Status
Not open for further replies.
When I asked SnS about it's shipping quality and Aramex they said this,

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 216
Hi i want to buy these
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-In-Ear-Headphones-XX-Series-Earbuds-Red.html

No of pieces :-5
From USA to India (Rajasthan)
Weight of 1 pc :- 2.0 ounce
Dimension 1pc :- 7 inches *2 inches *4 inches

PLEASE provide me the amount of shipping + customs that will be charged

Please reply ASAP
This is your assumed weight and dimensions , actual weight depends on website., because after packaging dimensions and weight changes. Also customs should be 20%.

@prateekS will I be charged any other extra tax for this? I live in Delhi and we have no Octroi btw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 177
@prateekS will I be charged any other extra tax for this? I live in Delhi and we have no Octroi btw.
Nah, amazon price is final, once you receive it, call up delhi aramex customer care and ask for bill of entry, then email amazon for a refund of customs deposit, if the bill of entry shows lesser duty charged...

Btw isn't the Shipping cost way too much? Shipping costs almost as much as the product, wonder what the item is..

Isn't it applicable under free amazon global saver?

I suggest you pay in $, you will save 200-300,if u pay in $.

Nah, amazon price is final, once you receive it, call up delhi aramex customer care and ask for bill of entry, then email amazon for a refund of customs deposit, if the bill of entry shows lesser duty charged...

Btw isn't the Shipping cost way too much? Shipping costs almost as much as the product, wonder what the item is..

How much difference does it make if we pay in $ instead of rupees? Amazon's exchange rate is 65.5.If we pay in $ what will be the exchange rate levied?

@prateekS this is my first time importing.
Let me reply to you one-by-one for clarity.
They use Aramex? How long would the shipping take if I use the 5-10 days average shipping option (I plan to use this)?
And will the deposit get transferred directly to my bank account immediately after requesting for refund of deposit?
Btw isn't the Shipping cost way too much? Shipping costs almost as much as the product,
Worth it imo as the items are not found in India. I risk the warranty but they are still worth the trouble. Reason for high shipping charge, i believe, is because of the weight of the items. Some of them are heavy.
wonder what the item is..
Classified. :D :evilgrin:
IDK about this. Where do I get this info?
Will that help? I thought that the forex exchange would give negligible difference.
In INR=11796Rs.
In US$=$179
If you take $1 as 62Rs then $179 becomes 11098Rs. And 11796Rs into US$ becomes $190. So one can saved around $10 or 620rs. But if Amazon has a different exchange rates then I'm not sure.

Also I've applied a "wishlist share" discount offer. Can I get any other discount coupon code?

A brief guide for dummies would be great. :D

Note: I also contacted SnS a few times but couldn't understand what they said (taxes, duties and stuff confuse me) and the indirect shipping to SnS's US address and then again to India looked troublesome so I thought that I'd use amazon directly.[DOUBLEPOST=1387319667][/DOUBLEPOST]Did you mean this? Free shipping on total value of $125? but it also says "excluding the Import Fees Deposit, gift-wrap charges, duties, and taxes."
Update:
Okay I don't think that my items qualify for the Free AmazonGlobal shipping programme. They are outdoor hardware tools btw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_8.jpg
    Screenshot_8.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
@prateekS this is my first time importing.
Let me reply to you one-by-one for clarity.

They use Aramex? How long would the shipping take if I use the 5-10 days average shipping option (I plan to use this)?
And will the deposit get transferred directly to my bank account immediately after requesting for refund of deposit?

Worth it imo as the items are not found in India. I risk the warranty but they are still worth the trouble. Reason for high shipping charge, i believe, is because of the weight of the items. Some of them are heavy.

Classified. :D :evilgrin:

IDK about this. Where do I get this info?

Will that help? I thought that the forex exchange would give negligible difference.
In INR=11796Rs.
In US$=$179
If you take $1 as 62Rs then $179 becomes 11098Rs. And 11796Rs into US$ becomes $190. So one can saved around $10 or 620rs. But if Amazon has a different exchange rates then I'm not sure.

Also I've applied a "wishlist share" discount offer. Can I get any other discount coupon code?

A brief guide for dummies would be great. :D

Note: I also contacted SnS a few times but couldn't understand what they said (taxes, duties and stuff confuse me) and the indirect shipping to SnS's US address and then again to India looked troublesome so I thought that I'd use amazon directly.[DOUBLEPOST=1387319667][/DOUBLEPOST]Did you mean this? Free shipping on total value of $125? but it also says "excluding the Import Fees Deposit, gift-wrap charges, duties, and taxes."
Update:
Okay I don't think that my items qualify for the Free AmazonGlobal shipping programme. They are outdoor hardware tools btw.
How much difference does it make if we pay in $ instead of rupees? Amazon's exchange rate is 65.5.If we pay in $ what will be the exchange rate levied?

Aramex is pretty fast.
Do no use any upgraded shipping option, as then they will send via dhl, with Aramex there is always chance of low customs being charged. Use the cheapest shipping option available. Normally they use Aramex for global saver shipping, don't know about other modes.. I got my package from NY to mumbai in just 4 days, while estimated was 12 days.

Once they process a refund after verifying everything, it will come back to your original mode of payment..

Also if u pay in Rupees, it will be 200-400 costlier, that's what my experience has been always.. Amazon currency converter adds more than a rupee while converting..

@rock2702 ICICI charged me 64.4 yesterday, other banks might charge even lower... So yes amazon is charging 65.5 which is pretty high.

I believe the products you are buying don't qualify for Free Shipping because they are heavy.
And yes using them to ship to India directly via Aramex is the best option as that way you don't have to pay the 8.75% NY tax that you would if you were using Shopnship directly.
Also I can confirm that it is Shopnship themselves that handle all these Amazon shipments.

Guys - the free $125+ shipping sometimes doesnt show up on the cart "quick calculation view" page but gets deducted on the final checkout page.

Aramex is pretty fast.
Do no use any upgraded shipping option, as then they will send via dhl, with Aramex there is always chance of low customs being charged. Use the cheapest shipping option available. Normally they use Aramex for global saver shipping, don't know about other modes.. I got my package from NY to mumbai in just 4 days, while estimated was 12 days.
And yes using them to ship to India directly via Aramex is the best option as that way you don't have to pay the 8.75% NY tax that you would if you were using Shopnship directly.
Gee thanks guys. There was only 500rs difference in the upgrade so i thought that it was a good deal. 4 days is awesome prateek. \m/

Also if u pay in Rupees, it will be 200-400 costlier, that's what my experience has been always.. Amazon currency converter adds more than a rupee while converting.
Will do.

I believe the products you are buying don't qualify for Free Shipping because they are heavy.
Yes they are heavy.

@iPwnz : Acc. to your 2nd pic, you're eligible for Free AmazonGlobal Saver shipping (41$ getting deducted from total).
Ah I missed that. Was too sleepy. >_<

Once they process a refund after verifying everything, it will come back to your original mode of payment..
How will the confirmation take?

Need to confirm a few things before I place my order tomorrow (likely. Stupid banks closed today).
Pay in US$.
Use the default basic shipping option.
Items price: $126
Total amount- $165
Qualified for free shipping.
After getting confirmation notice from them I will get back the deposit $50.
So final amount which I will be charged is $116.60. approx 7500rs.
Correct?

I checked both rates and these are what I got:
In US$- $165.84
In INR- 10,886.42.
If Amazon charges 65.5/US$ then amount is Rs.10,862. 24 bucks difference. :p

Last edited:
Need to confirm a few things before I place my order tomorrow (likely. Stupid banks closed today).
Pay in US$.
Use the default basic shipping option.
Items price: $126
Total amount- $165
Qualified for free shipping.
After getting confirmation notice from them I will get back the deposit $50.
So final amount which I will be charged is $116.60. approx 7500rs.
Correct?

I checked both rates and these are what I got:
In US$- $165.84
In INR- 10,886.42.
If Amazon charges 65.5/US$ then amount is Rs.10,862. 24 bucks difference. :p
Don't count your chickens yet for the bolded part.
You might/might not be charged customs. And even if you get the BoE, there's no guarantee that AMZ will immediately refund the difference in customs. They might still ask you to wait for 60 days (official wait time). But yes, they will definitely refund if there's a difference.

Regarding the price, 165.84$ is ~10300, not 10886 ! Adding forex (0.035%), it comes to 171.7$, which is ~10600, still cheaper than the AMZ exchange rate.

Don't count your chickens yet for the bolded part.
You might/might not be charged customs. And even if you get the BoE, there's no guarantee that AMZ will immediately refund the difference in customs. They might still ask you to wait for 60 days (official wait time). But yes, they will definitely refund if there's a difference.
60 days?? HOLY COW!! I'm screwed if they dont refund it. :(
Regarding the price, 165.84$ is ~10300, not 10886 ! Adding forex (0.035%), it comes to 171.7$, which is ~10600, still cheaper than the AMZ exchange rate.
prateek said
amazon is charging 65.5

Last edited:
@iPwnz

Ideally you should not expect refund at all. Go with the assumption that whatever you are paying including import fees (on amazon global) is final amount and you won't get anything back. If you are lucky and less or no customs is charged then you get your refund else not.

60 days?? HOLY COW!! I'm screwed if they dont refund it. :(

prateek said
Yes, as prateek said, Amazon always charges higher than the current forex rate.
And what @raksrules is true. Don't expect refunds, but you can surely see how much customs was charged in the Aramex sheet were you'v to sign during delivery. In all possibility, Amazon will refund the difference (if any) within 60 days.
I used to contact the Amazon CSAs earlier to get refund on customs, but it's tough luck now. You can definitely give it a try.

This is turning into a nightmare. I'll contact amazon and get back.
update:
Looks like I won't have to pay any import tax other than the amount which I've already been charged on amazon. Its safe to order now I guess.
For newbs like me who dont understand the policy, it works like this:
Amazon takes an advance payment of import tax as "deposits". If the actual tax>deposits then you'll not be charged extra and if tax<deposits then the tax amount is subtracted from the deposits and whatever remains of it you'll be refunded. And the refund process takes 60 days from the day they ship your items.

Here's a tip: if you want to order from amazon make sure you order items are valued at $125 or more to get the free shipping. Its great. (y)
A big thanks to @prateekS for mentioning that. Else I would've paid over 4k extra unnecessarily (this is why i'm not in a hurry to buy stuff :p). But now I can get more items. Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_10.jpg
    Screenshot_10.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I am waiting for Amazon to include all items in global shipping. Everytime I try to ship stuff, they say item cannot be shipped to my address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back