Best power supply units

Sorry to bump this up but this thread has been very useful. What would you guys suggest for a Haswell pentium H81 based system with 3 HDDs & a Radeon 7790? Looking to stay under 4k so my options seem the CX430v2, Antec VP550P or the S12ii 430W. Any inputs?

IIRC, it requires PSU of around 450W. Out of mentioned 3, Seasonic one is better one. However I feel you should keep some headroom by going with higher wattage PSU. So for that purpose Antec VP550 will fit in your budget.

Last edited:
No idea what variant is being sold here, since Asia supposedly got the 520 non C i.e. modular, but all Indian retailers list it as 520C i.e. hardwired cables. In any case, both are Seasonic S12II based with the same poor quality of capacitors AFAIK.

Maybe if you can get your hands on an Antec Neo 520, you can let us know whats being sold here :)

No idea what variant is being sold here, since Asia supposedly got the 520 non C i.e. modular, but all Indian retailers list it as 520C i.e. hardwired cables. In any case, both are Seasonic S12II based with the same poor quality of capacitors AFAIK.

Maybe if you can get your hands on an Antec Neo 520, you can let us know whats being sold here :)

http://www.eteknix.com/antec-neo-eco-520w-semi-modular-power-supply-review/4/
this suggests Nippon Chemi-Con caps made in japan.

Links to reviews + pics of internals with Su'scon caps highlighted below.

Antec Neo Eco 520C : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=317192
Bc2RkR5s.jpg

Antec Neo Eco 520 non C : http://www.eteknix.com/antec-neo-eco-520w-semi-modular-power-supply-review/
I4TXODEs.jpg
Sorry but he's incorrect, I don't know if you can see it but you can just about make out that the side of the cap says Su'scon. Unfortunately most of the caps in the secondary look to be the same brown colour.
Just for confirmation, here's one of the Antec Neo Eco 620 non C with the same Su'scon caps :
XWRoy0qs.jpg

Primary is a Nippon CC cap, Japanese. Secondary is not. Primary is responsible for hold up and initial ripple suppression, mainly line input. Secondary caps are indeed lower quality, those are responsible for output ripple.

There is a tradeoff between cost, power output and platform performance. You cannot have all three. The Eco series compromises performance to hit a higher power output number at a low price.

I don't know why a thread titled 'Best xyz' has cheap and compromised products being recommended. Has the meaning of the word 'best' changed over the years?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/best?s=t&path=/

Have ordered an s12ii 430 off Ebay for 37xx - just a correction on the antec warranties though. They are 2+2 years - the added 2 are when you register the purchase with antec india website.

Links to reviews + pics of internals with Su'scon caps highlighted below.

Antec Neo Eco 520C : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=317192
Bc2RkR5s.jpg

Antec Neo Eco 520 non C : http://www.eteknix.com/antec-neo-eco-520w-semi-modular-power-supply-review/
I4TXODEs.jpg
Sorry but he's incorrect, I don't know if you can see it but you can just about make out that the side of the cap says Su'scon. Unfortunately most of the caps in the secondary look to be the same brown colour.
Just for confirmation, here's one of the Antec Neo Eco 620 non C with the same Su'scon caps :
XWRoy0qs.jpg

thanks for pointing out :)

Primary is a Nippon CC cap, Japanese. Secondary is not. Primary is responsible for hold up and initial ripple suppression, mainly line input. Secondary caps are indeed lower quality, those are responsible for output ripple.

There is a tradeoff between cost, power output and platform performance. You cannot have all three. The Eco series compromises performance to hit a higher power output number at a low price.

I don't know why a thread titled 'Best xyz' has cheap and compromised products being recommended. Has the meaning of the word 'best' changed over the years?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/best?s=t&path=/

the word meaning has not changed. there are lower wattage psus fanless design, platinum certified etc but with a higher price of-course. they may be the best, but cant be suggested within a very limited budget where wattage(with decent quality) is more important than efficiency. a compromise i think :)

Then they don't need to be discussed in this thread.

There are enough recommendation threads, and a specific question for buying queries.

Got a Seasonic platinum 1000W for my primary rig after my thermaltake tough power started giving starting issues. Can't say I'm not impressed - superb build, 7 year warranty, excellent regulation and ripple suppression, dead silent, very low power consumption - the power monitor in my Smart UPS 1500 VA shows 11% usage at idle and 23% at load with the main PC and dump server both attached to it.

Highly recommended if you can afford it

Last edited:
Removing the Antec VP550P from the list. It's been replaced with a new VP550P V2 variant now, and I'm unable to figure out what caps they're using in the PSU.

On a side note, I noticed Antec is also making the same mistake of bundling an EU 3-pin plug instead of an Indian 3-pin. So if you happen to pick up an Antec, do check whats in the box and buy a replacement cable if its not the correct one.

I want to replace my trusty old VX450. But not a single quality 450w available in India? No Seasonic G or X series, no CM VS series, only Corsair CS and RM available, but both have less warranty and not very highly recommended... :confused:

^ If you're just looking for a replacement for the VX450, you could get the similar S12II 430/520. If you're looking for an upgrade, you will need to bump up to 550W models (because the Indian mentality is that we need more watts if we're paying more) like the G-550. You would need to wait though, apparently it's out of stock.

^ If you're just looking for a replacement for the VX450, you could get the similar S12II 430/520. If you're looking for an upgrade, you will need to bump up to 550W models (because the Indian mentality is that we need more watts if we're paying more) like the G-550. You would need to wait though, apparently it's out of stock.
I'm thinking of 550W too, but I want to go modular this time. G-550 is available to me locally, but as you've said in the chart, it's overpriced. If it was 1k less, I'd have bought it instantly. Only other option I could find is CS550M, which looks like decent unit with good efficiency, fits my budget too, but only 3 year warranty and (according to reviews) has lower quality components. There's S12G 550w, quality unit with 5 year warranty, but it's non-modular. So, I guess I'll have to stick with VX for a little bit longer.

You could add Antec TP550C to the list! Seems like a great unit with Gold efficiency & 5 year warranty. Apparently based on G-550.

Btw, is the newer HX650 Gold worth the price? I've read many people complaining about chirping sound which was not present in older Bronze model. Anybody here have any experience with newer Gold model?

Last edited:
You could add Antec TP550C to the list! Seems like a great unit with Gold efficiency & 5 year warranty. Apparently based on G-550.
Oh yes I saw it a couple of days back too and was pleased to see they're doing justice to the TruePower name again. Its actually based on the S12G - the non modular version of the G series. Same for the TP-650C and TP-750C too. Pricing looks a bit more competitive than the Seasonic pricing.
Unfortunately I'm not able to edit the list and quite a bit has changed, but for now a mention in the thread should do :)

Btw, is the newer HX650 Gold worth the price? I've read many people complaining about chirping sound which was not present in older Bronze model. Anybody here have any experience with newer Gold model?
Haven't checked on complaints. But the HX650 gold was based on the Seasonic G-650. While it was available it was a better buy than the equivalent G series because of Corsair's no questions asked replacement policy. Unfortunately it has been discontinued.

Back