Commonwealth Games discussion thread

Re: These common wealth are such a disgrace

Well, after seeing the performance they put up y'day, this thread has the right to die down. :)

^ +1! I'm not quite a fan of opening ceremonies, but yesterday's was truly spectacular. Loved that huge Helium balloon, worth the 70 cr spent on it!

the opening ceremony was fantastic. but, a lot of questions need to be answered. hopefully, they will be taken up once the games are over. specially the expenses!

Corruption and openign ceremony are two different things!!

That said, the opening ceremony was truly spectacular!! TOTALLY WICKED!!!

It was rich and classy!!

media always highlights negative points.

other day saw on ESPN the rooms of athletes and those were awesome like 5star hotel rooms

Well has anyone seen what BBC news was showing today apart from yesterdays spectacular opening ceremony ,well they were showing completely deserted grand stands and stadiums in todays events,in some places not a single sole was seen,i mean where are all the people.

khanvis2009 said:
this thread needs to close asap .. commonwealth rocked !!!.. all -ve publicity by foreign media ..
Just because things were swept under the carpet and financial muscle flexed to stop nations from pulling out, it doesnt means that We handled things aptly.

India remains a lethargic giant living on crack and the proverbial saying 'the sleeping giant' is gonna stay for quite sometime.

Watching opening ceremony which I had kept on record on Tata Sky +.

Honestly, I am just 40 mins in and its spectacular. I honestly did not expect it to turn out brilliant. Also saw the coverage of player facilities. The ones which are made ready for Indian hocky team were fantastic. Almost good 4 star hotel like rooms with plush well lit interiors.

Whatever happened on the way to this event, what it is now ensures we dont get badmouthed by players who are staying there.

Anyway, I still dont get why these games were moved to Delhi in the first place :p

We had very good infrastructure that was already in place near outskirts of Pune which hosted national games in 94 and lot of money was spent back then to acquire land and build infrastructure. Again it hosted commenwealth youth games in 2008. I attended those and those were well organised.

Sure this infrastructure wouldnt have been enough for CWG, but I definitely thought it could be upgraded and new venues could have been constructed nearby. And it would have been 90% ready 2 years back.

Anyway, seriously, they washed away lot of bad press and bad feelings with yesterday's event. I hope it turns out to be a successful event.

I dont get why the foreign media is cribbing on the money India has spent?

All this money gave jobs to poor ppl who instead of being fed for free, was given a chance to earn it. the money gets circulated in the economy and govt gets taxes again out of the money being circulated.

The bad part is where Like of kalmadi's siphoned off money through corruption :mad:

I just feel bad for the slum dwellers who had to be shifted, and ppl who had to sacrifice their homes :(

^^^^the main problem is the people who really deserve the money get peanuts or nothing at all.. and the majority of the money is not circled in the Indian economy and how IOA is a private body and gets massive govt loans without any security and till date hasn't paid any.

PLEASE read this article fully for more info Tehelka - India's Independent Weekly News Magazine

_

@ spacescreamer ...sorry mate .. ur wrong ... India is a developing country so has its problems ..but this event was spectacular .... if u don't like this country get the hell out but stop badmouthing India . that's exactly how NRI's talk , they always see the bad things about our country .. India is not a "Lethargic giant on crack" .. its a poor developing country with massive problems and we are solving them slow and steady . India rocks !

khanvis2009 said:
@ spacescreamer ...sorry mate .. ur wrong ... India is a developing country so has its problems ..but this event was spectacular .... if u don't like this country get the hell out but stop badmouthing India . that's exactly how NRI's talk , they always see the bad things about our country .. India is not a "Lethargic giant on crack" .. its a poor developing country with massive problems and we are solving them slow and steady . India rocks !
Well to you it might be NRI talk, for me its just plain logic.

If you are fine with the laid back attitude of barely making it even after five years+ of allotment of the games, then its your problem and not mine. I give the credit where its due and i dont hyperventilate when i see obvious events happening.

To expect a country put up a face to host any event properly in 5 years is NRI talk to you,then i do see what kinda people are still a problem. keep ur suggestion of me being in or our of the country to your own bloody self :)

Spacescreamer said:
Well to you it might be NRI talk, for me its just plain logic.

If you are fine with the laid back attitude of barely making it even after five years+ of allotment of the games, then its your problem and not mine.

To expect a country put up a face to host any event properly in 5 years is NRI talk to you,then i do see what kinda people are still a problem. keep ur suggestion of me being in or our of the country to your own bloody self :)
ur logic is flawed and i suspect the next comment you make will be too

Spacescreamer said:
Just because things were swept under the carpet and financial muscle flexed to stop nations from pulling out, it doesnt means that We handled things aptly.

I totally agree with you. Tucking away the problems under the carpet doesn't mean that the games were successful.

khanvis2009 said:
An attitude like yours is exactly the problem with our country. People like you want to bask in a moments glory and forgive/forget/ignore about all the problems that happened never ever to going to be probed again. Its an insult to all the people who have already suffered due to those very problems. Being at least as generous with criticism as with applause is the key to success, finding excuses for incompetence and corruption is not. In just one incident, 23 people were seriously injured when an under construction bridge collapsed. Allegedly its due to the poor construction materials used. Is the incident ever going to be probed further? Poor construction materials and quality is some thing that's also being said of most of the rest of the construction that has happened for CWG. I have also read that most of the quality certification related documents are forgeries. So tomorrow if one of the stadiums collapses on athletes and thousands of spectators, would you still say that the CWG was a success because we had such a great launch event (which btw does not seem have gone as smooth as it should be. Try asking the people who stood in 2km lines and had to deal with clueless volunteers to attend the event in person) or would you also defend that too with your "developing country" and "massive problems" excuse.

Organizing events means taking responsibility and ensuring that the entire thing goes smooth right from the moment you take responsibility, not trying to make a profit out of it and leave it to fate and then later claim that everyone is trying to hit on you. Also your success or failure as a organizer is measured right from the moment you take responsibility, not from the moment the actual show has started. If you are organizing a stage show, you have failed the role of an organizer even if your arrangements for the rehearsals were not good enough. Just because the main event got though without incident does not mean that you would be excused for the poor organizing before the show started.

Lord Nemesis said:
I totally agree with you. Tucking away the problems under the carpet doesn't mean that the games were successful.
An attitude like yours is exactly the problem with our country. People like you want to bask in a moments glory and forgive/forget/ignore about all the problems that happened never ever to going to be probed again. Its an insult to all the people who have already suffered due to those very problems. Being at least as generous with criticism as with applause is the key to success, finding excuses for incompetence and corruption is not. In just one incident, 23 people were seriously injured when an under construction bridge collapsed. Allegedly its due to the poor construction materials used. Is the incident ever going to be probed further? Poor construction materials and quality is some thing that's also being said of most of the rest of the construction that has happened for CWG. I have also read that most of the quality certification related documents are forgeries. So tomorrow if one of the stadiums collapses on athletes and thousands of spectators, would you still say that the CWG was a success because we had such a great launch event (which btw does not seem have gone as smooth as it should be. Try asking the people who stood in 2km lines and had to deal with clueless volunteers to attend the event in person) or would you also defend that too with your "developing country" and "massive problems" excuse.

Organizing events means taking responsibility and ensuring that the entire thing goes smooth right from the moment you take responsibility, not trying to make a profit out of it and leave it to fate and then later claim that everyone is trying to hit on you. Also your success or failure as a organizer is measured right from the moment you take responsibility, not from the moment the actual show has started. If you are organizing a stage show, you have failed the role of an organizer even if your arrangements for the rehearsals were not good enough. Just because the main event got though without incident does not mean that you would be excused for the poor organizing before the show started.
did u volunteer for the games ?? or were u just a spectator commenting from the sidelines and from reading -ve newspaper articles .. the titile of this thread was commonwealth games are a disgrace ..which i disagreed with .. i also disagree with spacescreamer that outr country is no good and can never change or improve .. . even when the US built massive bridges and skyscrapers involving millions of workers , there was corruption and hundreds of deaths of the workers who built them .. so would u say the empire state building , the golden gate bridge is a disgrace cause so many lives were lost in building them or maybe they should have given food to the needy rather than spend billions on those skyscrapers .

Our country has masiive problems .. some which u cant even comprehend .. we r just pointing fingers at politicians and bureaucrats, but how many of can do what they do .. can u join politics and change all this .. no u wont .. everybody in our country only dreams of running away to foreign lands and then sit there and criticize how corrupt and filthy India is ,,

u say poor construction material was used , yes maybe it was or there was a technical fault with that bridge design .. but u dont know that cause u based ur judgement on newspaper articles and not on facts .. all ur judgements are based on what uve read and not what uve seen or experienced personally ..... if u were so concerned y didnt u go there and check the quality of the cement while it was being constructed !!

yes India is corrupt and its filthy too but that does not mean it has no hope ..u guys are saying that the games and organisers are a disgrace .. wow.. so many people put so much effort into it .and it was magnificent !!!..yes lives were lost and there was corruption like there is in any project of this size .. its un avoidable .. its easy to criticize politicians but this time they made our country proud .. if u saw the opening ceremony it was brilliant u wouldnt disagree..

next time we bid for the olymics i suggest u try and be one of the organisers as u seem to know a lot about organizing and try to make it a zero corruption event and zero accident event , u wont be able to ..... corruption exists everywhere even in the US ... our problems are beyond corruption ... our biggest problem is the fact that the young generation does not believe in our country and its potential !!we just try to find an opportunity to criticize it at every level sitting on the sidelines..

the common wealth games showed the world the potential India has .. we r getting there slowly and steadily ..CWG are not a disgrace !!

Back