BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
- is evdo activated for your sim?
- is you sim an OMH sim?
- is your dialer configured to connect with evdo only?
- does bsnl provide evdo in your area?
if answer to all these questions is yes, you really need to worry about your data-card.

My 6month validity is going to end today.
Expiry date: 07-06-2013 reloadable up to 22-06-2013.

Should I do a TopUp of Rs.20 tomorrow?
What happens if I do not do a validity recharge even after 22/06/2013? My 750 Unlimited 1 month pack will expire on 6/07/2013.

Is there any option for getting 1 year validity?

^ You won't be able to connect if you do not do a validity recharge once it has expired. And you need to do a recharge of Rs 20, not topup.

I don't think there is a 1 year validity option.

^ You won't be able to connect if you do not do a validity recharge once it has expired. And you need to do a recharge of Rs 20, not topup.

I don't think there is a 1 year validity option.

You are saying that even if my pack is valid till 6th July, once the validity expires today, I will not be able to connect?

I have some Rs.300 balance in my account. Is there any way I can use that money to do the validity recharge?

^ Yep that is correct, you will not be able to connect.

If you have access to the CDMA portal, then you can easily use your existing balance, but I guess you do not have access to it. Anyway you can try this

9 Account to Validity Conversion
Customer can extend their validity for 180 days by dialing *789*2000# , the amount (Rs.20/-)
will be automatically deducted from their existing balance or by activating the same through Prepaid Portal.

^ Yep that is correct, you will not be able to connect.

If you have access to the CDMA portal, then you can easily use your existing balance, but I guess you do not have access to it. Anyway you can try this
Will try that tomorrow when I am not able to connect any more.
But if it does not work, I should ask the local recharge guy to do a Special Recharge of Rs.20. Right?

^ You could simply recharge online using PayTM, just select Special Recharge. Why go to a local recharge guy! ;)

^ You could simply recharge online using PayTM, just select Special Recharge. Why go to a local recharge guy! ;)

Does PayTM work with BSNL CDMA?
I use PayTM for all of my other connections but not this one. The last time I tried to recharge this connection online, none of the online sites worked!

Does PayTM work with BSNL CDMA?
I use PayTM for all of my other connections but not this one. The last time I tried to recharge this connection online, none of the online sites worked!

Works for me now, both Topup and Special Recharge. Although at one point of time it didn't work, now they seem to have fixed the issues.

I have unlocked ZTE AC2746, when i put my bsnl sim on it I can connect to 1x only and not evdo. Do I need to change anything on modem to connect to evdo?
unlocked ZTE AC2746 does not seem to work under EVDO mode with BSNL SIM. I had tried but did not work. Even seller tried and he could connect only under 1X mode. Hence, still connecting via Prithvi which is overall a good modem and has good coverage even in remote locations. Also prithvi available at such a low rate I guess a direct buy is best for BSNL.

Ok @varkey @Dushie - re: u598 I did a small test with regards all your suggestions that RUIM based connection would work on a non RUIM Based. But with all tests I can only confirm that it does not. I have been able to get non RUIM based configured successfully and works great in EVDO mode. To do another test - what I did is exchanged the SIM of an expired connection to my modem and shifted the SIM from my modem to the expired modems. Basically swapping RUIMs. Now if ESN was controlling the modem / account it would have run without any issue, but it did not. I think I still am not sure if you all understand my issue. After multiple tests, have failed go get the u598 working for the RUIM based connection. Non - RUIM based works fine and can be configured easily like mentioned in the tutorial, which means I am doing all the steps correctly, but as soon as I try to configure the RUIM based connection, it stops working. I guess I will call it quits and stick to my Prithvi modem as no methods seem to make the u598 working for my connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
@prtk : ESN is the factor and that is the exact reason why the expired SIM did not work. Each RUIM has a unique ESN which you fail to understand even now.

You are omitting or reluctant to do the very crucial step, then how will it work? You either need to make the ESN of the RUIM match the ESN of the modem or change the ESN of your connection in BSNL end to your Sierra (Now you will say this is impossible as per your BSNL rep. Whatever!) otherwise it will *NOT* work. I have told this multiple times and you still come back with the same nonsense.
I think we all here have tried to explain it to you, but I guess it makes no difference, you are not ready to accept.

I guess I will call it quits and stick to my Prithvi modem as no methods seem to make the u598 working for my connection.

Yes please, that's the best for everyone.

@varkey - I am doing no nonsense. Just trying to understand how you are making it work. If my suggestions are not needed I think I would also quit the board if you all feel I am a headache on the board. Basically when I asked BSNL in their database there is some random ESN number attached to my number. Now if you guys say that ESN is the binding force behind the RUIM number then that theory falls flat because in their database there is some random ESN number which is actually not the one on my modem, yet my connection works fine. Hence, I still fail to understand how someone has been able to configure the RUIM based number on a non RUIM number because as per my discussion and the actual process I have gone through - I find that ESN and RUIM are no were associated even in the BSNL Database. And that is the specific reason why say by changing the RUIM to some other modem the connection would work, because if it was tied to a specific ESN then by changing the SIM automatically the modem would not work. Hence, my only request has been that if someone has successfully configured the RUIM Based connection, I would like to see the screens how it has been done so that I can try at my end.

If you disable the RUIM slot in the RUIM based modem it takes the ESN from the modem config. If not the ESN of the RUIM takes precedence over the ESN of the modem.

@varkey - I am doing no nonsense. Just trying to understand how you are making it work. If my suggestions are not needed I think I would also quit the board if you all feel I am a headache on the board. Basically when I asked BSNL in their database there is some random ESN number attached to my number. Now if you guys say that ESN is the binding force behind the RUIM number then that theory falls flat because in their database there is some random ESN number which is actually not the one on my modem, yet my connection works fine. Hence, I still fail to understand how someone has been able to configure the RUIM based number on a non RUIM number because as per my discussion and the actual process I have gone through - I find that ESN and RUIM are no were associated even in the BSNL Database. And that is the specific reason why say by changing the RUIM to some other modem the connection would work, because if it was tied to a specific ESN then by changing the SIM automatically the modem would not work. Hence, my only request has been that if someone has successfully configured the RUIM Based connection, I would like to see the screens how it has been done so that I can try at my end.

My advice, find a user from your city who can help you get this done. Last year we all got our 595 and 598 to work , most of the steps would be posted in this thread itself if you go back some 20 odd pages . It takes little bit of time, effort and patience to get this done.People here have helped to the extent that we have even researched and upgraded the firmware for 595u as it was connecting only on 1x and post upgrade got it to work on EVDO. I have sold off all my Sierra 595U, have only one 598u that is lying with @kaneunderground and even that we tested and got it working fine with multiple connections.

My advice, find a user from your city who can help you get this done. Last year we all got our 595 and 598 to work , most of the steps would be posted in this thread itself if you go back some 20 odd pages . It takes little bit of time, effort and patience to get this done.People here have helped to the extent that we have even researched and upgraded the firmware for 595u as it was connecting only on 1x and post upgrade got it to work on EVDO. I have sold off all my Sierra 595U, have only one 598u that is lying with @kaneunderground and even that we tested and got it working fine with multiple connections.
Well I am not sure if any one understands my issue. If all have read clearly, what I said was that I could get the modem working using a non-RUIM based number. Say my friend has the old ZTE modem, so we went to BSNL office and immediately they updated the ESN in their systems and after a couple of hours the ZTE based number was working fine. So thats not atall the issue. I tried doing the same with a RUIM based number but in that case it does not work. I have discussed more in my earlier posts. While all are claiming that RUIM also works on ESN basis - I checked with BSNL and they have some random ESN registered in their system against my number. Their theory is that only non-RUIM based numbers need a Number + ESN to validate, while the RUIM based numbers are ESN independent and can work on any ESN device. Due to this they do not store nor authenticate ESN in their systems. Now if all are claiming that RUIM based connection is working on a non-RUIM based modem, I want to know exactly how because I have not seen one example of a RUIM Based number configured. All the numbers / config threads I have seen are mostly of the non RUIM based numbers and like I mentioned that will work and configure fine.

Anyone help me, I want to go for EVDO but I think it's risky as I'm totally unaware of this service. BSNL officials say they are currently giving some "Prithvi" data card and the other one is "ZTE" but the costs vary too much. Including everything, prithvi one costs 2000 something and the ZTE one costs 5250. Just tell me what to do? If there's any good data card available in India then please suggest me please and yes help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back