BSNL 3G Thread

I bought Huawei E156G(3.6mbps D/L) 6months ago for 3800/- and using since then, desecrator have huawei E160G(3.6mbps D/L) and when I talked to the local CS last time, they said 3.6mbps data card are not offered now so u will get 7.2mbps data cards now. I heard that new Huawei models(~7.2mbps) have slightly better signal reception and speed when compared to 3.6mbps couterparts.

1.5k for upto 3 Mbps+ Unlimited, this is really owsum :hap2:

Best part would be no issues when travelling to Mumbai as there too it will work on MTNL 3G :)

@Supra

So you have finally given up on 2G SIM/3G network thing and got a 3G SIM ? What plan you are using ? I still have that 2G SIM card of yours and it is just lying in my bag and used in worst case scenario when my airtel network does not work and need to make some urgent call.

I hope now Tata Photon and all should also reduce their prices(although their technology is different but speeds claimed similar).

Best part is i guess if BSNL sets a lower benchmark for the pricing of UL 3G plans, other new entrants like Airtel/Vodafone will have to price it at similar or lower prices.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Aman27deep said:
What speeds shall one expect when he gets a 3G connection from BSNL?
Upto 3.6 Mbps as company claimed, but you can very well get between 1.5 to 2.5 Mbps
I have used it and can vouch for their service. :)

Yea.. i get steady 200KBps often.

Even when my range is wavering. i mean full range is there.. but the tower keeps switching. between 3 towers always

Unfortunately I live in such a location where I hardly get BSNL network:no: So only alternative left for me is to stick with the good old L/L based BB:) I have tried EV-DO by putting the Device out side my room window and got this signal some how:( But this plan attracted me a lot. Once 'm out of my Den I get good network. So planning to go for it:D

Attachments

• My EVDO Speed.jpg
    My EVDO Speed.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 247
  • My EVDO Skin.jpg
    My EVDO Skin.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 257
which 3g modem you guys are using? i have shorlisted the Huawei E122 (3 Branded) - rated speeds of 7.2/2 UL . it has an external antennae connector , are there any other models available with antenna connector?

I would suggest to get the Huawei E1750 from ebay :)

torrents not working great when i used, since i cant do port forwarding. Also RS/MU/HF kind of sites downloads also wont work most of the time due to shared IP given by bsnl 3G. Hence i opted out from 3G :(

I dont know what nfsnfs meant by that :p...Current EVDO Rev 0/A is a CDMA 2.5G tech whereas BSNL 3G is a 3.5G GSM HSPA/HSDPA implementation. Its as different as CDMA Handset and GSM handset

@ Rakrules ---- I will share a good trick with you.....gimme a call anytime :p....for the starting how is the 3G signal in your area (Pune)...if you get full signal in Nokia 5230 with no fluctuation at all even inside house....easy to get 1.8~2.2 mbps DL and 300-350 kbps UL

@nfs--- Its the BSNL ZTE AC8700...already you have an external antenna....just put a CD on top of the antenna...it usually helps things. Also get a long 2 m good quality USB cable from Belkin and place it at a higher height near window. helps quite a lot with speed. Also there is one way bu which an antenna trick works with a wire.Just google for BSNL EVDO antenna signal trick

Supra said:
easy to get 1.8~2.2 mbps DL and 300-350 kbps UL
WTF? :O You get so much with the 3G?

Supra, I have a few questions IYDM. What connection do you have at home? Is it an unlimited connection? What rates have you been paying per month? Was the processing of paper work easy and quick? What all documents do BSNL ask for getting a connection - asking this since I do not have any other ID proof apart from the PAN card. (Damn passport expired and I did not bother with renewing it either. My room-mate has one though.)

Might as well switch from the UL 512kbps Youtele connection I have ATM. :|

All I know is the USB modem is pretty finicky about the location. :ashamed:

Supra said:
@nfs--- Its the BSNL ZTE AC8700...already you have an external antenna....just put a CD on top of the antenna...it usually helps things. Also get a long 2 m good quality USB cable from Belkin and place it at a higher height near window. helps quite a lot with speed. Also there is one way bu which an antenna trick works with a wire.Just google for BSNL EVDO antenna signal trick

thanks supra . I have CD already in there:eek:hyeah: . Does help a bit ,but not much .Putting a 2 meter USB cable is not possible now ,since my window is alteast 10 feet far and i cannot pull a straight line wire in middle of room .:ashamed:.

So was thinking of getting a dedicate antenna of ebay ,if that helps.

BTW what 3G plan are you in ?

How much was dongle you purchased from ebay ?

WTF? You get so much with the 3G?

Here is the speedtest :p

http://www.speedtest.net/result/958233973.png

Supra, I have a few questions IYDM. What connection do you have at home? Is it an unlimited connection? What rates have you been paying per month? Was the processing of paper work easy and quick? What all documents do BSNL ask for getting a connection - asking this since I do not have any other ID proof apart from the PAN card. (Damn passport expired and I did not bother with renewing it either. My room-mate has one though.)

The BSNL 3G unlimited I got last week only....before that was using 1 GB day + 5GB night for use in my Nokia 5230. Have BSNL ULF 900 4 Mbps upto 8GB with 400 free calls as ADSL permanent connection. For any BSNL connection for local address proof you will need the rental agreement or BSNL landline bill/DL

@ nfsnfs, I left EVDO some 11 months ago so if I remember correctly it was SMA type connector but u should confirm it in the internet. I found BSNL Flat Panel Patch antenna(824-894Mhz) working for me so u can borrow from ur friends(BSNL used to give this antenna in remote areas with WLL, I borrowed too).U can my post i.e.,5th post in this thread for BSNL EVDO.Boost your signal with Home-made Antenna!!!

U can see it worked for some ppl.

Back