Car & Bike bike under 80k - 90k

I have heard from my colleagues who are Bajaj users that apparently the silencer begins to wear off 'normally' after 2 years, and it needs to be replaced.

agantuk said:
I have heard from my colleagues who are Bajaj users that apparently the silencer begins to wear off 'normally' after 2 years, and it needs to be replaced.
happened with my Avenger.

@OP, possible to up your budget by 20k and get the R15 ?

It feels so great to be in between Pulsar haters :) :p

Whenever some one asks me for an advice on buying a bike,i say them leave bajaj bikes apart and select any1 according to your comfort level and ride requirement.

Then they wud hit back with a question why not pulsar ?, it has got all the features,digital odometer,LED backligts, and that too at a lower price than others.

I reply them with, why don't u get a micromax,maxx,orange,lemon bla bla cell. Why don't u prefer these cells over nokia,sony,samsung ? They have got all the features at half the price . This shuts them up :p

Avenger is a different class of bike.. its a cruiser... low in height... I personally dont like my knees to be bent while touching the ground.. Good bike though.. But as said earlier, its a bajaj bike... cant trust the durability of engine and parts...

i never gave the list , its just the bikes that came to my mind that time ,

plus what if we compare honda unicorn ,Karizma r sports and muscle hunk {2011} model ?????

princeoo7 said:
i never gave the list , its just the bikes that came to my mind that time ,

plus what if we compare honda unicorn ,Karizma r sports and muscle hunk {2011} model ?????
All 3 bikes are good, depends on ur requirements, avg. milleage you wud demand , and the riding conditions.

If u r looking to ride ur bike mostly on highway go for Karizma ( i wud prefer ZMR over R sports).

If u use for city ride then Hunk/Unicorn will be ok.

I seriously feel Honda should revamp Unicorn and present it in a better way. especially the leg position of rider,digital odometer and other improvements.

One more reason i forgot to mention, not to go for Pulsar, the malfunction of digital odometer after 6-8 months and the LED lights fuses quickly.

Most of us would have noticed that, half the LEDs fused and rest working OK and it looks so odd. :rofl:

princeoo7 said:
so who are Hunk & Unicorn on their to speed and what is the top speed for respective ???
you are querrying top speed of Unicorn and Hunk ? Hope i get u right.

Hunk -easily 110, never tried to go beyond that.

Unicorn-Learnt from my friend , it reached 100-105 odd easily.

ramanujpatro said:
Super crap bike with worst possible engine , performance and maintainance.
Tomorrow micromax,lemon,maxx etc will come up with a adv. saying we sell 5 times that of NOKIA/SAMSUNG. Wouldn't u guys laugh.:p
Sorry but you are just making mindless statements based on nothing but thin air. Pulsar is THE most successful bike ever in India.
Coming to the engine and performance part, my 4 year old, 40,000 KM done pulsar 180, still performs like it used to, engine has had no problems what so ever, gives me steady mileage of 30kmpl and is ripped very hard every single day, the pulsar 220 is the most VFM bike.
and yeah the hunto ad is very funny and lame, i really liked the stuntmania commercial which was banned.

@Prince, test drive the pulsar 220 and the FZ16/fazer and then decide, what you want, raw power or looks and refinement, IMHO apart from these bikes there is no other bike worth buying, unless you are looking at desh ki dhadkan.
You can also stretch and get the R15, or a used one also, amazing bike.

viz. In 1000 pulsars, 100 pulsars work perfectly, then whats the use.. ^^ Your pulsar was one of 100.... No hard feelings for your bike. Your bike will continue to work flawlessly...But pulsars are el-cheapo bikes.

Just get the pulsar 220 and feel the POWER.... bajaj bikes are not as unreliable as everyone here is making out,last month i completed a 1000km road trip (which included riding on hilly roads and maintaining 100+ on national highway) on my 4 yrs old pulsar 150 and it didnt give any problem whatsoever in the entire trip or after the trip, with pulsars you just have to make sure that you get it serviced at the regular intervals instead of waiting for problems and your bike will work just fine even after many years of usage :)

chiragsthakur said:
viz. In 1000 pulsars, 100 pulsars work perfectly, then whats the use.. ^^ Your pulsar was one of 100.... No hard feelings for your bike. Your bike will continue to work flawlessly...But pulsars are el-cheapo bikes.

Only 100 in a 1000 Bajaj bikes work perfectly? Where did you get that number from? Do you have any (credible, verifiable) source?

Bajaj is not some small-time Chinese bike dealer. Talking about them in that sense is counter-intuitive.

Bajaj eyes 25 percent share in bikes market this year

Bajaj eyes one third market share over next couple of years

It's almost like people can't imagine Indian-designed-and-built bikes being anything but unreliable. Grow up guys! Bajaj is making very high-quality bikes these days! And at what prices! Their image of consistent low reliability is simply not valid anymore...

Let me also share a small tidbit of a story at this point: One of the major reasons for me moving away from the Unicorn was a riding instability that it had developed a few months after I purchased it. Whenever the bike went through a bad pothole, it would, for a little while, sway from side to side for no discernible reason. No amount of complaining at official and unofficial service centers could get this fixed - which led me to believe that there was some sort of manufacturing issue with my Unicorn. However, this didn't make me jump to the conclusion that Honda, as a whole, is unreliable. I was merely very unlucky.

People's horror stories cannot ever be equated to empirical evidence of low-reliability on Bajaj bikes - because of the nature of horror stories. They spread and gain traction faster than good ones. Has anyone here seen hard data that shows Bajaj bikes, on a whole fail (partly or otherwise) significantly more than other brands?

If anyone can post links (or proof otherwise) here to that effect, I will gladly agree with them that the O.P. should avoid the Bajaj brand like the plague. If not, I shall remain of the opinion that the P220 is the greatest VFM buy under 1 lakh. However, I'll also say that the the Honda CBR250R would be a better choice if money can be scrounged up from somewhere.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that the Bajaj-hate in this thread is very similar to the sort of Apple-hater's hate that one sees when the Fruit brand is brought up in any discussion? Because if that is the case, then there's no point discussing Bajaj is there? There's no rhyme or reason to that kind of hate.

I am having Pulsar 180 and i dont have any problems with it...Well and it has clip on handle bar as compared to FZ.Also the vibration thing is gone from new engine as it was in previous generation pulsars.Bike runs smooth.

But at the end of the day it comes to personal choice.You need to see your interest and what pleases you after you drive different bikes.To each his own.

wao man u get 40 on a rx eh ??

chiragsthakur said:
yup.. sorry for the mistake... but nonetheless its more powerful than hunk as written earlier...

@agantuk : My bike is a 1998 model. Twelve years My father and me have been riding my bike almost daily (excluding holidays). My bikes' mileage is 35 to 40kmpl... Top speed achieved 104kph.. 500ml 2T oil is needed in every 1 and half month.. each month bike travels almost 1000km (if only office trips are considered). No maintenance whatsoever... Gem of a bike.. Power is felt on yamaha rx135.. Sorry to praise my bike, but cant help :hap5:

Thread OTd alert !!

@chirag you can count another one. I own two pulsars 150 and 220 Fi model. 150 is more than 5yrs old and driven around 20k kms. It still gives me 45kmpl and about maintenance cost i haven't spent much on brake shoes, couple of liners and some gears in meter got worn due to rain water..umm that's all i can remember. In all haven't spent more than 2k. :hap5:

And afaik bajaj has cheapest spare parts isn't it?..

Have got the 220 dtsi-Fi recently (2nd) so can't comment much on that except for the power :D.

pulsar 220 is a good bike if you have enough time for maintenance. else you can go for karizma r with extreme comfort and min 7 years of honda trouble free engine life.

Back