgrade or just a good refresh if battery and 120hz is that important.

mate I've used the 12 pro as well as the max. the 12 pro has similar camera as the 11 pro while the max has a larger different sensor with a different OIS mechanism (which is clearly noticeable). now the 13 pro has the same camera as the 13 pm which is even better than 12 pm. hope you get it now. you don't have to read generic website comparisons to know such things.
Why not just buy a decent camera with OIS?

Why not just buy a decent camera with OIS?
Yep. If camera is what you need, why not go for a camera. Dslrs are bulky but we are getting slimmer and slimmer mirrorless cameras. They definitely won't fit in your pocket but they can easily fit in a very small backpack. I mean the best camera is the one you have in your hand and even midrange androids have got cameras that will blow 2 or 3 year old flagships of android or apple away. I held back on getting an iphone because simply getting one for a camera didn't seem right. But at the end of the day if you like iphone get iphone, if you like android get android. But don't rationalize marketing ploys used by companies.

I mean the best camera is the one you have in your hand and even midrange androids have got cameras that will blow 2 or 3 year old flagships of android or apple away. I held back on getting an iphone because simply getting one for a camera didn't seem right. But don't rationalize marketing ploys used by companies.
Sorry what? Can you name a few mid range phones that can even match the quality of a 4 year old iPhone in day time shots? And camera is not just for shooting pics, most people i know and myself included record videos of our loved ones. forget mid range, even flagship android phones like the oneplus (don't know what's the case after software updates) shoot freaking poverty class pics and videos. Except the samsung s21 ultra. s20 and note 20 ultra was crap too. and then comes the different heating issues, cannot record for more than a few min etc etc.

If you have used the S21 ultra which is undeniably the best android cam out there, it still suffers from the years old good ol' shutter lag issue.

and no most stupid reviewers on youtube won't mention anything about it.

In day light if you're just shooting random buildings there won't be much of difference. Difference is evident when the lighting conditions are slightly difficult and most android phones just murder the natural colors. I'm not talking about night pics, GCAM wins it over any iPhone I've used. Period. Night sight on gcam is supremely good.

Talking about the colors, I've found the 12 pro deviated from the usual natural tones apple goes after and felt slightly weird to me. hope the 13 fixes it.

but yeah if you like iphone get iphone and vice versa. but facts are facts. android leads innovation, apple is always late to the game. what you like is entirely up to you.

Sorry what? Can you name a few mid range phones that can even match the quality of a 4 year old iPhone in day time shots? And camera is not just for shooting pics, most people i know and myself included record videos of our loved ones. forget mid range, even flagship android phones like the oneplus (don't know what's the case after software updates) shoot freaking poverty class pics and videos. Except the samsung s21 ultra. s20 and note 20 ultra was crap too. and then comes the different heating issues, cannot record for more than a few min etc etc.

If you have used the S21 ultra which is undeniably the best android cam out there, it still suffers from the years old good ol' shutter lag issue.

and no most stupid reviewers on youtube won't mention anything about it.

In day light if you're just shooting random buildings there won't be much of difference. Difference is evident when the lighting conditions are slightly difficult and most android phones just murder the natural colors. I'm not talking about night pics, GCAM wins it over any iPhone I've used. Period. Night sight on gcam is supremely good.

Talking about the colors, I've found the 12 pro deviated from the usual natural tones apple goes after and felt slightly weird to me. hope the 13 fixes it.

but yeah if you like iphone get iphone and vice versa. but facts are facts. android leads innovation, apple is always late to the game. what you like is entirely up to you.
Pixel 4a, Samsung a52, a72, Mi 10t pro, one plus nord, nord 2 all have superior dxomark scores than 2 years old apple flagships. Speaking of android to android comparison, it gets a bit more complex as companies like to play back and forth with main camera quality and number of sensors, with main camera quality suffering at the expense of number of sensors.

But of course they are two entirely different experiences with iphones offering a much more cohesive experience (tight, if I'm allowed to be a bit crass). Androids will always suffer due to numerous configurations that exist. That is both a bane and a boon.

The point I wanted to make was that if one is buying an iphone for just its camera. Then one would be better off getting a decent android for day to day use and a dedicated camera. Neither android nor iphone can match their quality yet.

Pixel 4a, Samsung a52, a72, Mi 10t pro, one plus nord, nord 2 all have superior dxomark scores than 2 years old apple flagships. Speaking of android to android comparison, it gets a bit more complex as companies like to play back and forth with main camera quality and number of sensors, with main camera quality suffering at the expense of number of sensors.

But of course they are two entirely different experiences with iphones offering a much more cohesive experience (tight, if I'm allowed to be a bit crass). Androids will always suffer due to numerous configurations that exist. That is both a bane and a boon.

The point I wanted to make was that if one is buying an iphone for just its camera. Then one would be better off getting a decent android for day to day use and a dedicated camera. Neither android nor iphone can match their quality yet.
would strongly disagree with that

I am a Non pro photographer. Use cam mostly for shooting pics of kid and dogs.
I use a Fuji x t30 with 35mm and 16mm f1.4 primes.

i surely get better results with the above when I put effort into framing the shots for special occasions (although phone results are not too bad either)
However, on an everyday basis - I get better results with current phones. The on board ML algos help yields much better results than the fancier camera kit despite the poorer optics when you just want to point & shoot.

If I had the choice of keeping only 1 ,i.e. cheap phone + good cam equipment vs just one good phone, I would always take the latter - would be a much cheaper option anyway as each good lens alone costs the same as a new good phone

Last edited:
I suppose the phone vs camera debate will be never ending. As @DrkLord mentioned, the best camera is the one you have at hand. I feel for the purposes of all around photography, the phone is not there yet. Whether it will, in the future, I don't know. The fancy ML does not allow the level of control like one needs in a normal workflow. Yes, the convenience is definitely there and if you don't have much time, then use the mobile. But if you are looking for some serious photography, nothing beats a good camera and the mirrorless are pretty small enough for you to slip into your pocket. I enjoy my Sony 6300.

i surely get better results with the above when I put effort into framing the shots for special occasions (although phone results are not too bad either)
However, on an everyday basis - I get better results with current phones. The on board ML algos help yields much better results than the fancier camera kit despite the poorer optics when you just want to point & shoot.

If I had the choice of keeping only 1 ,i.e. cheap phone + good cam equipment vs just one good phone, I would always take the latter - would be a much cheaper option anyway as each good lens alone costs the same as a new good phone
I stand corrected. My view has changed. Would you say above mentioned phones like pixel 4a, samsung a52 etc would be enough to get into astrophotography and basic nature photography?
I suppose the phone vs camera debate will be never ending. As @DrkLord mentioned, the best camera is the one you have at hand. I feel for the purposes of all around photography, the phone is not there yet. Whether it will, in the future, I don't know. The fancy ML does not allow the level of control like one needs in a normal workflow. Yes, the convenience is definitely there and if you don't have much time, then use the mobile. But if you are looking for some serious photography, nothing beats a good camera and the mirrorless are pretty small enough for you to slip into your pocket. I enjoy my Sony 6300.
Even in future we have to manage our expectations as there is limited space for camera components in mobiles and phones have reached the limit of comfort in width. And if we are to assume that electronics will improve and take lesser space( which is entirely possible, computers were sizes of rooms) and similar thing can be assumed for dedicated cameras. I guess we may see cameras with android lite and more camera oriented hardware(as we are seeing with music players).

Apple already charges a premium for their phones and so do samsung and google. It doesn’t seem right. If cameras on apple are superior and they bring down their prices to the level of androids(se 2020 was nearly there but its battery really sucked), I wouldn't mind trying them out. Brand/ecosystem loyalty is a joke and companies have got no consumer loyalty. We as customers should stick together and vote with our wallets.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. My view has changed. Would you say above mentioned phones like pixel 4a, samsung a52 etc would be enough to get into astrophotography and basic nature photography?

There is no need to change your view i guess … the key is what your expectations are - Photography can be an involved hobby and if one is genuinely into it, a phone cam will never compare with a dedicated kit.
I really like the level of control I get with the camera - and for the days I am up to it, I do truly enjoy it.

My response was solely for your point on someone choosing an iphone (or pixel or whatever) because it has a good camera.
For someone who just wants good pics - but is not into photography as a hobby per se, it is the right thing to do.

It's difficult to use an iPhone these days without a fingerprint sensor. They should have really added it on this gen. Sad, but no upgrade for me this year. Would like to know other's opinion on this.

It's difficult to use an iPhone these days without a fingerprint sensor. They should have really added it on this gen. Sad, but no upgrade for me this year. Would like to know other's opinion on this.
Thats true, using an iPhone 8 Plus right now but the power button has stopped working.
I do want to get an upgrade but also need a fingerprint scanner with the phone. Right now Im kinda torn between getting this phone repaired AGAIN and/or getting a new phone

Don't hold apple is not going to bring the Finger print on Iphones anytime soon.... I personally think they will never bring it back.

Thats true, using an iPhone 8 Plus right now but the power button has stopped working.
I do want to get an upgrade but also need a fingerprint scanner with the phone. Right now Im kinda torn between getting this phone repaired AGAIN and/or getting a new phone
I am definitely not an apple fanboy but will still say that the face id implementation is so good that you wont ever miss the fp sensor. Unless of course you have a mask on. There are many many UX flaws in apple devices, but the face id unlock isnt one if them. If you can, please borrow an iphone for a week. I will go back to android for my next phone as if apple isnt better on privacy then its not worth the money imo. But if I do go back, I will miss the face id.

Just curious, do you also get mad that you cant separate camera pics from the trillion whatsapp memes. College groups send thousand memes a week (which i happily download), but then my own camera pics get lost in those memes. Very annoying. Am i the only one annoyed at this or are there more like me who would rather have a dedicated camera roll folder.

@icysmoke I am a noob when it comes to Apple but does the Files app from Google available on App store? It segregates your pics folderwise so you can clearly see the lics you want(memes, cam pics, telegram images etc.)

I am definitely not an apple fanboy but will still say that the face id implementation is so good that you wont ever miss the fp sensor. Unless of course you have a mask on. There are many many UX flaws in apple devices, but the face id unlock isnt one if them. If you can, please borrow an iphone for a week. I will go back to android for my next phone as if apple isnt better on privacy then its not worth the money imo. But if I do go back, I will miss the face id.
I'll be honest my work makes me move around alot at times, yes even in Covid. Normally I have a face mask on because of this, for anything important while I am out such as making payments to heck even checking your phone all of that is done VIA a fingerprint scanner. I have tried the face unlock it seemed really good but after 2020 I just cant buy something to which I have to adjust again and again remind me of antenna-gate from iPhone 4 (the you're holding it wrong controversy). Now yes, while at home the face unlock is amazing, but having two ways to securely login would be much better than taking off your mask all the time.

@icysmoke I am a noob when it comes to Apple but does the Files app from Google available on App store? It segregates your pics folderwise so you can clearly see the lics you want(memes, cam pics, telegram images etc.)
Apple does segregate the photos in albums if that's what you're asking, just not "memes"

Don't hold apple is not going to bring the Finger print on Iphones anytime soon.... I personally think they will never bring it back.
You maybe right, at the same time, I'm a little used to the IOS interface, not gonna lie but at times android does seem like a chore although I'm not a fan boy but just preferred the simplicity of an apple device

Couldn’t find the files app on the app store.

Apple does segregate the photos in albums if that's what you're asking, just not "memes"
There is no dedicated camera roll album in ios14. Apple creates its own albums with AI. But if i want a simple album that has camera pics without being clubbed up randomly by apple AI, there is no such folder. Have looked this up on google too. Many more users have the same gripe.

Back