Assassins creed 2 DRM is going to be really really painfull

Nitari said:
does DRM allow AC2 to get installed in 2 pcs?
Yes it does. It allows multiple installations, but the you need an valid Ubisoft a/c and the key to play the game. So it's one person at a time with one account.

OK, mine is *ahem* version and it was working till last night, I mean I installed it, ran it, Lucy told me to get on Animus, everything went white so I thought that maybe it was the Animus bug everyone was talking about and I removed my save games and even deleted that random numbers folder but now even after re-installing, whenever I try to run the game, I get this error,

---------------------------

Error code 1.

You have to shut down any previous Ubisoft Game Launcher sessions before starting a new one.

OK

even creating a new Ubi account doesn't works. What's wrong here, besides the game being illegal ?

Ryunosuke said:
even creating a new Ubi account doesn't works. What's wrong here, besides the game being illegal ?
Are you OK with playing only the side missions? The main missions won't work at all. Better get the legit copy for this one.

OK, I didn't knew that. Will think about it. My BSNL connection is pretty f'd up and I might even shift my location and no gaming where I'm going so I might just skip these shenanigans of Ubisoft. BTW is it going to be the same DRM story with Splinter Cell-Conviction?

Ryunosuke said:
I might just skip these shenanigans of Ubisoft. BTW is it going to be the same DRM story with Splinter Cell-Conviction?

Well obviously they were fed up with pirates long before you got fed up with their shenanigans. So face it, (bad) DRM is here to stay and all future games will have it till the time they can achieve better content protection at a much more lower level like in PS3 games without having to resort to crappy third party lib's.

Lord Nemesis said:
Well obviously they were fed up with pirates long before you got fed up with their shenanigans. So face it, (bad) DRM is here to stay and all future games will have it till the time they can achieve better content protection at a much more lower level like in PS3 games without having to resort to crappy third party lib's.

i don't think the ubi drm scheme will last more than a year. it's expensive to maintain, and requires a lot of work even on the part of the game developers to make their game in such a way so as to let some of the core logic reside at the server. if it gets cracked (and it eventually will), i think ubisoft will start to see that the costs are not worth the benefit. at that point though, they might come up with another kind of drm or they might just leave the pc altogether. i'm sure none of those outcomes is preferred.

Don't think its true.

And EA DRM for constant internet connection is already cracked in CnC 4

Ethan_Hunt said:
It's an April Fool's day joke, I believe (check the date). ;)

ye may be you are correct, chances of a unknown group cracking ACII are slim, when groups like reloaded, razor had stopped working on ACII

Hi,

Has anyone bought the AC2 for PC as yet?

Was thinking of getting it but only have a 256 Kbps connection so not sure if I will be able to play :(.

Boot_Comp said:
Hi,

Was thinking of getting it but only have a 256 Kbps connection so not sure if I will be able to play :(.
I think nearly 3 members on TE have bought the legit copy. It should work even on a 256Kbps line as it doesn't require the bandwidth to stream content or download anything, but only for synchronising saves to your online profile and authenticate your copy.

Boot_Comp said:
Hi,

256kbps is easily more than enough. what matters is not the bandwidth of the connection, but rather how stable it is. as long as your internet doesn't disconnect frequently, you'll be fine.

on a side note, i've put in about 8 hours into the game so far and i have to say, it's easily one of the best games i've played in recent times, and i've only completed about a third of the game.

Thanks.

It's a new SIFY one (unfortunately that's the only available provider there :().

When I tried playing at quakelive.com (just to check as the speed sucks for it), I kept seeing the "disconnected" message every few seconds in between (although I was not disconnected as such).

Wonder if this would mean I can't play AC2 :(?

like you said, you weren't actually disconnected from the internet, which is what matters in this case. quake live is sending a lot of data to and from your pc constantly. that will not be the case for ac2 where it will only check with the master servers at discrete intervals. how often does your internet go down completely?

Back