BSNL 3G Thread

onlyravi

Godly Modly...
Skilled
Mar 13, 2009
Pune
multi said:
umm , finally BSNL sent me message "Your unlimited DATA Pack is valid until 21/05/2011" :(
I will also get a message like this soon.....

Mine will end on June 17 :(

The worst thing is I have not even connected it once for the last 4 weeks.... Finally gave it to a friend today to use and download.... as I am too busy with office work to even switch my pc on at home :(

I dont think any such plan will come again ... not atleast in the near future...

Jaago BSNL Jaago !!!

onlyravi

Godly Modly...
Skilled
Mar 13, 2009
Pune
RS4 said:
MTNL and BSNL will soon synergise their operations and function as a single entity,this means better 3G rates and broadband plans for all the bsnl customers in india :)

Pending merger, MTNL-BSNL asked to synergise operations: DoT - Economic Times

Dont want to cross you blindly mate but this could very well go the opposite way...

Indian Govt is just adamant on destroying every public company.

They first fingered BSNL (broke in to BSNL and DOT) with all the cream going to DOT and BSNL workers were just given the lollypop of IPO.

The condition today is that neither govt is recruiting permanant employees for BSNL nor are they getting the bonus and health facilities that were showered before.

More and more work is shifted to the PPP and contract base firms.

MTNL is a richer brother of BSNL when it comes to corporate standard and functioning. (Though capital wise its smaller).

With this merger the Govt just wants to disturb the balance between MTNL and BSNL and create a havoc with some stupid new policies. Later they will blame the BSNL and MTNL for this. The Govt will earn from pvt firms and earn so heavy that they wont mind sitting in the opposition for next 5 years to digest that money.

swap

Disciple
Dec 12, 2006
My 3G party is over my plan expired yesterday.
Did a 2G recharge of 270 which gives 6GB for a month for tensting, used it for couple of hours and so far pretty satisfied with the speed. Havent downloaded anything but as far are browsing goes speed is good. I am connecting with my E122 in 3G mode.
Checked balance after using for some time and the traffic is deducted for my 6GB balance.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Everyone here who have got their plans expired or are going to expire should now opt for the MTNL 3G unlimited plan from either Mumbai or Delhi and continue the 3G Party. :)

750 Rupees a month for UL 2Mbps (probably MTNL has capped speeds).

rad0

Adept
Jan 20, 2011
Bangalore
multi said:
i hope some new minister from dmk joins & give us good plans

:rofl::p
swap said:
My plan exipres in 2 days, thinking of using 2G plan till I find some good alternative. any idea about the speed on 2G (GPRS). I know we are no longer getting 3G speed for 2G recharge but are the speeds given on 2G enough for atleast normal browsing?
Currently using 2g-270 plan (6GB), speed clocks to 200+( speeds improving WB region) and browsing experience is awesome :D

rad0

Adept
Jan 20, 2011
Bangalore
raksrules said:
Is your question... Anyone here using the Rs.270 GPRS 6gb pack and getting 3G speeds :p

In that case there were people who were initially getting it but now not possible. BSNL seems to have restricted the speeds of people using 2G GPRS plans on 3G network to 256kbps or so.

Similarly docomo has capped to 128kbps.
Nopes !! I get 3G speed on my HSPA+ device :bleh::p on a 99 GPRS plan

onlyravi

Godly Modly...
Skilled
Mar 13, 2009
Pune
ramanujpatro said:
Nopes !! I get 3G speed on my HSPA+ device :bleh::p

I am too getting full 3G speeds with the 98 recharge of 2GB GPRS. But I just think its a matter of time they check this and correct this.

Anyways how much useful that 3G speed will be if the data volume is capped at 2 and 6 GBs :)

rad0

Adept
Jan 20, 2011
Bangalore
wecaz said:
Guys,

Has anyone tried making/receiving video call to any 3G enabled phone using 3G USB modem?
Can someone please explain the setup?

P.S.: I have Huawei UMG1831 which supports Video call but not voice call.
Will update u in a couple of days. Even i have a UMG 1831 :)
Voice call is not possible as of now :( Waiting for a proper firmware update

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
^^Yes there may be possibility of people getting 3G speeds on 2G plan but that is just a matter of time. For ocassional browsing, FB mail check and light downloading or using in mobile for maps access etc this is good but for heavy downloading (like i am currently doing....12-13GB per day) it does not make much sense.

Enjoy your speeds till they last :)

rad0

Adept
Jan 20, 2011
Bangalore
raksrules said:
^^Yes there may be possibility of people getting 3G speeds on 2G plan but that is just a matter of time. For ocassional browsing, FB mail check and light downloading or using in mobile for maps access etc this is good but for heavy downloading (like i am currently doing....12-13GB per day) it does not make much sense.

Enjoy your speeds till they last :)
I enjoyed 274 unlimted for a couple of months but then the speeds were capped to 128kbps.

Speeds were capped at 128 for a couple of months . But the day next ,when 274 was taken back and 270 limited plan was introduced the speeds went back to normal 3G speed.

And i guess the move was intentional , to attract gprs users who were moving to other pvt. operators.

And yeah 3G is certainly not for heavy downloading as people perceive it to be. Conventional cable is reliable compared to present 3G plans and service :)

As far as BSNL 3G is concerned, i feel they can get back the old 700 a month plan and put a cap of say 30Gb. As per my view goes,the day isn't far away when most people would be using a standard 3G phone and would love to stream videos. 30 GB would be good for such a deal :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sabby said:
@m-jeri,

is it wireless ? If yes then ISP n plan please :)

@ramanujpatro
Are you using 2G SIM or 3G SIM ?
ya using a 2G sim !!

wecaz said:
Guys,

Has anyone tried making/receiving video call to any 3G enabled phone using 3G USB modem?
Can someone please explain the setup?

P.S.: I have Huawei UMG1831 which supports Video call but not voice call.
The experience was not that great, i was able to make a video call from UMG1831 (with Mobile Partner) to Nokia E series device( probably E71).
But Mobile partner stopped responding when i tried to disconnect the call.
A upgraded Mobile partner might improve the experience, i would recommend you to try it on a Xp system and post reviews.

jaleel_sh

Disciple
Nov 2, 2008
I got BSNL 3g connection in chennai at last week, I had Nokia 5800. I used 3G only in mobile, not in pc. I didn't get the speeds uniformly. 30 seconds i had a 3g signal, if i open a browser, the signal drops and convert to Edge signal, and the signal also drops very much.

Is it problem on my mobile, or is it normal for 3G. My friend also had Nokia N8 with airtel 3G(trial period). But he get good speeds in indoor and outdoor. He downloads a song from OVI music in 15-20 secs. But my download time takes more long, sometime it takes 5 minutes.

I can't identify what is the problem. Most of the time i get low signals in chennai. Is there any apps or to get a enhanced signal.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
^^Probably the area where you intended to use has poor BSNL 3G coverage. But one thing you can still try is that you force your phone in 3G mode (UMTS) and then see. I am suspecting that earlier when the 3G signal dropped from certain threshold it would switch to EDGE but now if you force to UMTS then it wont switch and even in 1 Bar 3G will work. But in worst case if there is very very poor signal then expect complete blackout.

ramanujpatro said:
And yeah 3G is certainly not for heavy downloading as people perceive it to be. Conventional cable is reliable compared to present 3G plans and service :)
I too agree that wired connection is better for reliability compared to wireless but for me i had no choice. The place where i live in Pune has absolutely no wired connection and i cannot get a BSNL broadband as it will involving taking landline and this place is rented and not own.

smnrock

Skilled
Apr 9, 2009
ramanujpatro said:
As far as BSNL 3G is concerned, i feel they can get back the old 700 a month plan and put a cap of say 30Gb. As per my view goes,the day isn't far away when most people would be using a standard 3G phone and would love to stream videos. 30 GB would be good for such a deal :)
Today, BSNL karnataka came with such a plan 4200/6 month, but only difference is 6 GB/month instead of 30 GB :p

jaleel_sh

Disciple
Nov 2, 2008
[quote name='raksrules']^^Probably the area where you intended to use has poor BSNL 3G coverage. But one thing you can still try is that you force your phone in 3G mode (UMTS) and then see. I am suspecting that earlier when the 3G signal dropped from certain threshold it would switch to EDGE but now if you force to UMTS then it wont switch and even in 1 Bar 3G will work. But in worst case if there is very very poor signal then expect complete blackout.

Very thanks raks, I really forget to changed my mode to UMTS, but i thought that "Both" in network is very usable for 2G and 3G network. After i changed to UMTS, the speed is very good. Thanks man.