Audio Audiophile and gears

Any suggestons for iems/earphones with mic for under 5k(and also under 10k)?
Looking for neutral or balanced sound, don't want excess/boosted bass or anything.
Will be using apple usb c to 3.5 as external dac.
Moondrop aria is a good choice under 10k.
Tin T2 plus is also a good choice, it will be around 4.5k or less on most sites.

True. A good cable will set one back by 1k. So total cost will come to 8.5k or 8k if one goes with kz replacement cables. Still, aria is a great choice under 10k.
Would the KZ cables fit, I have EDX/ZEX and thinking of Aria, I want something that has mic so can use for work purpose as well so could use the KZ cables as not using the EDX as much

Would the KZ cables fit, I have EDX/ZEX and thinking of Aria, I want something that has mic so can use for work purpose as well so could use the KZ cables as not using the EDX as much
Strong chance they will need some tinkering as both are different companies and the QC of kz is less than ideal. Ideally, they are both 2 pins so should fit on aria too. There is also blon replacement cable that you can check out.

Here's a brief summary of this Fiio K9 Pro -

Build

Absolutely amazing build quality. Brushed aluminum in a matte finish looks stunning.
Buttons 've got a good tactile feel too but they are very soft specially the slider buttons.
sometimes mistakenly it moves to high gain setting while I am adjusting to mid gain.
Volume dial is smooth without being loose. Volume knob has weight and premium feel it isn't as light and free like Fiio k5 pro.
Headphone/earphone jacks are placed at correct position (personal preference) without obstructing potentiometer.
Mains Power OFF button on back side is underneath the power cord jack which isn't the best position, power cord obstructs a little while turning OFF the unit.
Overall the device is sturdy and got some good weight.
Power cord supplied with the device is good quality but it's just 2-pin in a 3pin plug frame (EU connector).
USB cable provided with the unit looks cheap and low quality but it works good. It doesn't 've gold plated connectors or any premium feel.
I was expecting a better quality cable at this price point. Other accessories like 3.5 to 6.3mm connector and Bluetooth antenna are good.

Sound Impressions -
Like @rdst_1 once said, I also don't like excessive details and description full of audiophiles bible. So I am also not interested in typing a full page here.
Over years what I observed is - every brand has their own sound signature and all their devices represents the same, it's just variation in quality and components used.
A couple of devices or audio gear may differ unusually when company tries to do something new, that' s it.

Same is here with this Fiio K9 pro. It has good same fiio signature like Fiio K5 Pro, BTR 5 and other Fiio dacs and devices but it's just so much quality upgrade.
Overall it's balanced sound, transparent and detailed yet smooth and musical. Bass mids treble all sounds good, nothing emphasized.
If there's anything altered then it's slight hint of warmth or smoothness may be because of this AK4499 chip or chip's feature like velvet sound but I am not sure.
Instrument separation and imaging is just wow. Soundstage is wonderful, very good amount of breathability and airy feel. It's natural and doesn't feel like its artificially pronounced.
I am yet to try balanced 4.4mm port which will surely enhance channel separation.

I am not like a guy who needs 6 iems or 7 headphones to describe tonality or sound characteristics but it's still unfair to make judgement without using some high impedance headphones or balanced mode output.
Sound is subjective but 8 out of 10 people will surely enjoy this DAC, remaining two guys are those who leans either towards bright or dark sound.
The very first day when I received this unit I was so busy and forgot to install the software and was using windows Fiio WASAPI. Next day when I installed official software and switched to ASIO driver
it was noticeable difference.
Considering the sound signature, absolutely no no for bright to very bright iems or headphones like Beyers 880 990 and some AT's , I am using a bright headphone so I need to adjust a couple of DB's on equalizer or else it's fatigue and headache.
Synergically a balanced headphone or may be a little warm headphone like some sennheiser's will be a pleasant experience.

Power output:
Only tried Single ended 6.3mm port.

The volume dial start position is from 7:30 AM and moves all the way to max 5:30 PM.
Tried at Mid gain and used A700x headphones using USB input -
Anything audible starts roughly from 9AM (at all gain settings low mid and high) but it's barely audible.
Around 10:30AM on dial it's OK but still low sound. Good sound output is between 12:20-2:30PM (mid gain) now it's loud and fun and becomes extremely loud at about 4PM.
Depending on mood or sound it swings between 12:30 -3PM but with some old recordings or SACD's may need to push it to 4 or 4:30PM on dial.
High gain on 12:30PM is as loud as Low gain on 2:30PM but high gain adds weight and thickens the sound.
* Audio technica ATH A700x is a power hungry headphone.

Almost similar readings for fiio F9 pro earphones at low gain settings when compared with headphones at mid gain.

Power output is same for both single ended 6.3mm and balanced out 4.4mm/XLR upto 32ohm. So no more power upgrade when using balanced but surely it will enhance channel separation.
At 600 ohm balanced output power is almost 4 times of single out as mentioned in specifications.
I wish they'd used THX AAA but still it's a very capable amplifier for almost every headphone upto 600 ohms.
It's not as powerful like discrete amps from Topping like A90, SMSL and Schiit which are extremely powerful with more headroom but there's barely any requirement of such amplification power.

Optical/ coaxial/line in all sounded good. Just noticed low volume, like 40% less when line in input is selected, Tried feeding from Asus essence STX, Aorus x570s motherboard and Asus 5z mobile.
I can understand it's just a mobile but motherboard and STX card must be providing good 2 volts. No such volume drop was observed with Fiio k5pro.

@dissel as you were concerned with heat and temperatures. I can say this unit works cool and a little warm when using high gain or in long listening sessions. Nowhere close to hot.
* it's winter

Aune x7s was a little hot and k5 pro was coolest, graph is like this -

Aune X7s > Aune X1s pro > Fiio K9 Pro > Fiio K5 Pro , where X1S pro is like mild warm.

MQA and Bluetooth: I 've not tried MQA but most likely the issues discussed by fellow audiophiles must've been fixed now with a firmware upgrade. Currently running firmware ver 1.13

22.jpg

I am not a Bluetooth person and crave for quality with wires but this time Fiio k9 pro impressed me very much.
Only used with input from Asus 5z mobile and it was as good experience as wired may be because of LDAC codec or some synergical magic.
I wish it can be used as a BT transmitter too.

Conclusions -
Before any conclusion I must honestly admit that I am leaning towards Fiio though I am a AT fanboi. Leaning here doesn't mean biased it's just like I am liking and enjoying devices from this brand.
I was waiting for this K9 Pro since more than 6-8 months when it was announced and without much reviews or search for YouTube videos I purchased it.
why only k9 pro and what other items I considered ?
Fiio K9 pro impressed me as a DAC AMP combo. Overall a nice package for the price with multiple input outputs and features like Bluetooth, MQA, flagship AKM4499, good amplification, balanced dac etc.
Other items I considered were - Topping DX7 Pro, iFi Audio NEO iDSD, Matrix Audio - mini-i pro 3 and RME - ADI-2 DAC FS.
Rme is a different class DAC, costly and considering budget between 40-70k I dropped this moreover it' without any line in input. There was a sudden price hike with mini-i pro 3 like 10-15k jump and neo idsd was looking underpowered.

So finally compared it with DX7 pro.
* Fiio has more amplification power than DX7 pro both single and balanced out.
* It has line input whereas dx7pro doesn't.
* Fiio has more DAC output voltage i.e. 2.5V and 5V for single and balanced out respectively.
* Better build quality and looks, I'd read people complaining for QC issues with Topping.
* Recent item with a Flagship chip, DX7 is a bit old now.
* Fair Indian pricing Rs. 54990 for a US$ 700 item. DX7 pro is 650$ and headphone zone is selling it for 65k.
* Authorized Fiio India dealer available and more trust in Fiio than other Chinese brands (It may be just me).
Don't get me wrong I do like and appreciate chi-fi brands and iems as they are absolute vfm item.
2-4k to 12-16k iems and gadgets are good but always skeptical when spending more.
I also wanted to declutter the desk with just one unit dac amp combo , this is also a reason to consider this item.

No studio monitors or powered speakers here with me so not used DAC mode but I am sure it won't disappoint me. Even if they'd released the ESS 9038pro version first then also I'd purchased it.
It's not much about the chip but implementation and tuning. I must say if anyone is looking for a DAC AMP combo, should consider this item & once they release the ESS chip version it will be more vfm.
I just shared my 5-6 days of experience with this Fiio unit. It's too early to judge this unit without using DAC mode and without using other features but it won't take months to analyze things.
Whatever I've typed is my own experience, nothing sponsored or biased in anyway. and I am not a sound engineer, professional, youtuber or blogger. It's more like a layman's stuff than a review.
I've stopped critically analyzing audio devices and objective readings doesn't matter either, it's always subjective. Some audiophiles around the world must be still waiting for Amir's testing (the gentleman from audiosciencereview).
For me it's just simple, the moment you turn on any device either you like it or you don't, that's simple.
I am loving it.:)

Last edited:
Great Impression @Synth-Pop - Everybody who is able to experience this product has a similar reaction.

I think when the next batch that Fiio is able to import will be the ESS version with a price increment...unless the whole 2k stock gets depleted.
This AKM version is an absolute VFM Product from Fiio after a very very long time.

@Synth-Pop , thanks a lot for sharing your impressions. That is probably the most detailed and useful review, if I may call it, put together by anyone so far. You are missing the temperature graph though unless it WIP.
I am happy to inform that I also took the plunge but will have to see if this will eventually replace my Tone2 Atom stack.
Given the number of units, I doubt Amir will be able to review it anytime soon. But the subjective measurements would have helped given that the pre-production sample which was reviewed had too many issues.

Last edited:
Great Impression @Synth-Pop - Everybody who is able to experience this product has a similar reaction.

I think when the next batch that Fiio is able to import will be the ESS version with a price increment...unless the whole 2k stock gets depleted.
This AKM version is an absolute VFM Product from Fiio after a very very long time.

I don't know how far true is this figure of 2k AKM units but surely it's lesser quantity. The moment I ordered the very first day I got notification, it went out of stock at Fiio India.
We were expecting better pricing for ESS chip version but now you're suggesting it will me more than AKM. let's see what they 've got in store.

@Synth-Pop , thanks a lot for sharing your impressions. That is probably the most detailed and useful review, if I may call it, put together by anyone so far. You are missing the temperature graph though unless it WIP.
I am happy to inform that I also took the plunge but will have to see if this will eventually replace my Tone2 Atom stack.
Given the number of units, I doubt Amir will be able to review it anytime soon. But the subjective measurements would have helped given that the pre-production sample which was reviewed had too many issues.
I am glad you made a right decision. I was expecting, you're in a mood to buy and was waiting for a little insight or a review by someone before pulling the trigger.
But you got so excited and already made a purchase, I can see it's outoff stock now at theaudiostore. :p

Well your preliminary impresssion in the other thread actually helped. And yes looks like it was the last one in theaudiostore :).
You'll like it and surely it will replace your atom stack with clean and almost double amplification power.
I am getting addicted and 've no words to describe sound quality. It's so smoooooth and detailed with amazing channel and instrument separation.

We were expecting better pricing for ESS chip version but now you're suggesting it will me more than AKM. let's see what they 've got in store.

Yes, The ESS 9038Q2M x2 costs more than the Current AKM 4499 EQ because that is also the Flagship of ESS (confirmation under spoiler).....I was also under the impression that 9038 costs less but now I think Fiio Official talked about Budget offering will only be for ESS 9068 AS x2 version only a.k.a K9.

EcAE9l2.png

Also, the Line IN mode is less powerful is completely Normal.

SEIq2K5.png

Last edited:
Yes, The ESS 9038 EQ x2 costs more than the Current AKM 4499 EQ because that is also the Flagship of ESS (confirmation under spoiler).....I was also under the impression that 9038 costs less but now I think Fiio Official talked about Budget offering will only be for ESS 9068 AS x2 version only a.k.a K9.

EcAE9l2.png

Also, the Line IN mode is less powerful is completely Normal.

SEIq2K5.png
So, it means there will be only Fiio K9 Pro with AKM4499.
Other variant will be Fiio K9 with ESS 9068 AS x2.

Thanks for this quick official info regarding Line in power though I was aware it's normal, still it's a bit let down.

So, it means there will be only Fiio K9 Pro with AKM4499.
Other variant will be Fiio K9 with ESS 9068 AS x2.

No,

As soon as AKM Stock sold out, Forget about it.

ESS 9038Q2M x2 = K9 Pro (my guess 65 - 85k Indian pricing )

ESS 9068AS x2 = K9 (Budget Offerings...... my guess 39 - 45k Indian Pricing)

Last edited:
It's always great to see when a new offering lives up to the hype. Fiio has always had products which punch higher than what they cost. Wish you many happy listening sessions bro.
Will the newer versions have 2x 9038Q2M or 2x 9038 Pro. Q2M is quite cheap and is used in a lot of cheaper DAC/AMPS. I think even the K5 Pro has the Q2M. Shouldn't that version of K9 Pro be cheaper than the AKM version. Even my E1DA dongle has 9038Q2M and it cost just $100. Even the Topping D50s has 2x 9038Q2M and it only costs $250.

It's always great to see when a new offering lives up to the hype. Fiio has always had products which punch higher than what they cost. Wish you many happy listening sessions bro.
Will the newer versions have 2x 9038Q2M or 2x 9038 Pro. Q2M is quite cheap and is used in a lot of cheaper DAC/AMPS. I think even the K5 Pro has the Q2M. Shouldn't that version of K9 Pro be cheaper than the AKM version. Even my E1DA dongle has 9038Q2M and it cost just $100. Even the Topping D50s has 2x 9038Q2M and it only costs $250.

The newer version of K9 Pro comes with ESS 9038Q2M, not the 9038 Pro.

My first encounter with this DAC was Khadas Tone Board 1, Then Topping D50 (Dead Now), and recently with BTA30 Pro - This DAC is a detail retrieval monster.

Now the question about price, when that chip is available as low as at 9k, True when you buy only the DAC Chip.

For K9 you will get a (1) dead silence robust linear power supply (2) THX amp section with Fiio in-house sound signature (3) Tons of power to drive most power-hungry Headphone in balance mode (1.1 watts for 300ohm) in balance mode/port (4) Every standard input/output port (except i2s) for connectivity (5) and all standard features with Pre-Amp mode, DAC mode for further expansion (6) let's not forget about robust build quality.

Last edited:
The newer version of K9 Pro comes with ESS 9038Q2M, not the 9038 Pro.

My first encounter with this DAC was Khadas Tone Board 1, Then Topping D50 (Dead Now), and recently with BTA30 Pro - This DAC is a detail retrieval monster.

Now the question about price, when that chip is available as low as at 9k, True when you buy only the DAC Chip. (80k for Topping D90 SE)

For K9 you will get a (1) dead silence robust linear power supply (2) THX amp section with Fiio in-house sound signature (3) Tons of power to drive most power-hungry Headphone in balance mode (1.1 watts for 300ohm) in balance mode/port (4) Every standard input/output port (except i2s) for connectivity (5) and all standard features with Pre-Amp mode, DAC mode for further expansion (6) let's not forget about robust build quality.
This ESS 9038Q2M is a mobile chip. The detail retrieval may be monster but I'd seen class A amplification on Aune x1s pro made it sound warm, extra smoothened and rolled of treble.
The question is why companies using this chip only in 40K+ desktop devices ? just to cut cost.
If in newer version they are using this Q2M version then obviously it should be priced less.

Don't know the current pricing but afaik this ESS 9038 pro was costlier than AKM4499.
Now AKM may 've raised the price specially for this flagship chip but I think ESS 9038 pro may be about the same price, no clue just guessing. If so, they can use this 9038 pro instead of Q2M with near about same price.

This ESS 9038Q2M is a mobile chip. The detail retrieval may be monster but I'd seen class A amplification on Aune x1s pro made it sound warm, extra smoothened and rolled of treble.
The question is why companies using this chip only in 40K+ desktop devices ? just to cut cost.
If in newer version they are using this Q2M version then obviously it should be priced less.

Don't know the current pricing but afaik this ESS 9038 pro was costlier than AKM4499.
Now AKM may 've raised the price specially for this flagship chip but I think ESS 9038 pro may be about the same price, no clue just guessing. If so, they can use this 9038 pro instead of Q2M with near about same price.

The sole reason for using Q2M (20 USD) over the Pro (91 USD) version is Cost and Profit Margin only.....there is nothing else.

5ca3jLV.png

MSUNozX.png

Not sure any AKM variant is currently on sale anywhere.

About my experience with 9038 Q2M, Never own any Aune product till now so can't actually comment on the sound signature of it.

I pair Khadas Tone Board and Topping D50 with Fiio K5 Docking Amp and headphones I use extensively Senn HD598 SE, AKG 712 Pro, ATH MSR7, and occasional M50x.

Topping D50 + K5 Dock + AKG 712 Pro = Just Wow to me, Highly Detailed and Lush sound with no offensive sibilance.
On the other hand, Tone Board 1 is not so much wow but the detail retrieval capability there.

I think the difference is the implementation by the manufacturer....all that matters.

With BTA30 Pro + iFi Zen CAN + Senn HD 560s / 650 / Hifi DEVA = Experience is lower than Topping D50 but much better than Tone Board 1.
Though details are in there with every Q2M.

I can only imagine but this setup Topping D50 + K5 Dock + AKG 712 Pro must be really amazing.
I also own a ATH DSR7 but it's low volume and sounds tiny even on wired connection. Can use it only via USB no 3.5mm :(.
Obviously Q2M is detailed and a very good chip. I believe most of this flagship chip is just promotional hype irrespective of brand.
I mean it's good lab measurements wise but other cheaper chips are also good as their noise or distortion level is also beyond human hearing. It's just like critically comparing lab measurements only.
I'd never heard any noise or distortion on Aune X1s pro (9038 Q2M) even on full volume. No distortion noticed on k5pro (AK4493) though it became harsh and unbearable because of my bright headphones.

Back