BSNL 3G Thread

deep16 said:
albeit there is no such difference to a home user in between a sim and a usim,, there are some cryptological(security) and storage advancements in a usim but particularly nobody gets much benifit out of them...

in terms of attainable speed there is "no" benifits in using a usim.. same spd can be attained using a regular sim also...
The Difference Between 2G & 3G SIM Cards | eHow.com

this article says otherwise..

Constant Internet Connection

Unlike 2G, 3G technology uses Internet Protocol (IP) connectivity which is packet-based. This means that using devices with a 3G SIM card are always connected to the Internet.

Although it does not provide any citation to this claim.

I read through a couple of wikipedia pages related to this and although didn't understand much, i think that USIM might make a difference when it comes to UMTS/HSPA networks.

Wikipedia said:
USIM (Universal Subscriber Identity Module) is an application for UMTS mobile telephony running on a UICC smart card which is inserted in a 3G mobile phone. There is a common misconception to call the UICC itself a USIM, but the USIM is merely a logical entity on the physical card. It stores user subscriber information, authentication information and provides storage space for text messages and phone book contacts. The phone book on a UICC has been greatly enhanced. For authentication purposes, the USIM stores a long-term pre-shared secret key K, which is shared with the Authentication Center (AuC) in the network. The USIM also verifies a sequence number that must be within a range using a window mechanism to avoid replay attacks, and is in charge of generating the session keys CK and IK to be used in the confidentiality and integrity algorithms of the KASUMI block cipher in UMTS. The equivalent of USIM on CDMA networks is CSIM.

Subscriber Identity Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will upgrade, or atleast try to :), and post back here if the connection issues persist.

Do i need a a specific/Micro sim to use the Ipad 3g data plan or any normal BSNL 3G sim would work with the 99 top-up for 1 day Unlimited plan?

in short, will the 99 ipad plan work on normal 3g sim?

red dragon said:
Anyone here using the Rs.270 GPRS 6gb pack?
Is your question... Anyone here using the Rs.270 GPRS 6gb pack and getting 3G speeds :p

In that case there were people who were initially getting it but now not possible. BSNL seems to have restricted the speeds of people using 2G GPRS plans on 3G network to 256kbps or so.

Similarly docomo has capped to 128kbps.

Hi guys,
This is my first post here! I am a IT guy with interests in road cycling. Based in Bangalore, Kundalhalli/brookfields area. I am looking for 3G datacard. Have almost finalized BSNLs 7.2Mbps one. As 3G is highly area dependent, would like to know if anyone from this area is around. I used a BSNL 3G simcard on my N82 and got speedtest results of 1.42Mbps and 0.72Mbps at around 11am.
1292298091.png
the N82 supports upto 3.6Mbps only. from the details posted by fellow users i see speed of around 2-3Mbps. Should I check anymore details/twiks before buying the datacard?

Thanks,
Akshay

I have suddenly started facing an issue dialing BSNL 3G connection. I am using Mobile partner currently and it is able to dial the connection properly and that enables me to use the net properly.

But off lately i have been using the CiDial 2.3 application more (have used this before too but rarely) so that it can reconnect if the line drops. It does its work fine and hence my torrent downloads are never interrupted.

But since today i have started facing issue with this application. I am getting error as follows

A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed For further.....

disconnecting....

Error 668 - Hangup - RasHangup

The connection was terminated

Disconnected

This cycle then repeats.

I am not able to connect through standard windows dialer too :S

What seems to be the issue.

In short, connection through only Mobile partner is possible.

yeah thats true , I have similar things ,but sometime giving re-boot or some time period to both machine & modem , it works like fine :S
almost all people's 6th month UL is going to dry up nearby & stupid BSNL still not showing any signs for re launch of such UL plans .:clap:

Guys,

Has anyone tried making/receiving video call to any 3G enabled phone using 3G USB modem?

Can someone please explain the setup?

P.S.: I have Huawei UMG1831 which supports Video call but not voice call.

From this weekend i will be starting to use my other laptop with windows 7 in it and BSNL 3G for net access. I remember that there was mention about some USB issue with windows vista / 7 machines wherein the USB would sleep / stop responding etc when net is connected and this would cause 3G disconnection.
Also for this there was some patch file which fixes this USB issue.
Can anyone here point me to the file that i will need to download for Windows 7 ultimate 32 Bit machine and also to what exactly that problem is ?
I guess there is nothing like that for windows XP as i never faced issue with my current laptop.

^^Ok will try that but still any direct link to that software / fix etc will be appreciated :)

Btw also please enlighten me about the actual problem that is caused with windows vista / 7 machines ?? :huh:

It is problem with usb mechanism. Nothing specific to windows 7 or xp. I guess earlier hi speed modem were not designed for usb. Hence they have a patch file.

My plan exipres in 2 days, thinking of using 2G plan till I find some good alternative. any idea about the speed on 2G (GPRS). I know we are no longer getting 3G speed for 2G recharge but are the speeds given on 2G enough for atleast normal browsing?

swap said:
My plan exipres in 2 days, thinking of using 2G plan till I find some good alternative. any idea about the speed on 2G (GPRS). I know we are no longer getting 3G speed for 2G recharge but are the speeds given on 2G enough for atleast normal browsing?
Well if you keep your modem/mobile in 3g mode then you get decent browsing experience. switch it to gprs/edge and things will get worse. Though you will be locked to edge speeds even in 3g mode.

I migrate my sim 2G to 3G yesterday, Now what will i do, Can i buy data voucher separately and voice voucher separately?

Is the data voucher recharge available in all stores? or buy it only on BSNL office. In the online there is no HDFC payment gateway in payment section. Is there any alternative way to buy the recharge coupons in online.

I am bit confused where will i start.

Back