Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

Updated to latest DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) std
(SVN revision 22118) No issue [had no issue with previous Build also ]

with latest build , my startup script is lot cleaner

Guys, I've just received the router. This is how I want to configure it -
1. Follow steps on first page, and get DD-WRT running. Configure ext HDD and install Transmission
2. Then setup the router to access the Internet
3. Can I now install PS3MediaServer and stream the download content to my PS3? Don't want to switch the HDD between router and PS3.
4. Torrent administration over the Internet is possible?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Guys, I've just received the router. This is how I want to configure it -
1. Follow steps on first page, and get DD-WRT running. Configure ext HDD and install Transmission
2. Then setup the router to access the Internet
3. Can I now install PS3MediaServer and stream the download content to my PS3? Don't want to switch the HDD between router and PS3.
4. Torrent administration over the Internet is possible?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

You would need to first configure internet access, then transmission since the libraries are downloaded from the internet.

Torrent administration is possible, but ensure that you set a username and password AND ensure that the 9091 port is forwarded.

PS3 media server - I dont know - never tried DLNA on the N13.

Guys was planning to get this for someone who needs the usb port and DLNA to share videos/movies to WD player and LED TV . I can install the DDWRT for him but he is not a technical guy so few queries
Does NTFS formatted HDD work out of box after ddwrt flash or still ext3 partition is required on HDD for NTFS to be recognized
NO torrenting only shared HDD in the usb port and watching on TV or mobile or through WD live

Guys was planning to get this for someone who needs the usb port and DLNA to share videos/movies to WD player and LED TV . I can install the DDWRT for him but he is not a technical guy so few queries
Does NTFS formatted HDD work out of box after ddwrt flash or still ext3 partition is required on HDD for NTFS to be recognized
NO torrenting only shared HDD in the usb port and watching on TV or mobile or through WD live

The NTFS drives work OOTB with DD WRT, but you wont get DLNA :(

For DLNA, you will need to install the minidlna daemon which needs optware which needs ext3 partition.

Guys wrong thread to post this but I am trying to configure this router with my cable BB connection and I keep getting '2 or more wired connections detected' error, and won't go any further.

Using stock f/w, and using the utilities that came bundled on the CD. Using the WPS wizard to configure. Connected the BB connection jack to WAN port, and connected the LAN cable to LAN port of laptop and LAN1 on router.

My ISP has this MAC address binding thing, so any new h/w connected would require a MAC refresh. This is pending. I am not sure what's causing the issue.

I have purchased the asus n13ub1 from flipkart ....am on stock firmware but once in a day I get disconneted ...and then have to restart my router then all works fine ...is this a case of fault in hardware or software ??
I have tp link 740n as wds connected to it

Hi what do you mean disconnected?
No ping to. Asus router/ADSL modem
Or ping to router and modem fine but no net connections

What type of net r u using

I am using homenet broadband that is cable ka net
I usually use net connection from my phone ...
On phone is shows connected to internet ....but cannot open websites

Have a question or two about this router.
1- How does this offline (PC off) download thing work? Where the file will be saved?
2- Is it only applicable for Torrents and FTP or I can use to download via IDM too?
3- Some people say this is only a router without a modem. I currently use a DG834G, do I need to keep that along with this or only this'll do? Mine is a BSNL Wired Broadband connection.
4- If there are other routers, like this, which will be able to download all type of files without the PC being on kindly recommend me one. Really need one.

Thanks.

^^
1) it uses its own buggy software - download master. files are saved on USB pen/hard drive attached to the router.
2) and HTTP. no IDM as it doesn't run windows :p. download master handles the download queue.
3) it's just a router. so, if your connection requires a modem then you need to use a modem with it as well.
4) there are plenty. you can get any router that supports stuff like DD-WRT or Tomato.

Thanks a lot for your reply Gaurav. Now I understand.
Those other routers, could you please name one or two of them? And they are restricted with Torrent, HTTP and FTP too, nothing else?

^^
I generally refer to this list for devices supporting DD-WRT:
http://www.dd-wrt.co.in/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Supported_Devices
Though it's cumbersome to lookup this list against what's available in India. Routers with USB port have higher chances of supporting downloads with PC switched off, such as Asus N16.

Regarding restrictions: You are trying to compare protocols (P2P, FTP, etc.) with software (IDM etc). You can make any device to support protocols (p2p, http, etc.) but in order to support user interaction in the absence of a PC (master device), you need to have some sort of OS on that device. Some routers have minimalistic OS to host a GUI for download support. e.g., Asus N13 has its own OS and a software (Download Master) to handle downloading, in the absence of a PC.

Router has to stay up if one is downloading non-stop from internet. So, router manufacturers made it convenient for end users to include a download queue manager, on top of the router (or modem) functionality... and therefore PCs can be shut down once you set up the download queue.

There are dedicated torrent download devices which run software meant specifically for handling torrents (so, they'll have better download managers). Download Master from Asus has very less functionality (e.g., you can't choose specific files to download from a huge torrent). People flash their routers with DD-WRT which provides more functionality to an otherwise boring router (Asus N13). There are other routers with probably better download managers from Belkin, Buffalo, etc. Asus N13U ver B1 tops the list in India, maybe because it's the cheapest router that supports OOB downloading with PC switched off and also DD-WRT.

There are many other routers available in India that supports PC-off downloading but my knowledge is limited to only N13 and N16 from Asus. @blr_p is the walking encyclopaedia of networking/routers on TE :p. May be, he can provide a few more names.

Thanks once again Gaurav. I'll try contacting blr_p.
N13 is my router it seems. But I really took an oath that I'd never buy an Asus product again, let's see, if there's no real alternatives at that price range then I'd have to go with it.

1) I think my router wifi range is not good...Is there any way to increase the range?
2) Is it possible to access usb files (connected to router) in mobile? (Android)

Can someone please give me the dummies' guide to configuring this router with a PPPoE based cable BB? I just want to get it up and running on stock before even thinking of DD-WRT.

I've installed DD-WRT on my ASUS RT-N13U, and now as I've shifted to my new place I have to use it on repeater mode to get Wi-Fi in my room. I still want to use it to download torrents, can anyone tell me if I'll be able to download torrents on Repeater mode?

Back