Battlefield 3 - Discussion Thread

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
Just got home to find the key in my mail. One day later than promised but at least it arrived.

Downloading from Origin at full clip - should be done in 2 hours if it stays at the current speed.

See a lot of BF3 BETA servers running on Fragnetics but they are all showing empty. Is this some bug or what? Which server are you guys playing on?

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
dinjo said:
Go check the P2P section before telling anything on rules.The rules should be same for everyone which i really feel is not the same here to which I'm really disappointed.I asked whether you guys played with keys or :smile: its the same way whether this game works on CFW.

You either have rules or don't have rules.

:facepalm:

I cannot understand where have we broken rules. Could you point me to a specific case instead of highlighting the PS3/PSP JB thread? Merely pointing your fingers at that thread makes you look like a total retard.

Besides what was your intention of asking this post?

dinjo said:
So did you guys had the keys to play the beta or :eek:hyeah:

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Sep 14, 2009
Mumbai
1. From when did Private tracker went legal ?

Once you read this post delete it, since the issue is not handled in unbiased manner

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
I dont believe this.

The EA UK forums have several threads where people are having trouble binding the default mouse buttons. WTH?! :mad:

Even after the BC2 key/mouse config fiasco DICE doesn't seem to have learned a thing!

If AutHkey doesnt work, I wont be able play the game at all in its current form. :(

Why DICE cant release basic stuff is beyond me. So what if its a BETA? Surely its not rocket science to allow proper mouse/keyboard mapping.

And then they say the "primary focus for BF3 is PC"?! What BS....

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Sep 14, 2009
Mumbai
BF3 BETA Performance Preview

With no formal benchmarking tool and just using FRAPS in an empty server on the Operation Metro beta map, we observed the following:

Battlefield 3 BETA : Performance Preview, Screenshots and HD video walkthrough

CPU - Any modern quad core processor of at least 3.2GHz will not bottleneck the framerates in the game. The workload is evenly distributed between threads and more surprisingly, we did not see any noticable scaling when we upped the frequency or core count. Neat.

Memory Usage - The bf3.exe process used over 1GB of memory. Having at least 4GB of RAM and running a 64-bit operating system should take care of things.

GPU - We ran the tests using the latest beta drivers from both AMD (Catalyst 11.10 Preview) and Nvidia (285.38). This game absolutely scales with multi-core GPU setups and shaders count/clockspeeds. GPU usage during monitoring was hitting the roof at 99% for the duration of the testing - something that we haven't seen in recent (shoddy) console ports.

At 1080p Ultra settings (with everything graphics details set to maximum), we get an average of around 50fps for a single AMD 6970/GTX580, 80fps for a AMD 6990 (2 GPU crossfire) and 140fps for a AMD 6990 in Quadfire, which is actually quite similar to the one-year old Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on maximum settings. It also needed around 1.3GB of GPU framebuffer for the ultra preset textures. A side-by-side monitor test showed indistinguishable image quality from both AMD and Nvidia solutions (drivers at default settings), so we know that there is no quack3.exe foul play yet.

Source - Battlefield 3 BETA : Performance Preview, Screenshots and HD video walkthrough by VR-Zone.com

jc36lect3r

Skilled
Sep 5, 2009
The best part has to be BattleLog. Now I need to run a butt heavy browser in addition to the game, as if it was not heavy enough. I don't know where are they going with this. Why would I want to exit the game to change servers?

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
dinjo said:
Performance Preview, Screenshots and HD video walkthrough by VR-Zone.com[/url]

Same link and review was posted 2 pages ago by Ironhide. :)

Here are some more real world performance nos. for those interested (collected from a EA UK forum post) -

System Spec:

Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce GTX570 MSI frozr iii 850 clock

Processor: i5 2500k 3.3ghz stock

Memory: Kingston HyperX 8gb

Hard Disk: OCZ agility 3 60gb

Settings Used:

Resolution: 1920x1080 60Hz

Vertical Sync: OFF

Field Of View: 70

Stereo 3D: OFF

Graphical Quality: HIGH

Texture Quality: ULTRA

Shadow Quality: HIGH

Effects Quality: HIGH

Mesh Quality: HIGH

Terrain Quality: HIGH

Terrain Decoration: HIGH

Antialiasing Deferred: OFF

Antialiasing Post: OFF

Motion Blur: ON

Motion Blur Amount: 50

Anisotropic Filter: 16

Ambient Occlusion: HBAO

Resulting FPS: 63fps / 58fps / 90fps (avg/min/max)

System Spec:

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX275 @ core675/shader1487/mem1180 (nvidia BF3 drivers)

Processor: Intel i7 950 @ 3.9GHz

Memory: Corsair 12GB tri channel DDR3 1665

Hard Disk: OS on 60GB SSD - BF3 on 1TB Samsung F1 HDD

Settings Used:

Resolution: 1920x1200 60Hz

Graphical Quality: LOW

Texture Quality: LOW

Shadow Quality: LOW

Effects Quality: LOW

Mesh Quality:LOW

Terrain Quality: LOW

Terrain Decoration: LOW

Motion Blur: OFF

Motion Blur Amount: 0

Anisotropic Filter: 4

Ambient Occlusion: OFF

Resulting FPS: 47fps / 25fps / 63fps (avg/min/max)

System Spec:

Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce GTX560Ti SLi

Processor: i5 2600k 3.4ghz stock

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz

Hard Disk: (installed on) Western Digital 600GB VelociRaptor

Settings Used:

Resolution: 1680x1050 60Hz

Graphical Quality: ULTRA

Texture Quality: ULTA

Shadow Quality: ULTRA

Effects Quality: ULTRA

Mesh Quality: ULTRA

Terrain Quality: ULTRA

Terrain Decoration: ULTRA

Antialiasing Deferred: 2X

Antialiasing Post: 2X

Anisotropic Filter: 16X

Resulting FPS: 105fps / 80fps / 130fps (avg/min/max)

System Spec:

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX480 @ 800MHz/1600MHz

Processor: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz

Memory: 2x4GB DDR3 1600

Hard Disk: Crucial 60GB SSD SATA3

Settings Used:

Resolution: 1920x1080 70Hz

Field Of View: ?

Graphical Quality: Auto

Texture Quality: ULTRA

Antialiasing Post: MEDIUM

Anisotropic Filter: 16

Resulting FPS: 55fps / 45fps / 60fps (avg/min/max)

System Spec:

Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce GTX580SLI @ 855 clock

Processor: i5 2500k 4.5ghz

Memory: Kingston HyperX 8gb

Hard Disk: Crucial M4 128gb

Settings Used:

Resolution: 1920x1080 120Hz

Graphical Quality: HIGH

Texture Quality: HIGH

Antialiasing Deferred: x2

Antialiasing Post: x2

Motion Blur Amount: 40

Anisotropic Filter: 2x

Resulting FPS: 140fps / 80fps / 200fps (avg/min/max)

System Spec:

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX260 @ core700/shader1400/mem1200 (nvidia BF3 drivers)

Processor: Intel i5 750 @4.0GHZ

Memory: 4GB 2200+ g.skill

Hard Disk: 500GB Western Digital

Settings Used:

Field Of View: Default

Graphical Quality: LOW

Texture Quality: LOW

Shadow Quality: LOW

Effects Quality: LOW

Mesh Quality:LOW

Terrain Quality: LOW

Terrain Decoration: LOW

Motion Blur Amount: 0

Anisotropic Filter: 1

Resulting FPS: 43fps / 33fps / 57fps (avg/min/max)

Graphics Card: Sapphire 5850 Xtreme @ 750/1000 ~ 1.112V

Processor: i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz

Memory: 8GB 1333Mhz

Hard Disk: Samsung 1TB F3 spinpoint

Settings Used:

Graphical Quality: CUSTOM

Texture Quality: ULTA

Shadow Quality: ULTRA

Effects Quality: ULTRA

Mesh Quality: ULTRA

Terrain Quality: ULTRA

Terrain Decoration: ULTRA

Antialiasing Post: MEDIUM

Anisotropic Filter: 8X

Resulting FPS: 50fps / 40fps / 60fps (avg/min/max)

Reactions: 1 person

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
I consider my system "low" end - one of the configs mentioned above (with the GTX260) is very similar to mine (I have a Q6600 and not an i5 750@4 Ghz) so I'm going by what the user posted.

According to the user, his system gets an 43 fps avg. with most things on LOW at 1080p.

Running at a lower res with more things turned up (to MED) will possibly be the best bet for low end systems.

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
Really frustrating experience with the controls. Worse, you cant change any key bindings unless you're actually in game and connected. Really weird. Add to this the fact that a LOT of keys cannot be re-assigned no matter what you do.

I don't understand how Dice can release even a BETA in this state. Really disappointing and personally UNPLAYABLE for me. Installed the game 2 hours ago, managed to get into one server, went to a corner and tried to change a key - got promptly knifed. Why one cant change key assignments offline is simply baffling. Or is there some way to do it? And whats with the stupid external game browser?

Luckily I'm not alone. Theres a 16 PAGE thread on the official forums on key binding issue specifically.

You WASD guys are really lucky everything works the way you want by default. :(

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Sep 14, 2009
Mumbai
I consider my system "low" end - one of the configs mentioned above (with the GTX260) is very similar to mine (I have a Q6600 and not an i5 750@4 Ghz) so I'm going by what the user posted.

According to the user, his system gets an 43 fps avg. with most things on LOW at 1080p.

Running at a lower res with more things turned up (to MED) will possibly be the best bet for low end systems.

Omg gtx 260 turns to low end I'm ashamed to have a.gts 250 and c2d

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
@dinjo

Some bad news for you then. I found the frame rate poor even at 1360x768 with shadows set to low, bloom off, motion blur off and other options set to either low or medium.

Maybe its the outdoor area of the Rush map that causes it? Not sure as I wasn't in the game very long.

My spec FYI -

Q6600@3Ghz, BFG 260GTX OC Maxcore, 4 GB Ram

@Aman

Play? You're kidding right? I couldn't even MOVE for the first 10 minutes. Went through the official battlelog forums and fixed that problem (was only possible thanks to the Death Adder's custom mouse override setting) only to find that other key binds I (along with PLENTY of others) use are IMPOSSIBLE to set.

Result? I cant even zoom/aim down scope at all because the game refuses to remove the default binding! Its disappointing they released the BETA in such a shoddy state.

At least in BC2 one could manually edit the config. Here you cant do anything....

memnom

Adept
Nov 21, 2006
@Guys, i have a question that needs some clarification.

Should i buy BF3 only for the MP?

I got into online FPS like 3 weeks ago [Battlefield Play4Free] and its absolutely wrecking my life. And im getting pawned like crazy.

so apart from the SP campaign is this game worth buying for the MP? or i should stick with free 2 play games for now and once i get better get BF3?

P.S on an kinda unrelated note, if a master/overlord/guy-with-5.1-K:D-ratio here can share how to not get pawned in an online FPS it would be great.

Hades.

Skilled
Aug 23, 2010
@memnom

You can also use grenade launcher to pwn Pros aswell as noobs... And you would become a pro too if you would play the game everyday for 3 to 4hrs minimum... And once you will get addicted to the game, 3 to 4 hours would be peanuts for you... :p

I used to get pwned too but after playing BFBC2 for so many hours i end up on 2nd rank in most matches... And my K/D ratio has increased from 0.50 to 0.98... :)