BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
@varkey - update! I have a friend who uses the old ZTE connection, so today we went to the BSNL Office and from there we were asked to go to BSNL EVDO department where all EVDO matters are handled. So we finally reached there and its a bit away from the main office. So the person incharge took the number (that he uses to recharge) of ZTE and then checked the ESN of the new modem. He then said wait for some time. Finally he came back and said in some time the modem will begin working as he has updated the ESN in the database against the friends connection. Now I just connected and it works fine without any issue. My friend is happy now that he has REV.A connectivity as earlier the ZTE was having REV.0 connectivity. So I have now given the modem to him as its working fine for him

Good that BSNL was willing to add the ESN in your area. Anyway you could have achieved the same by updating the ESN of Sierra to match the other.

Coming back to the discussion - Hence, I again state - like the official told me - its not possible to tie a RUIM number to a specific ESN and hence its not possible to transfer / configure RUIM based to non RUIM based. He said if its non RUIM based its easy to tie a specific ESN to that number and once that matches the modem would start working. He said that now the old ZTE wont work as the ESN has been removed against that number and thats not working.

I am not sure if someone who has got a RUIM based connection has managed to configure it on a non-ruim based modem and if one has successfully done so I would like to know how because as per my meeting and discussion its theoretically not possible!

Why so? The RUIM number is already tied to an ESN. Are you still claiming that in case of an RUIM, ESN is not applicable? :facepalm:

Quoting my own post

The part about not able to convert from a RUIM connection to a non-RUIM connection strictly depends on BSNL's capability. Reliance CDMA for instance, you can easily switch both ways without any issue.

Please enlighten me and others here why its theoretically impossible for an operator to swap the ESN for an RUIM based connection but can be done for non-RUIM connections. You can easily do it for Reliance CDMA by visiting a Reliance World store and yet you claim its not even theoretically possible?
If BSNL can update the ESN for a particular non-RUIM connection, I don't see why it can't be done. But anyway as I said earlier, it depends on how its setup on BSNL's side.

Last edited by a moderator:
@cisco_tech
Everything is possible if only your local BSNL people co-operate with you. they can add RUIM's IMSI and Sierra's ESN to the database. it is simple as that. and connection should start working.
Well like I keep telling, the BSNL official told me its not atall possible at their end to do it. He said only non RUIM based to non RUIM Based can be done. If he was not willing to test he would not have even shifted the ZTE connection to this modem.

@varkey
Why so? The RUIM number is already tied to an ESN. Are you still claiming that in case of an RUIM, ESN is not applicable?
I am not claiming anything. What the official told me I am just mentioning it here.

I am not wanting to argue but I have just been asking one thing - if any RUIM based number has been configured on a non-RUIM based modem let me know how it has been done. Till now all examples have been of non-RUIM based numbers. No one has successfully configured a RUIM based number on a non-RUIM based device. If one has done so I would like to know how its done.

Because after my meeting with the official I am made to believe that RUIM based connections have all the info stored in the SIM / RUIM so in a database there is no specific ESN attached to that number. Hence the principle on how RUIM works is a bit different than a non-RUIM based one. In case of non - RUIM a number is tied to a specific ESN so that the connection validates / authenticates and then connection becomes active, while the same is not the case with RUIM / SIM based numbers.

@prtk
In BSNL everything is possible . I took one new postpaid connection straight on Sierra ESN after JTO confirmed to sales guy . There is no process per say of adding an ESN . No form or detail instructions are required . Its as simple that , when they allot a new mobile number on your name they also fill in the esn number in their software . That esn can be of anything ZTE , sierra , ZTE AC30 anything .
THATS ALL IS REQUIRED FOR ADDING SIERRA ESN TO BSNL DATABASE .
Believe me as I have myself filled the details in my second prepaid connection . Due to my contacts they allowed me to use there software to program it . Second BSNL EVDO connection was prepaid directly on ZTE AC30 ( Verizon Fivespot ) .
Both times i did not give any ZTE esn and then transfer my connection to new devices . In new application form I gave esn of the devices . Thats all

Secondly there is no such thing as BSNL database of all ZTE based modems . If they have ever used it then its esn would be found on system otherwise nothing shows up .
For your info when a new esn based connection is given ,after allotting a new or empty phone number then esn search is done . Meaning esn which you gave is searched whether its being used anywhere . If it was ever used ( even if disconnected now ) it would show in that mobile number history . It is released from there and given to you(your number ) .
If it was never used prior on BSNL network it shows accordingly and they fill in esn number in your information
Thats is all what is registering of esn in BSNL network .

When you say all ZTE esn are in BSNL server because for testing they activated it thus esn is already in system . So it just needs to be transferred and released . This is even when you buy a brand new ZTE modem . BSNL has to configure it first .
As varkey said BSNL do not do this as they dont know how to do it . If I sell my Sierra to you it will show in BSNL network/form for new connection tied to my closed/working EVDO connection . Then the BSNL guy has to release it to add to your number .
Hell i even tested EVDO on my Palm Pixi . So even that esn is in BSNL servers .
For your RUIM query Each RUIM also has a esn number and other login strings . BSNL allows both esn and RUIM unlike TATA which authenticates on MEID which is far more difficult to duplicate or play with .

BSNL can also make your device ESN FREE . meaning -- any device which is programmed with your login string will work . Even 100 devices with different esn but same login string will be working . They use it for detailed testing .
Another thing each BSNL circle has a uniform login id and password fed into device to check it for issues . BSNL guys dont go and look for username and password each time they tinker with a device . In my circle its 123 username and password . Its works when you are in that circle and not in roaming as roaming guys will have a different common username and password .
Finally i will just repeat what varkey said RUIM can be made to work on non sim that is esn based devices
@varkey and @cisco_tech

@cisco_tech

Well like I keep telling, the BSNL official told me its not atall possible at their end to do it. He said only non RUIM based to non RUIM Based can be done. If he was not willing to test he would not have even shifted the ZTE connection to this modem.

@varkey

I am not claiming anything. What the official told me I am just mentioning it here.

I am not wanting to argue but I have just been asking one thing - if any RUIM based number has been configured on a non-RUIM based modem let me know how it has been done. Till now all examples have been of non-RUIM based numbers. No one has successfully configured a RUIM based number on a non-RUIM based device. If one has done so I would like to know how its done.

Because after my meeting with the official I am made to believe that RUIM based connections have all the info stored in the SIM / RUIM so in a database there is no specific ESN attached to that number. Hence the principle on how RUIM works is a bit different than a non-RUIM based one. In case of non - RUIM a number is tied to a specific ESN so that the connection validates / authenticates and then connection becomes active, while the same is not the case with RUIM / SIM based numbers.
Thats what we are also saying that RUIM also has a ESN which we put on any esn based device . So thats how it works . People have done this and updated in this thread itself . Search and read the thread you will get your answer
Can you tell what appointment is your BSNL guy ? Only JTOs are knowledgeable guys in BSNL[DOUBLEPOST=1369134765][/DOUBLEPOST]In USA CDMA operators give you the option of changing ESN of you mobile number by going in MY ACCOUNT settings . You can change handsets everyday . Their the setting are updated or downloaded in set through OTA . BSNL was also panning to launch the OTA thing but its under the rug as BSNL employees dont want to learn another thing of maintaining OTA . Then OTA has to be updated with all ESN and login strings . BSNL even tested this in many circles without advertising it .

@prtk
In BSNL everything is possible . I took one new postpaid connection straight on Sierra ESN after JTO confirmed to sales guy . There is no process per say of adding an ESN .
THATS ALL IS REQUIRED FOR ADDING SIERRA ESN TO BSNL DATABASE .

Secondly there is no such thing as BSNL database of all ZTE based modems .

BSNL can also make your device ESN FREE . meaning -- any device which is programmed with your login string will work . Even 100 devices with different esn but same login string will be working .
Finally i will just repeat what varkey said RUIM can be made to work on non sim that is esn based devices
@varkey and @cisco_tech

Ok thank you for the detailed response. Well like I said I am not arguing with anyone or trying to find mistakes, but its like what I have heard and experienced.

Like I said, BSNL said I need to buy a Non_RUIM based new connection and I could run then run it on any modem like you say Sierra, ZTE or any other modem. So while you purchased and talked to the JTO he might have given you the Non_RUIM based connection itself and hence you had no issues.

I never said BSNL database of all ZTE based modems. What I said is that for each NON_RUIM based number you buy from BSNL they will add a corresponding ESN number to their database. That ESN number can be of any modem that you have Sierra, ZTE or any other modem. They will check device ESN and register it along with your NON_RUIM number. Once they add that number your connection will work without any issue.

I doubt if you can run 100 devices with different ESN. Each number and ESN are registered and as soon as the ESN is removed from their database the modem stops working. Like I mentioned in my earlier post as soon as the new modem began working the old ZTE modem stopped working.

Hence, given all the above I still stick to my stand that its really difficult to make RUIM based connection work on a NON_RUIM based modem. I am not saying its impossible, but given the facts I have not come across anyone who has successfully configured a RUIM based connection on NON_RUIM based connection. All examples provided till now are all NON_RUIM to NON_RUIM and like I said that will work without any issue.

@hayabusa_ryu Try recharging with low amounts. When I asked the local recharge shop guy to recharge my connection wit Rs.800 this month, he tried multiple times in two days but the recharge just would not go through. Then he tried a recharge of Rs.500 & Rs.300 and these went through.

By the way, in which city are you located?

Same login can be made to run on different devices having different esn but it can be avoided by the carrier also. BSNL doesnt take security as a major issue and hence users are able to do this.

Ok thank you for the detailed response. Well like I said I am not arguing with anyone or trying to find mistakes, but its like what I have heard and experienced.

Like I said, BSNL said I need to buy a Non_RUIM based new connection and I could run then run it on any modem like you say Sierra, ZTE or any other modem. So while you purchased and talked to the JTO he might have given you the Non_RUIM based connection itself and hence you had no issues.

I never said BSNL database of all ZTE based modems. What I said is that for each NON_RUIM based number you buy from BSNL they will add a corresponding ESN number to their database. That ESN number can be of any modem that you have Sierra, ZTE or any other modem. They will check device ESN and register it along with your NON_RUIM number. Once they add that number your connection will work without any issue.

I doubt if you can run 100 devices with different ESN. Each number and ESN are registered and as soon as the ESN is removed from their database the modem stops working. Like I mentioned in my earlier post as soon as the new modem began working the old ZTE modem stopped working.

Hence, given all the above I still stick to my stand that its really difficult to make RUIM based connection work on a NON_RUIM based modem. I am not saying its impossible, but given the facts I have not come across anyone who has successfully configured a RUIM based connection on NON_RUIM based connection. All examples provided till now are all NON_RUIM to NON_RUIM and like I said that will work without any issue.

I disagree, RUIM based connection does work on non_ruim modems. You just need to write the XXX to whatever device you are planning to use. I have a BSNL RUIM sim, which i have tested on multiple non-ruim modems of Sierra. Along with this i have also tested on CDMA phones. Both voice and data worked on the phone. The XXX that comes with the RUIM does not change. As long as you use the same you would be able to use it with any non-ruim device.

Edited post to remove content ...

These days BSNL is doing lot of publicity for its EVDO connection and the unlimited plan. I have heard their advertisements couple of times on radio in Bangalore. God only knows what will happen to the speed. As there is no investment in infrastructure and upkeep. But they are hellbent in increasing the user base and selling, unlimited 3 Mbps connections.

Is anyone facing problems with Facebook on BSNL EVDO?
For some strange reason, it shows me the login page. But when I login, the page keeps on loading but does not fully load. Only the top bar loads. The page content does not load.

All other websites are working fine.

I disagree, RUIM based connection does work on non_ruim modems. You just need to write the XXX to whatever device you are planning to use. I have a BSNL RUIM sim, which i have tested on multiple non-ruim modems of Sierra. Along with this i have also tested on CDMA phones. Both voice and data worked on the phone. The XXX that comes with the RUIM does not change. As long as you use the same you would be able to use it with any non-ruim device.

Edited post to remove content ...
Ok could you let me know the exact settings that you have applied preferably if you could provide screenshots of each setting, it will help me configure my connection. Because I have tried everything possible and it does not work.

Ok could you let me know the exact settings that you have applied preferably if you could provide screenshots of each setting, it will help me configure my connection. Because I have tried everything possible and it does not work.

What do you want to know exactly? Its been mentioned n number of times how to go about it, and you yourself said you are not willing to do it that way. I am really not sure what you are trying to do!

@varkey @Dushie - I would like to know the remaining settings like NAM / DATA and Mobile IP settings - how they have been done for SIM based EVDO. Because currently all examples have been for NON_RUIM based configurations, so would like to know how its setup for SIM based numbers

^ All those remains the same whether its RUIM or NON-RUIM. Both work exactly the same way, there is no special configuration needed for either of them.

Guys, I have TATA Photon Plus Modem Model HUAWEI EC1260. I bricked it with wrong firmware while trying to unlock it for BSNL RUIM. Could you please point me to the right firmware to get this working on BSNL Evdo RUIM.

I have unlocked ZTE AC2746, when i put my bsnl sim on it I can connect to 1x only and not evdo. Do I need to change anything on modem to connect to evdo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back