Custom duty related queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the DHL guy called up again, this time asking about the contents of the parcel (even after having sent the invoice yday). This is how the convo went:

DHL guy (Rohit): Can you tell me what exactly are the contents of the package ?
Me: As mentioned in the invoice I forwarded yday, it has a Blu-ray.
R: What's a blu-ray ?
Now I know I'm in a soup the moment he asks this. So instead of going into technicalities, just replied
Me: It's a movie. Like an advanced version of a DVD.
R: Sir, you should've mentioned this earlier. These advanced versions are not allowed in India, that is why customs have detained it.
*Awkward silence ensues as I'm left speechless*
After some more jibber jabber, I knew it was synonymous with hitting your head on a wall. So asked him as to what can I do about it. Now have to send a letter (again) stating the nature of contents of the package and intended use.
DHL, SMH. :banghead:[DOUBLEPOST=1387521595][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good gracious. Mine's IOB. Its VISA.
does all c/c work then?
Yeah, CCs will work. Axis DCs also work.

What do you make of this? :S
Hello,
Here's a copy of the chat transcript you requested:

Initial Question: Hi, I'm facing payment issues with an order which I placed. Anyone live?

06:21 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): Hello, I'm Mohan. I'll be glad to help you today.
06:22 AM(GMT) Me: This is regarding an order of mine. Order #XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Problem is; Payment Decline.
I got this mail "We're writing to let you know that the payment for your order has been declined. The issuing bank may have declined the charge if the name, expiration date, or ZIP Code you entered does not exactly match the bank's information. There is no need to place a new order as we will automatically try your selected payment method again.*"
06:23 AM(GMT) Me: Could you please tell me what might have went wrong with my order?
06:24 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): I checked and see that your payment method has been made hold by your bank.
06:25 AM(GMT) Me: Do you have any info. as to why its being help and what the exact problem might have been?
06:26 AM(GMT) Me: *held
06:26 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): I have rechecked your payment method, and see that your order has been placed successfully.
06:26 AM(GMT) Me: Can you please confirm it for me?
06:27 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): You can check the order status in your order detail page.
06:27 AM(GMT) Me: I haven't got any confirmation mail yet.
06:27 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): You can see the payment fulfillment status.
06:28 AM(GMT) Me: Where can I find the payment fulfillment status? I'm sorry this is my first time shopping on amazon.com and thus am still trying to find my way around.
06:30 AM(GMT) Me: I just got a mail from amazon, same mail which was being sent to me "We're writing to let you know that the payment for your order has been declined. The issuing bank may have declined the charge if the name, expiration date, or ZIP Code you entered does not exactly match the bank's information. There is no need to place a new order as we will automatically try your selected payment method again.*"
06:30 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): You can check in your order detail page. The order status has changed to Pending fulfillment.
Your product will be shipped soon. And your card will be charged only after your package got shipped.
06:32 AM(GMT) Me: Is it safe to assume that my order HAS been placed and that is under process? Or will I face any payment issue related problem particularly "Payment Declined" again?
06:33 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): No your problem was solved. You won't face any problem. Your order has been placed successfully. You'll be charged from the card once your item gets shipped.
06:34 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): Is there anything else I can do for you today?
06:35 AM(GMT) Me: I would like to get a "Order Successfully Placed" confirmation mail if possible.
06:37 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): Ya sure, I'll send you a confirmation mail with the order details, D.
06:37 AM(GMT) Me: Thank you very much.
06:38 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): You're welcome, David.
Is there anything else I can do for you today?
06:38 AM(GMT) Me: That will be all. I'm eagerly waiting for confirmation mail.
06:39 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): Sure I'll send you within one hour.
06:40 AM(GMT) Mohan(CSA): Is there anything else I can do for you today?
06:41 AM(GMT) Me: Nope.
[DOUBLEPOST=1387522508][/DOUBLEPOST]
R: Sir, you should've mentioned this earlier. These advanced versions are not allowed in India, that is why customs have detained it.
YOLO!! :hilarious:

Last edited:
^ Well, wait for the mail.
And yes, Amazon charges ONLY when the order is shipped. It will place a CC hold (of the order value) once it's "Preparing your shipment" (which can be 3-5 days if you've opted for free shipping), but the hold will be cleared (as in will go into CC bill) only when Amazon ships it.

Edit: Would advise you to email them as well regarding the issue and what the CSA replied. The email folks are generally better at handling out details than the chat guys.

I got a "action required" something so I confirmed my payment method and
Thanks for updating the payment information for your order #XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Your order will be paid using the payment method that you selected. We will notify you via e-mail if further action is required on your part.

When your order is shipped, we will send you an e-mail message to confirm the date, contents and method of your shipment. If you requested any additional changes to this order, you will receive a separate e-mail to confirm those changes.

I really hope this will pass without any more hiccups. :(

@alekhkhanna

Completely your mistake in that conversation. :p
You should have just mentioned DVD to simplify things.
In fact you will notice that people who are aware what is a Blu Ray will still say "Blu Ray DVD", it is very very common.

@alekhkhanna

Completely your mistake in that conversation. :p
You should have just mentioned DVD to simplify things.
In fact you will notice that people who are aware what is a Blu Ray will still say "Blu Ray DVD", it is very very common.
I also take the same approach as Raksrules has mentioned . Learned the hard way dealing with MTNL Employees . I wonder how do people get their degrees who are employeed with MTNL .

On another note My package from PPOBOX has been dispatched since a few days but has not reached mumbai customs . Wondering if this is due to new year rush .

Last edited:
Definitely not a good day for me. My payment was declined again. Need to pay a visit to the bank tomorrow. If it still doesn't work out then I will ask a friend to buy it for me using his ICICI c/c. ICICI is accepted right?

Definitely not a good day for me. My payment was declined again. Need to pay a visit to the bank tomorrow. If it still doesn't work out then I will ask a friend to buy it for me using his ICICI c/c. ICICI is accepted right?
All CCs are accepted. DCs are a hit or a miss. Axis (chip and PIN) DC works.

Problem solved. Apparently max spending limit on my debitcard is 10000rs and I'm spending nearly 13000rs.
will ask a friend to do it for me.
Update: friend will place the order tonight.
I never knew that a seller could change. One of my items was kept on standby. So i had to cancel it (screenshot 2).
I learned many things from my recent order on Amazon. :D
Thanks everyone for the help.
Order placed. Expected delivery date Jan 7-14. New Year gift eh amazon? -___- Zzz

Attachments

• final order.jpg
    final order.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 6jS4fmh - Copy.png
    6jS4fmh - Copy.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I am looking to buy a product from amazon which it does not ship internationally using hopshopgo.When will I have to pay the custom duty,after I receive the product or beforehand? Also, which courier company does hopshopgo use?

100%
icici works

^ What all did you buy? Didn't Amazon send them all in 1 package?
Hardware tools.
I also got an invoice for the two and under it is written "we've sent this part of your order to ensure quicker service. The other items will ship separately at no additional cost".

Attachments

• Photo-0068.jpg
    Photo-0068.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 213
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back