Commonwealth Games discussion thread

^^ yeah, keep defending stuff that obviously went wrong because of nothing but blatant shameless mismanagement. I know firsthand how prevalent corruption is in the construction field but for such incidents to happen in such a high profile even is unforgivable even in the current scenario.

(This is just my point of view, if some one is offended please understand it was not intended and all I want is to have a civilized discussion and no finger pointing amongst the members. Every one has a right to their point of view and should not be judged on the view they have)

My mother and father and strangely my brother forced me to watch the opening ceremony and I'm glad they did.

It was much better than expected. Overwhelming in a few ways.

But all this was on TV. Nemesis is right, there were a lot of issues on the ground level. Mismanagement and even no management. I know this because quite a few of my friends are volunteers in the CWG.

But this thread is not about the games as such, CWG is just the poster boy of this thread.

The point is what the corrupt politicians are doing. Its fine the opening was nice, but we were shamed in the worlds eyes quite a lot and common citizens like us were the ones who were effected the most due to the embarrassment.

The politicians of course couldn't care less since they have already pocketed the money and now they will say all went well lets forget about the past and focus on the future and the games. The same old $hit. Same old "chalta hai" attitude. The same old "jugaad" that runs in every Indians blood.

Considering the amount of public money that was spent, why is the word jugaad even used here.

The budget that was set when we bid for the common wealth games was increased by 10 folds and still we were caught with our pants down.

This should have never happened in the first place. What the government doesn't realize is that our country is a developing nation and we shouldn't have any presumptions about that. There are bigger problems in this country. I don't know why Indian government keeps trying to make a mark in the world when it cant even handle its own problems.

The poor are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer. This is not how it should be. But our beloved corruption will make sure this will never change. The great amount of money that is being spent should be going to the poor people and to them only.

There is no equality in this country at all. Its fine that the people in TE are educated and understand the situation but the uneducated are the ones who can be easily swayed by the politicians.

We still have parties like MNS and shiv sena who think Hinduism is the biggest religion and any one who points a finger towards it can be beaten, killed, etc. Who the hell made them in charge? And look at the government who doesn't even have the guts to ban these parties for 2 simple reasons, corruption and no back bone.

Then there is Kashmir. After that the maoists. I don't want to even start about the OBC issue.

I love this little country of ours. Its great in a lot of ways. But the problems that we have are just getting bigger and bigger.

What keeps happening here that there are a lot of cancers in this country we are aware about but we don't do anything about it until the cancer reaches its deadliest stage. And frankly now it is too late. the cancer is everywhere. If we try to remove one part the others will strike. Only a miracle can help us. And yes we do need help.

Whichever is the elected government is there because the voters had no choice but to choose the lesser of the evils, but again the point here is that they are evils no matter how we put it. Corrupt as usual, thinking about the next election first, theen their pockets, then their families, then their friends and then maybe if any money is left for the citizens.

Whoever is reading this should try and understand just one thing, just because a smoke bomb aka the CWG opening ceremony was grand should not distract one from the main point, i.e., the corruption here which embarrassed the hell out of us citizens.

i think we all agree:-

1) The event was unprofessionally managed, things turned out good, thank god for it, not kalmadi.

2) The likes of kalmadi should be tried for corruption and shud be made an example of.

Rest of the problems are independent of the CWG, people will have different views, cause the problem is very complex, if there was a simple logic, we would have solved the problems till now. Each branch of though has something convincing.

A corrupt politician tried for corruption without any unethical reasons behind the charge. That would be a first IIRC.

Even if he is tried(He should be tried), he will just become the scape goat behind which the rest of the people who were involved can hide.

Re: These common wealth are such a disgrace

khanvis2009 said:
.CWG are not a disgrace !!
Yes, but the way we got to the Opening Ceremony was...

If we are a "poor developing country" why the hell are we hosting the CWG? Shouldn't the cash go things that can get us out of "poorness"?

In the end, the CWG was meant to build up India's image internationally, after all the shite prior to the opening ceremony, we are looking at best case break-even or mildly positive image change, so was it worth spending thousands of crores on that?

Although I am kind of relieved that everything is going smoothly, I still wonder if we, as a nation could have used a swift kick to our self aggrandized image of ourselves, just to get us out of our "chalta hai" attitude.

The amount that was quoted initially for the CWG cost was / is no where near to how much we have dished out. That time it seemed feasible. We bit more than we could chew, and then the umpteen 'n' committees / facilities involved removed it all. No one is refuting the fact that the opening ceremony was superb. Our biggest flaw is "juggad / chaltha hain" + "no value of human life / and honor". (Sheila Dixit said that the collapsed bridge was not for the player but public so no problem). Our politicians are aware of this -- and they bank on it. Am sure 90% of the population have even forgotten who Mr. Kalmadi is. Things are fine, the games went off well. Can we all not see the mess our country is in. Go to any government office and try to get some work done. It amazing how the country is even running. No one cares two sh$$ for India. THIS IS WHAT HURTS THE MOST. We as tax paying citizens are doing what we need to do as Indian nationals, but is the government. People will argue, "you do it", "stand up for elections" -- that is not the correct answer. That is kindergarten. Just because someone notices a mistake / flaw in the system and makes others aware, they cannot ask the individual to partake the activity. Lame, sad, pathetic.

It is very immature to throw blame at each other rather than give a constructive solution.

There was a similar discussion a few pages back on this thread and I quote:

Mephistopheles said:
Politicians are Indians, and BTW giving any funda is easy and doing stuff in reality is what is not easy. We are not responsible for electing the members of CWG Commission but we are responsible for electing those who have elected them. The fault is in the Indian society and not just a bunch of individuals. If the democratic mechanism has failed then it is because of the citizens of the country. We as a society are corrupt and that is why the Politicians are, we need to start blaming ourselves and not each other for productive improvement. and coming to your post, you said "this will teach them (i.e. the govt.) a lesson", but the government is us, It is the citizens of this country who need to be taught a lesson. The group of individuals you are talking about were and are a part of our society, their thinking and value system has been inherited from the society.

There is a part of me that feels the games will be a success. But the amount of money these people have spent is unjustifiable.

Then there is Kashmir. After that the maoists. I don't want to even start about the OBC issue.

Sir, any solution that comes to your mind?

And I must add that the $2bn terminal of the airport and the metro lines drew money from this INR70kcr budget ( or ~$15bn)

People will argue, "you do it", "stand up for elections" -- that is not the correct answer. That is kindergarten. Just because someone notices a mistake / flaw in the system and makes others aware, they cannot ask the individual to partake the activity. Lame, sad, pathetic.

I want to ask you is there any young, educated person who wants to choose politics as a career? The Answer is - NO

This is what is "Lame,sad,pathetic."

Mephistopheles said:
Sir, any solution that comes to your mind?

And I must add that the $2bn terminal of the airport and the metro lines drew money from this INR70kcr budget ( or ~$15bn)

I want to ask you is there any young, educated person who wants to choose politics as a career? The Answer is - NO

Like I had said, because we let the cancer grow for so long there is nothing we can do without risking national security. We started this, we stood by and now we can't control it.

As for the international terminal, it is nothing to shout about.

For the third point, the corruption is now so high that you cant do anything without it. No individual can stand as an independent candidate as it wouldn't work. Its not just the votes that matter you know. One needs to have enough seats in the parliament. And you need to campaign in the country. While your opposition is bribing people, lying to them and have a very good financial backing of black and white money. How are you and I supposed to compete with that?

To join a national party you cant just walk into their office and apply, you need a contact. So basically before one even gets into it they have already used a corrupt method.

So I ask you, in the end what can you and I do? Ill tell you what can we do, NOT A DAMN THING. There is no way that I can think of which will ever cure or rid us of these problems.

Some one had said something about corruption in the US and stuff. I would like to say to them that US is not my country, India is. I don't know about anyone else but I don't give a damn if US is corrupt.

Mephistopheles said:

So you think, joining politics in India, you will be able to make changes...?

^^

Yes I do. I do not think I need to tell you what politicians are really doing to India. It is quite apparent.

asingh said:
^^

Yes I do. I do not think I need to tell you what politicians are really doing to India. It is quite apparent.

This does not make sense. What you could have said was that select individuals who are politicians are corrupt and not doing there job as they are supposed to

Politicians are afterall people who govern the nation, and it is them that can bring about a change because they have the power to do so.

I stayed out of this thread purposely to see how things would flow and now that i got the advantage of hindsight.

So here we are at post#216, upto #180 everything was negative, 83% of this thread was about fear. Then the tide turned the other way and all the doomsayers shut up. Why ? No more media to feed your emotions ?

The other thread on the subject was even more funny that one ran out of steam a full month before the games even began. And No they were not postponed and went on despite pullouts.

So what do you ppl have to say now, after the event is over ?

Clearly accountability was a problem, lots of different commitees with 'shared' responsibility but the system was setup so that the only way to blame anyone was to blame everyone involved. This is how you cover your ass :eek:hyeah:

The next bit is that the govt only got involved in the later stages, the sports federations pretty much ran the show right from the start. At the top of every sports federation is a politican. Maybe in future we should make some rules banning any politican from leading a sports federation.

And this is just a warmup for the Olympics, the way they were acknowledging that the Olympics chief was in the audience during the opening ceremony pretty much guaranteed it. Maybe in twenty years time. Oh and you won't be able to stop it because there will be some pretty powerful political & moneyed interests bidding for it just like there was this time around. I have no doubts we will be able to 'bribe' the appropriate IOC officials for a successful bid ;)

So ppl of Delhi have your real estate holdings not gone up in value with all these billions spent on the infrastructure of your city ?

blr_p said:
I stayed out of this thread purposely to see how things would flow and now that i got the advantage of hindsight.

So here we are at post#216, upto #180 everything was negative, 83% of this thread was about fear. Then the tide turned the other way and all the doomsayers shut up. Why ? No more media to feed your emotions ?

The other thread on the subject was even more funny that one ran out of steam a full month before the games even began. And No they were not postponed and went on despite pullouts.

So what do you ppl have to say now, after the event is over ?

Don't generalize, IF you look at the posts from the start, my viewpoint has been the same. :)

You may have but it did not stick out against the overwhelming tide.

I made that statement to show a point actually.

It only takes 0.01% wrong for the media to blow it out of proportion and everybody runs around like the sky was falling. Oh and I'm not blaming the media for this, that's their job but thats how easy it is for perceptoins to be warped pretty effectively.

6pack said:
Saw a news item about spoilsport Aussie sports people going on a rampage and destroying things in the CWG athletes village. wow. And these guys are the first to complain about bad manners and what not in other countries.

Cricket loss makes Oz athletes take it out on washing machine - The Times of India

Seems the aussie's sent really badly behaved people here.

If you read that article, it sounds more like a IndiaTV news report than a serious piece of journalism.

Back