Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

Why don't you go with the stock firmware, compared to RT-N13U the RT-N16 is much better and uses transmission with lighhttpd for the web interface

Hi I googled the line "how to use transmission with lighthttpd for the web interface in ASUS RT-N16"...Can't reveal much or say I don't know which one to follow ?

I choose RT-N16 with DD-WRT way because the official Wiki page available and after reading (understanding) I found the steps quite easy.....Then followed the Optware... the right way,but can't get much right into it...

You don't need to! If you are looking for a device with zero configuration, then the RT-16 fits the bill, install the latest firmware, plug in a usb drive or a pendrive, in the USB applications page you have option to install Download master, once that is done you should be able to go to the Download master url and add torrents/urls to download

It uses the same principle but is heavily customized, the optware installation and everything is done automatically you don't need to mess around with anything!

@disselYour drives are not formatted to ext3 , can you show output of lsusb and cat /proc/partitions

Hi, dinjo

I format a 32gb usb drive with gparted in machine running ubuntu 12.04 LTS running so that I can avoid the ISO burning steps.

I can assure that drive is formatted ext3 in

Partition 1 :- 1 GB , Partition 2:- 28.69 gb

This can prove the 1st screen shot of post number #1138

http://www.techenclave.com/networking/asus-rt-n13u-b1-now-113137/p57/#post1781137

Anyhow I will do the following command and post the result soon....

Can you please check the Startup script section on the 2nd picture which I copy pasted from the first page......Anything wrong I copied ?

I'm not sure about RT-N16 but i guess it supports ext3 natively with no drivers required, can you do the following
Code:
ls -l dev/discs/disc0/
umount /mnt
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc0/part2 /mnt
mount
df -lk

here all the command executed which is suggested by dinjo

Screen of Telnet @ DD-WRT, surprisingly no lsusb found -----Whats wrong ?

as well as last line also invalid.....

3YQGsLH.png

- - - Updated - - -

One que, at DD-WRT Services > USB > Disk mount point > /opt.....

Do I need to change it /mnt ?

This can be visible 1st screen shot of post no : - 1138

I will explain what all steps I took before shifting to a different device for downloading

1. Install the latest ASUS official firmware for RT_N16
2. Enable Telnet, and attach a whatever size pendrive, do not worry about formats
3. Telnet into the router, do fdisk -l to check if your pendrive is detected or not
4. Once it is detected do fdisk /dev/sda1
5. Create the neccessary partitions, no need of swap
6. Press w and quit fdisk
7. Run mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1 to format it to ext2 file systems since we are using a pendrive, for a usb hdd use ext3
8. Go to USB applications in the menu and select the option to install Download master
9. Sit back, get some torrents add them to the Download master at http://yourrouterip:8081
10. Enjoy!

Nice, i wonder what version it would be !

Can you make torrents via the client ?

tia

No, you cannot make torrents, I think you cannot do so through Transmission as well right! I shifted to Debian squeeze running Transmission 2.03, the one that ASUS uses is heavily customised, they do not use the Transmission interface but use a lighthttpd customised interface and call it Download master, i have disabled it as I'm now using GoFlex Net, hence won't be able to provide the version details.

I will explain what all steps I took before shifting to a different device for downloading

1. Install the latest ASUS official firmware for RT_N16
2. Enable Telnet, and attach a whatever size pendrive, do not worry about formats
3. Telnet into the router, do fdisk -l to check if your pendrive is detected or not
4. Once it is detected do fdisk /dev/sda1
5. Create the neccessary partitions, no need of swap
6. Press w and quit fdisk
7. Run mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1 to format it to ext2 file systems since we are using a pendrive, for a usb hdd use ext3
8. Go to USB applications in the menu and select the option to install Download master
9. Sit back, get some torrents add them to the Download master at http://yourrouterip:8081
10. Enjoy!
11. Spend some hours when a torrent suddenly stops and you start getting low speed.

- - - Updated - - -

here all the command executed which is suggested by dinjo

Screen of Telnet @ DD-WRT, surprisingly no lsusb found -----Whats wrong ?

as well as last line also invalid.....

3YQGsLH.png

- - - Updated - - -

One que, at DD-WRT Services > USB > Disk mount point > /opt.....

Do I need to change it /mnt ?

This can be visible 1st screen shot of post no : - 1138
do a
ipkg install lsusb blkid

Also try to apply self logic here if df -lk is not running did df run i cannot do a complete handholding.

As per whatever info you have given there is no ext3 drivers found due to which the drive is not getting mount as ext3

^^^^ As it is a pendrive, Do I need to change it format to ext2 as suggested by tommy_vercetti ?

- - - Updated - - -

Well change the file format to a ext2 as it is a USB stick and perform the command......and got some screen load of error. As I now feeling there is no way N16 will work DD-WRT-->Optware --> Transmission way......

One more thing I can't even make use DD-WRT 'ed N16 in PPPoE mode, it just can't authenticate/send the log in credential to BSNL modem broadband router, So put it in "Auto Configuration -DHCP" mode.

After a long depression about failed attempt to configure transmission / opt ware I suddenly got an idea, why not followed the "Optware , The Right Way " Wiki page......where I left and followed TE guide.

and it worked....currently I'm running optware with transmission client in my RT-N16 with 32 gb pendrive....right now downloading two torrents for test purpose as I know I need to change it into a HDD unless it wear out soon.

What I did;

1. Reformat the pen drive as the same way mentioned in the Page 1 but this time ext2.

2.Load the BASMAF optware as suggested in the Wiki page. (it take a while)

3. Then Enable Transmission service.

4. Now it didn't let me access Transmission WebUi which is http://routerip:9091 until I delete the whole Startup script which is Admin---> Commands---->Save Start-up. It conflicting with .json setting etc etc.....

5.Now the torrent are downloading default location which is /mnt/torrent/work.

--------------------------------------------

Now please let me know where this torrent file are going

A. Is it downloading 1GB ext2 partition ? if so how can I route them to 29gb ext2 partition ?

here is the screenshot df -lk and df -h command, please let me know how can I move the torrent file to 27gb portion which is mounted /dev/discs/disc0/part1 still 1% usage

CMSlvfc.png

B. This is I don't know yet after a reboot all downloaded torrent will be lost or not ? .......

C. When download is complete how can I get those file from the usb drive to my computer ?

dinjo How to increase the range, I'm not getting signal in my one room ?

Select US as the country, this will give you max nos. of channels and power. Play arnd with it, try to increase power and then check the dead zone. If you have other wifi signals arnd your home, Select a channel which no other wifi signals are using, this will reduce noise and could possibly get you signal in your dead zone.
Try to put wifi router in a better location, little high or a better place. Also, try to use a better wifi adapter in the dead zone. Wifi is two way transmission.
btw, how far is the room from your router with how many and which kind of walls ?

Check transmission preferences to change location of torrent folder.For accessing files either get samba running on router or use ext2fs to access directly into pc

Back