Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

I use same transmission which was installed long ago. None of the free trackers are connecting including UDP links.

It was all working fine 10 days back & all of a sudden stopped. USB Automount all working fine. Do I reinstall transmission ?

For testing dowload driver solution. link attached. or any other genuine software. via UTORRENT and then try again in transmission
http://download.drp.su/DRPSu13-Final.torrent

@ axis.meister

Don't download ubuntu. in transmissions. Due to some reason it always crash for me two

entire transmission crash. when starting

only fix was manually delete ubuntu from HDD and resume list and other location where transmission saved info

If you really need to download ubuntu USE pyLoad and get some http or ftp ubuntu link

@ axis.meister

Don't download ubuntu. in transmissions. Due to some reason it always crash for me two

entire transmission crash. when starting

only fix was manually delete ubuntu from HDD and resume list and other location where transmission saved info

If you really need to download ubuntu USE pyLoad and get some http or ftp ubuntu link

Yes, I had to do exactly that. Finally got Ubuntu with utorrents on Windozzze.

Which optware packages are you running and how are your load/memory readings?
Also I am running r16994 (Aug 2011) build, am thinking about getting the FW(Jan 2013) suggested by you. Could I do an upgrade from the administration page with the bin file for the newer FW? Or do I have to put the router in restore mode and use ASUS utility?

Yes from administration page

But I suggest to select reset configuration since there. is long version difference and reconfigure from webpage

Ip. details I DdWrt page
USB enable and mount
startup scripts

removed samba2 using "ipkg remove samba2"

This is the output of my ipkg installed packages list:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 std (c) 2011 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 05/08/11 (SVN revision: 16994)

root@xxxxxxxx:~# ipkg list_installed
htop - 0.8.3-2 - An interactive process viewer.
ipkg-opt - 0.99.163-10 - The Itsy Package Manager
libcurl - 7.24.0-1 - Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
libevent - 2.0.20-1 - libevent to implement an event loop
nano - 2.2.6-1 - A pico like editor
ncurses - 5.7-3 - NCurses libraries
ncursesw - 5.7-2 - NCurses libraries with wide char support
openssl - 0.9.7m-6 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
psmisc - 22.13-1 - A set of some small useful utilities that use the proc filesystem.
tftp-hpa - 5.0-1 - A tftp package
transmission - 2.77-1 - Lightweight BitTorrent client and daemon, with web interface bundled.
uclibc-opt - 0.9.28-13 - micro C library for embedded Linux systems
vsftpd - 2.3.4-1 - ftp daemon with an emphasis on speed and security
wget - 1.12-2 - A network utility to retrieve files from the Web
xinetd - 2.3.14-11 - Highly configurable, modular and secure inetd
zlib - 1.2.5-1 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
Successfully terminated.

What can I remove here?
I am sure nano is not required since vi works for me just fine. I see vsftpd and tftp-hpa, are both required for basic file transfer using filezilla?
Yes and I removed USB drive mount from services-->USB, since I am explicitly mounting the /opt partition in the startup. Works just fine.
Load is now down to around 2-4%, but used memory is still 94%. I have only the /opt partition and no seperate /mnt partition since I used a different method of formatting. Now I was considering resizing the main /opt partition and making a new /mnt partition which would also be explicitly mounted through the startup script, but for some reason I cannot unmount the /opt. "umount /opt" or more explicit "umount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1" doesn't work.

My mount output is as follows:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
devpts on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /opt type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered)

Yes from administration page

But I suggest to select reset configuration since there. is long version difference and reconfigure from webpage

Ip. details I DdWrt page
USB enable and mount
startup scripts

Upgraded to FW 04.01.2013 (with reset); reconfigured everything manually. Resized the main partition(using gparted on Ubuntu 13.04) and added separate partition for /mnt.

Moved Torrents folder from /opt/data to /mnt/data --> corrected settings.json and S99Trans
now transmission doesnt start at startup, but when I run it from shell with same command as in S99Trans it starts and works just fine. I cant figure out why?
Also cant FTP into the router anymore, the list_installed is still the same but in ps I dont see the two processes vsftpd and tftp running. What went wrong here?

I am thinking of reformatting this USB stick again and keeping the /opt partition as ext2 and the /mnt as ext3. ext2 support is included in FW and I am using direct access method to load ext3 drivers. the reason for considering the /opt partition as ext2 is because the downloads will go to the /mnt partition and hence I can avoid journaling on /opt and maybe get some more performance out of it.

Upgraded to FW 04.01.2013 (with reset); reconfigured everything manually. Resized the main partition(using gparted on Ubuntu 13.04) and added separate partition for /mnt.

Moved Torrents folder from /opt/data to /mnt/data --> corrected settings.json and S99Trans
now transmission doesnt start at startup, but when I run it from shell with same command as in S99Trans it starts and works just fine. I cant figure out why?
Also cant FTP into the router anymore, the list_installed is still the same but in ps I dont see the two processes vsftpd and tftp running. What went wrong here?

I am thinking of reformatting this USB stick again and keeping the /opt partition as ext2 and the /mnt as ext3. ext2 support is included in FW and I am using direct access method to load ext3 drivers. the reason for considering the /opt partition as ext2 is because the downloads will go to the /mnt partition and hence I can avoid journaling on /opt and maybe get some more performance out of it.

1) For FTP

http://192.168.3.1/NAS.asp [From DD-WRT Router page Services \NAS , configure it for FTP and LAN share

what is ur new Startup config for Transmission

it should be similar
Code:
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon

My Memory usage is
Code:
            total        used        free      shared      buffers
Mem:        61924        56412        5512            0        1656
-/+ buffers:              54756        7168
Swap:            0            0            0
My Process LIst
Code:
root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt# ps
  PID USER      VSZ STAT COMMAND
    1 root      1700 S    /sbin/init noinitrd
    2 root        0 SW  [kthreadd]
    3 root        0 SW  [ksoftirqd/0]
    5 root        0 SW  [kworker/u:0]
    6 root        0 SW<  [khelper]
    7 root        0 SW  [sync_supers]
    8 root        0 SW  [bdi-default]
    9 root        0 SW<  [kblockd]
  10 root        0 SW  [kswapd0]
  11 root        0 SW  [fsnotify_mark]
  12 root        0 SW<  [crypto]
  24 root        0 SW  [mtdblock0]
  25 root        0 SW  [mtdblock1]
  26 root        0 SW  [mtdblock2]
  27 root        0 SW  [mtdblock3]
  28 root        0 SW  [mtdblock4]
  29 root        0 SW  [mtdblock5]
  30 root        0 RW  [kworker/0:1]
  251 root      796 S    /sbin/hotplug2 --set-rules-file /etc/hotplug2.rules
  292 root        0 SW  [khubd]
  302 root        0 SW<  [dwc_otg]
  315 root        0 SW  [scsi_eh_0]
  317 root        0 SW  [usb-storage]
  329 root        0 SW  [kworker/u:1]
  556 root        0 SW  [kworker/0:2]
  575 root        0 SW  [RtmpCmdQTask]
  626 root      900 S    dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf
  630 root      1152 S    telnetd
  672 root      1696 S    ttraff
  684 root      2240 S    startservice_f run_rc_startup
  686 root      1148 S    /bin/sh -c /tmp/.rc_startup
  689 root      1152 S    {.rc_startup} /bin/sh /tmp/.rc_startup
  850 root        0 SW  [flush-8:0]
1119 root      2828 S    httpd -p 80
1140 root      1764 S    resetbutton
1202 root      1692 S    process_monitor
1326 root      5556 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.
1327 root      5556 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.
1328 root      5556 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.
1329 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1342 root      5556 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.
1366 root      792 S    cron
1623 root      796 S    udhcpc -i vlan2 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcp
1626 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1627 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1630 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1632 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1633 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1634 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1635 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1636 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1637 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1638 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1639 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1640 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1641 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1642 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1643 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1644 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
1645 root    22672 S    python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py
2444 root      1168 S    -sh
2712 root      1604 S    proftpd: (accepting connections)
2715 root      2872 S    /usr/sbin/nmbd -D --configfile=/tmp/smb.conf
2717 root      3036 S    /usr/sbin/smbd -D --configfile=/tmp/smb.conf
2720 root      1152 R    ps

my startup config

Code:
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
sleep 3
echo "nobody:*:65000:65000:nobody:/mnt:/bin/false" >> /etc/passwd # Add nobody for samba share
echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/allow_restart # To avoid HDD spindown
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon
echo 128 > /sys/block/sda/device/max_sectors
python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py

Mount
Code:
root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt# mount
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=512k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
devpts on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /opt type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
/dev/sda3 on /tmp/mnt type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
/dev/sda3 on /tmp/proftpd/users/User/Ext_Store type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/proftpd/users/User/OPT type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt#

@RajeshJ

So you are using ext2 on /opt; I think I will do that too. But I am confused seeing your config; where are the ext3 drivers being loaded? I dont see them being loaded in the startup config that you have mentioned. Are you using some custom firmware that has inbuilt ext3 support?

I can see you mean I should enable proftpd from the NAS screen; before I upgraded to this version I had these two optware packages vsftpd and tftp-hpa installed. I did not have to enable proftpd from the NAS screen, and ftp still worked(with root login/pwd). I got speeds around 4-5 MBPS(excellent) for transfers to my hdd via filezilla and total commander. It just looks like they are not running anymore, they are still listed when I run "ipkg list_installed".

That brings me back to the transmission problem, I have the same exact command that you listed for transmission start in my S99trans, but apparently it is not getting executed at startup. I checked the attributes, it is +x, just to be sure, I "chmod"-ed it again.

I have similar memory usages as what you have mentioned, but I am not running pyloadcore or proftpd, and have only 1 torrent running on transmission and I have disabled traff.

Can you please run ipkg list_installed and tell me what modules you have loaded. I think I will format the USB stick again and start afresh with /opt on ext2 and /mnt on ext3.

thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Newer Firmware have ext2/ext3 [not sure about ext4] Driver inbuild without extra driver installation
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg list_installed
adduser - 1.10.3-1 - a multi-call binary for login and user account administration
busybox - 1.10.3-1 - A userland replacement for embedded systems.
busybox-base - 1.10.3-1 - A userland replacement for embedded systems.
busybox-links - 1.10.3-1 - A userland replacement for embedded systems.
bzip2 - 1.0.6-1 - Very high-quality data compression program
cyrus-sasl-libs - 2.1.23-2 - Provides client or server side authentication (see RFC 2222).
dtach - 0.8-1 - A program that emulates the detach feature of screen.
e2fslibs - 1.41.12-1 - Ext2 Filesystem Libraries
e2fsprogs - 1.41.12-1 - Ext2 Filesystem Utilities
freetype - 2.3.6-1 - Free truetype library
gdbm - 1.8.3-4 - GNU dbm is a set of database routines that use extensible hashing. It works similar to the standard UNIX dbm routines.
htop - 0.8.3-2 - An interactive process viewer.
ipkg-opt - 0.99.163-10 - The Itsy Package Manager
libcurl - 7.24.0-1 - Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
libdb - 4.2.52-3 - Berkeley DB Libraries
libevent - 2.0.20-1 - libevent to implement an event loop
libgmp - 4.3.2-1 - GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library.
libidn - 1.25-1 - GNU Libidn is an implementation of the Stringprep, Punycode and IDNA specifications defined by the IETF Internationalized Domai
libjpeg - 6b-3 - collection of jpeg tools
libpng - 1.2.44-1 - Portable Network Graphics Libraries
libsigc++ - 2.2.3-1 - libsigc++ implements a typesafe callback system for standard C++.
libtiff - 3.9.5-1 - Tag Image File Format Libraries
libtorrent - 0.12.6-1 - libtorrent is a BitTorrent library with a focus on high performance and good code.
libuclibc++ - 0.2.2-9 - C++ standard library designed for use in embedded systems
libxml2 - 2.7.8-1 - Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed for the Gnome project.
lighttpd - 1.4.32-1 - A fast webserver with minimal memory footprint.
lua - 5.1.5-1 - Lua is a powerful light-weight programming language designed for extending applications.
nano - 2.2.6-1 - A pico like editor
ncurses - 5.7-3 - NCurses libraries
ncursesw - 5.7-2 - NCurses libraries with wide char support
openldap-libs - 2.3.43-2 - Open Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
openssl - 0.9.7m-6 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
ossp-js - 1.6.20070208-1 - a stand-alone distribution of the JavaScript (JS) programming language reference implementation from Mozilla.
pcre - 8.31-1 - Perl-compatible regular expression library
psmisc - 22.13-1 - A set of some small useful utilities that use the proc filesystem.
py25-crypto - 2.1.0-2 - Python Cryptography Toolkit.
py25-curl - 7.19.0-1 - PycURL is a Python interface to libcurl.
py25-django - 1.1.2-1 - A high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design.
py25-mercurial - 1.9-1 - A fast, lightweight Source Control Management system designed for efficient handling of very large distributed projects.
py25-openssl - 0.10-1 - Python wrapper around a small subset of the OpenSSL library.
py25-pil - 1.1.7-1 - The Python Imaging Library (PIL) adds image processing capabilities to your Python interpreter.
pyload - 0.4.9 -
python - 2.5-1 - This is a package that sets up the default python.
python25 - 2.5.6-2 - Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language.
readline - 6.1-2 - The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
rtorrent - 0.8.6-1 - rtorrent is a BitTorrent client for ncurses, using the libtorrent library.
screen - 4.0.3-2 - A screen manager that supports multiple logins on single terminal
scsi-idle - 2.4.23-2 - SCSI disks and a daemon that spins down drives when idle - kernel patch needed for spin-up
spawn-fcgi - 1.6.3-1 - spawn-fcgi is used to spawn fastcgi applications
sqlite - 3.7.14.1-1 - SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained, embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine.
termcap - 1.3.1-2 - Terminal emulation library
tesseract-ocr - 2.03-3 - An OCR Engine
tesseract-ocr-lang-eng - 2.03-3 - An OCR Engine, eng language files
tftp-hpa - 5.0-1 - A tftp package
transmission - 2.73-1 -
uclibc-opt - 0.9.28-13 - micro C library for embedded Linux systems
unrar - 4.2.4-1 - unrar is an application that can decompress files and archives created using the RAR compression scheme
unzip - 6.0-2 - A (de)compression library for the ZIP format
vsftpd - 2.3.4-1 - ftp daemon with an emphasis on speed and security
wget - 1.12-2 - A network utility to retrieve files from the Web
xinetd - 2.3.14-11 - Highly configurable, modular and secure inetd
xmlrpc-c - 1.11.00-4 - A library providing modular implementation of XML-RPC for C and C++.
zlib - 1.2.5-1 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
Successfully terminated.
root@DD-WRT:~#

I have installed some package for Pyload GUI http/ftp web file downloader

All,
After having a smooth download for 4 months, troubles started.
Torrents working fine (with firewall workng) on laptop so no issues with ISP, (I was thinking that earlier).

Now, N13 is not able to download on DD WRT. Everything says - Tracker could not connect.
Removed Google DNS to Default ISP DNS
Enabled UPnP from QoS page.

Transmissions GUI shows just error as Tracker could not connect.
While web interface in firefox shows incoming port closed. I guess its incoming port issue only.
I was thinking that enabling UPnP will solve all port forward issue but still incoming port is closed. Can anyone guide please ?

@dinjo
I remember using & allowing incoming on 25000 long time back as per your tutorial. Do I have to allow any other port ? Seems incoming on 25000 is closed by ISP

@Praks
Let me know how it goes
Code:
iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 25000 -j ACCEPT 
iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 25000 -j ACCEPT

Are you using this same firmware? Cos I have upgraded to this version too. If this has ext3 support, then I am unnecessarily direct loading ext3.so in my startup.
Yes it does have ext3 support natively , dont need driver load in startup
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/01/13) std - build 21153

@Praks
Let me know how it goes
Code:
iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 25000 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 25000 -j ACCEPT

@dinjo

hi , transmission is working fine but i have a question ,

In addition to adding these firewall rules in DD-WRT firmwall , do i have to TURN firewall off in our ADSL ROuter we are using ? since if our adsl router alrdy blocked these ports ,

You must select UPnP -> Clear port forwards at startup in your router.

I wanted to edit the first post but the forum is not allowing me to do so.

Yes it does have ext3 support natively , dont need driver load in startup
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/01/13) std - build 21153

@dinjo

hi , transmission is working fine but i have a question ,

In addition to adding these firewall rules in DD-WRT firmwall , do i have to TURN firewall off in our ADSL ROuter we are using ? since if our adsl router alrdy blocked these ports ,

Works!! Now to take images again and format again, hopefully will get better performance with a fresh format and optware install.

You have around 50 packages running on the same hardware and here I was trying to save resources by removing nano out of my 16 istalled packages.

Guys,

After seeing this thread, i bought RT-N13U router and successfully installed optware and transmission.

First i configured this router as "Wireless Access Point" with Airtel Beetel 450tc1. Everything worked fine.After doing Port forwarding in 450tc1, Transmission also worked with out any issues.

Now, i changed my room so i have configured RT-N13U as "Repeater Bridge" with 450tc1 for extending wireless signal. Now transmission is not working, it's not even connecting to any peers.

I tried by editing port no in transmission settings and also did the port forwarding in 450tc1 but still it's not working

Please help me to fix this issue.

MY SETUP
-----------

INTERNET ---> 450TC1 (192.168.1.1) -------(Repeater Bridge)-------------------> RT-N13U (192.168.1.2)

Mount
Code:
root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt# mount
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=512k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
devpts on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /opt type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
/dev/sda3 on /tmp/mnt type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
/dev/sda3 on /tmp/proftpd/users/User/Ext_Store type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/proftpd/users/User/OPT type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt#

your /dev/sda1 and sda3 are both mounted as ext2 it seems.

My ext2 partition is auto mounted as "type ext2"
and ext3 partition is mounted as "type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)"

dmesg shows an error saying the /ext3 FS is mounted as /ext2 but doesn't state a reason. I am not so sure about the ext3 support of this firmware anymore.

Do you have resume support on your pyloadcore? this would require ext3 I think.

your /dev/sda1 and sda3 are both mounted as ext2 it seems.

My ext2 partition is auto mounted as "type ext2"
and ext3 partition is mounted as "type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)"

dmesg shows an error saying the /ext3 FS is mounted as /ext2 but doesn't state a reason. I am not so sure about the ext3 support of this firmware anymore.

Do you have resume support on your pyloadcore? this would require ext3 I think.
You mean resume paused downloads ? I am able to doit manuly from pyloadweb interface. Fordownloads from sites like meduafire or other resume supported sites

@dinjo, @axis.meister, @RajeshJ
Its been 8 days & I keep getting high CPU Usage with just 2 torrents. I used to download almost 5 at a time without any issues.
Friend of mine (TE user) suggested to reinstall other version of DD WRT.

Before I go ahead with 2 hours of work again. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with high CPU use & how to keep it normal.
Transmission GUI is used & ProFTP is used to transfer stuff. No other service (i.e. Samba etc) are used. Then why high CPU usage?

It starts normally but slowly within 15-20 minutes CPU load in N13 increases & reaches 100 then transmission stops working. Any help ?

Back