Android Call recording mess on Android | What to do going forward?

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
Call recording which used to be a simple thing in the past has become headache on Android thanks to Google. Bad Google, bad google. Google has a long tradition of forcing american traditions or laws on rest of the world. Nowadays many mobile makers barring Samsung, OnePlus (?), RealMe (?) are including google phone dialer app which is making things even worse.

Although the Google Phone app has call recording, it's not straightforward. It announces 'the call is being recorded' which is annoying. The setup isn't easy. You have to enable call recording for every contact individually. That's stupid.

There are a few ways to mitigate the problem created by Google Phone app.
1. Using TTSLexx: it's a different text to speech engine that somehow makes the phone app to announce the call recording before call can even connect.
2. Call recording through third party app like Truecaller: doesn't work on newer Android as google has removed the access of live calls.
3. GooglePhoneApp mod: Requires root and still there's only 50% chance of success.

Also, none of the above options force call recording for all of the contacts. You still have to pick your contacts individually like before.

4. Basic Call Recorder: Requires either root or custom recovery. But as per the description it should work. Works independent of the dialer.

So do you guys know any solution to this problem? As far as I can see, the only solution is to go for Samsung phones in the future.

Last edited:
so other dialler/call apps on the playstore dont have call-recording feature anymore? while i was searching for the answer for why truecaller doesnt have call-recording now, iirc i had come across some such info that google has now restricted or 'banned' this feature as a prerequisite for apps on the playstore; something like that. am using a ~7YO mi phone so not aware. thankfully still have this feature in my phone's dialler that i often use.

so other dialler/call apps on the playstore dont have call-recording feature anymore? while i was searching for the answer for why truecaller doesnt have call-recording now
I asked this to TrueCaller support. They said Google not only banned call recording but also removed support of call recording. So unless company like Samsung wants to rebuild the whole support for call recording, it's not possible.

So do you guys know any solution to this problem?
Requires a govt in India that pushes to allow Indian law like the EU. Google has to comply.

As you know, call recording is not illegal in India nor in a number of other Asian countries.

As far as I can see, the only solution is to go for Samsung or OnePlus phones in the future.
Bingo!

People living in Europe were getting some file that identifies the phone as coming from Asia to enable call recording on their Samsung phone while living in the EU

So Google is wrong and deserves all kind of bashing because it is not allowing call recording without announcing it first.
Can we do call recording in Apple?

So Google is wrong and deserves all kind of bashing because it is not allowing call recording without announcing it first.
It's wrong because it feels extremely rude to turn on the call recording in the middle of an important call. Even when the other party is telling me something important or technical, I won't turn on the call recording because it feels very rude.

Different countries have different rules. But, as per Indian law, at least one of the party needs to know the call is being recorded so it's fine. Google fears somebody will sue them for it in the US so they made it inconvenient for every one. Isn't it like removing the dislike button? Somebody got depressed seeing dislikes on their video and then google hid it for everyone.

Can we do call recording in Apple?
But yeah, what does Apple do?

I see no reason why we have to comply
Yup

Samsung is S tier. Google limitations won't apply to it for long time to come.
From a long time Samsung has been creating alternate ecosystem to google services. Everyone laughed but today it's paying dividends.

From a long time Samsung has been creating alternate ecosystem to google services. Everyone laughed but today it's paying dividends.
Yes. It was able to keep Google hammer at bay because it's an S Tier OEM and google does not want to get into fight with some body who dominates Android ecosystem. Now it's difficult for Google to ammend rules for S Tier OEM as they also take chips for their pixels from Samsung. Tier 1 - Tier 3 OEM also have their ecosystem but have no choice but to follow what Google says.

One cannot sue Google in the US for providing call recording facility in India. Indian law does not prohibit call recording, therefore it's absurd for Google to disable it, banning the third party services especially I mean. When a company is operating within Indian territory hey are bound to comply as per the country's laws. It's purely Google's own decision to disable it. Purely authoritarian behaviour is all.

Here's my best suggestion..
Flash a custom rom.
Temporarily root your phone.
Patch google dialer (some apk/file has to be replaced in the dialers root directory)
Unroot your phone.
Enjoy recording feature without any notification or crap!

I use OnePlus dialer on my 9pro and it doesn't announce when you start call recording. Working perfectly on Android 13 as well.

One cannot sue Google in the US for providing call recording facility in India. Indian law does not prohibit call recording, therefore it's absurd for Google to disable it, banning the third party services especially I mean. When a company is operating within Indian territory hey are bound to comply as per the country's laws. It's purely Google's own decision to disable it. Purely authoritarian behaviour is all.
Is google releasing an India-specific ROM or is it some regional thing? they don't shift enough phones in India for it I think.

Irony here is even though you could flash any ROM you want none will allow the call recording IIANM

Call recording which used to be a simple thing in the past has become headache on Android thanks to Google. Bad Google, bad google. Google has a long tradition of forcing american traditions or laws on rest of the world. Nowadays many mobile makers barring Samsung, OnePlus (?), RealMe (?) are including google phone dialer app which is making things even worse.

Although the Google Phone app has call recording, it's not straightforward. It announces 'the call is being recorded' which is annoying. The setup isn't easy. You have to enable call recording for every contact individually. That's stupid.

There are a few ways to mitigate the problem created by Google Phone app.
1. Using TTSLexx: it's a different text to speech engine that somehow makes the phone app to announce the call recording before call can even connect.
2. Call recording through third party app like Truecaller: doesn't work on newer Android as google has removed the access of live calls.
3. GooglePhoneApp mod: Requires root and still there's only 50% chance of success.

Also, none of the above options force call recording for all of the contacts. You still have to pick your contacts individually like before.

4. Basic Call Recorder: Requires either root or custom recovery. But as per the description it should work. Works independent of the dialer.

So do you guys know any solution to this problem? As far as I can see, the only solution is to go for Samsung phones in the future.
Have u tried the Oneplus 8 or Oneplus 8Pro dialer, Google it download the Oneplus OG dialer and install should work easily.

you could flash any ROM you want none will allow the call recording
Sorry didn't get what you meant here... You just need to root your phone... Why go through whole custom rom if you don't want to... Plus once rooted any rom should be able to help...

If you use Magisk, you can install AOSP dialer with automatic call recording.

Then it doesn't matter which ROM you use. You can download it here:

Sorry didn't get what you meant here... You just need to root your phone... Why go through whole custom rom if you don't want to... Plus once rooted any rom should be able to help...

If you use Magisk, you can install AOSP dialer with automatic call recording.

Then it doesn't matter which ROM you use. You can download it here:

Thats what I said.. either flash custom rom as few roms got inbuilt recording facility or just root, do the dew and then de-root!

Back