Chandrayaan-3 successfully lands on Moon

buzz88

Disciple

I didn't find any threads on this. What a great achievement by ISRO!

Chandrayaan-3 | Vikram lander successfully lands on Moon
India becomes 4th country to make soft landing on lunar surface​

I was watching the Live Feed on ISRO's YouTube page. The energy in the mission control room was so palpable and positive. I just wish we had a live view of the descent too from the orbitter or from the lander itself. It was only a 2d animation on live feed.

After the landing, the PM's speech took over. I was hoping to hear one of the lead scientists speak about the mission and what they are trying to achieve there. It doesn't have to be like how NASA is shown in Hollywood movies, but some presentation, some insight into the mission and the future goals of ISRO would have been grand. It's vital to promote the science part as well as the national pride part.

I was watching the Live Feed on ISRO's YouTube page. The energy in the mission control room was so palpable and positive. I just wish we had a live view of the descent too from the orbitter or from the lander itself. It was only a 2d animation on live feed.

After the landing, the PM's speech took over. I was hoping to hear one of the lead scientists speak about the mission and what they are trying to achieve there. It doesn't have to be like how NASA is shown in Hollywood movies, but some presentation, some insight into the mission and the future goals of ISRO would have been grand. It's vital to promote the science part as well as the national pride part.
Agreed. The PM's speech went on for WAY too long and was repetitive. It was expected. He came on towards the end and took over post-landing. The speech should have been shorter, highlighting national pride, and then let the real heroes address, the scientists who made it all possible.

Also, those two jokers who were the hosts were getting on my nerves towards the end. Instead of listening to what was happening in the control room, their useless bantering was at the forefront.

Agreed. The PM's speech went on for WAY too long and was repetitive. It was expected. He came on towards the end and took over post-landing. The speech should have been shorter, highlighting national pride, and then let the real heroes address, the scientists who made it all possible.
7.3m viewers during the isro landing, and as soon as pm started speaking, viewer fell to 4.3m

After the landing, the PM's speech took over. I was hoping to hear one of the lead scientists speak about the mission and what they are trying to achieve there.

He came on towards the end and took over post-landing.

They shoved his face on half the screen a minute before the landing replacing the velocity/altitude monitor views and he took over for quite a while barely 30 seconds after it landed.
The celebrations felt premature and could've been a bit dialed down considering it was only job half done, imagine the embarassment if the rover malfunctioned.
They need to get someone to do the graphics next time, it could be well represented instead of looking like it was made using MS paint.
Enough nitpicking, commendable achievement by all the ISRO engineers involved. Now only if our municipal corporation engineers could fix the craters on our roads.

Kudos to bright, yet humble engineers from ISRO, have to salute their knowledge, hard-work and efforts...!!!
Now waiting for info and pics from Pragyan...
Lets hope lot will be gained by the country in this effort...

Last edited:
Yep we are the first to land on the dark of the moon
There's no dark side of the moon as such. Because the moon is tidally locked to the earth, we always see the same side of the moon. This is the near side. The opposite side which we never see is the far side.

nearfar.png

1 day on the moon (sunrise to sunrise) = ~14 earth days.

So almost every point on the moon will be in the dark for 14 earth days continuously and in the light for 14 earth days continuously. Since the systems depend on solar power to work, timing the landing just as lunar day begins at the landing site would give the maximum mission time of just under 14 earth days/half lunar day.

Once the sun sets at the landing site, temperature will drop drastically, and pretty much freeze and destroy all systems on the lander/rover. If landing it today wasn't feasible, they would have waited a month for the next opportunity.

If you're wondering why everyone chooses to land on the near side of the moon, it is because we do not have line of sight from earth to the landing site for communication. The lander would have to relay data via the orbiter, which would not always be in LOS since it is going around the moon continuosly, so overall bandwidth/transmission time would be severely limited.

Firstly It truly is a historical achievement for ISRO, INDIA and INDIANS and the World as whole.
Amazing how they did it. When so many great space powers have failed.

If you check the image I have attached below....We Indians are the only one on the South Pole side of the moon. No one has even touched it.
What a proud moment. God ko bless our scientist team and people who have worked so hard and sacrificed much for our country( i know many of them would have let go handsome packages from big USA/European rich countries) only to work for India and its people.

Moon Lunar Expeditions and Landings.jpg

wNow For people who are blaming Modi for trying to take credit and long speech. Have people forgotten that He was also there when Chandrayaan-2 failed. Also there giving long speech when our scientist team look completely disheartened. I dont think anyone complained then about long speech and Why Modi's face was shoved.

He is a politician afterall. They all do it across the world. They like to be taking credit too when nation achieves something remarkable.

Some People seem to have made only the negative points for Modi in their mind.

Last edited:
It took 50+ years for the 4th country to land on the moon. Its great achievement for ISRO, but humanity hasn't progressed much. Its 2023, people still believe in stupid Imaginary beings & practices based off comic books and fight for who has the bigger version.
By now, we should've had camps, moved 10-20% of the population to the moon base and focus on building Mars. I'm gonna die knowing I'll never leave this planet, its gonna leave a black hole in my heart. Sed life !!

It took 50+ years for the 4th country to land on the moon. Its great achievement for ISRO, but humanity hasn't progressed much. Its 2023, people still believe in stupid Imaginary beings & practices based off comic books and fight for who has the bigger version.
By now, we should've had camps, moved 10-20% of the population to the moon base and focus on building Mars. I'm gonna die knowing I'll never leave this planet, its gonna leave a black hole in my heart. Sed life !!
True.
I completely agree with your point.
But last 50 years Humanity has put all their effort on developing more lethal weapons instead of exploring. Toh results are missiles are more lethal , faster, stealthier ... All that Falana Dimka.

Now some people will argue but Rocket technology and defence ( missile) technology go hand in hand . It is only half truth. Where you put money and effort makes the all the difference.

One good news is though Space race is now heating up.
I was watching some UK media and European media....India's launch has ruffled up many feathers across.
Some western media is even questioning UK space agency and why European Space Agency is lagging behind.

Now some people will argue but Rocket technology and defence ( missile) technology go hand in hand . It is only half truth. Where you put money and effort makes the all the difference.
The tech is the same for missiles (weapons) and rockets (space vehicles). Only difference is the payload. Replace the satellite/orbiter/lander payload with a explosives and you get a missile. It really is that simple.

Technically rockets = unguided, like those you fire during Diwali. You can't control it once it's flying.
Add a guidance system to it and it becomes a missile. (There are non-rocket powered missiles too, like cruise missiles)
So that makes space vehicles missiles. You can't really have one without the other.

He is a politician afterall. They all do it across the world. They like to be taking credit too when nation achieves something remarkable.
While he was indeed present at the control centre for other missions as well, he totally stole the lime light away from the brilliant staff of ISRO. The stream was basically a cringy reaction video, where he got more face time than the scientists who literally put India on the moon. He should have let them have their moment of fame, and addressed them at a later time in person. Also note that the landing itself was not the mission, the rover wasn't deployed yet.

The tech is the same for missiles (weapons) and rockets (space vehicles). Only difference is the payload. Replace the satellite/orbiter/lander payload with a explosives and you get a missile. It really is that simple.

Technically rockets = unguided, like those you fire during Diwali. You can't control it once it's flying.
Add a guidance system to it and it becomes a missile. (There are non-rocket powered missiles too, like cruise missiles)
So that makes space vehicles missiles. You can't really have one without the other.
Dont agree . Like I said it does go hand in hand but it all comes to the effort and money.

Missiles also have to go through various modifications so as to be tested against enemy radars systems and missile defence system( which are always updating at much faster pace) and you have to set a whole different unit to operate it ...so more manpower and resources etc.

While he was indeed present at the control centre for other missions as well, he totally stole the lime light away from the brilliant staff of ISRO. The stream was basically a cringy reaction video, where he got more face time than the scientists who literally put India on the moon. He should have let them have their moment of fame, and addressed them at a later time in person. Also note that the landing itself was not the mission, the rover wasn't deployed yet.
I know . Honestly I too got up when I saw his speech was going too long.
But again he was there when missions had failed too and giving long speeches back then too .

Him coming a little later to address would have been very much appreciated but again our politicians run high on taking credits for most of things. It is normal now. They like to be in limelight when remarkable things are happening.

if I put it simply our politicians are just like bollywood actors and actresses . Just like how they like to be in limelight when movies are coming out but atleast Mr.PM was equally there in failure too. So cut him some slack.

Last edited:
@mods Totally OT at this point:
Dont agree
While you are certainly entitled to your thoughts and opinions, it does not change facts. For eg. the US military uses Xbox controllers to remotely operate vehicles. You may say it being a gaming device is not certified for military use, but the fact remains.

I know . Honestly I too got up when I saw his speech was going too long
So almost everyone found it annoying and a distraction from the topic at hand. Thanks for confirming

@n1r0 Let's us enjoy this moment of national pride and talk about our ISRO achievements.

the world is still in Awe. every international media is talking about India and the Moon.

Back