Budget 90k+ Build for Content Creation | 4K-8K | Graphics etc - upto 1.7L

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi Folks

This would be my 5th and probably last PC Build over the past 33 or more years :borg:. So I really want it to last ...... reeeaaaly looong :angelic:
I was shocked to realize that prices of almost everything have doubled and more since my last build (i7-3770K in 2012 or so) :drowning:
I have never ever used AMD procs or Graphic Cards - so prefer to stick to Intel & NVidia (at my workplace it used to be Xeons or Macs with Quadro graphic cards).
Your HELP / Suggestions would be appreciated.

BUDGET:
Two months ago when I started researching - I sincerely did not want to exceed Rs 1K at all - and now I am ending up having to spend at least Rs 1.7 plus..... BOOM!

Main Purpose:
Not Gaming (I am pathetic at it LOL).
So this is mainly for Content Creation - Video upto 8K (but mostly 2/4K).
Using Premiere Pro; After Effects; DaVinci Resolve; Lightroom; Photoshop; RAW files etc.

I have:
Cabinet:
Thermaltake The Tower 900 Snow White Edition
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 850W - 80Plus Gold
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH - C14 ....... (placed order for LGA 1700 - NM-i17xx-MP83 mounting kit from theITdepot)
HDD's & SSD (2.5") : 4 HDD's & 2 SSD's ....... (thus concerned with having at least 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors on a Z790 motherboard)

Concerns | Querries
1. Still confused if I should go for GPU - RTX 3060 - cheaper (with 12GB VRAM) or the 25% faster 3060Ti but with 8GB VRAM. I am OK with 3060 even if it takes a little while longer for rendering.
2. GPU - again I have selected the 3 fan series (where possible) as no problem in accommodating even 320mm or more length in my cabinet.
3. Brand of GPU's have used was either Asus or Gigabyte - was not sure of Zotac or Colorful (where robustness, longevity, driver support matters)
4. DDR5 RAM Only for the Z790 - If I do not OC it (or rarely) then would a 6000Mhz be a waste?
5. RAM preference - I love and trust G.Skill - I did look at Corsair and others too - but I guess I go when the paths are known & trusted .... LOL
6. Have gone in for ARGB or RGB type parts - just a gimmick on the Thermaltake The Tower 900
Lastly - I was zapped as I could not find easy availability fom Mumbai Dealers of most of the parts I had zeroed in (including PrimeABGB).... Found a new dealer ClarionComputers from Kolkata who is very approachable and has competitive rates too.

This is what I have come up with (see attached image)
Screenshot 2023-02-22 5.36.20 PM.png

Question: Are you willing to buy used parts? The reason I ask is because I recently built a PC with used CPU & GPU that saved me a bit, buy ones with decent warranty left.
Finally DDR4 also saved me a lot. I got a 64GB DDR4 kit for the price of 32GB DDR5 kit , yes DDR5 is future proof but it is currently overpriced and the increase in performance for the price(which isn't much) and half the amount of RAM is what made me go to DDR4.

Last edited:
Question: Are you willing to buy used parts? The reason I ask is because I recently built a PC with used CPU & GPU that saved me a bit, buy ones with decent warranty left.
Finally DDR4 also saved me a lot. I got a 64GB DDR4 kit for the price of 32GB DDR5 kit , yes DDR5 is future proof but it is currently overpriced and the increase in performance for the price(which isn't much) and half the amount of RAM is what made me go to DDR4.
I am willing to buy used parts - provided they are of a Z790 DDR5 motherboard and a DDR5 16GB x 4 Kit and a GPU with decent CUDA cores etc - these are still all new so it wont be easy to get them in the used category & I wouldn't be interested in re-furbished ones (how would I know of it's usage history or it was stretched to it's limits by testers or miners or OC'ers - the remaining warranty is NO Assurance for any product in India - apart from it being non-transferable) - I speak from over 35 years of experience and you then have to live with the frustration and loss of money too.

Now except for the GPU which I may get in the resale - but just not any brand (I am however in favor of Asus TUF Series 3060 - mainly because of its Dual ball fan bearings which can last up to twice as long as sleeve bearing designs plus the 12GB VRAM & 3 Fans version)

I agree that DDR5 is overpriced currently and may take a long time to cool down.

the i5-13600K DDR5 RAM (marginally OC) when Paired with a Z790 DDR5 board and a decent GPU 3060 or 3060Ti (again marginally OC) - gives a huge performance difference for Content Creators - v/s a DDR4 on a Z690 or other lower end series motherboards and 20 series GPUS. Also I have never had to RMA any of the products that I have used in my last 4 builds over 30 years - namely because they were carefully picked from credible brands only.

I tried to add up all the requirements that would make my system future-proof - and I thought much (cutting down costs by 50k or more - but having them to compromise much in the longer run)

I did not plan to OC anything , and when checking online reviews on the DDR4 vs DDR5 for productivity it did have 5-10% difference(STOCK) in the best charts but it did not trump double the RAM for me personally. But fair enough , i think it all boils down to your preferences and looking towards longevity is a good choice.
Agree on the used parts , it all comes down to the seller and luck, while I will have some fear cause of the huge cost, I tested the GPU with FurMark for a period , played demanding games and was able to monitor temps, again lucky because the seller was ok with me testing them. I could not do that for the CPU however because it wasn't local but processors in general are quite resilient and 13th gen being quite new kept me quite confident and its been good so far(touch wood). As for warranty procedures , so far I've only used it for my Asus Motherboard , i was asked nothing , only the sticker on the Mobo was used.
I am willing to buy used parts - provided they are of a Z790 DDR5 motherboard and a DDR5 16GB x 4 Kit and a GPU with decent CUDA cores etc - these are still all new so it wont be easy to get them in the used category & I wouldn't be interested in re-furbished ones (how would I know of it's usage history or it was stretched to it's limits by testers or miners or OC'ers - the remaining warranty is NO Assurance for any product in India - apart from it being non-transferable) - I speak from over 35 years of experience and you then have to live with the frustration and loss of money too.

Now except for the GPU which I may get in the resale - but just not any brand (I am however in favor of Asus TUF Series 3060 - mainly because of its Dual ball fan bearings which can last up to twice as long as sleeve bearing designs plus the 12GB VRAM & 3 Fans version)

I agree that DDR5 is overpriced currently and may take a long time to cool down.

the i5-13600K DDR5 RAM (marginally OC) when Paired with a Z790 DDR5 board and a decent GPU 3060 or 3060Ti (again marginally OC) - gives a huge performance difference for Content Creators - v/s a DDR4 on a Z690 or other lower end series motherboards and 20 series GPUS. Also I have never had to RMA any of the products that I have used in my last 4 builds over 30 years - namely because they were carefully picked from credible brands only.

I tried to add up all the requirements that would make my system future-proof - and I thought much (cutting down costs by 50k or more - but having them to compromise much in the longer run)

Main Purpose:
Not Gaming (I am pathetic at it LOL).
Then you don't need 144Hz. Get a good IPS 60Hz display that is calibrated well.

So this is mainly for Content Creation - Video upto 8K (but mostly 2/4K).
Using Premiere Pro; After Effects; DaVinci Resolve; Lightroom; Photoshop; RAW files etc.
This needs raw processing power. Use the money saved above to get:
13900k @ ~52k. You need to get a cooler as well.

Fast DDR5 RAM: Video rendering is one of the few instances you will actually see a difference with fast RAM.
But more RAM is better than fast RAM. Start with 2x 32GB sticks with low CAS latency. I think you will want to add more if you're working with 8k

GPU: More VRAM is better

4. DDR5 RAM Only for the Z790 - If I do not OC it (or rarely) then would a 6000Mhz be a waste?
All you have to do to enable RAM OC is to go into BIOS and enable XMP profile. Easy peasy

SSD: Get something with DRAM and heatsink. Continous access will cause them to heat up. Heatsinks are also available separately

I am a thick headed AMD guy; still nothing beats 13600k in price-performance ratio and that's why I recommend it for new PC builds. However for your neiche requirement and good budget I would recommend going AM5 for variety of reasons most important of them being the upgrade path. Furthermore try to push to 13900(k)(f)/equivalent ryzen for those extra juicy cores.

I had a motherboard which started with a ryzen 1600 and was rocking a 5600 until I was robbed and lost the PC. I hope he is fine wherever he his.

- Your purpose is video editing so why not go for a color accurate monitor?
- 8 GB VRAM is more than enough for 4k video editing. More power is always better though.
- The purpose of a GPU is not just to render the video but to also play a lot of effects you have on the timeline so more power is better for a smoother experience.
- The driver support is from Nvidia and AMD not from ASUS or Gigabyte.
- 48k for a 3060 ti should only be paid if you like donating money to shops. I have a 3080 in less than that. Even if you want to buy a new 3060 ti, you should go for some cheaper option.

I'll add this video here , well informed on the latest from AMD and Intel for productivity stack with benchmark numbers, this helped me a lot.
Dude is linking to site selling OEM Windows keys....and without even looking at the video I can say if you're worried about power consumption, switch off your PC when you're not using it.

Worrying about PC electricity cost in India is just unwarranted stress. The practical effect of having a higher TDP CPU/GPU is they will heat up your room, and that they will need extra cooling.

Thank you @n1r0 - you must be an editor dude ;)
@Slayer88 @dvader @powervgx
and
@InTheCircle (especially for that amazing video link) - TRULY TheTechNotice contents on YouTube are a Masterclass for Content Creators / Editors

I am now seriously having a re-think on the components that I picked & where can I afford to do corrections that may not bleed me too much
1] MONITOR
Choice between

BENQ PD2700U – 27 INCH 60 HZ 4 MS 100% SRGB 4K UHD IPS HDMI DESIGNER MONITOR for Rs 37390 this is also known as

Designer Monitor for Professionals | PD2700U

or Positives are it's Color Accuracy which conforms to Industry Levels - which is critical for my type of work (Note that I am aware that true color accuracy monitions used by studios like Eizo etc are all upwards of Rs 1L and beyond my means). With the certification of CalMAN VERIFIED and the Pantone Validated. Color Gamut - 100% sRGB/Rec. 709. It has 13 connectivity options on the rear side. Power Supply (built-in) so no clutter of an adapter. Occupies lesser space if desk-mounted as compared to the below LG.
It's only cons are refresh rate 60Hz and response time of 5ms
OR
LG ULTRAGEAR 27GN950-B 27-INCH 4K UHD 144HZ 1MS 10-BIT IPS ADAPTIVE SYNC GAMING MONITOR for Rs 40490 (price shot up by Rs 1500 is last 24 hrs!) also known as

27 (68.58cm) UltraGear 4K UHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor

Positives are PS 1ms (GtG) 144Hz with VESA DSC Technology; NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible with AMD FreeSync Premium Pro; DCI-P3 98% with VESA DisplayHDR 600
Cons are - Color Accuracy cannot be accurate to match Industry Standards; No Factory Callibration Cert; Uses massive desk space with its stand; uses Power Adapter & more expensive

My research was guided by these amazing resources
What Is Refresh Rate and Why Is It Important? by Intel
BEST Technical Comparision between the above two monitors
Which should I chose - 720p-vs-1080p-vs-1440p-vs-4k-vs-8k
and of course a review by the master

Best Bang for Buck PRO MONITOR for Video/Photo Editing & Animation! | BenQ PD3200U (PD2700u) REVIEW

Lastly
2] Processor
Should I dare to go for the bloody i9-13900K :angelic::blackalien:
It's gonna be my Armageddon then and my Wifey will roast me :arghh:

Should I dare to go for the bloody i9-13900K :angelic::blackalien:\
If it puts a hole in your pocket then don't, 13600k is more than enough, save some money and get your wife a small gift. However if money is not an issue then make that jump.......you know what I am gonna say it, get the 13600k and save some cash, there will always be a more powerfull processor no matter what you buy.

Should I dare to go for the bloody i9-13900K :angelic::blackalien:
It's gonna be my Armageddon then and my Wifey will roast me :arghh:
She might be even more mad if she learnt you spent 1.7L and did NOT get a 13900K :p

Here's the thing: a [Faster CPU + Slower RAM] will still be faster than [Slower CPU + Faster RAM]
For rendering, you should be focusing your resources on CPU + RAM size
If it were for gaming, you should go for a more powerful GPU and a less powerful CPU.

Designer Monitor for Professionals | PD2700U
or Positives are it's Color Accuracy which conforms to Industry Levels - which is critical for my type of work (Note that I am aware that true color accuracy monitions used by studios like Eizo etc are all upwards of Rs 1L and beyond my means). With the certification of CalMAN VERIFIED and the Pantone Validated. Color Gamut - 100% sRGB/Rec. 709. It has 13 connectivity options on the rear side. Power Supply (built-in) so no clutter of an adapter. Occupies lesser space if desk-mounted as compared to the below LG.
It's only cons are refresh rate 60Hz and response time of 5ms
Seems like this is a better match for your use case

27 (68.58cm) UltraGear 4K UHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor
Positives are PS 1ms (GtG) 144Hz with VESA DSC Technology; NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible with AMD FreeSync Premium Pro;
Since you are not into gaming, that 1ms response time, 144Hz refresh, and G/free-sync is totally useless for you - you're paying for something that you don't need and won't use.

Here's an alternate suggestion: get 2 monitors
1) Calibrated 1080p 24" - use as fullscreen viewport to check colours
2) A cheap 1080p 24" - keep all your UI on this display
The advantage here is you have way more screen real estate, which will ease your workflow, for the same or even lower price

Agree that there is always a better/faster product just round the corner. But the point of building your own PC is to optimize it for YOUR use. Since you have the budget, put it where it makes the most difference. If you want to go with a 13600k and save money, that is totally ok too. The only difference you will see is a few minutes in final render, nothing else.

I recommend you to go for the most powerful CPU and GPU you can afford. RAM speed doesn't matter much. When you scrub your timeline, the effects, color grade, transitions etc you use on the timeline are processed in real time by both CPU and GPU. Your experience will be a lot different, faster and better if you have a powerful cpu/GPU combo. I agree with @n1r0 that instead of going for a 144 HZ monitor you should go for a colour accurate 60 HZ monitor. I recommend a 1440p monitor though.

Last edited:
For starters. Congrats that you decided on building yourself a sweet rig for work purposes. Before I start off with suggestions. Could you help with your budget limitations if any? Any preferences in brand?

Some Concluding Thoughts on this Build

Extremely grateful to @n1r0 and @powervgx plus others who helped me stay in focus and chose the best options - and yeah thanks to @dvader who put some sense into my head :p that my WIFIE is more important than the 13900K :D
- Glad to know that on TE - folks love their spouses more than these crazy PC builds :wacky:

1. Making only one change - MONITOR: going for the BENQ PD2700U – 27 INCH 60 HZ 4 MS instead of LG 27GN950-B 27-INCH 4K UHD 144HZ 1MS - as although Benq is an old 2018 model is truly the BEST Bang for the Buck for Content Creators.

2. Dropped the idea of a 13900K as it was Rs 24300 more and I would be broke:drowning:. I also considered - if I should put this amount into a 3070Ti and then dropped that too. Reason being - I would rather check out the current chosen build for the first six months or so and then decide - if there are any justifiable reasons to upgrade (CPU + GPU) in my own work scenario (apart from the fact that prices will cool down) with the arrival of Intel Meteor Lake / Arrow Lake procs.

3. Final Cost is approx Rs 172,200 and looking at clarioncomputers from Kolkata to close the deal (its main person Mr Vikas Agarwal has been extremely helpful and approachable during the past few days.

This is most likely to be my final build.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 1.41.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-24 1.43.09 PM.png

I am Not sure if I am missing any point here but why has no one or op considered Mac mini for content creation.

M2 with 16gb should handle anything even at 8k and you would still be saving lot of money.

Final Cost is approx Rs 172,200

Your part list is now golden. However, you should strongly consider buying some of these parts used, for e.g you will find some kind soul selling DDR5 RAM and save a lotta cash. @powervgx has some Rog Strix 3060s/Tis for 25-33k which are almost new. Someone was selling 850W PSUs (PSUs from Corsair, Seasonic, etc are basically unkillable). Now that you have the list finalized just sleep on it and see if you can find something used and save some more cash, may be with the money saved on RAM you can upgrade to 3060ti/3070 while not crossing your budget.

Also, 64G sounds good (well for that much money it should be good) but you won't even be able to utilize 32G. Remember there is no such thing as single-channel DDR5 (each DDR5 stick already has two inbuilt channels). So start with a 16Gx2 stick and then see if you still need more RAM.

If you could find a used RM 1000x or a better PSU (in terms of absolute wattage) go for that. You will probably be upgrading your GPU 2-3 years down the line and that PSU will give you a healthy cushion.

Last edited:
everything in your list seems pretty decent for the requirements you have. You should consider getting a used graphics card as that will get you a better price. In the used market a 3060 goes for around 19-22K.

Some Concluding Thoughts on this Build

Extremely grateful to @n1r0 and @powervgx plus others who helped me stay in focus and chose the best options - and yeah thanks to @dvader who put some sense into my head :p that my WIFIE is more important than the 13900K :D
- Glad to know that on TE - folks love their spouses more than these crazy PC builds :wacky:

1. Making only one change - MONITOR: going for the BENQ PD2700U – 27 INCH 60 HZ 4 MS instead of LG 27GN950-B 27-INCH 4K UHD 144HZ 1MS - as although Benq is an old 2018 model is truly the BEST Bang for the Buck for Content Creators.

2. Dropped the idea of a 13900K as it was Rs 24300 more and I would be broke:drowning:. I also considered - if I should put this amount into a 3070Ti and then dropped that too. Reason being - I would rather check out the current chosen build for the first six months or so and then decide - if there are any justifiable reasons to upgrade (CPU + GPU) in my own work scenario (apart from the fact that prices will cool down) with the arrival of Intel Meteor Lake / Arrow Lake procs.

3. Final Cost is approx Rs 172,200 and looking at clarioncomputers from Kolkata to close the deal (its main person Mr Vikas Agarwal has been extremely helpful and approachable during the past few days.

This is most likely to be my final build.

View attachment 161316View attachment 161317
Just want to throw out here that 4 sticks of DDR5 will definitely keep you busy for a while, since DDR5 being relatively new have stability issues when all DIMM slots are occupied. Have all 4 of them running at 6000 speeds is very unlikely, but you could get it eventually with some tuning. Also, it's Gskill, so problems are somewhat taken care of.
I would advise going with 32 GB for now and adding another 32GB later, after future BIOS updates.

Back