Commonwealth Games discussion thread

blr_p said:
I stayed out of this thread purposely to see how things would flow and now that i got the advantage of hindsight.

So here we are at post#216, upto #180 everything was negative, 83% of this thread was about fear. Then the tide turned the other way and all the doomsayers shut up. Why ? No more media to feed your emotions ?

The other thread on the subject was even more funny that one ran out of steam a full month before the games even began. And No they were not postponed and went on despite pullouts.

So what do you ppl have to say now, after the event is over ?

Clearly accountability was a problem, lots of different commitees with 'shared' responsibility but the system was setup so that the only way to blame anyone was to blame everyone involved. This is how you cover your ass :eek:hyeah:

The next bit is that the govt only got involved in the later stages, the sports federations pretty much ran the show right from the start. At the top of every sports federation is a politican. Maybe in future we should make some rules banning any politican from leading a sports federation.

And this is just a warmup for the Olympics, the way they were acknowledging that the Olympics chief was in the audience during the opening ceremony pretty much guaranteed it. Maybe in twenty years time. Oh and you won't be able to stop it because there will be some pretty powerful political & moneyed interests bidding for it just like there was this time around. I have no doubts we will be able to 'bribe' the appropriate IOC officials for a successful bid ;)

So ppl of Delhi have your real estate holdings not gone up in value with all these billions spent on the infrastructure of your city ?

same here man !

actually the media is mad, spoiling the global image of our own country

This was ridiculous what was done by media . They never showed the better side of the coin to people

i concur , i was fearing the worst , the positive from this i have relegated TIMES NOw news channel in between the cartoon channels now , no chance of me seeing that now :p , big up proud of the atheletes , now the skeletons will tumble out

Damn it, you guys are not getting it :(

It's not the media's fault its OUR gullibility that IS the issue.

70% of ppl in this country believe what they read & hear in the media.

They got us and good, by playing to our biases and those of foreigners as well.

Where was the faith in your people and your country ?

^with huge cost overruns, collapsing bridges, bringing in the army to get everything done on time, what faith could have possibly be left, especially with the sheer callous audacity of the people in charge, "the bridge was for ordinary people". I do agree that a lot of small things (like the dirty rooms - As long as the building isn't collapsing, it can be cleaned) were blown out of proportion, but from India's perspective the games were far from successful, the event itself might have been a success, what happened before and what will happen now will determine the real worth of hosting the CWG. If those responsible for the shady deals and shoddy work are bought to book, and enthusiasm for non-cricket sports especially track and field increases, then it would have been worth it.

Just cause I did not post does not mean that I have turned. I saw what they have done to Delhi. It is apparent the amount of money which was siphoned off. As usual we forget quicker and forgive ever faster.

Back