BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the prithvi modem works with most wifi routers. I have tested it with TP Link and it works seamlessly without any issues.

I had tested it on 2 of their 3G routers and it worked. I think I tested it on 3020 and 3040 versions and it worked.
Usually all routers that sell in India will have compatibility with BSNL modems and if not you could request them to add the modem driver file and you could add new modems by updating the file on the router.(not firmware upgrade) but its usually add new modem bin and you could make the modem compatible.

My Sierra 595U stopped working. I hadn't used it for few weeks and today when I connected it, it wasn't powering on. No LEDs. :(

So I opened it and found that there is some damage to the PCB. Not sure how it happened. Seems like it was due to over heating. :confused:

Check the pics. There is a detachable module (mini PCI?), not sure whether we can attach it to a laptop. Any ideas?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363432113628.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363432113628.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 196
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363432233777.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363432233777.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 200
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363432459309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363432459309.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 203
try cleaning it with ethyl alcohol and then retry connection .[DOUBLEPOST=1363435054][/DOUBLEPOST]whoops it looks damage ......you can attach it to laptop if the mini pci is not locked to a particular card

My Sierra 595U stopped working. I hadn't used it for few weeks and today when I connected it, it wasn't powering on. No LEDs. :(

So I opened it and found that there is some damage to the PCB. Not sure how it happened. Seems like it was due to over heating. :confused:

Check the pics. There is a detachable module (mini PCI?), not sure whether we can attach it to a laptop. Any ideas?
That seems a permanent damage . You can use the Mini pci card in laptop . I have it in my laptop , no issues . Dont forget to attach the antenna cable

Damn !! that looks like over heating for sure. Try cleaning with ethyl alcohol as suggest by Haider.
And it is PCI Express Mini Card embedded module. i think @kuduku has tried it previously in his Dell Laptop.
Has anyone tried to setup 595u with RT N-16 ? I am on latest shibbys mods and it is not working.
Log says no 3G modem found. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
whoops it looks damage ......you can attach it to laptop if the mini pci is not locked to a particular card

I have only one mini-pci slot on my laptop (HP 6510b) which is used by the wireless adapter. So I removed it and attached the Sierra module, but the laptop doesn't boot.
I guess only the adapters white listed in the BIOS will be supported as you suspected.[DOUBLEPOST=1363437301][/DOUBLEPOST]
That seems a permanent damage . You can use the Mini pci card in laptop . I have it in my laptop , no issues . Dont forget to attach the antenna cable

Doesn't seem to work for me. :(

Did you have an extra mini-pci slot? And was it automatically detected once you plugged it in? Drivers?[DOUBLEPOST=1363437682][/DOUBLEPOST]A very bad day for me, my UMG181 3G modem stopped working (SIMs not getting detected) so I thought of using the Sierra and even that is dead! :( Can't find my BSNL EVDO RUIM so can't use it on my ZTE 8710.

Right now using a Reliance CDMA RUIM on the ZTE 8710, only 1x! :(

yes you need a modded bios not worth the trouble. HP and lenovo laptop generally have locked bios for wifi and wwan cards . try taking the pcb to a mobile/laptop repair shop

Damn !! that looks like over heating for sure. Try cleaning with ethyl alcohol as suggest by Haider.
And it is PCI Express Mini Card embedded module. i think @kuduku has tried it previously in his Dell Laptop.
Has anyone tried to setup 595u with RT N-16 ? I am on latest shibbys mods and it is not working.
Log says no 3G modem found. :(
yes tried , if you go back 2/3 pages in shibby 3G thread i had posted all the required info and everything buy couldnt make it to work . If you get it to work please tell me also[DOUBLEPOST=1363488342][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have only one mini-pci slot on my laptop (HP 6510b) which is used by the wireless adapter. So I removed it and attached the Sierra module, but the laptop doesn't boot.
I guess only the adapters white listed in the BIOS will be supported as you suspected.[DOUBLEPOST=1363437301][/DOUBLEPOST]

Doesn't seem to work for me. :(

Did you have an extra mini-pci slot? And was it automatically detected once you plugged it in? Drivers?[DOUBLEPOST=1363437682][/DOUBLEPOST]A very bad day for me, my UMG181 3G modem stopped working (SIMs not getting detected) so I thought of using the Sierra and even that is dead! :( Can't find my BSNL EVDO RUIM so can't use it on my ZTE 8710.

Right now using a Reliance CDMA RUIM on the ZTE 8710, only 1x! :(
Yes I have an extra mini pci slot . My WIFI card slot is different and also have msata slot whose physical connections are perfectly same to mini pci . I have 3 slots WIFI , msata and WWAN mini pci . It was automatically detected and drivers were installed as i had Sierra watcher installed . Whats your laptop model . Try to to search for the modded BIOS if available . The mini pci boots fine in my WWAN slot of Lenovo but like yours doesnt boot in WIFI slot of Dell laptop . So confirm whether your WIFI slot will take WWAN mini pci card . Generally it doesn't .

@kuduku This is the reply i got on shibbys forum.
connect.chat script is setup for a gsm modem. Unfortunately, the tomato firmware doesn't give any way through the ui to edit the chat script. The only way I got my Sierra 598U to bring up a ppp connection was to disable wan, edit the connect.chat in /tmp/ppp and start pppd manually. It brings up ppp0 and then you manually have to add the routes.

@kuduku This is the reply i got on shibbys forum.
connect.chat script is setup for a gsm modem. Unfortunately, the tomato firmware doesn't give any way through the ui to edit the chat script. The only way I got my Sierra 598U to bring up a ppp connection was to disable wan, edit the connect.chat in /tmp/ppp and start pppd manually. It brings up ppp0 and then you manually have to add the routes.
Might try it on a holiday . Will have to backup present router state . Dont want to mess up my shares if this doesnt work out

Anyone experiencing low speed since past 10 days(preferably in East Zone)? My speed has drastically reduced since last some days. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back